General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New EC90 tubular wheels. Now, tires? Widths? Brands? Glue? techniques? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 2:21 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: New EC90 tubular wheels. Now, tires? Widths? Brands? Glue? techniques?
Hi there,

I've just bought my first pair of tubular race wheels (Easton EC90) and I'm so I'm now looking for a trusted brand of tubular tire to match. I've used Continental folding tires on my regular ol' wheels for a while and am happy with how they feel. Is there anything I should be looking out for in a tubular? What width tire would fit well on the EC90s? Do certain brands "match" certain wheel models better? What type of glue should I use?

Still lots to learn, so I appreciate any comments and resources!

2014-04-24 6:22 AM
in reply to: lee-j

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: New EC90 tubular wheels. Now, tires? Widths? Brands? Glue? techniques?
If you're not comfortable gluing the tires, then I would let your LBS take care of that for you. You don't want to have the tire roll off mid-race, not do you want to over glue the tire and increase rolling resistance.

I would stick with something like Continental GP4000 tubulars and use the Conti glue. You will need to pre-stretch the tire before gluing. Then you need to glue the tire in 2-3 steps (glue, dry, glue, dry, amount). When you glue, make sure you leave about 2" of un-glued area 180 degrees from the valve stem. You need this so you can get the tire off if you get a flat. Don't forget to get a spare tire and have that pre-glued.

I'm not a fan of glue tapeā€¦ if you get a flat and you rip the tire off, it tends to remove some of the casing with it, making it harder to mount the spare.
2014-04-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: RE: New EC90 tubular wheels. Now, tires? Widths? Brands? Glue? techniques?
Great info there, thank you for sharing!
2014-05-17 6:28 PM
in reply to: lee-j

User image

New user

Chicago
Just circling back to bump this up and see if anyone can share any advice? Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New EC90 tubular wheels. Now, tires? Widths? Brands? Glue? techniques? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tubular Glue Tape

Started by marcusmcgill
Views: 2452 Posts: 4

2013-06-25 10:51 AM magic

Brand New Trainer Tire Gunk

Started by GreenMtnLabbit
Views: 673 Posts: 2

2012-10-28 4:40 PM audiojan

"Breaking In" Brand New Tires

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 946 Posts: 6

2010-05-23 8:56 PM whollins

Pre-glued spare tubular Q

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1313 Posts: 12

2008-04-24 4:20 PM KathyG

Does anyone ride 19 mm width tires?

Started by Yellow_Dawg
Views: 680 Posts: 9

2007-04-06 6:09 AM sty
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 2
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.