General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Silicon Valley International Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Half Moon Bay, California
United States
USA Productions
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 39m 54s
Overall Rank = 97/332
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/18
Pre-race routine:

The Silicon Valley International Triathlon usually takes place in my hometown of Morgan Hill, which is located about 15 miles south of San Jose. But because of the drought this winter, race organizers moved it about 45 miles up the coast to Half Moon Bay. It didn't exactly feel like "Silicon Valley" -- maybe "Silicon Bay"? But at least there was plenty of water available for the swim.

I figured it would be easiest if I drove up the SF peninsula on Saturday and stay overnight at the Residence Inn in San Mateo. From there, it was about a 20-minute drive over the hill to Half Moon Bay.

Race-day logistics were a bit more complex than usual. The swim and T1 were at Pillar Point Harbor, which is about 4 miles north of Half Moon Bay. Pillar Point is the home of the infamous Mavericks surf break where the swells sometimes reach 60-80 feet. Fortunately though, PP Harbor is surrounded by a sturdy jetty, so there was no need to bring a surfboard. T2 was located just south of Half Moon Bay, off Highway 1 at a local historic park called the Johnston House.

I left the hotel at about 5 AM and dropped off my running shoes and related gear (in the dark) at T2, then got back in my car and drove north to T1 at PP Harbor. Parking was fairly easy and I managed to get T1 set up in about 15 minutes or so.

Event warmup:

My age group wave (M 50-54), was scheduled to start at 7:08 AM. I did some stretching, jogged for a while, visited the porta-potty, then put on my wetsuit and headed down to the swim start. I was just about ready to take a warmup swim when the RD announced there would be a delay in the start. Apparently, a shuttle bus carrying athletes from T2 was stuck in traffic. My wave finally got started at about 7:18.
Swim
  • 29m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a classic fog-shrouded Northern California coastal swim: Cool water temps, limited visibility. There wasn't much I could do about sighting. I just tried to follow the path of bubbles and hoped for the best. The water was an odd-colored beige. I felt okay for most of the swim. But, like everybody else, I did a ton of zig-zagging. It was impossible to see more than 50 yards ahead.

The swim reminded me of the movie Apocalypse Now, which follows an American patrol boat crew as they thread their way through a foggy, narrow passageway into Cambodia during the Vietnam War. In one particularly eery scene, the crew can't see anything through the fog, but they can hear a blaring loud speaker off in the distance. This is pretty much what the swim felt like as I approached the finish. All I could do was swim towards the sound of the loudspeaker and hope I navigated correctly.

I made it out of the water in abut 28 minutes, but there was a 2-block run to T1, which added about 2 minutes.

What would you do differently?:

I probably should have started more towards the left side of the buoys, which would have given me a more direct route through the course. I basically followed a trail of bubbles through the entire course. In hidsight, I should have been more selective about which bubbles to follow.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

No mishaps, but this wasn't a particularly fast transition. All of us had to stuff our wetsuits and goggles into a plastic bag before leaving T1.

I had too much stuff to put into the plastic bag. I didn't need the shoes. Flip-flops would have been better.

Bike
  • 1h 16m 24s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.41 km/hr
Comments:

The bike leg was fun -- call it an adventure ride. The fog only added to the experience. My sunglasses were wet and fogged up right from the start, which made things interesting. About 5 miles into the bike, I heard several blaring sirens and saw some flashing red lights out of the side of my sunglasses. I found out later there was an accident that caused a major traffic jam in town. Traffic was tight all along Highway 1, but I managed to hold my power in my goal range for most of the first half of the ride.

Just south of town, the course cuts directly across Highway 1 and heads east onto Higgins Canyon Road. For the most part, traffic control along the course was excellent. But my heart skipped a few beats when a cop let a car pull out in front of me as I was crossing the highway. I yelled out "Hey!" and the cop stopped the next car. No blood, no foul.

Higgins Canyon Road quickly heads into the nearby hills. I had previewed the bike course a few weeks earlier, so I knew what to expect. The slowest part of the course occurs at around mile 13 with a 9% sustained grade for a mile or so. The sun finally peaked out as I climbed the canyon. By the time I reached the summit, the fog was gone, and my sunglasses finally cleared up. The quick, short descent was fun while it lasted.

I was still going fairly strong through the rolling hills leading back down to the coast and onto Highway 1. In typical fashion, I'd pass several riders on the downhill, and then get passed up again on the uphill. This scenario repeated several times. A few miles after merging back onto Highway 1 and heading north, I got a little tentative and my pace fell off a bit. I was probably thinking too much about T2. My bike time was slower than I wanted it to be, but there were some pace-busting hills that probably had something to do with it...

I should have stayed better focused and kept my power up for the final 4-5 miles. I still had some zip left in my legs. But then again, if I'd gone any harder, I might not have had enough left for a decent run. It's hard to say.

Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

This was an average transition. Once again, I forgot to keep my sunglasses on when I removed my helmet. After putting on my shoes, I had to duck back under the bike rack and retrieve them. I remembered to put in an extra squeeze when I tightened the laces on my left shoe.

Run
  • 50m 1s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m  min/km
Comments:

When I first started competing in triathlons 3 years ago, running was best leg. Today, it appears that everything is reversed. My swim has somehow become my strength (which I still don't entirely believe) and running is now my weakness. I actually felt strong on the run for the first 3 miles of the SVIT, and thought I was headed for a breakthrough (my goal was to run my first-ever sub-50 minute 10K in a triathlon). But the running gods decided to play yet another cruel prank on me.

To go sub-50 minutes, I needed to average 8-minute miles. I started out with a 7:37 mile, followed by 7:57 for mile 2, and 7:54 for mile 3. So far so good, right:? Wrong. Just past the turnaround, at around the mile 3 marker, things quickly went sour. As I hung a U-turn, I felt a breeze hit my face and my legs started to get a little heaver. Uh oh...

A few steps later, a guy passed me on my right and offered some encouragement -- "You're doing good," he said, cheerfully. "Keep it up!" I looked at the age marked on his calf, and quickly realized why he was so cheery. He was 52 -- my age. Ugh... I felt something queezy stir in my stomach.

Normally, I don't care much about how I place in a race. I've never come close to a podium (top 3 finish) in my age group, so it's never been much of a concern. But this particular race was different. The top 33% of finishers in each age group automatically qualify for the USA Triathlon National Championship in Milwaukee in August. I knew I was a long-shot to qualify, but I was still holding onto a thread of hope. As it turns out, that uneasy feeling in my stomach was spot on.

The guy who passed me wasn't going terribly fast -- his feet were simply moving in a slightly quicker shuffle than mine. He slowly pulled away until he was about 35 yards ahead of me. At that point, I somehow summoned up enough extra movement in my legs to keep him from moving any further ahead. But my pace had still slipped to 8:05 a mile. By mile 5, I had slipped to 8:07. Mile 6 was even slower -- 8:20. Amazingly though, the guy who passed me earlier was still only 50 yards ahead.

With about 1/4 mile to go, I could see the finish banner ahead on a hill to the right. I still didn't know where I stood n qualifying, but I strongly suspected the guy in front of me might be the tail end of the top 33% in my age group. As the course moved onto a dirt trail and head up the final hill to the finish, I tried to make one last desperate move. But there was nothing there. Instead of going faster, my legs slowed down. I eventually stumbled across the finish line without gaining any ground.

Several minutes later, I looked at the final results and my suspicions were confirmed. The guy in front of me finished in 6th place in my age group. I finished in 7th -- 18 seconds behind him. There were 18 finishers. I was outside the qualifying bubble. Not only that, I had missed my goal of running an Oly triathlon 10K in under 50 minutes. My time? 50:01.

But there was at least a shred of good news to salvage. I somehow managed to slip under 2:40 in an Oly distance triathlon for the first time -- but just barely at 2:39:54. Just wait 'till next year...

I guess I just need to run faster and train harder. I'm improving. But it's a slow process.

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the expo area, ate a burrito, changed into dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need to train harder -- especially in the run. I need to do more work on the hills and improve my endurance.

Event comments:

This was a very well run race -- especially under the circumstances. The race organizers and the city of Half Moon Bay deserve a ton of extra eggs and candy from the Easter Bunny. Hopefully, they'll figure out a way to bring another triathlon back to Half Moon Bay in the future.

Last updated: 2014-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:47 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 0/332
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Pro
Course: Single loop, counter-clockwise triangular course that sliced between moored sailboats and the fog at Pillar Point Harbor.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:58
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:24 | 40 kms | 31.41 km/hr
Age Group: 8/18
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course starts out heading north from T1 along Airport Road, which appropriately enough, borders the Half Moon Bay Airport. After you pass the airport, there's a sharp right turn east and then another quick sharp turn south onto Highway 1. You stay on Highway 1 for about 7 miles and head through the town of Half Moon Bay. Just south of town, the course turns left across the highway onto Higgins Canyon Road. About a mile later, the hills begin. There's a particularly nasty 9% grade from about mile 13 to 14, followed by a short steep curvey downhill into Purisma Creek Redwoods Park. The course then heads west back towards the ocean through a series of rolling hills. Just as you get into a comfortable tuck and hit 35+ mph, there's a very sharp left turn onto Verde Road, which abruptly heads south. Eventually, Verde Road hits Highway 1, and you head north back towards T1 on Higgins Canyon Road.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:01 | 10 kms | 05m  min/km
Age Group: 10/18
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course. It starts inland on Higgins Canyon Road, then crosses Highway 1 and heads west towards the ocean. Just before you reach the ocean-front bluffs, the course moves from city streets onto a narrow dirt trail that cuts across a meadow. The dirt trail takes several zig-zags and eventually turns into asphalt. It passes by a campground just before the turnaround at around the 3-mile marker. Heading back, there's a slight uphill grade. About 200 yards from the finish, the course changes to a dirt trail and heads up a no-so-nice hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-22 7:48 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: Silicon Valley International Triathlon

2014-04-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4985447

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: RE: Silicon Valley International Triathlon
Great report Steve! Sorry about missing out on the qualifying spot but I don't think it's that far off in your future. It's a pretty good sign to be that close to a long term goal in your 10K pacing and still feel like you under performed, you'll have that knocked out in no time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Valley International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Silicon Valley International Triathlon

Started by sdswriter
Views: 889 Posts: 1

2011-06-18 9:21 PM sdswriter

Started by calimavs
Views: 1213 Posts: 5

2011-06-14 11:00 PM kt65

Started by The Trooper
Views: 1359 Posts: 3

2011-06-14 8:52 PM kmac1346

Started by kt65
Views: 1541 Posts: 12

2011-06-20 12:44 PM RoniS

Started by velcromom
Views: 1711 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 12:28 PM RoniS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.