General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle Commute to Work - Reducing Sweating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-22 7:51 PM

User image

Delco, PA
Subject: Bicycle Commute to Work - Reducing Sweating

In my case, I'm going to start riding to school again.  It's only around 5 miles away, but with a few large hills.

Last year, I would ride with different clothes, keeping my school uniform in my bag.  However, with a change of clothes, a bike lock, a few books, and different shoes (definitely not riding without cycling shoes), I end up riding with a huge bag which is a killer on the back when climbing.

So, I want to ride in my school clothes and not get ridiculously sweaty.

Curious if any of you commute to work in your work attire and have any tips.  Of course, riding very easily is the obvious one.  Any others you guys have?

2014-04-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: RE: Bicycle Commute to Work - Reducing Sweating
My ride to work is about 5 miles and I go DOWN one big hill. I can avoid becoming sweaty if I ride slowly and fight to control the urge to speed up when someone passes me. On the way home I ride faster and often take a longer route home to fit in a bit of bike training. Even if I don't ride faster it's hard to avoid sweating on my uphill trip home at the end of the day.

Can you lighten your load by leaving more things at school? (Maybe leave shoes in a locker and the bike lock on the bike rack?)

You could try panniers instead of using a backpack. Or there are backpacks with spaces and ventilation systems that are supposed to keep your back cooler. (I used to have one - I'm not really sure that it helped.)

That's all I got.
Don

Edited by donw 2014-04-22 8:23 PM
2014-04-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Delco, PA

Unfortunately I can't really leave much at school.  We don't have a bike rack so I just lock it to a bench outside the school, and it took me a while to convince the administration to let me do just that.

I'll look into those backpacks if I find riding slowly doesn't stop the sweating.

Thanks for the ideas.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning how it goes.

2014-04-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4985449

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Do you have a locker at school where you could keep your school clothes? A few years ago I had a good system going where I would drive to work twice a week, and ride the other 3 days. On my "drive days" I would re-stock all my work clothes and bring home all my dirty laundry.
2014-04-22 10:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
I have a bit of a shorter commute than you, but still hate to arrive all gross and sweaty. As long as you're commuting on a bike other than the one you do tris on, I HIGHLY recommend at least one pannier. My bike commuting life became a lot better once I got some. I have these: http://banjobrothers.com/products/current/panniers/waterproof-panni...

One small thing I like about those panniers is that they are fast on and off and they come with a shoulder strap for easy transporting off of the bike.

As far as panniers go, they're pretty inexpensive and spacious. On hot days, I ride in basketball shorts and put my work pants in the pannier with my nice shirt. I ride in just a plain white t-shirt. The plain shirt dries pretty quick and I just wait a few minutes for it to dry before putting on my other shirt. Getting the weight off of your back is amazing. I don't remember the brand of my rear rack, but it's whatever was cheap at the bike shop.

Good luck!

Edited by The Chupacabra 2014-04-22 10:06 PM
2014-04-23 10:33 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Veteran
I've seen several bike commuters on my drives to/from work that have pretty sizeable carriage bags on either side of their rear wheels. I have no clue what brand or even what they are called, but from a storage standpoint there looked like quite a bit of space. I don't know if it would reduce the sweating, as the weight is still the same, but it would at least get it off of your back.

2014-04-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

I have a bit of a shorter commute than you, but still hate to arrive all gross and sweaty. As long as you're commuting on a bike other than the one you do tris on, I HIGHLY recommend at least one pannier. My bike commuting life became a lot better once I got some. I have these: http://banjobrothers.com/products/current/panniers/waterproof-panni...

One small thing I like about those panniers is that they are fast on and off and they come with a shoulder strap for easy transporting off of the bike.

As far as panniers go, they're pretty inexpensive and spacious. On hot days, I ride in basketball shorts and put my work pants in the pannier with my nice shirt. I ride in just a plain white t-shirt. The plain shirt dries pretty quick and I just wait a few minutes for it to dry before putting on my other shirt. Getting the weight off of your back is amazing. I don't remember the brand of my rear rack, but it's whatever was cheap at the bike shop.

Good luck!

Agreed!

I've been bike commuting for seven or eight years and getting rid of the backpack and putting everything in panniers made a world of difference. I usually only have one pannier but have a second in case I have to carry more stuff and this frees me up to easily carry everything I need back and forth to work.

Shane
2014-04-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: C_Hassard

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I put up with a fairly big backpack. My commute is 6 miles and I leave the bag behind if I am trying to add some training miles on the way home.

I put up with it with the thinking that whenever I go compete I am going to feel light and be more aero thanks to losing the bag.

Medicated talc can help with feeling fresh if a full shower is not on at the end of your ride. Also have a look as there are tons of disposable body wipes out there. You can attempt a 'bird bath' with them once you cool down and not feel too grim.

Also remeber this

2014-04-23 10:51 AM

Regular
Corona
I have a decent commute (20-30 miles 1 way depending on route) and I'll bring my clothes the day before and leave them in a drawer.

We also have a shower here too so not like your situation but you could always leave your stuff and grab it the next morning when you come in.

I have ridden with a backpack as well and put all my stuff in there but my back gets super sweaty. I'm a heavy sweater anyways so the faster I go the more sweat dries off. Haha

Other than that you may just have to ride slower...
2014-04-23 11:09 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I ride into work about once a week. 12 miles with lots of hills(1100 ft of climbing ), using a backpack for about 4 years now. I get sweaty but basically get a quick sponge bath when I get to work. I'm sure your school has locker rooms at the gym, can you get there a little early to clean up?

My pack weighs about 20 lbs so it does not bother me much, however if your going to school you probably have books which get heavy real quick. If I were you I would look into panniers or a rack that you can strap stuff onto.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle Commute to Work - Reducing Sweating Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bicycle Commuting - Tips & Advice Pages: 1 2

Started by AndrewMT
Views: 2429 Posts: 30

2011-04-12 8:20 AM wgraves7582

Now this is Bicycle Commuting

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 701 Posts: 1

2007-12-07 3:04 PM marmadaddy

Commuting to Work on Bike- Need Motivation

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1359 Posts: 13

2006-03-08 12:58 PM Opus

Bike commute to work starts Monday Pages: 1 2

Started by Lookingtoride
Views: 1340 Posts: 28

2005-08-24 11:54 AM CLLinIA

Commuting to work

Started by Heavy-Dee
Views: 1053 Posts: 17

2005-04-07 8:35 AM Heavy-Dee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : October 10, 2009
author : qt2systems
In this fourth video of Training for an Ironman, Jesse Kropelnicki will discuss Ironman nutrition before and during the race. Includes carboloading and your race breakfast.
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?