General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick & It's Race Weekend! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 6:06 AM

User image

Subject: Sick & It's Race Weekend!
For 3 weeks I have been battling this cold which apparently is now a sinus infection. I tried to keep going (yeah, dumb I know) and mostly have gotten my workouts in for the previous 2 weeks. Last week I got almost nothing in.

My first tri of the season is Saturday with a half marathon the weekend after. The tri was going to be a B/C race anyway but I was really hoping to PR for the half.

So 4 days before the tri and 12 before the 1/2. Any words of wisdom of how to approach this?

Thanks!

2014-04-23 6:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Sick & It's Race Weekend!
Sounds like you are not so sick you can't do both races, so enjoy the experience of your first tri and do your best at the HM. Short of a cure for the common cold, not much more you can do than that.

Edited by Oysterboy 2014-04-23 6:25 AM
2014-04-23 8:40 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Get lots of rest, drink lots of water, avoid extra stress or being around sick people so you don't catch anything else, and either take off from training or just do easy stuff. I also take extra Vitamin C and zinc (just in case it works and to feel like I'm doing something), and try to decongest myself with lots of garlic and chili. You might also check with a doctor, on the chance it's bacterial and antibiotics might help. If viral, not much you can do but the above.

I have a long history of getting sick during taper (but strangely, very rarely at any other time) and according to my recent calculations have done about a third of my races when sick, usually with colds/sinus infections. Especially if it's all above the chest, you won't die. Might not feel the greatest, but you should be able to race reasonably well. Just be prepared for the illness to get worse or last longer than normal afterwards. In about 50% of the cases with me, it does. In the other 50%, I usually get well shortly after the race--no idea why!
2014-04-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: marathonkate

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The old chestnut is that you can continue training if your symptoms are above the neck, but should take time off if they're below the neck.

Of course that doesn't mean that it won't affect your performance.  I just got over a sinus infection (triggered by oak & pine pollen) that lasted almost a month.  I felt like crud, but was still able to run and ride.  I did take some time out of the pool on the advice of my PCP.

At the end of the day, you're the only one who can really evaluate your own condition.  The last thing you want to do is push too hard if there is a risk of prolonging your illness and screwing up your whole season.

Good luck.  Hope you get feeling better soon.

Mark

2014-04-23 12:40 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Regular
I had the sinus crud a couple of weeks ago, and the steam sauna at the gym felt great!!

Also, I used Afrin (generic from Wal-Mart) to relieve the congestion, and it works beautifully. BUT you really need to limit your use of that stuff to a couple of days, because you WILL become dependent on it to breathe in short order! Trust me on this. I used it for 3 days, and on the fourth was very tempting not to keep using it. Don't say you weren't warned.
2014-04-23 4:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I recently raced Texas 70.3 back on April 6 with only 2 days of antibiotics for Strep Throat in me. Doctor said if I was feeling better than I could give it a go and take myself out of the race if I wasn't feeling well (the Dr has a son who has raced Kona so I took his advise seriously).

Long story short - I was out 2 weeks from training post-race. I had a high fever for 3 days following the race not to mention I threw up on the bike twice.

Get the rest! My short-sightedness could have been much worse. No need to crush your body while it's already fighting a losing battle against an infection. I am just now getting back into training and I lost so much fitness gains I worked for a long time for.

PS - I was only 7 minutes off my PR for 70.3 even though I vomited twice on the bike, 1 moving and 1 stopped. NOT recommended.

Edited by Fmode11 2014-04-23 4:06 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick & It's Race Weekend! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Too Sick to train for tri this weekend?

Started by rungirl222
Views: 768 Posts: 8

2012-10-22 4:00 PM japarker24

Sick of being sick!

Started by triscott26
Views: 1151 Posts: 9

2010-01-31 1:53 PM FLiP129

Who's Racing This Weekend? (I know it's early) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 2069 Posts: 60

2007-08-18 11:07 AM chrisrunzs26

Anyone Racing the Subaru Niagara race next weekend

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 641 Posts: 1

2005-07-16 4:36 PM TimmyMay

I'm sick and sick of it !!

Started by troydorsey835
Views: 1372 Posts: 12

2005-02-24 3:14 AM easablade
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.