General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your aero bottle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 7:00 AM

Subject: Your aero bottle?
Looking for and aero bottle for my tri bike, what do you use and recommend?

2014-04-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Your aero bottle?

I use a Speedfil A2 with their Z4 cage.

Speedfil A2 and Z4

2014-04-23 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
You'll get different opinions, but I finally settled on just using regular bottles. One on the frame and the other between the aero bars in a zip tied cage. I started with the PD aero bottle, moved to the Xlabs setup then moved on to the A2 from speedfil. Each of these were a bit of a pain for different reasons.

I no longer have bottle setups with a 1/2 dozen parts to manage (straws, O-rings, bite valves etc.), are difficult to clean, prone to launch bottles (or leak), are difficult to grab in aero, all with the benefit of being able to grab the bottles right off the course. Very straight forward and has worked well for several HIMs and a full.
2014-04-23 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
My hydration depends on the ride. For sprints, it's just a cage zip-tied between the bars. If I really want to turn my bike into a camel, I've got the cage between the bars, an XLab turbo wing with 2 bottles behind the saddle and a Torhans ZR frame bottle that's been modified to hold a flat kit. Depending on the heat, that setup is good for around 3 hours of non-stop riding.

2014-04-23 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4985568

Was looking at running the xlab torpedo 400, just a little pricey. And a twin cage behind my seat. The xlab from what I can see has a front mount for the computer so that will make it a lot easier to look at rather than mounting it behind the bottle. That's what's selling that one to me at the moment but thought I would see what others run.
2014-04-23 8:51 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Jimmycolorado

Was looking at running the xlab torpedo 400, just a little pricey. And a twin cage behind my seat. The xlab from what I can see has a front mount for the computer so that will make it a lot easier to look at rather than mounting it behind the bottle. That's what's selling that one to me at the moment but thought I would see what others run.

I just got the xlab torpedo 100 about a month ago. Have a couple rides in with it but still working on it. The 400 is a lot more money for about 50grams weight savings. You decide if that's worth it to you.

I had a profile design before this but it was never really stable, so seeing good reviews I went for the Xlabs torpedo system.

So far this is what I have found:
1) the direction to set it up are useless- honestly who ever wrote them should be fire at best!
2) The Velcro straps to hold this in place are pathetic. you pull them all as tight as possible(you know when they are as tight as possible because the Velcro on the other side rips off) and the bottle bounces all over the place.
3) With the bouncing around you have to catch the straw before getting a drink.
4) the rear mounting bolt has a spacer to keep the bolt head up to engage the bottle, however this makes it nearly impossible to get the bottle in and out. I thought I was actually going to put a whole in the bottle and it did deform quit a bit.
5) The bouncing around also makes it impossible to read your computer, not to mention the distraction of the bottle bouncing around a couple inches under your nose.
6) The bottle and bite valve with solid cap work well, I have not yet tried the slotted cap for on the go refills yet.
The dolphin tail straw holder is useless as the cage goes all the way around the bottle(not what's shown in the advertised pictures) Not even moving I could not get the straw underneath that dolphin tail.
7) getting the bottle in and out past the computer mount is difficult and I have a small computer
8) view of the computer while riding is fantastic
9) bottle slide out on bumpy roads and pushes on computer, it does not fly off because the computer mount stops it

My fixes so far:
1) eventually you figure out how to set it up on your own.
2) Wire ties have been put in place to hold the system
3) Bouncing has almost been eliminated using wire ties
4) & 9) I do not have this worked out yet - the spacer hold the bottle in place but makes it near impossible to put the bottle in or take it out and thst without the computer mounted. Still working on this
5) wire ties cured this
6) Dolphin tail I have not worked out yet, thinking about putting a spacer to raise it up but for this to work I have to get a longer screw too.
7) This sucks but its once per ride so I'm dealing with it.
8) the view of the computer is great the mounting of this onto the base plate could have been a lot better(high school student could have designed it better)
9) still working on the issues- the bottle won't launch but it is annoying and it tend to rotate the computer forward.

The bottle/bite valve is pretty good but I can see it will be a bit difficult to clean.

This maybe one of the better systems out there, which really is pathetic. The concepts are good but the design was poorly executed. I'm sure I will have my system working well in another month or so, but I should not have to put that kind of time into making something do what the company said it would do.

2014-04-23 8:55 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Like others I have reverted to a simple bottle between the aero bars (plus one behind the seat). And for the usual issues with an aero bottle + straw... spilling, trying to refill in aid stations, etc. It's just simpler.
2014-04-23 11:16 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Groton, New York
I had a cage w/regular water bottle zip tied between my aero bars....I hit a pothole and one of the zip ties snapped right off...water bottle fell out into the middle of the road. A ton of fun. I too, am looking for a better setup. I like the idea of an aero bar mounted water bottle, but I will have to have a better mounting setup. Something that caters to a bike computer mount might be nice, assuming it doesn't snap off and throw my bike computer out into the middle of the road when I hit a bump.
2014-04-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: keqwow

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have an aerohammock between my aero bars and I use that for my water bottle they hand out on the course. I put my nutrition bottles on my cages
2014-04-23 12:29 PM

User image

Pro

I have a Profile Designs Aerodrink. I've used it 3 seasons. It works fine and even though I keep looking at other setups I haven't switched.

Only change I made was to put a piece of clear packing tape under the lid onto the foam rubber plug, and slice open it just enough to be able to squirt in water from a replacement bottle on the course. Otherwise you're getting soaked!

2014-04-23 12:31 PM
in reply to: smoom

I just use normal bottles, one between the aerobars, one on the frame. Super simple, no leaks.

There is one small caveat, though. I found that in some of the half-irons I've done, the on-course water bottles are so thin that they actually deform when half-full of water, so they are at risk of falling out of the cage. (They're really, really cheapo bottles that you'd never see sold in bike stores or sports stores.) If not for that, I'd have no issues whatsoever with this simple setup. As is, I am still looking for a viable system between-the-arms that is refillable. (Torhans, etc makes them, but they all have their own issuse)

2014-04-23 12:44 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I have a Profile Designs Aerodrink. I've used it 3 seasons. It works fine and even though I keep looking at other setups I haven't switched.

What he said .. I too mcgyvered a stop for the top and cut a hole for refill..

2014-04-23 1:47 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Jimmycolorado Was looking at running the xlab torpedo 400, just a little pricey. And a twin cage behind my seat. The xlab from what I can see has a front mount for the computer so that will make it a lot easier to look at rather than mounting it behind the bottle. That's what's selling that one to me at the moment but thought I would see what others run.
I just got the xlab torpedo 100 about a month ago. Have a couple rides in with it but still working on it. The 400 is a lot more money for about 50grams weight savings.

Other than the small weight savings (which I could care less about), the 400 comes with their good torpedo cage instead of the less nice cage that you see on the 100.  It solves the dolphin tail/straw issue that you experienced and it should make it easily usable with a standard bottle if you wanted to use those in certain circumstances.

I'll probably be ordering one in the next month or so.  So I cannot speak from first-hand experience.  But this is what I've been discovering from my research.

2014-04-23 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

This chart is now a couple of years old and doesn't include some of the latest torpedo-esque hydration solutions but you can see the PD Aerodrink isn't all that aero.

2014-04-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

This chart is now a couple of years old and doesn't include some of the latest torpedo-esque hydration solutions but you can see the PD Aerodrink isn't all that aero.

I've seen that. I also know that the few seconds saved over a half or full doesn't mean a thing to me. What matters is easily being able to hydrate easily.

2014-04-23 2:20 PM

User image

I've seen that. I also know that the few seconds saved over a half or full doesn't mean a thing to me. What matters is easily being able to hydrate easily.

Agreed. The moment you sit up you start negating aero benefits, and we've all sat up a few times in a HIM or IM. The speedfil on that list is also not the A2 but the frame mount I believe. As for PD, I know from speaking to Jim manton at ero sports that PD really has not come out with anything that tests very well ( based on raw aero data). He also said torhans is great IF you can mount it close to the stem, but not if not. But again should use whatever you can use conveniently to get hydrated and stay as aero as possible (which has more to do with fit and being able to stay in the bars)

Ftr I use a Z4 mounted to profile design HC mounts and sometimes use the A2 and sometimes a stand alone bottle, depending on the ride/race

2014-04-23 3:16 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by ChrisM

Agreed. The moment you sit up you start negating aero benefits, and we've all sat up a few times in a HIM or IM. The speedfil on that list is also not the A2 but the frame mount I believe. As for PD, I know from speaking to Jim manton at ero sports that PD really has not come out with anything that tests very well ( based on raw aero data). He also said torhans is great IF you can mount it close to the stem, but not if not. But again should use whatever you can use conveniently to get hydrated and stay as aero as possible (which has more to do with fit and being able to stay in the bars)

Ftr I use a Z4 mounted to profile design HC mounts and sometimes use the A2 and sometimes a stand alone bottle, depending on the ride/race

Wow oh wow.  I had no idea that the Jaw Angle of my whatcha call it was so bad.

I use this:

But I don't use al the clamps and stuff.  I just use really strong rubber bands and it works fine.  Only had to get a replacement sponge once.

Regular bottle on the down tube and maybe one in the rocket launcher location depending on the distance of the race.  For my sprints and Olys it's just the aero bottle. 

2014-04-23 5:24 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Franklin, TN

Regarding the bottle between the aerobars setup, I guessing that most of you use a cheap bottle (since it's going to be thrown away at the first handup) that has a open/close valve at the end.  On the handups in a race, do they give you that type of bottle?  I would think it would be a bit difficult to get a drink from a screw-cap type bottle if that is what they are handing out.

2014-04-23 5:28 PM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia

Only change I made was to put a piece of clear packing tape under the lid onto the foam rubber plug, and slice open it just enough to be able to squirt in water from a replacement bottle on the course. Otherwise you're getting soaked!

I managed to splash Perform all over myself and bike the other weekend at NOLA 70.3 because of that. Lesson learned!
2014-04-23 7:02 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I use the basic Profile Design aero bottle between my bars.  Has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.  Never had to replace the yellow sponge thing and really dont have an issue with refill or splashing during the race. 

I am definitely not at the level where a couple grams of drag are going to make a difference.  I am more worried about hydration during longer races and being able to stay aero why keeping hydrated.

2014-04-23 7:05 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Originally posted by JoelO

Regarding the bottle between the aerobars setup, I guessing that most of you use a cheap bottle (since it's going to be thrown away at the first handup) that has a open/close valve at the end.  On the handups in a race, do they give you that type of bottle?  I would think it would be a bit difficult to get a drink from a screw-cap type bottle if that is what they are handing out.

Last three WTC races I did, they give out the small plastic water bottles, with the little blue flip top.  you know, the kind that go rocketing from the behind the seat cage because they don't fit??

2014-04-23 7:09 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

X2

+ i add at the end of the straw $7.99 @ speedfil

(yhst-13342537929780_2271_1332847.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
yhst-13342537929780_2271_1332847.jpg (15KB - 1 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your aero bottle? Rss Feed