General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TV Show Episodes with triathlon in it...Magnum PI ironman episode Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 9:11 AM

User image

St. Peters, MO (St. Louis)
Subject: TV Show Episodes with triathlon in it...Magnum PI ironman episode
I grew up watching Magnum PI occasionally when at my grandma's house. I saw it was on netflix and so I cycled through the synopsis of the first season shows and the last episode in the season talked about Magnum doing the ironman race. So...I watched it. Again, this is tv folks...but the ironman in their world was a 5 mile swim, marathon run, and to end it a 100 mile bike. It was entertaining to see our sport on tv even in this old, not accurate fashion. His client/coach even asks if he has taken a salt tablet and talks about having his amino acid solution or something ready, etc. A funny quote by Higgins about the origins of the word marathon from the Persians/Greeks was funny...so was Magnum's reluctance to put his body through the race in the beginning. Anyway, wanted to pass this on to those who might be interested. Got me thinking, what other tv shows have a 'triathlon' episode?

imdb link to episode: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0639627/?ref_=tt_ep_ep18 (Beauty Knows No Pain) <---heh

Edited by justified 2014-04-23 9:16 AM

2014-04-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: justified

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: TV Show Episodes with triathlon in it...Magnum PI ironman episode

A few years ago the remake of Hawaii 5-0 had a triathlon as part of the plot. Something about bank robbers and riding off on tri bikes and getting lost in the race. kinda silly

2014-04-23 3:16 PM

Veteran
Not a triathlon episode, but couple weeks ago was watching ESPN classic at the gym and they had this battle of the network stars. They had teams for CBS, ABC and NBC. they had a swim race with 6 team members all doing diving starts into the pool - I was pretty impressed, a steeple chase run, a kayak race, etc. Howard Cosell was the commentator, and the actors/actresses included Ann Jillian, Jimmie Walker, Penny Marshall and our guy Magnum PI. It was hilarious to watch, except for a few inappropriate touching moments reminiscent of Joe Namath trying to kiss Kolber. Selleck was a heck of a swimmer and Scott Baio was an astounding athlete.
2014-04-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Veteran
Minnesota
Not triathlon, but I remember chuckling at an episode of CSI. The team was doing a running relay. One of the young hot shots is doing his leg and the scene shows him hitting an aid station. He sprints in, takes a little swig from a water bottle, recaps it and casually chucks it before speeding off without breaking a sweat. Of course they find a dead body along the route and the real show begins, but I am amused at how tv/movies sometimes depict sports.
2014-04-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: TriJedi

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
There was an episode of EXTREME MAKEOVER: WEIGHT LOSS EDITION with Chris Powell who was helping a young guy drop weight. One of his goals was to compete in a triathlon and he lost weight and trained for St. Anthony's and they showed a good bit of the race in the show.
2014-04-23 4:17 PM

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
There was an episode of Scrubs where JD does a triathlon (Season 5, epsiode 3). They day before he turns 30 he realizes that he hasn't done anything on his before-30 bucket list, and so he tries to do a triathlon with no training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAjzdeCGKc
(The tri-related part starts at 11:30-ish)

2014-04-23 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Criminal Minds used triathlon as a dating service a few years back. Main character meets a beautiful and coincidentally single woman while on a training run. They actually drug the theme out for most of the season and wrapped it up with him finishing the race and running into the arms of his new flame.
2014-04-23 11:13 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Trying to look where to watch this movie online:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088899/
2014-04-24 8:11 AM
in reply to: morsebj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by morsebj

There was an episode of Scrubs where JD does a triathlon (Season 5, epsiode 3). They day before he turns 30 he realizes that he hasn't done anything on his before-30 bucket list, and so he tries to do a triathlon with no training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAjzdeCGKc
(The tri-related part starts at 11:30-ish)

I remember this one. They pronounced it "triathAlon" the whole time and it drove me nuts!
2014-04-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
There is an Episode of How I met Your Mother featuring the NY Marathon.

One or two running jokes but nothing to shout home about. Plus some annoying crap like Marshal going out for his last big training run the day before the Marathon.
2014-04-24 11:22 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

I think The Mindy Project had an episode with a triathlon in it as well - I'm still getting caught up...

Rizzoli and Isles had an episode featuring a marathon and a killer who was running it and they only had until the end of the marathon to solve the case - I like the series, and the books, but they aren't comparable

2014-04-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brucemorgan

A few years ago the remake of Hawaii 5-0 had a triathlon as part of the plot. Something about bank robbers and riding off on tri bikes and getting lost in the race. kinda silly

I remember seeing this one, it was HORRIBLE!  They were trying to scale the side of a building or something still wearing their helmets & cycling shoes, then running through the hallways and magically their shoes made NO noise on linoleum flooring.  Magic!  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TV Show Episodes with triathlon in it...Magnum PI ironman episode Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pi day (3/14) Pi K

Started by ettringite23
Views: 514 Posts: 2

2014-03-14 9:26 PM ejshowers

Starting Over: Season 1, Episode 1 The Swim

Started by Sea Pickle
Views: 1654 Posts: 16

2012-11-08 10:14 PM ziggie204

scary hyperventilation episode

Started by Katja
Views: 946 Posts: 5

2011-09-11 5:14 PM Katja

Triathlon TV Show/Coverage Listings

Started by TeamAngel
Views: 845 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 10:20 PM SWIM2LIVE

Movies / TV shows for Spinning

Started by snake111
Views: 983 Posts: 12

2006-03-29 12:29 PM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : September 26, 2004
author : Browe79
This man’s story was so inspiring that my brother and I committed to doing an Ironman by the time we turned thirty.