General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Storing Tubes/Tools on the Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 10:12 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Storing Tubes/Tools on the Bike
I am curious as to what type of setup people use to store tools and extra tubes on the bike. I have tried different options and found a system I like, but I am making some changes to my setup and need to (probably) find a new location.

I am currently using a Profile Design RM System 1 with CO2 Mount with 2 bottles behind the saddle that conveniently has enough space between the cages and saddle for me to put my Levers, CO2, and Tubes taped together with electrical tape and mounted behind the cages and under the saddle. However, now I am considering going with a single bottle behind the saddle that will be zip-tied to the saddle rails, thus eliminating the open space where my items were stored. If I go with this setup, I need a new location for my items.

The rest of my setup consists of a single bottle between the arms and an PD E-Pack on the top tube that I use for nutrition. I don't have a cage on my down tube.

Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. I am curious to see what others do. I have some time to tweak my setup and I will use different ones for my different race distances (Sprint, Oly, 70.3).

Thanks, in advance.

***Note, my profile pic shows my setup. However, in this race I put tools in one of the bottles behind the saddle so you don't see them in the picture, but you can see the empty space that I used for other races and am currently using for storage space.

Edited by Parkie 2014-04-23 10:14 AM

2014-04-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: Parkie

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Storing Tubes/Tools on the Bike

I just use a small saddle pack with a mini inflator, 2 CO2  cartridges, a spare tube, a patch kit and a mini multi-tool.

I carry it all the time, even in sprint races, if for no other reason to make sure I don't have a long walk home if I flat.  

I've only had one flat in a race.  Fortunately I was only a couple hundred yards from T2, so I jogged it in rather than taking the time to fix it.

Mark 

2014-04-23 12:33 PM

User image

I used to use a small tiny zipped pack behind my seat.

A pro-triathlete-friend recently taught me to just wrap my spare tubes tight and affix it up under the seat with some electrical tape. (Same for CO2.)

It's super quick to rip off and no zippers to fuss with.

I know it's not very high tech, but I was pleasantly surprised how it works out mid-race.

2014-04-23 12:52 PM

User image

Pro

I have a tube and CO2 in a shrink-wrapped bag and two tire levers around it, all under the seat.

(saddle3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
saddle3.JPG (28KB - 100 downloads)
2014-04-23 1:02 PM
in reply to: x10

User image

Extreme Veteran
i carry 1 tube and all my co2's and all my tools in my aero box on back of my bike. then I tape a extra tube under the seat. during a sprint i only carry 1 tube and 1 co2
2014-04-23 1:21 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

For short races or TTs where I don't need to eat anything on the bike, I use my bento box to store the flat kit.  For longer races I stuff one tube and CO2 under the seat like Brian pictured above, and I also carry another tube/CO2 in my rear tri top pocket that's in a ziplock bag.  It only takes 2 seconds to stuff it back there in T1 and remove it in T2.  

2014-04-23 1:50 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Orange County, California
I have a timbuk2 bag (medium) under my saddle. In it, I carry two tubes, two CO2 + nozzle, multi tool, and two tire levers.

I'm not going to win a race...at least not any time soon. So I like to have everything on me at all times just in case.

Also, the medium size bag fits really well on my bike and stores a lot. On training rides I can store my iPhone, ID, credit card, and cash in it as well.
2014-04-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I have all items stored in a frame mounted Torhan's VR bottle.  They have a cut line on the bottle as a guide for cutting it.  I have 2 tubes, 2 HD levels, 2 CO2 cartridges and the CO2 dispenser head in there.  The DSP bento box is for nutrition, keys, ID, etc.

2014-04-24 11:34 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
I have a bento box/pod/whatever on my top tube. Got it on trisports.com for $25.
2014-04-24 4:05 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

1 tube, 1 tire tool, 1 Co2 in a baggy in my jersey pocket
2014-04-24 4:49 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

I have a tube and CO2 in a shrink-wrapped bag and two tire levers around it, all under the seat.

This is what I do for tri's (except I never though about shrink-wrapping! Great idea!). I've mostly been bike racing lately and don't carry anything for TT's. Nekkid.

2014-04-24 5:04 PM
in reply to: MonkeyClaw

User image

I just have a saddle bag under my seat, I always carry 2 tubes, 2 co2 and adapter, and levers. I also throw my wallet, keys and phone in there a lot of time. On race day I might put some extra nutrition in there.
2014-04-24 7:17 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by Donto

I have all items stored in a frame mounted Torhan's VR bottle.  They have a cut line on the bottle as a guide for cutting it.  I have 2 tubes, 2 HD levels, 2 CO2 cartridges and the CO2 dispenser head in there.  The DSP bento box is for nutrition, keys, ID, etc.

X2 on the Torhans VR bottle. I love not having the saddlebag anymore.
It makes for an all around cleaner setup.
2014-04-24 11:20 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Richland, Washington
I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when I'm out with the bike.... I just use black electrical tape and wrap up a tube with a Co2 canister and a tire lever and shove it under the seat. If I need more tubes for the race I can do some adjusting and put 2 under the seat.
2014-04-25 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
On my tribike my setup is simple:

Single bottle mounted horizontally on the aerobars - generally will have some type of sports drink
Bento box - CO2 and chuck, levers, tube, $5 bill, maybe a gel

If I were racing or training longer than a single bottle would permit, I would either add a cage and bottle to my downtube or a Specialized Aero bottle on the frame and a single cage behind the seat.

Shane
2014-04-25 7:41 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I have a Speed Concept so the draft box holds all that for me.

2014-04-25 9:29 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for all the input everyone! I especially like the pics.

I really like the under the seat idea. I think I am going to be working with a lot of electrical take and some creative packaging (shrink wrap) to get it in there. One thing I will also look at is my CO2 needs. The head on the tool is a bit large, but maybe I can find a more compact model.

Thanks again all!
2014-04-25 9:57 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Parkie Thanks for all the input everyone! I especially like the pics. I really like the under the seat idea. I think I am going to be working with a lot of electrical take and some creative packaging (shrink wrap) to get it in there. One thing I will also look at is my CO2 needs. The head on the tool is a bit large, but maybe I can find a more compact model. Thanks again all!

I didn't mention it in my post, but I also have a bento box. Not everything fits under the seat. I keep an extra CO2 in there and a multitool, credit card, and some money when I'm not racing. Also a tube of electrolyte tabs. You can't imagine how much they've come in handy when you're on a long ride and the sun starts baking.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Storing Tubes/Tools on the Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mounting option for spare tubes and tools.

Started by Tri-Fire
Views: 931 Posts: 3

2012-05-18 3:22 PM jackson61802

What do you carry tools/tube/C02/ hydration for IM distance

Started by DLR1
Views: 1370 Posts: 10

2012-01-24 2:16 PM jackson61802

Anaheim Bike store/Tri store

Started by TrevorC
Views: 877 Posts: 5

2011-01-20 12:08 AM etadeja

Water Bottle to hold tube, tools, etc.

Started by shallowsaltwater
Views: 8236 Posts: 22

2008-05-09 9:12 PM shallowsaltwater

What do you do with bike tools/tubes?

Started by fattyboombalatty
Views: 853 Posts: 8

2006-04-06 9:21 PM RedCorvette
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?

date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.
date : December 14, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
Learn to perform routine maintenance on your bike. Knowing basic maintenance will make you a better rider. You’ll also come to recognize the complexity and beauty of this machine.

date : September 8, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 3
Online triathlon superstore, created for triathletes, by triathletes. We carry the highest quality triathlon equipment, triathlon gear and triathlon apparel.