General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit recommendation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 1:51 PM

User image

Subject: Wetsuit recommendation
I'm doing my first 70.3 this June in lawrence and I have been looking around into buying/renting a wetsuit.
i do not have much experience with this subject and thoughts that you guys might be able to help.

Let me start with saying that i am a decent swimmer (i can easily average 1:50/100m over a 40 min swim). So i'm not as much interested in the floating ability of the wetsuit (although it is a great addition) as i am interested in not being cold in the water (i do not like cold temperatures).

I'm not sure if i should buy or rent a wetsuit. heck i am not even sure what to look for in a wetsuit and what is the differences between them.

have any of you guys used wetsuit rental? if so what was the experience ? would it be better just buying one?
wetsuit rental offer a rental for one week for $65 while i found one on amazon new for $90.
here is the link for that. http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Reactor-Black-Medium/dp/B004I...

would you guys recommend the ONeil wetsuit as it is only $24 more but then it is mine.

Thanks for the help in advance

2014-04-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: samish15

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Wetsuit recommendation
Originally posted by samish15

I'm doing my first 70.3 this June in lawrence and I have been looking around into buying/renting a wetsuit.
i do not have much experience with this subject and thoughts that you guys might be able to help.

Let me start with saying that i am a decent swimmer (i can easily average 1:50/100m over a 40 min swim). So i'm not as much interested in the floating ability of the wetsuit (although it is a great addition) as i am interested in not being cold in the water (i do not like cold temperatures).

I'm not sure if i should buy or rent a wetsuit. heck i am not even sure what to look for in a wetsuit and what is the differences between them.

have any of you guys used wetsuit rental? if so what was the experience ? would it be better just buying one?
wetsuit rental offer a rental for one week for $65 while i found one on amazon new for $90.
here is the link for that. http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Reactor-Black-Medium/dp/B004I...

would you guys recommend the ONeil wetsuit as it is only $24 more but then it is mine.

Thanks for the help in advance

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that the O'neill Reactor is not a triathlon wetsuit. You really do not want a wetsuit that is not designed specifically for racing. You will end up using far more energy due to the suit. The wetsuit should keep you warm and naturally will provide some boyancy. A non-swimming/non-tri wetsuit is more restrictive in the arms and shoulders.

Personally, I would not rent a wetsuit, simply because I've found that I can purchase one new or used for about 1.5Xs the rental cost. I just purchased a brand new, high end wetsuit for my wife for $112 shipped. This is for her first (and possibly only) triathlon but I figure I can re-sell it if I need to.

I would look for used triathlon wetsuits here, Slowtwitch and also craigslist. Another option is a vendor like Xterra Wetsuits (http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/). You can use the coupon code "BT" for 60% off. I own one of these suits.

Honestly, for about $100, you should be able to find a decent suit designed for triathlon if you look around a bit.
2014-04-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

I looked at the xterra website but all their suit in my size are on back order until june 5th ( right before the race).
do you guys have any recommendation for places to look other than here or craigslist?
also if you have any coupon codes, it will be great
2014-04-23 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Don't buy the ONeill. It's not made for endurance/triathlon swimming... I've swam in other types of wetsuits and they hold way too much water, slowing you down.

I first rented a triathlon-specific wetsuit from wetsuitrental.com for my first race. I think I only paid $45 (although it may be more now), but what I like about their service is they put the rental fee towards the purchase of a used wetsuit. I liked the wetsuit I rented, so I ended up purchasing it, and the original rental fee was subtracted from the cost of the suit. I'd suggest at least renting one first. You may like full sleeves or prefer short sleeves. It gives you time to actually decide what you want.

Locally, I BELIEVE Elite cycling has some for sale/rent, but not 100% sure on that.
2014-04-24 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Originally posted by samish15

• .. i am interested in not being cold in the water (i do not like cold temperatures).

• For what its worth, the water temp at Clinton Lake for this race has hovered around the cutoff for wetsuits (78 degrees) for at least the past 4/5 years and has never been cold in my experience.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit recommendation Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Anyone scrambling for a wetsuit? Can buy or rent mine

Started by Jayhox
    Views: 1020 Posts: 4

2013-06-08 6:09 PM Jayhox

Where to find wetsuits in KS?

Started by TriMomKS
    Views: 1107 Posts: 13

2013-04-23 8:45 PM TriMomKS

Massage Recommendations in JoC

Started by Ranski
    Views: 736 Posts: 4

2012-09-12 8:37 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Wetsuit for Midwest Mayhem?

Started by mcfc57
    Views: 1475 Posts: 7

2009-06-12 8:43 AM mcfc57
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : December 19, 2013
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 1
    Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : September 24, 2012
    Your wetsuit is a substantial investment, and proper care will extend its life considerably.
    date : February 4, 2010
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    comments : 0
    Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : April 22, 2009
    author : Nancy Clark
    Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
    date : November 17, 2008
    author : Ontherun
    In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : September 3, 2008
    author : Ontherun
    The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.
    date : August 20, 2008
    author : Tri Swim Coach
    I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : April 2, 2006
    author : TriDoc5280
    comments : 2
    This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.