General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tat Q - again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Tat Q - again

I finally pulled the trigger and scheduled a tattoo / permanent branding of a moment in my life in recognition of "I can't believe I crossed the finish line at IMAZ last year" moment.  Nothing overly artistic.  Actually just a simple M-Dot on my right shoulder.  My wife says get something simple to reflect who I am.  Wait, that now sounds kind of snarky on her part.... anyways I digress.

Here's the gig.  Tat is scheduled for Tuesday next week.  First triathlon is set for the next Saturday.  3.5 days later. 

It's a pool swim so I think the heavy doses of chlorine will kill all the creepy crawlies and I can lube up with some SPF 50 sunscreen so that it should stay protected from the sun.  This race was my first triathlon a few years ago and now I think  I may even have a chance at an AG podium if some people don't race of course. 

But I really just want to be "that guy" with his IM Tat running in a sprint tri. 

Two Questoins:

1.  Is it a Bad idea?

2.  Does the IM Tat now make it really douch-y for me to compete in sprint tris?

Thanks all.  Have a great Hump Daaaaay!

2014-04-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: RE: Tat Q - again

I would ask the tattoo artist regarding swimming and the sun exposure.

As for being "that guy", I don't think it's bad at all. Just means you are active in the triathlon scene regardless of the distance. Might even give a bit of inspiration to others.

2014-04-23 3:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I can't tell if this is a sarcastic post or not, but if not...

1. The majority of advice I can find online says to wait 2 weeks after getting a tattoo to get in a chlorinated pool.
Tattoos should be allowed to heal for a minimum of 2 weeks - until all flaking and peeling is finished and all scabs have fallen off. Even then, you're taking a risk getting in a highly chlorinated pool, especially if you stay for an extended period of time. A tattoo is not considered fully healed until a new layer of protective skin has grown over it - this process usually takes about 3 months. Until then, your tattoo is most vulnerable to all elements - sun, chemicals, pollution, etc. This is why getting a tattoo during the summer is not recommended, especially for swimmers and beach bunnies! If you've already got the tattoo, all I can really recommend now is stay out of the pool for at least 2 weeks and then keep your swimming to a minimum if you absolutely must go. If you can hold out for the full 3 month perdiod, you'll be doing your new tattoo a great service and I guarantee that it will have been worth the sacrifice.

2. Not sure what difference it makes if you're in a sprint or triple-Ironman event... if the tattoo is on your body it's on there for good. If you are worried about what people will think when they see it, you might want to re-consider it or it's placement.

Edited by lisac957 2014-04-23 3:39 PM
2014-04-23 3:38 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert

Originally posted by MOlsen

I would ask the tattoo artist regarding swimming and the sun exposure.

As for being "that guy", I don't think it's bad at all. Just means you are active in the triathlon scene regardless of the distance. Might even give a bit of inspiration to others.

Oooh.  I like that take on it. 

The tat guy says that he wouldn't do it but he also says that he thinks swimming, biking, and running is retarded.  Yes, he uses the "R" word.

2014-04-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert

Originally posted by lisac957

1. The majority of advice I can find online says to wait 2 weeks after getting a tattoo to get in a chlorinated pool.
Tattoos should be allowed to heal for a minimum of 2 weeks - until all flaking and peeling is finished and all scabs have fallen off. Even then, you're taking a risk getting in a highly chlorinated pool, especially if you stay for an extended period of time. A tattoo is not considered fully healed until a new layer of protective skin has grown over it - this process usually takes about 3 months. Until then, your tattoo is most vulnerable to all elements - sun, chemicals, pollution, etc. This is why getting a tattoo during the summer is not recommended, especially for swimmers and beach bunnies! If you've already got the tattoo, all I can really recommend now is stay out of the pool for at least 2 weeks and then keep your swimming to a minimum if you absolutely must go. If you can hold out for the full 3 month perdiod, you'll be doing your new tattoo a great service and I guarantee that it will have been worth the sacrifice.

2. Not sure what difference it makes if you're in a sprint or triple-Ironman event... if the tattoo is on your body it's on there for good. If you are worried about what people will think when they see it, you might want to re-consider it or it's placement.

Not sarcastic at all.  Thanks for the tip.

I also read that if you double apply waterproof sun screen that it shoudl be okay too.

2014-04-23 3:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

I also read that if you double apply waterproof sun screen that it shoudl be okay too.

I believe that advice is sage for AFTER it has completely healed.

I am reading new tattoo FAQs and they all say to treat a brand new tattoo like an open wound... and specifically say not to put sunscreen on new tattoos since it's still healing. Best bet in the sun is to keep it covered while it's healing. Just what I am reading.

2014-04-23 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

you're going to rip that sucker. and if you rip it that's permanent.  While SBR-ing you move around and your skin is pulled around.

2014-04-23 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
My vote would be to wait on the tat due to all the health reasons already mentioned. You can always re-schedule the appt but not any permanent damage by racing with a fresh wound.

My issue is going to a tat artist who thinks your accomplishments are "retarded". Find a new artist, one who respects your accomplishments and is not just doing the work for the money. The resulting tat itself usually shows the artist passion for their work and in this case, I would say his passion is far from what I would select.

Let us know what you decide.
2014-04-23 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Are you more tired after an IM? Yes.  Is it longer? Yes.  However, a sprint tri isn't necessarily easier or less of an achievement than a full IM--it's all in the execution and POV. 

I don't think there's anything douchy about someone who does IMs doing a sprint.  I don't like tats, so that part complicates my answer, but let's say it was something else about you that said "I have done an IM"--no problem with doing a sprint, and I wouldn't think twice about it if I saw you on the course.

2014-04-23 4:57 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Lisa's advice is correct - NO swimming for 2 weeks after a tattoo, make sure you use Bacitracin (or a similar topical antibiotic) twice a day for at least 4-5 days and moisturize it with lotion several times a day until it's finished scabbing/flaking.  

I just had my latest one done at the end of March and had to wait a little over 2 weeks to get back into the water because it still had a couple of small areas that were scabbed over. 

In terms of the tattoo itself, who cares what you get, it's YOUR body and YOUR accomplishment.  Get what you want!   

2014-04-23 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I don't have tattoo care advice, but you're not that guy- otherwise, I've done some marathons, does that mean I can't show up and enjoy a local 5K with my friends? Only you determine if you're "that guy" by how you act.

2014-04-23 5:01 PM

User image

Don't do the race.

Wait your two weeks.

You are NOT the only one with an IM tattoo in pretty much any race you do.

2014-04-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Houston
Originally posted by DanielG

Don't do the race.

Wait your two weeks.

You are NOT the only one with an IM tattoo in pretty much any race you do.

This. Or reschedule the tattoo. And it's not just swimming it's sweating.
A friend was going bonkers not training and went for a run within the week and his ink 'sweated' out. He had to go back in for a retouch and had to wait to train all over again.
2014-04-24 9:50 AM
in reply to: KeriKadi

User image

I still haven't gotten my Dopey Challenge tattoo because I haven't had a long enough lull in training to let it heal. 

Maybe after Augusta... 

Meh.. maybe not.

2014-04-24 11:50 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
You need to wait & give the tat time to heal or else you will have a crappy looking tat in the end, especially if you are using colors, and especially if the main color is a dark one, like red.

I have my fraternity badge tattooed on my ankle. The big Delta on it is red. The rest is Buff (gold) & black. I followed all the instructions & lotioned the hell out of it. Kept it covered. Avoided the water. Etc, etc, etc. At the end of 2 weeks, one scab was still left on about a third of the red Delta. I started to rub lotion on it more aggressively until I finally ended up pulling the scab off prematurely. Guess what came off with it? Yep, all the color. Thankfully the place where I got it guarantees their work, so I got it redone for free, but I had to start that two week clock all over again.

Find a time where you plan to take 2-3 weeks off of hardcore training, especially in the pool, and reschedule the ink for then.

Plus, find a new cool tattoo artist. They see all kinds of crazy crap, so for this guy to call your hobby retarded is pretty...well, what he said.

Go see Nekkid Nate here in Atlanta! http://youtu.be/ewl5cs7O6Os
2014-04-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Extreme Veteran
I say do it! Make sure you capture video of all the conversations you have with people!

"You do an ironman?"...."No, this is my first triathlon."
"Was that bleeding in the pool?"...."yeah, I guess so."

Just don't DNF. That would be worse.

http://instagram.com/p/j6M3e8u1cj/

In all honesty: if a tattoo isn't worth waiting for, then it isn't worth having on your body.

2014-04-24 1:04 PM

User image

NC

2.  Does the IM Tat now make it really douch-y for me to compete in sprint tris?

People that think IM tattoos are douchey think so regardless of the distance of the race you happen to be racing that day.

2014-04-24 1:41 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert

I appreciate all the sincere replies. 

I cancelled the appt and will wait until after my last tri of the year.  Certainly not going to drop out of a race I've already paid for .  That woudl be nuts.  LOL on the Broncos tat.  He had to lose a bet or something big.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tat Q - again Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Collection of Cycling NOOB Qs

Started by buzzyng
Views: 1448 Posts: 9

2012-05-08 12:50 AM buzzyng

Winter Cycling -- More Qs

Started by GordoByrn
Views: 1197 Posts: 7

2008-10-29 5:49 PM pitt83

Tri-Tat Pages: 1 2