General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In GPS We Trust Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 3:41 PM

Subject: In GPS We Trust
found this interesting from the race director of a Boston Qualifying Race:

In GPS We Trust

I want to address an issue on which I usually get one or two questions a year. Sometimes people think that the course is a tad long on their GPS. Personally I had always felt that the course was a tad long--maybe 26.33 miles on my Garmin. The first year of the race before we were certified when I measured it myself on my Garmin we used a slightly different (slightly shorter) course. A group of about 8 runners from the running club that year checked it on their Garmins and their average came out exactly to the 26.2 that I had measured (but some were a tad higher and some a tad lower).

However, once we had the course certified, the current course is the distance as it was certified by the independent measurer for certification. In speaking (arguing) with him about this when he first set it, he told me that their method of measuring with a calibrated bicycle wheel measure is more accurate than GPS. I never really believed him until I started riding it on my bike. And I have to say that when I ride the course on my bike it comes out exactly 26.2 on my bike computer (based on wheel revolutions not GPS).

Since then I have gone to two different race director conferences where they have discussed this issue and said that GPS is not as accurate as the certification method. Apparently this issue is not just our race but a not uncommon issue raised by runners in many races. GPS measure often seems to come out a tad longer than the calibrated wheel measure. This is an article addressing the issue that they gave us at one of the conferences, titled "In GPS We Trust", that might be of interest to some of you who may have experienced this phenomenon.

2014-04-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Subject: RE: In GPS We Trust

Not really surprising.  Most Garmin fitness devices are only accurate to a few meters at any given moment and are impacted by line of sight (buildings, trees, etc).  GPS fitness devices were never designed or intended to be 100% accurate.  If they were, you would see construction workers using them instead of tape measures.

2014-04-23 3:57 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Well, I think the real difference in course measurement will be the way it's measured - on the tangents.   I would assume I will always run farther than a certified course measures because I'm not likely to run the inside tangents on every a turn*.  I'd expect only a very straight course to turn out close to the same distance.

Illustration - red line is tangent (from http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/10/run-tangents.html):

Add that to the wheel measurement factor and things will be off.  Such is life.

*I did this once on a course with a big curve and a thin crowd.  I ended up passing about 10 people, it was great!  I do recommend taking advantage of this when possible.

2014-04-24 5:59 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Just for "fun" (not sure what else to call it) I did a GPS experiment. I was with my kids in a state park, sitting on a bench while they played. This was an open area, not tree covered. I turned on my GPS as I sat completely still. Over 8 minutes, it continually clicked off a foot at a time for over 700 feet. That was on bike setting. I ran the same experiment on run setting. Same time, half the distance. I never moved.
2014-04-24 7:03 AM

User image

Exton, PA
No surprise to me, but many people think that their GPS is better than the bike computer.

I live in a hilly area, with GPS and bike computer both on I can observe my bike speed being the same on both units while riding flat. When I turn up hill there is difference between the 2 unit sometimes as much as 2-3 mph. Some of this is the algorithm they use and some is measurement. Also changes in temp and humidity changes you gps readings.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » In GPS We Trust Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HIM Training Brain Trust

Started by Northern ivy
Views: 1038 Posts: 13

2011-02-07 4:17 AM Experior

Trusting your bike

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 708 Posts: 4

2010-07-02 11:46 PM frogomatic

When all else fails, trust yourself...bike fit NOW dialed in

Started by kagoscuba
Views: 654 Posts: 3

2010-03-30 1:17 PM Jyles16

Trust Garmin more than timing chip?

Started by moreland007
Views: 2309 Posts: 10

2008-07-09 2:20 PM mdickson68

The trust that tri's has generated...

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 530 Posts: 3

2006-04-27 7:11 PM Comet
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.