Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » OWS Near London Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 3:54 PM

User image

Subject: OWS Near London
Hello!

I'm newish to the London area (just moved last summer) and I'm struggling to find places I can use for OWS practice. I'm not part of a club at this point . Any suggestions for places within about an hour's drive?

Thanks in advance!

Carly

2014-04-23 7:47 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: OWS Near London
I am not from London but I know that the Woodstock Triathlon is held at the Pittock reservior, and that is less then an hour from London.

You also check where the London Tri clubs swim, they probably post it on their websites.

Edited by nicroor 2014-04-23 7:50 PM
2014-04-24 9:27 PM
in reply to: Fivebyfive

Sheri Fraser a tri coach in London runs a splash & dash every Wednesday night at Lake Whittaker which is about 20-30 minutes from London. Swim is 750m-1500m (1or2 loops whatever you are comfortable with) followed by a 5km run. It is a great training workout!! Usually starts end of May and runs till sometime in August. Check out her website www.sherifraser.net.
2014-04-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
HI Carly

Check Out Sheri Fraser Coaching she is connected to the London Triathlon club, The club runs an OWS & run ( Splash and Dash ) wednesday evenings out at lake whittiker about 20 minutes outside of London for 12 weeks starting at the end of May . The cost is very reasonable at $ 158 dollars for non members less if you Join the club. Plus you need to buy a conservation pass for the season. we usually have 2 Lifeguards in Kyacks but always at least One and anywhere between 20 to 35 triathletes out every week. timing is kept of 800M & 1600M Loops and total time for swim and 5k Run and the swim course is marked out with regular tetrahedral Bouys so you get that real tri feel, The lake is a small kettle lake generally very calm and while a bit green usually in the early spring clears up nicely by mid June, the water Quality is Checked every day by Conservation staff so It is safe . Goodies usually follow watermelon and snacks. Last year we finished out the season with an OWS/ run at port Stanley and dinner on the beech was a nice way to cap off the season.

Check It out and come out and give it a try you can pay by the individual week as well if you want it's $20 per night + conservation Park entry.

Here is a link to the club page, links to sheri's site are on the front page. http://www.londontriathlonclub.ca/

Edited by RRH_88 2014-04-25 9:02 AM
2014-04-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: nicroor

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicroor

I am not from London but I know that the Woodstock Triathlon is held at the Pittock reservior, and that is less then an hour from London.

You also check where the London Tri clubs swim, they probably post it on their websites.

Pittock is not swimable after June. It gets super nasty.

Port Stanley is a good place to swim, as long as you have a swim buddy. Nice clean water. I know some people that swim at Sharon Creek conservation area, I can't speak to how clean it is.
2014-05-05 5:58 PM

User image

Brights Grove about 45min west on Lake Huron can have some stunning conditions. There used to be an annual 3k race there every summer. A lot of the OWS in the London area have gone AWOL. The TO and GTA area is booming though. I have a private 150m loop Shark Tank to coach in.

Grand Bend and Port Stanley for the big lakes. Not sure on local smaller lakes but the Lake Whittaker group sounds good but that is a short training distance unless you are a novice/beginner.

I will be in London the Canada Day wknd if anyone wants to meet for an OWS, feel free to contact me!

Coach T

2014-06-17 9:57 AM

A lot of us swim in Sharon Creek near Delaware. It is about a 20 min drive from London.
2014-07-04 6:39 PM
in reply to: A vdLinden

Originally posted by A vdLinden

A lot of us swim in Sharon Creek near Delaware. It is about a 20 min drive from London.

What's the water like these days? I just heard about this place, might check it out this weekend!
2014-07-05 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4985928

I haven't been out there personally in a couple weeks but I know people are atill out there. I would swim there until August but probably ditch the wetsuit because it will be warm
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » OWS Near London Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS near London

Started by Sucrizzle
Views: 2422 Posts: 13

2011-01-31 3:38 PM So Fresh So Clean

Where in London do YOU run, bike swim

Started by katherinel
Views: 1121 Posts: 4

2008-12-02 1:47 PM So Fresh So Clean

tri or run specific yoga in London area

Started by katherinel
Views: 894 Posts: 1

2008-09-15 4:41 PM katherinel

London Ontario Swim, Bike, Run, Triathlon Clubs... Pages: 1 2

Started by Jyles16
Views: 11401 Posts: 31

2009-05-18 8:45 PM katherinel

London Bike Club

Started by Robb
Views: 936 Posts: 1

2007-07-03 3:34 PM Robb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2012
author : ollyd
comments : 4
My experience of competing in my first triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.