General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I invest in bike shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-23 7:55 PM

Subject: Should I invest in bike shoes?
I've been taking spin classes in preparation for my sprint race in June. Although these classes taught me a few great techniques I quickly found out there is a huge difference between spin classes and actual road time.

I invested in pedal straps but I am using them with regular sneakers. Should I invest in a bike shoe? If so, how will I feel after biking? I assume I'd have to change into running shoes. Is this too much?

2014-04-23 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4986033

Subject: RE: Should I invest in bike shoes?
Yes you should for sure. I used to use the same pedals, with running shoes, and even on my first 2 triathlons I did the same thinking I would save time in transition. But look around, not many others do the same, for a good reason, bike shoes are a must! So much easier to pedal in, more comfy, more power. Go and get some right now.
2014-04-23 8:13 PM
in reply to: angewinte

User image

Expert
Floriduh
You need bike shoes if you are going to use clipless pedals. If you keep with straps then you are fine with running shoes and you will not need to change shoes in T2. You will lose some power on the bike without the stiff sole of a bike shoe and optimized pedal engagement you get from being clipped in though.
2014-04-24 4:39 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Yes, it's worthwhile. And takes only a short while to get accustomed to.

Aside from the remarks that others have already made about speed, I found bike shoes to be just more comfortable, surprisingly. When I rode with running shoes, I would get foot numbness problems after a few miles, and that was a real pain. With the stiff bike shoes that problem went away.

I bought MTB shoes, which are more 'walkable' than most road shoes. They don't look so fancy, and perhaps there's some reason why they cost me a second or two in races, but they have served my needs quite well.
2014-04-24 5:58 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

One of the most important advantages from wearing bike shoes is that you can 'pull up' with your foot (because it's clipped in) as well as push down as normal. This shares the load of the exertion around your muscles (because your thighs and glutes are engaged) making you more powerful and efficient.

You will feel odd initially when you transition to the run but I find this passes with practice. After a spin class you can go and do an easy ten minutes on a treadmill - this helps a lot.

When you're racing you can increase your cadence towards the end of your ride, this helps some people transition to the run more comfortably (it does me)
2014-04-24 6:16 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Yes and yes....and I would highly recommend not getting MTB but shoes specific for your needs. Tri shoes are specific and different compared to road shoes etc.

2014-04-24 7:01 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by colinphillips Yes, it's worthwhile. And takes only a short while to get accustomed to. Aside from the remarks that others have already made about speed, I found bike shoes to be just more comfortable, surprisingly. When I rode with running shoes, I would get foot numbness problems after a few miles, and that was a real pain. With the stiff bike shoes that problem went away. I bought MTB shoes, which are more 'walkable' than most road shoes. They don't look so fancy, and perhaps there's some reason why they cost me a second or two in races, but they have served my needs quite well.

I use MTB style shoes as well.  They are easier to walk in, and easier to learn to clip in and out of.  Using clipless pedals and shoes is a VERY meaningful difference in your biking efficiency, whether you go to MTB type or road-type shoes.  Mine have velcro closures which are quicker for changing in and out of as well.  The change into running shoes in T2 is pretty minor - especially if you invest in some elastic laces!  (the shopping list is long when you get into tri!)

2014-04-24 7:54 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
2014-04-24 8:32 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I'm going to play devil's advocate here because I am in your exact same position.

If this is your first race, and you aren't really sure if you will want to do tris long term, I would go against the group & say no. I'm going to do my first Sprint in May & based on a lot of the feedback I've gotten here, it doesn't make sense to invest a lot until you know this is something you want to do long term. I am going to maybe go get a two piece tri kit & that's about it. The swim will be fine without a wetsuit (it's in GA in the end of May), I'm using my MTB with the toe clips it already has on it, a cheap Schwinn helmet, and the rest is what I already have for running (Shoes, visor, sunglasses, etc). I'm sure I will love it & one day I will invest in a wetsuit, a $2500+ bike, $200 shoes, aero helmet, etc, but I'm not looking to seriously compete in my first sprint. I want to be more methodical, take it all in, and learn as much as I can.

Just my two cents.
2014-04-24 8:38 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I have just converted to bike shoes and SPD-SL pedals having done my first sprint on a road bike with flat pedals and cages.

1) The conversion is exactly that. I would be sad to go back to riding without bike shoes
2) Power and a feeling of being connected to the bike are improved greatly
3) The change to learning to clip in and out is very short and not as hard as some suggest.
4) I have not fallen over yet
5) SPD-SLs (flat 3 point cleats) are harder to walk in but once in your are connected to your bike.
6) Yes they will cost me some time in T2 but I know I will gain more in the bike segment.

Do it!
2014-04-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

At some point you will want bike shoes.  They are better for longer distance rides and as others have said, you can generate more power with the push and pull ability.

However, riding in flats for a sprint race and feeling out this whole triathlon craziness before investing in shoes is certainly acceptable. 

Have fun and good luck.

2014-04-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I would advise anyone who has a bike that would be acceptable to ride with "real" bike shoes (a hybrid or road setup) to get bike shoes.  I spent $80 on a pair of mountain-style shoes in 2006 and I still wear them, so I would say I got my money's worth.  I wore them for my first year of doing duathlon and all the time when I ride my bike around town for fun (errands or whenever I don't want to ride the nicer bike).    For races I put in yankz style laces and was able to transition easily. The matching pedals are on my commuter bike, which is an older road style bike.  I sometimes still race with this combonation, in the early season if it's likely to snow/sleet during a duathlon.

Two reasons:  The stiff sole and the ability to quickly clip in so you can get started after stopping easily.  

I just can't see any downside to "real" bike shoes unless you have a budget problem.

Type of shoe?  I always recommend that people skip "road style" bike shoes unless they are really just going to go on road rides.  Distance riders not interested in triathlon/duathlon.  They are difficult to walk in, require socks usually, and have multiple straps that you have to secure.    

For someone truly on the fence about triathlon, but thinks they want to ride their bike long term, MTB shoes are great.   If you really want to do tris, and have a limited budget, get tri shoes.  They usually have one strap and are meant to be put on with wet feet and sockless.  I wear these all the time when I ride my nicer road/race bike, even if it's just a training ride.  Although, they are much harder to walk in.  Usually the cleat/pedal options for a tri shoe is different from those with a MTB shoe, so you can't really swap between them.   A MTB shoe with a dual pedal like this is very versatile. 

P.S. The pedals on the spin class bikes are usually mountain-spd equipped, so if you got mountain style shoes you could wear them in the gym too.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2014-04-24 10:46 AM
2014-04-24 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
For me, I get a sore plantar facia tendon on the bottom of my foot if I try to ride hard in sneakers. I like the stiffer soles of the MTB shoes. OTOH - I have a buddy who has no problem riding in his running shoes and cages.

For spin class, I had Velcro-release MTB shoes that used the SPD cleats that matched the spin bikes' pedals. I bought a set of SPD pedals for under $50, and that's still what I use on my bike. I can walk just fine in them, no slipping around. I changed the cleats to the multi-release ones though (56 vs. 51), because I'm more comfortable releasing to the inside for some reason.

I love the quick-laces for my running shoes!!! I can get my shoes on in about 2 seconds each. Plus, 1-1/2 years of running and no untied laces during a run! Also, I really like that my shoes are the same tension every time. My first set were Yankz brand, but I now prefer the ones I get from Dick's sporting goods because they're simpler to set up and adjust than the Yankz. They are Lock Laces brand. http://www.locklaces.com/
2014-04-24 11:31 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Yes, but practice clipping in and out A LOT before you go for a ride. Otherwise you're gonna have a bad day.
2014-04-24 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I'll second what a couple others have said-- there are advantages to pedals and shoes, but they're not necessary. That's especially true for a beginner going into a race less than a couple of months away. I did my first 1 1/2 seasons in running shoes and straps-- including a couple of olympics. Also, as others have alluded to, there's a learning curve with new shoes and pedals. So I'd say do the first race as you are setup now and have fun!

2014-04-24 2:19 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Pro

Originally posted by zed707

I'll second what a couple others have said-- there are advantages to pedals and shoes, but they're not necessary. That's especially true for a beginner going into a race less than a couple of months away. I did my first 1 1/2 seasons in running shoes and straps-- including a couple of olympics. Also, as others have alluded to, there's a learning curve with new shoes and pedals. So I'd say do the first race as you are setup now and have fun!

^^

As handy as bike shoes and clipless pedals are, I'd have to agree with the above.  if we're talking your first sprint, and you do most of your training in spin class;  your running shoes have a very adequate ability to pedal a bike.  Plus- the time you make up in T2 by not having to swap shoes, will probably more than offset the time you would have saved having had shoes.  Transitions are complicated enough.  One pair of shoes will just make it that much more stress free.

Eventually, you will want to get a proper set of cycling shoes and pedals.  It really is that much better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I invest in bike shoes? Rss Feed