Overall Rank = 44/365
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/69
Swim
  • 33m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went way better than I expected. I chose not to warm up. Honestly, I didn't want to get wet and then have to get out of the water, I was already cold enough. It was announced that the water was 71 or 72 but it felt warmer...probably because it was warmer than the outside temp.

I was in the 2nd wave for Barb's Race. I was surprised when I caught up with the tail end of the first wave relatively quickly. At that point, things got really congested and I was making contact regardless of which way I turned.

When I reached the bridge, the water got shallow. So shallow in fact, that my finger tips would drag on the bottom. I have been told by people that have done Vineman, to stay horizontal and to drag myself through the water. I tried this, but it hurt my fingers. I opted to stand up and run. This proved to be a good move as I was passing people that were slogging through the water. It also gave me somewhat of a "bird's eye view" of the best path to take to avoid my competitors.

Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

I forgot a towel for T1. Most of the time, this wouldn't have been an issue, but this transition area is on the bank of a river and is nothing more than sandy dirt. There is carpet lining the run from the water to the bikes, but it is covered with dirt too.

I did take advantage of the wetsuit strippers. As I came out of the water, I unzipped my suit and pulled it down below my hips. When I got to the strippers, I laid on the carpet and put my feet in the air. A volunteer grabbed my suit and yanked it off. Thankfully, my TYR Hurricane slipped off my legs like they were covered in butter (actually baby oil).

When I got to my bike, I stuffed my wetsuit in my swim bag (don't want to lose it again). I slipped on one of my bike shoes... noticed my sunglasses and put those on next. I then grabbed my second shoe and remembered I had placed my socks in that shoe. Dang, now I have to take my first shoe off. My feet are covered in dirt and now I have to get my socks on...ARGH!!!
What would you do differently?:

Bring a towel and put one sock in each shoe.
Bike
  • 3h 13m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Up until this race, my bike has been problem free... not today! Shortly into the bike course you have to make a sharp right. You drop down to the old highway and then quickly have to climb. It's not a big hill, but it is steep. I down shifted before I got to the climb, but as soon as I started pedaling, I knew something was wrong. I could barely spin and felt like I was going to come to a complete stop. I looked down...BIG CHAIN RING!! My bike did not change gears. ARGH!!!

I stood up and pedaled with all of my might to the top of the hill. My legs were shaking and I thought I was done. Once I got rolling down the road again, I tested my gears and everything seemed to work fine... OK, maybe I'll still be able to climb Chalk Hill.

I noticed lots of bottles and a few bike bags along the way. I felt bad for anyone that had lost something they needed for the ride. It's a long way...especially for those doing the full Vineman. The ride progressed as well as I could have expected, but I noticed a pain in my hips. I suspect this came from the struggle up the hill.

It's funny to admit this, but I felt like a real triathlete (after 5 triathlons) as I made my way through the first aid station. James had tried to prepare me for what was going to happen... toss the bottle, grab a bottle, avoid the pros. As I approached the first aid station, I grabbed my empty bottle (I had emptied it into my aero bottle on a climb) and tossed it into the bin (a large area encompassed by plastic fencing). I then grabbed a bottle of Gatorade from a volunteer (still moving) and stuck it into my bottle cage. Seamless, smooth, and I'm still on my bike. Yay!!!

A little way past Mauritson Family Vineyards (that's how I know where I am at over there...by the wineries we have visited with Ashley), I shifted to the smaller chain ring in anticipation of a climb. This time, the bike shifted and then the chain fell off! CRAP!!! I pulled off to the side of the road and struggled to free the chain that was jammed between the frame and the small chain ring. On the bright side, one competitor checked to see if I needed a tube and others offered helped as they rode past me. Triathletes are awesome people!

Train more for the hills and have my bike tuned up prior to the race.
Transition 2
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

After my not so impressive transitions at Tri for Real #2, I kicked things up a notch (heck, it's my "A" race LOL). Anyway, I dismounted my bike and ran, yes RAN, all the way to the rack. Thankfully a competitor had attached a pinwheel to our rack, so that is what I searched for.

Run
  • 2h 07m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

There was a change to the course before the race. Instead of running a long loop followed by a shorter loop, the loops were going to be equal. Works for me. The aid stations were every mile or so and very well stocked. I drank and ate at almost every stop... oops, I mean station...I tried not to stop...I really tried not to stop.

I should have checked the run course before the race. The hills were much more substantial than I anticipated. When I got to the first serious climb, I walked. In fact, I walked almost every hill. At that point, I had lost all of my mental toughness. I was done and contemplated walking whatever distance I had left.

When I neared the turn to head back for the second half of the race, I was bolstered by the fans lining the street. Go "1966!" they screamed. They had no idea who I was and vice versa, but they kept me moving. When I made the turn to head back out, I was greeted by the best supporters in the world...halfway done...I can do this!!!

Throughout my run, I had water, Gatorade, ice, peaches, half of a banana, and two chocolate chip cookies...plus, I had a GU left over from the ride. I probably ate more than necessary, but it gave me an excuse to slow down. In fact, every stupid hill gave me an excuse to slow down.

Honestly, I am not a fan of hills...heck, I'm from Stockton and this is serious flat land. I know that in my second year I am going to have to do more hill work and I have people willing to train with me. Should I have ran on more of the hills? Yes! But I didn't and I am just going to have to accept that. I had hoped to average 9 minute miles. It didn't happen, but I'm OK with that...there is always next year :-)

More hill and heat training

Last updated: 2014-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:37 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/69
Overall: 37/365
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:14 | 56 miles | 17.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/69
Overall: 67/365
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:07:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/69
Overall: 63/365
Performance: Average
Course: More hills than I expected!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-24 9:04 AM

User image

Subject: Barb's Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barb's Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Barb's Race - Half Ironman

Started by froglegs
Views: 1680 Posts: 3

2011-08-01 10:55 PM jezzieswims

Started by lmscozz
Views: 2768 Posts: 16

2009-08-08 9:31 AM BabsVa

Barb's Race

Started by kathy schwartz
Views: 1247 Posts: 1

2009-08-02 1:19 PM kathy schwartz

Barb's Race

Started by tridizzle
Views: 702 Posts: 3

2007-08-08 11:42 AM AbbieR

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 2169 Posts: 9

2006-08-21 2:41 PM PirateGirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 8
I’m not going to sugar coat my experience and tell you that it was a piece of cake, but I am going to attempt to give you some advice and useful information that I wish I had before participating.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.
date : April 24, 2005
author : mikericci
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.