General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gun-shy about running through soreness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-24 11:23 AM

User image

Groton, New York
Subject: gun-shy about running through soreness
A few years ago I got into trail running in a big way and over the course of a few months, increased my mileage way too fast and ended up getting a pretty bad ITB injury that put me out of commission for over a year. Last year I discovered triathlon really helped in distributing my efforts without focusing just on running and I completed my first Oly as my big race last July. I am continuing in my efforts this year after taking a few lazy months off during the cold winter and not really getting out to do much. I am trying to build up again this spring and I am finding I am getting pretty gun-shy about running through soreness that I have in my legs...knee and hip region in particular. I have been finding that it works out fine so far....once I get warmed up the soreness goes away...but comes back again the next day. I know soreness is a common thing, but I just have great difficulty telling the difference between fatigue and the type of soreness that you should really pay attention to and take a break. Any suggestions?

2014-04-24 11:45 AM
in reply to: keqwow

Subject: RE: gun-shy about running through soreness

Two things

1. Keep paying close attention to your symptoms and how your respond. (Obvious, but worth saying again.)

2. It will probably be worth investing the time into a progressive training plan to ensure that you don't overshoot your fitness and get injured. If you sit down ahead of time, and RATIONALLY plan your training based upon what you've learned about your injury tolerance already, you will be far less likely to get injured while improving. The vast majority of injuries in running because a runner gets carried away with a few workouts and overpushes their capacity. This doesn't necessarily mean they ran so hard - you can get injured just by running a 100 yard sprint effort that won't beat you down at all in terms of fatigue, but may tear your weaker tendons/ligaments so you can't run. 

Slow and steady and REGULAR incremental training is the key to running. Don't rush anything in running, especially as a triathlete that typically runs <30mpw when also biking/swimming. 

2014-04-24 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Good question.

You know your body way more than anyone else. Unfortunately, you also know what it feels like to push too hard ... ITB issue.

In my experience, most of my pain is referred pain ... meaning if my knee hurts, it's because of an issue elsewhere (glute, ITB, calf, hammy, back, etc...). Our bodies are so complicated, and so interconnected. I've actually solved issues in one leg by working out an issue in the other. Unconsciously, we adapt on the fly, utilizing muscles and ligaments to compensate for weaknesses and imbalances elsewhere.

No pain no gain is ridiculous.

Some pain is okay, but it's not necessary, nor is it ideal. The kind of pain you describe makes me wonder if it's a product of your ITB issue. Overuse injuries are tough because they program muscles to do things they're not supposed to (to compensate for a fatigued primary muscle). So then how you do you un-train the backup muscle? That's tough. You almost have to strip back down to zero and start fresh ... balance and proprioception exercises, isolation strengthening, and then once you're good and balanced and your muscles are working the way they should, you get back to what you love.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm too hardheaded, eager, excited, etc.. to follow my own advice at times, and have paid the price, like you, in the past.

You took a full year off. Don't jeopardize another year by ignoring your symptoms today. Pain in the same place, experienced in almost predetermined and anticipated points in your workout schedule are probably not just soreness from healthy training loads. It seems like something else is going on.

Stay healthy and listen to your body. There's no such thing as over training, only under recovering.
2014-04-24 1:13 PM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Denver, CO

You don't mention using a foam roller.  I've found that using it on my ITB, hip, and glutes is really helpful with ITB issues.  Hurts like #%#$ but really makes a big difference.

2014-04-24 1:58 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Groton, New York
Actually...the foam roller is probably one of the only reasons I was finally able to get back into running again last year. I also utilize a tempo trainer, which has also really helped reduce leg stress and joint soreness, particularly once I start to get tired. Before, my form would go to he&^, and I'd start pounding on my joints. Maintaining a high cadence has formed me to utilize smaller more frequent steps...which has significantly reduced the stress on my joints.

The scary part of it all, is that when I did get the serious ITB injury a couple of years ago, there was really no warning. I was feeling good. I was sore...but it was like that throughout the summer...just fatigue. One day I went out for an 'easy' run that has one big hill in the run. Feeling good running up the hill until just about the top and I heard/felt a 'POP'. That was it. Then of course with the ITB injury came the related hip-snap syndrome. Lots of fun. I've been trying to do 5-6 runs a week... (BarryP plan)....and increasing gradually my overall weekly mileage (no more than 10% a week, but taking several weeks to actually maintain, or decrease mileage, before bumping up again). I just don't want an injury like that again. I sucked.
2014-04-24 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
When you got this initial injury, what did the doctor/PT say? Are you still doing stretching/strengthening exercises given to you by them?

2014-04-24 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I have persistent ITB problems in my hip (and it is actually a consequence of a bad knee on that same leg as has been pointed out). I do regular stretching and strengthening to keep it at bay. And I do train on it even when sore. However, what I try not to do is go into heavy training with it already sore. I took last Nov as a down month then started training for a marathon. It started hurting. Given that this was still supposed to be my off season, I bailed on the marathon and beefed up the stretching / strengthening until it wasn't such an issue anymore. So if you are starting to ramp up volume you might want to try to get the soreness resolved before continuing to ramp up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » gun-shy about running through soreness Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running soreness/ running volume.

Started by pbreed
Views: 2336 Posts: 17

2012-08-17 9:23 PM Donskiman

Running with calf soreness

Started by Neek-neek
Views: 1171 Posts: 17

2012-03-02 10:21 AM Jtiger

Soreness during run

Started by bananaman
Views: 499 Posts: 2

2011-06-07 5:09 AM TriAya

Higher run volume and calf soreness

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1202 Posts: 18

2011-05-17 8:17 AM natethomas2000

Core soreness after running races

Started by shelly123
Views: 3254 Posts: 5

2008-12-15 10:45 AM tjfry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
How do you know the difference between muscle soreness and an injury? Learn several techniques to alleviate muscle soreness after a hard workout.

date : January 17, 2012
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.
date : December 22, 2011
Tips on the treatment of chronic muscle soreness

date : May 24, 2011
What could be causing pain and soreness in my tailbone?
date : November 16, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn more about protein intake, iron, post exercise food, recovering with carbs and protein, rest days, fluids and sodium.

date : November 20, 2006
comments : 1
The hope of the recovery icebath is that it reduces the amount of inflammation caused by the workout and helps to flush the legs of lactic acid.