General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bassman next weekend. any one doing or know about it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-24 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Bassman next weekend. any one doing or know about it?
So I'm doing the International distance on May 4th but I don't see a lot of info on this race floating around. Anyone in the area doing this race who can maybe guess about water temps in the lake? I'm a little scared of the late/cold winter.

2014-04-24 4:34 PM
in reply to: bdenehy

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Bassman next weekend. any one doing or know about it?
Hi! I'm doing the half and did the international last year. I have a feeling the water will be low 60's. Last year, the air was actually colder than the water so it felt warm! It was an ok race to dust off the cobwebs.... the organizational aspects can be a bit frustrating but the run course is a nice change since it's on trails! I remember the courses being marked well so that's a plus since there are different distances going on.
2014-04-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: aggie21

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Hi. I'm doing the Half distance too. This is my first Half (signed up for Princeton in Sept. too) so I choose Bassman primarily for the timing and flat bike/run course. There is some discussion on Slowtwitch about the event and CityTri sent an email yesterday discussing some bike course changes and possibliity of extremely cold lake temps. They noted that the historic low is 57 (which is Escape from Alcatraz temp range). One more week!
2014-04-25 9:13 AM
in reply to: dillrob

User image

I'm doing the bike portion of the relay so I didn't get an email about course changes. Can you post more details? I'm going to email our fearless leader s well. I'm going to ride the course this Sunday.

Patti
2014-04-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Here is the text:
Dear athlete,

We have updated the website and route maps for the Bassman Spring.

1. The bike course is slightly longer for the sprint and international events . Please take a look at the maps. The course will be clearly marked.

a- The original course was Stage Rd. /slight left onto Leektown/ left onto Hammonton Rd.

b- The new course is Stage Rd./Left onto Chatsworth/Right onto Leektown/Left onto Hammonton Rd.

c. International distance athletes do the same course the sprint athletes do for the first loop and then they do the Half distance loop for the second loop.

2. The waves for events have been modified as well.

Half Distance starts at 8:00 am

International starts at 8:30 am

Sprint starts at 9:00 am

Packet pick-up will end at 8:00 am.

Transition area will close at 8:15 am.

Please do not wait until the last minute to pick up your package. Packet pick up will be at the race venue on Saturday.

We have received several requests regarding transfers to another event. We have created a category in the registration form to transfer to the fall event. The fee is $50. and expires on Monday, april 28th. You may also mail in a check. Please email us in case you want to do so.

Please continue to check the website for updates.

George and Alejandra Reagan,

cell: 347-276-7523 reception is limited in Bass River.

Oh wait....water temperature! Over the past 10 years the coldest water temperature for Bassman was 57 degrees. Which only happened once. Every other time the water has been in the mid 60's. Please keep in mind that water temperature at Escape from Alcatraz is usually 57 degrees. Another local race with a similar water temperature is The Veterans Triathlon, water temperature is usually under 60.
2014-04-26 9:06 AM

User image

Thank you! Looks like the half distance course is still the one I've been riding on.

I'm guessing the water is going to be hovering right around 60 degrees. Seems to be the case here in the central NJ region.

Patti

2014-04-29 3:30 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

FYI.

There was a post on Slowtwitch (based on the CityTri facebook page) that the lake measured at 65 degrees this weekend. That's allot better than I expected so hopefully the temps at least hold up.

Bob
2014-05-02 10:47 AM

Anyone going from NYC to Bassman?

i'm going solo since the 2 other people in my group cancelled. I'm staying at the Colonial Inn which is about 15 minutes away from the race.

Let me know if you're staying in the area as well.

Chris
2014-05-05 1:04 PM
in reply to: furnaccio

User image

Did the half-tri yesterday. Water was cold but not bad at all with full-sleeve wetsuit and neoprene cap. Clear and clean too. The weather was really good. Sun early when you wanted it and overcast later. A little windy but not too bad. Everyone was friendly. The event itself was generally well run but a couple things that will probably keep me away in the future. My biggest concern was the transition area. It really wasn't secure after the event when there were allot bikes still racked. Fortunately no issues that I heard of with theft. I've only done a few triathlons so I'm not sure if this is the exception or the rule. I am used to someone checking bib numbers whenever a bike leaves the transition area. This was not the case yesterday. Could have been a one-time thing too with the staff on hand, just not sure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bassman next weekend. any one doing or know about it? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bassman Spring Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 5494 Posts: 40

2008-04-26 7:12 PM KathyG

NYRR Race #1 Done - anyone else doing these?

Started by runnerx
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2008-01-14 9:00 AM runnerx

Anyone doing Fall Bassman in Oct?

Started by KebaNYC
Views: 994 Posts: 2

2007-09-07 10:36 AM Monty

Bassman Tri April 29th

Started by Kpace
Views: 1051 Posts: 4

2007-01-25 7:54 AM LeaYag

Bassman - October 8th