General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Central New York Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-24 1:32 PM

User image

, New York
Subject: Hello from Central New York
It all started with a good run one Friday morning... Later that day I got an email from Fleet Feet Syracuse saying they had a few spots left in their Triathlon training program (beginners & intermediate). What the heck, right? Well, I registered for it.

This site and its training programs are (hopefully) giving me a good head-start!

Walking = 10 miles/week

Running = 15 miles/week (3 five-mile runs runs now and almost ready to add a longer weekend run)

Swimming = just started going to the pool this week, did 300 yards yesterday and 400 yards today

Biking = Not sure what to do regarding a bike. Worst-case-scenario I'll use my 20-year old mtn bike! With any luck I'll find some decent road bike on craigslist! ;-)

2014-04-24 6:56 PM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Hello from Central New York

Welcome to BT!

There are some great races un your part of the state--enjoy!  

You can do a triathlon on a mountain bike--it will be slow and heavy--but there's no need shelling out big money for high end gear until you have been in the sport a while and decide you want the fancy bike.

2014-04-25 1:33 PM

Welcome! I'm originally from Syracuse, and visit Fleet Feet almost every time I come back and visit family. What a great store. In any case, enjoy the ride...triathlon training and racing can be addictive!

In terms of a bike...for your first race, just use whatever you have. Your first race is all about learning and discovering if you want to continue to put time and effort into triathlons. If that's a yes, then go shop for a used or new road or tri bike. If it's a no, then no harm, no foul since you didn't buy a bike. I did my first few triathlons on a hybrid - I wasn't fast, but I finished and at the end, i caught the triathlon bug. Now I have a much better bike.

2014-04-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

, New York
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I did splurge over the weekend and bought a used road bike from a local bike shop. I figured that if I decide to sell this bike I'll recover 90+ percent of the purchase price.

I ended up getting a used Klein aura XV. At $600 it was a bit more than what I wanted to spend but it fit well and was WAY lighter than any of the low-end new bikes they sold.

:-)
2014-06-18 2:32 PM

User image

Rochester, New York
Hooray! I'm glad to see someone else representing Central New York!

You should be fine with a mountain bike to start, I see many racers in the Sprint competing with them. Once you are comfortable with long distances, I would suggest at least finding a decent road bike (craigslist is an awesome option you had mentioned) and retro-fit it with aerobars. Going into aero is a time and leg saver!

Congrats on the triathlon lifestyle choice and welcome to BT!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Central New York Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

LI New York Hello!!!

Started by DamienBielli
Views: 856 Posts: 7

2011-05-20 2:27 PM Sammeg

Hello from Western New York

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 800 Posts: 5

2008-01-15 9:52 AM mburkhart

Hello From New York City

Started by jamesnord
Views: 647 Posts: 9

2007-11-26 12:57 PM jamesnord

Hello from New York!

Started by mildew33
Views: 984 Posts: 7

2005-07-13 8:37 AM mildew33

Hey from Central New York

Started by olshire
Views: 862 Posts: 5

2005-02-05 9:16 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.