General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post up your favorite tri bike cycling routes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-24 6:45 PM

New user
, Massachusetts
Subject: Post up your favorite tri bike cycling routes
Now that I've finally converted to a tri bike, I'm finding I'm not comfortable riding the same routes I did with my road bike with all the turning traffic and technical decents . Where are some of the better routes for a tri bike (links to garmin connect would be great)? I've found a good 1hr loop in the Concord area but that's going to get old fast. I'm in the metro west area but willing to drive some. Where do you ride?

2014-04-24 8:45 PM
in reply to: guy2600

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Subject: RE: Post up your favorite tri bike cycling routes
A good course for getting into aero on a tri bike is the Patriot Half Ironman course. To save drive time, park at Ted Williams Camp in Lakeville, MA (on Precinct St) and pick up the course from there:

http://www.sunmultisportevents.com/Patriot_Half/Course_Info.htm

2014-04-25 6:45 AM

User image

I am in the same boat with a new Tri bike. Would LOVE some routes as well, I am in Hudson area and enjoy routes from Marlboro to Harvard etc... I am doing the Patriot half so Good tip as I had planned to ride the route soon. Also seeing how riding Tri Bike in group rides is not great with the possible delay in braking etc.. Also need to log miles to acclimate to different position (bad back!) I'm on Strava but not too tech savvy yet.
Joy
2014-04-25 10:25 AM

User image

Hmmmm.......I still got lots to learn.

What's the difference between a road bike and a tri bike? What kind of terrain favors each one?

I "road bike" sometimes with Landry's of Westborough on Saturday mornings. Common ride is to head north by the Solomon Pond Mall, up Sawyer Hill, west on 62 to Wachusett Reservoir and head back down via Church Street through Northborough which is good for 30 miles. Going around Wachusett Reservoir adds another 10 miles. Then there's the Assabet Rail Trail which doing 2 laps plus the 7 mile round trip to get to the start from my place in Hudson gives me 27 miles. I'd like to find more trips and groups to ride with.
2014-04-25 10:47 AM
in reply to: Mahk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Medway, MA
Originally posted by Mahk

What's the difference between a road bike and a tri bike? What kind of terrain favors each one?

Tri bikes have a seat angle that positions your body forward and up, so you can tuck into an aerodynamic position and save your legs. Because of the aero bars and the different geometry, tri bikes are not as good as road bikes for climbing. Tri bikes are best for long flat stretches where you can tuck your head down into aero and eliminate a whole lot of drag to go faster and/or conserve energy. Also, because of the different geometry, different leg muscles come into play which makes it easier to run off the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post up your favorite tri bike cycling routes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike and OWS routes Northwest of Boston

Started by mogulbumm
Views: 1847 Posts: 10

2011-01-31 4:32 PM mogulbumm

Any family friendly bike routes in Central MA?

Started by TredH20
Views: 2155 Posts: 6

2010-03-26 9:52 AM TredH20

Favorite Destination Tri's

Started by elle_steiner
Views: 1627 Posts: 3

2009-06-01 11:14 AM running4beer

good bike routes in/around Boston area?

Started by nehptune
Views: 5084 Posts: 9

2009-05-01 6:31 PM nehptune

Southboro/Hopkinton area bike routes?

Started by takeofftheskirt
Views: 1366 Posts: 11

2009-04-21 7:39 AM takeofftheskirt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.