General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thigh friendly Tri Suit for Women? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-24 7:02 PM

Subject: Thigh friendly Tri Suit for Women?
I brought a Zoot suit on Amazon. It finally came in today. When I tried it on it was too tight around my thighs. So much so that it made my lower leg bulge.

I'm a medium build size and was surprised and disappointed. Does anyone know of a good tri suit that is thigh friendly? I thought about just wearing a bathing suit for the swim and buying a pair of biking shorts if all else fails. Something just below my knee would be ideal.

Edited by angewinte 2014-04-24 7:03 PM

2014-04-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: angewinte

Subject: RE: Thigh friendly Tri Suit for Women?
Its hard to look like the models that wear those suits with no thigh bulge. Honestly, I have noticed that most people at the tri's I have done all have thigh bulge. I also have zoot and pearl izumi shorts and have that problem in both.

However, I recently bought a Soas racing kit and have zero thigh bulge. The leg opening is wider and has a leg grip to keep them from riding up. The downside is that they don't make a one piece suit if that is what you are looking for.

2014-04-25 4:10 AM
in reply to: butk

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have a 2XU Comp one-piece suit and it fits well. It has a leg grip that keeps the legs from riding up but doesn't chafe, has a good degree of compression, and doesn't "pinch", at least on me. That being said, 2XU tends to run small and I have a pretty small build (about US size 2 or 4 for jeans, for example, depending on brand and cut). I wear M in 2XU, while I normally wear an S for Zoot shorts. Guessing that if you have a medium build, you'd wear L with the 2XU suit. I wouldn't stress too much about "thigh bulge"--most suits have some degree of compression in the legs, and even a thin woman's going to have some fat (and muscle) in that area which is being compressed by the suit and then, below the level of the suit, bulges a little. Think of it as a flotation aid and back-up energy source! Models have probably zero fat and less muscle--thus no thigh bulge. We are real women with working bodies.
2014-04-25 5:43 AM

User image

i saw this company advertised on my facebook page - I haven't tried them, but they do tri suits for women - coeur - I don't think they have one pieces though, everything I see for them is a 2 piece - which works for me since my top and bottom don't align size wise
2014-04-25 10:31 AM
in reply to: butk

User image

x2 for Soas. My only problem with the Soas Tri Shorts is that in order to get the size to fit my butt and thighs, it gapes at the waist in the back. I had to put in a drawstring and now they fit great.
2014-04-25 12:32 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

I love Soas. Had the same problem. In order to fit my butt, the waist was too big. I also had to put a drawstring in there to keep the shorts up.

2014-04-25 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I was lucky to have a triathlon store nearby.  I tried on ALL of the women's offerings and had the 'thigh' problem.  I ended up buying a one piece Blue Seventy men's suit and am very happy with it.  

Recently I have joined a tri team and have a one piece Castelli on order.  Felt terrific and didn't have the 'thigh' problem.

You might try to an online retailer that allows no shipping fee for returns.  Buy a bunch, find one that fits, and send the rest back.   

2014-04-28 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4986635

Thanks for the great advice. I actually went into a brick and mortar store and tried on a pair of Zoot shorts. Maybe a larger size might make a difference.

In the meantime I found a great pair of biking knickers. They looked good and felt great. So much so that I came home and rode for 9 1/2 miles. A personal outside best! :-)
2014-04-28 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4988046

Btw, would it be odd to swim in my tri suit and throw on my bike pants just for the bike part of the race. They had so much padding that made a big comfortable difference. I'd take them off for the run since it would look like a diaper and very awkward to run in. What do you think?
2014-04-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by angewinte Btw, would it be odd to swim in my tri suit and throw on my bike pants just for the bike part of the race. They had so much padding that made a big comfortable difference. I'd take them off for the run since it would look like a diaper and very awkward to run in. What do you think?

You mean wear your bike shorts OVER your tri shorts? I think that'd be a lot.... 

Edited by trishie 2014-04-28 9:39 AM
2014-04-28 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4986635

I kinda thought so. I just don't wear shorts above my knees anymore, just Capri. I think that's why I feel so comfortable in the bike knickers.

Do you know of a tri bottom that's cut into the knicker style? I've only been able to find this in a wet suit. Since this is my first race I don't want to invest in one just yet.

2014-04-28 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by angewinte

I kinda thought so. I just don't wear shorts above my knees anymore, just Capri. I think that's why I feel so comfortable in the bike knickers.

Do you know of a tri bottom that's cut into the knicker style? I've only been able to find this in a wet suit. Since this is my first race I don't want to invest in one just yet.

Desoto has tri capris. That might be what you're looking for.
2014-04-28 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4988174

AWESOME! Thanks!
2014-08-24 11:50 PM
in reply to: austhokie

Hi. I hope it's ok to respond. I'm in Customer Service with Coeur http://www.coeursports.com/.We are working on a one piece for our ITU athlete Katie Hursey but right now, we have two piece kits. The tightness around the thigh is an issue that bugged both of our Founders and we did increase the size of the leg holes to accommodate them. I think you'll find that several women's brands are starting to create gear that has subtle but significant design changes to make them truly women's specific. Anyway, good luck and we hope you find something that works.

Oh...and by the way, we were nervous about the Facebook ads. I hope they weren't annoying.
2014-08-25 12:27 PM
in reply to: CharlotteinCustomerS

I'm confused. . . we ride bikes. . . isn't it all about the thigh bulge? Have you seen Andre Gripel's legs before?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thigh friendly Tri Suit for Women? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Women's shark tri suit on bonktown now

Started by jpjewels
Views: 663 Posts: 1

2009-05-21 12:24 PM jpjewels

questions about tri suits for larger women

Started by sarah927
Views: 1929 Posts: 20

2009-03-11 11:27 AM DolphinGirlMB

tri-suit or no tri-suit?

Started by Ky_Soldier
Views: 1021 Posts: 4

2006-06-19 7:39 AM mndiver

Women's Tri Suits

Started by lisac957
Views: 1420 Posts: 9

2006-01-15 10:58 AM tri_it_cajun_style

women's tri suits

Started by autumn
Views: 912 Posts: 12

2005-07-06 8:59 AM NYtrigal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.