General Discussion Race Reports! » Team Mallorie Leg Up on Leukemia 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Team Mallorie Leg Up on Leukemia 5K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Andover, Kansas
United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ha! Sat in the car because the winds were so uncomfortable.
Event warmup:

Sauntered over to the start line 5 minutes before the gun went off.
Run
  • 39m 11s
  • 3.81 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a run I originally signed up for thinking Brian and Preston would be joining me, but they had baseball practice so it was just me. Mallorie is one of Preston's classmates (6th grader) and she is battling Leukemia. All of the proceeds today go to her family to pay medical bills.

Started off in the 9:30 pace range and knew it was a bit too fast to maintain. A guy started talking to me which was part nice and part annoying. Suddenly we were on a mulch nature path, and then crossing a rocky creek bed! Had to stop and help a few jogger strollers over that - I thought it was a bit strange for a 5K run course and later found out the kids in the front of the pack took a wrong turn and we weren't supposed to be in that area at all! LOL!

Back on the main/paved path it was STUPID windy (33mph sustained as I type this, just an hour later). Hard to keep my visor from blowing away. Got to turn around and run with the wind to our backs for about 1/2 mile.

When my watch read 3.11 miles I was at 31:35, which was about where I wanted to be for this 5K today. But the finish line was NO WHERE in sight. I mean, I had no idea where we were. Wound around and around a park and finally saw everyone. Later I found out it was because those kids took a wrong turn. Not upset about it, but I did slow down at the end cause I was running out of gas for a nearly 4-mile run at that pace.

Post race
Warm down:

After I finished I just got in my car to head home. I didn't know a soul there and didn't want to cry my eyes out like I did when I arrived and saw Mallorie. What a brave little girl.

Last updated: 2014-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:11 | 03.81 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: No clue.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-04-26 10:30 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Team Mallorie Leg Up on Leukemia 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Team Mallorie Leg Up on Leukemia 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Charles Harris Run for Leukemia

Started by Wesmaster123
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2011-02-26 10:30 AM Wesmaster123

Great Pumpkin Race for Leukemia

Started by katieyows
Views: 1090 Posts: 1

2009-11-02 7:28 AM katieyows

Leg it for Life 5K Trail Run

Started by heifert
Views: 713 Posts: 1

2009-09-13 11:07 AM heifert

Charles Harris Run for Leukemia

Started by steamy
Views: 920 Posts: 4

2006-02-27 10:54 AM atl_runner

Charles Harris Run for Leukemia 10K

Started by atree
Views: 1162 Posts: 2

2005-02-27 10:38 AM zagagirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.