Llama Running
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 19m 4s
Overall Rank = 2/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 and had my cup of coffee and breakfast.
Event warmup:

Got there early and laid in the back of my car until the start.
Run
  • 8h 19m 4s
  • 50 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Was really nervous coming into this run. Having trained properly I knew I could do the distance but I have a hard time slowing myself down sometimes and feared I'd go out too fast and pay severely later for it. Luckily as soon as we started I got in with an experienced few that were running the 100. I paced myself off them for 15 miles. At the 15 mile AS they stopped to get stuff from their crew and were going to be a bit so I took off on my own. Everything stayed pretty uneventful. At mile 25 I started walking the uphill portions on the trails. Still managed to keep pace while walking short segments. During the third lap I started lapping people. I knew I was near the front of the 50 milers but wasn't sure. To start the 3rd lap I thought I was in 4th. Near the end of the third lap I passed two of the people I thought were in front of me, now putting me in what I thought was 2nd. To end each lap you had to go on an out and back down a fishing pier about .75 mile long. As I was heading out on the pier I saw who I thought was the leader heading back. Roughly 30 miles in and I thought I was about 1.25 mile behind the leader. People were slowing and I was holding strong. This is where I made a mistake. I picked up my pace starting my 4th lap in hopes I could catch the leader. 4th lap was uneventful until the end. I started really hurting finishing up my 4th lap. I checked in and went out for my last lap. My last lap I got real liberal with what was uphill and found myself walking more than normal. About a mile into the last lap I was really struggling and heading towards that "dark place". Luckily I caught a friend of mine on his 4th lap. I ran with him for awhile and chatted about the day. This literally saved me. My pace had slowed but I was still moving forward, and kept my mind off the massive pain I was in. The pier on the last lap was torture. Knowing the finish was there but I had to head out for another 1.5 miles. Never saw the guy I thought was in the lead. Got to the finish and checked in. Was told I finished 2nd, like I thought. However the guy I thought won didn't. I guess he dropped? The guy that won did so by an hour.

I crewed myself out of my trunk. I had Salt and Vinegar chips, Coke, Gummi Bears, and 400 cal pre packaged Infinit packs. All I needed was my Infinit and the Coke.
What would you do differently?:

This went much better than I could have expected. If I were to change anything it would be going after who I thought was the leader.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around and talked to the RD for a minute. Picked up my finishers belt and headlamp I won for second. Then hopped in my car, took the most painful shower of my life, and headed to a wedding.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran 50 miles.

Event comments:

This was my first ultra. It's a different atmosphere. So much more laid back than triathlons or road races.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
08:19:04 | 50 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/
Performance: Good
Course: 10 mile loop. Mostly trail and beach with approx. 2.5 miles of asphalt per lap.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-27 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Fort Clinch 50 and 100
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Clinch 50 and 100 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oil Creek 100 Trail Run - 100 Mile

Started by carrie1
Views: 2200 Posts: 5

2012-10-26 4:42 AM sbrdave

Oil Creek 100 Trail Run - 100 Mile

Started by wolchr
Views: 1489 Posts: 1

2012-03-26 7:21 AM wolchr

Chicago 50/50 - 50 Miler

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1922 Posts: 2

2008-11-03 7:15 PM enginerd

100 on 100 Relay

Started by akustix
Views: 1480 Posts: 2

2007-08-30 10:10 AM jcagg90

chicago lakefront 50/50 ultramarathon

Started by trixie
Views: 2760 Posts: 10

2006-11-14 1:16 PM jeanneroth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.

date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?