General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone been out to Island Lake yet this season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-28 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Subject: Has anyone been out to Island Lake yet this season?
Just wondering if anyone's been out riding at Island Lake yet, since we had a few warm days in there. I imagine the lakes are still freezing cold and will be for a while. How is everything looking?

2014-04-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Subject: RE: Has anyone been out to Island Lake yet this season?
Kristin-
Why all the question marks after the 70.3?
Do it! Do it! Do it!
You can do it, and you will be hooked into long course.
2014-04-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: Tri Sam

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Ha ha. I think my max bike distance is 40 miles, so I want to build up a bit before I commit to anything!
2014-04-28 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
It's the end of April...you've got plenty of time. Shall I start the chanting again?
2014-05-10 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I don't suppose anyone's braved Trout Lake yet?
2014-05-11 1:07 PM

User image

There was no one swimming in Trout Lake while I was there yesterday.

I got in about knee deep while my dog splashed around along the shore after our run. It would definitely be a chilly swim, but the water temp actually felt much better than I was expecting. I imagine that if I had gone all the way in & put my head under that I would have thought it was quite cold.

2014-05-12 8:55 AM
in reply to: Boilermaker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by Boilermaker

There was no one swimming in Trout Lake while I was there yesterday.

I got in about knee deep while my dog splashed around along the shore after our run. It would definitely be a chilly swim, but the water temp actually felt much better than I was expecting. I imagine that if I had gone all the way in & put my head under that I would have thought it was quite cold.

Great -- thanks for the update.

I am hoping with a few warm days this week, it will be tolerable with a full wetsuit Saturday. But it sounds like your dog didn't mind. =)
2014-05-12 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

I was out there on Saturday for a mountain bike race.  I dipped my hand in Spring Mill pond and it didn't seem that bad near the shore.  There were a couple of women in the water in swim suits about waist deep, they said it was cold but not unbearable.

2014-05-14 9:32 AM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Is the RAWK Squad non-triathlon happening again this year? I could be up for Saturday or Sunday if anyone wants to go out and train. =) Looking specifically for a swim and some bike time.
2014-05-14 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I am out for this weekend, for certain, due to a golf trip. Beyond that, this weekend is supposedly going to be frigid.

If anything gets planned for another weekend, I would certainly give it a shot.
2014-05-15 11:11 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Beyond that, this weekend is supposedly going to be frigid.

Oh, come on, Sunday's forecast says a high of 61 -- hardly frigid. =)

Well, if anyone wants to go swim across Trout Lake and back sometime this weekend, let me know. (Or if you know of any other groups that are planning on being out there, that would help, too! I already left a note on Level's Facebook page.) I can do pretty much any time as long as I know in advance. It looks like it's supposed to rain Saturday morning, though.

2014-05-19 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I made it out there yesterday afternoon. There were already a couple other crazy people swimming in Kent Lake and I was running a bit late, so I decided to just hop in there instead of walking all the way to Trout. Not gonna lie, guys -- it was COLD. It was like ice on my feet, my face went numb, and I screeched when the cold water got in my wetsuit. I had my Garmin under my cap and I managed .72 miles before I got the heck out of there. My body did feel OK after the first lap around the buoys but my face, hands and feet were numb for quite a while afterward. I did have a silicon cap under a latex cap and soft ear plugs in, which I'm sure helped a bit.

The good news is, if it is still that cold next weekend, I know it is survivable.

In biking news, the roads were in pretty good shape, but there is a lot of loose gravel in the east parking lot (where we make the second teardrop turn in the race). Be super careful coming into that.
2014-05-27 4:26 PM

User image

Hey -

My name is Matt Bruno, (you can call me Bruno). I am new to Triathlon... actually 3 weeks away from my first! The Belle Isle Olympic.
My history is is Marathons and last year I ran a good amount around the 8 mile loop at Kensington. I'm looking to get in the open water. In February I learned how to swim laps and have been consistent in the pool - I've worked my way up to 2500 yards. And I haven't drown.

Are there any groups that swim at Kensington Metro Park?? I'd love to join in - try out the wetsuit and ask myself 'why did I sign up for this again?'
thanks

-Bruno
2014-05-27 9:38 PM
in reply to: sisu13

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Hey Bruno,

Welcome!!

Not sure about swimming at Kensington, I have only ever swam at Island Lake, it's right across I-96 from Kensington if you are not familiar.  As far as I know  you have three options for swimmin' holes at Island Lake...

Kent Lake:  Go straight at the booths when you enter Island Lake Park and beach access is on your left about 1/2 mile in.  You can do laps around the swimming markers.  Nice thing about this is water is about chest/neck deep so you can touch if you are swimming alone or are weary about OWS.

Trout Lake:  Park at Kent Lake beach parking. There is a dirt path across the road that leads you back to Trout Lake, it's about a 1/4 mile walk.  Nice thing about this is if you swim straight across from the east end to the west end and back it is just about 1 mile however you are swimming directly across the lake, best to do this with friends or a spotter just in case.

Spring Mill Pond:  Turn right at the booths and follow the park road for a few miles the parking lot will be on your left.  Spring mill pond is small but deep, it is good to practice getting away from shore with out getting to far away from shore.

Also, if you ride the park road from end to end it is just over 12 miles.  For example, park at Kent Lake beach access, turn right out of the lot, turn left at the booths and ride to the end turn around.  Come back past Kent Lake beach access, ride to the end turn around and back to Kent Lake Beach, 12 miles.

I plan on being out there Saturday mornings to swim and bike with some training partners, we usually swim in Trout.  Also there was a group that swam out there on Thursday evenings last summer.  Keep an eye here, people usually post if they are training.

Good Luck!!!!

2014-05-27 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

MilesAroundMidtown,

Did you race last weekend?  How was the water?   Still Frigid?

Thanks!! 

2014-05-28 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by caffer

Trout Lake:  Park at Kent Lake beach parking. There is a dirt path across the road that leads you back to Trout Lake, it's about a 1/4 mile walk.  Nice thing about this is if you swim straight across from the east end to the west end and back it is just about 1 mile however you are swimming directly across the lake, best to do this with friends or a spotter just in case.

Welcome, Bruno! Trout Lake is definitely the preferred swimming hole at Island Lake. It's shallow and there is no boat traffic, and if you can only make it across once, there is a trail around it to get back to the start.

Yes, I did race last weekend. The water wasn't as bad as the week before, but I was glad to have practiced in colder water just in case. I think it was 63 on race day? I double-capped and wore silicon ear plugs, and after the initial cold shock I was fine. I took a few seconds off my swim time from last fall, so that was good. =)

2014-05-28 2:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by caffer

Hey Bruno,

Welcome!!

Not sure about swimming at Kensington, I have only ever swam at Island Lake, it's right across I-96 from Kensington if you are not familiar.  As far as I know  you have three options for swimmin' holes at Island Lake...

Kent Lake:  Go straight at the booths when you enter Island Lake Park and beach access is on your left about 1/2 mile in.  You can do laps around the swimming markers.  Nice thing about this is water is about chest/neck deep so you can touch if you are swimming alone or are weary about OWS.

Spring Mill Pond:  Turn right at the booths and follow the park road for a few miles the parking lot will be on your left.  Spring mill pond is small but deep, it is good to practice getting away from shore with out getting to far away from shore.

Also, if you ride the park road from end to end it is just over 12 miles.  For example, park at Kent Lake beach access, turn right out of the lot, turn left at the booths and ride to the end turn around.  Come back past Kent Lake beach access, ride to the end turn around and back to Kent Lake Beach, 12 miles.

I plan on being out there Saturday mornings to swim and bike with some training partners, we usually swim in Trout.  Also there was a group that swam out there on Thursday evenings last summer.  Keep an eye here, people usually post if they are training.

Good Luck!!!!

Thank you both for the welcome.

So, you're swimming out at Trout this Saturday the 31st? What time? - I'd love to join. I have my Nephew's 1st bday party, but I'm free in the morning. I'm used to lake mornings, cold water, wetsuits and wakeboarding... this will be new, hopefully just as fun (without the headache from smacking my face with a bad fall)
-Bruno
2014-05-28 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Welcome, Bruno! Trout Lake is definitely the preferred swimming hole at Island Lake. It's shallow and there is no boat traffic, and if you can only make it across once, there is a trail around it to get back to the start. Yes, I did race last weekend. The water wasn't as bad as the week before, but I was glad to have practiced in colder water just in case. I think it was 63 on race day? I double-capped and wore silicon ear plugs, and after the initial cold shock I was fine. I took a few seconds off my swim time from last fall, so that was good. =)

Good job on the swim!!!

Actually Bruno, I am meeting a friend out there this Saturday morning.  I will make a new post with times and our training plans...

2014-08-20 8:01 PM

User image

How about August 23rd - Will anyone be out at Trout Lake this Saturday??

Bruno
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone been out to Island Lake yet this season? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone else get sick after Island Lake tri?

Started by DV 1
Views: 992 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 8:24 AM coreycs

Anyone tried an OWS yet?

Started by noelle1230
Views: 1606 Posts: 15

2013-05-17 9:42 PM MacGilleEathain

Anyone else woosing out of Wednesdays Island Tri?

Started by garystan
Views: 1037 Posts: 4

2011-07-18 7:44 AM lilbigjon

Quite a fine Fall Seasons we're having.

Started by Thomas Demerly
Views: 662 Posts: 3

2008-09-23 2:10 PM Nelg

Bikesport having a season opener sale

Started by Shortyy
Views: 821 Posts: 4

2007-05-17 4:21 PM MiTri_Chic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?