Get Off The Couch Potato Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 23s
Overall Rank = 578/2232
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/94
Pre-race routine:

Woke up extra early on Saturday morning so that I could fall asleep early in the evening. The race start time was 6:30 so I knew I would need to be up at 5:00 to get ready and drive over. In the afternoon I watched my local roller derby team play an excellent bout (go CCRD!) then had my usual sushi dinner and went to sleep.
Event warmup:

Woke up half an hour before my alarm, the tactic of forcing myself to wake up on Saturday morning seemed to work! Ate a Cliff bar then headed to the race start. Hit the porta-potties then tried to find my friends who were also running, only found one as we entered the starting corrals.

I decided to restart my troublesome phone so that it would behave during the run but it didn't power back up which meant to music for me! Fortunately I was tracking pace on my Garmin 310 but this would be my longest run without music.
Run
  • 2h 01m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I was somewhat frustrated with my phone not powering up but realized there wasn't much I could do about it. The lack of music was going to be a hurdle to overcome and I tried to push it out of my mind and focus on the race. Music is a luxury I enjoy at running events and I know that for my first Olympic triathlon (later this year) I won't have music for the 10k run so I better get used to running without it.

I was lined up between the 2:00 and 2:15 pacers, hoping to finish the run between 2:05 and 2:10. The middle section of the race is rolling hills that I expected to slow me down compared to my other HM's. The horn sounded and we were off!

The first 3 miles of the course went through the historic downtown on San Luis Obispo passing some of the landmarks: Fremont theater (which is featured in the t-shirt and finishers medal), the mission, and down the main tree lined street. For the first mile I kept a nice quick pace as I let the excitement of the race carry me along with the pack. The lack of music opened up new sounds: the rhythm of thousands of feet, small talk between runners, and (this one got a chuckle from me) the chorus of Garmin/GPS watches all beeping together as we finished the first mile. Heading out of downtown and into the surrounding neighborhood there were a handful of early morning spectators cheering from porches of some of the Victorian style houses. My pace settled down a bit and I was in my groove and I hardly noticed the lack of music.

As the 3rd mile finished so did the easy terrain as we hit the first hill. I run this hill each week as I train so I knew what to expect and shifted into "low" gear and cruised right up. At the top I yelled out "That's the first of many!" and heard some groans and laughs from those in earshot. After a short down and up we were on our way out of town and into the rolling hills for the next 6 miles as the sun rose over the ridge line to the east. The scenery was beautiful for this stretch, green hills and vineyards kept my mind off the inclines and I cruised the downhill segments. There was a great crowd of spectators at one of the intersections and they cheered as we came and went. Favorite signs: "I thought they said RUM!" and "It's not sweat, it's liquid awesome!".

With the hills behind me as we ran back into town I was feeling good. Only a few miles to go and I was cruising. A bunch of my friends were having having mimosas on their porch and gave me a big cheer as I ran by which was a great boost. I looked at my time and thought "wow, I'm pretty close to a sub 2:00, I wonder If I can push the last 1.5 miles..." then came to my senses and realized I'm already running a great race and should finish solid without worrying about the time. Right before the final stretch was a steep little incline followed by a gentle downhill to the finish line. With the gate in sight and the cheering spectators lining the fence I kicked in with all I had left and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, this was great race and I felt good the whole way. I beat my target time by a good 5 minutes and set a half-marathon PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and stretched out. Enjoyed the expo and found friends and fellow runners for pictures and congratulations.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to start working on some speed training.

Event comments:

Excellent race, looking forward to doing it again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/94
Overall: 94/2232
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/489029906
Course: First 3 miles: flat through historic downtown and neighborhoods. Middle 7 miles: rolling hills including beautiful vineyards. Final 3 miles: flat back through town to a small downhill stretch at the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-28 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: San Luis Obispo Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Luis Obispo Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Luis Obispo Triathlon

Started by Bacardi
Views: 1513 Posts: 6

2006-07-30 11:00 PM iswimslo

Started by iswimslo
Views: 1537 Posts: 1

2006-07-24 10:51 AM iswimslo

Started by mfabry
Views: 1377 Posts: 1

2005-08-01 11:34 PM mfabry

Started by iswimslo
Views: 1427 Posts: 1

2005-07-29 12:34 PM iswimslo

Started by lawlessryde
Views: 1137 Posts: 3

2005-07-27 9:30 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.