Boston Athletic Association
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 2s
Overall Rank = 5932/36000
Age Group = 18-39
Age Group Rank = 621/6979
Pre-race routine:

I am a lucky girl. My mom, sister, brother in law and his wife and two of my friends were in town for the race! We had a great time. This could be an entire RR. Especially the post race shenanigans.

Did I mention that I didn't drink beer for the month and a half before the marathon? (Exception being my birthday) WTF was I thinking?????
Event warmup:

Coffee and oatmeal then hustled to the Common to meet my friend/teammate to ride the bus to the village together. It was so great having company!!!

once we got to the village the lines were so long for the porta that we both basically took turns until it was time to head to the coral.

They called my coral but I was still in line for the porta. I was in the first coral and really had to hurry. One lady invited me cut in front of her but a bunch of others caused a big stink EVEN THOUGH THEY WERE IN THE NEXT WAVE (not even coral, WAVE) So, I had to wait. And wait. And wait. Finally another really nice girl called me over to let me in front.

I had to literally run all the way from the village to the coral and just barely snuck in as the gun went off.
Run
  • 3h 18m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I always talk about the possibility of this happening and it finally did. Some uncontrollable things happen on race day and you just have to jt roll with the punches and adjust "the plan." I've talked about this, I've run the scenarios through my head over and over but facing the real thing sucks. It just sucks.

I had a sneaking suspicion of my illness but was in 100% denial. When my throat swelled up and I couldn't sleep any one of the 3 nights I was in Boston before race day I figured it was just the stuffy room...or maybe the pollen. Then when I did my shakeout run the day before and was a sweaty wreck (you know, like when you run when you have a fever?) I thought, oh maybe it's just a little warm here... the sun is out after all! Then my mom came into town, felt my head and announced, "Honey, you have a fever and are burning up!" I am not the kind of person who really gets super sick. Sure a cold here and there but not sick sick. I didn't even know what to do. I contacted my cousin who is a pharmacist to see what would be appropriate to take, knowing I had to run 26.2 miles the next morning. There wasn't a ton I could do. My mom told me, "No sense stressing it, honey. What will be will be and stress will only make it worse."

I know, maybe more than most, there are a wide variety of things you can't control on race day and this was one of them. I had to face the question I have dreaded myself:

What do you do when you are sick on race day?

TL;DR:
5K: Patience...
10K: FML
HM:FML!
30K: FML!!! I'm HOT!
Final: Beer!

First 5K: Very slow (or, before my perspective changed) Last year I had to start in a "slower" coral but had no issues sliding through the crowd but this year it was a major traffic jam. The plan was to stay nice and relaxed and not waste any energy surging around people and just let the gaps open naturally. That didn't really happen, so the first 5K was way off pace. I will say though, I think a big win here was really being patient. I would execute exactly the same way if I had to do it again. No sense wasting energy here.

The 10K: Right after the 5K the crowds opened up a little (as did the road) and I was able to ratchet down the pace and get much closer to my goal marathon pace. I was behind on my 10K time because of the slow first 5K. I was able to tick off the miles how I wanted to but by the time I got to the 10K I knew it was not only unsustainable, but that I was going to have to do something drastically different or I would not finish this race. I was feeling at 10K what I would only consider acceptable at the 25 mile mark. I thought I could outrun this whole sick thing but, nope. This was real. Yikes! I did, however, compose myself and did my now signature BAA move: the heel click.

Half Marathon: I was still mentally letting go of the race I wanted. Ironically I have been working on the concept of expectations (and not having any) and goals. My friend's dad is a psychologist and talks often of expectations. He developed this list of definitions and two of them I have been focusing on are:

Expectations: My fantasy of how things "should" be other than dealing with how they are. Virtually always toxic. (See Goals)

Goals: An activity that is definable, doable, and done.(Measurable) The source of motivation.

Anyway I had lots of time to think of these two definitions and how it all fits into my life, running and otherwise :) Finally, I settled into a pace I thought might be sustainable but allowing myself flexibility to adjust as needed. I wanted to quit more than I have ever wanted to quit anything. Water stations had HEAVY traffic and I thought I might have been melting. I tried to dump a little water on my head and drink at every station. The Wellesley girls were out in full force. Reading their signs made me laugh and I got lots of blown kisses. I love this part of the marathon. Running in this strange sickness induced daze was really strange. My legs didn't hurt or anything but my heartrate felt really high and everything just felt really difficult. Have you ever climbed a flight of stairs when you had a fever? It was like that, the whole time.

30K: My family was at the 17 mile mark and I was using them as my motivation. They hauled their asses out here to watch me run of a course where spectators literally died doing the same thing last year. How effing selfish of me to think about quitting. I tried my best to let go of my disappointment (and EXPECTATIONS) and cherish the moment. The freedom to just run. To soak in the HUGE crowds (1 million people) who were cheering their guts out. How lucky am I? And who cares if I feel a little under the weather. I'm going to finish this fucking marathon, if not for myself, for all of them. I ran past my family and my heart just swelled. I love these people. Not long after I passed them I hit the hills. Of ALL the places on the course, this is where I felt at home. I slowed my pace, shortened my stride and just motored up the hills. I didn't look very far ahead of me and just focused on being in the moment. From mile 18 to 19, then 19 to 20. When I hit 20 I knew I was going to finish this bad boy. It was the first time I felt confident in that. Finally mile 21 came and it was downhill. Freedom.

The Finish: The crowds, my god the crowds. They deserve a RR all of their own. I was blown away last year at the sheer numbers but this year was unreal. They were so motivating and so kind! I could go on and on. One woman (I can't remember where exactly) was holding a sign that said, "Meb won! ...Really, he did!" or something like that. I saw it and flipped the eff out. I was so, so, so excited! Everyone around me was flipping out, too. It was an awesome moment. Probably my favorite of the entire 26.2. It was stinkin' hot by now. I think that even if I were feeling 100% I would have had to adjust my goals a little. It was probably close to 70 by the end which might not sound like much to you but as a Seattleite who trained through the winter in shorts, this may as well have been the gates of hell. I saw that Citgo sign and gave it the middle finger. Then I laughed at my terrible attitude and pulled myself back to positivity. I started high fiving and engaging the crowd. I got chills, I smiled, I was finishing this race!

Taking the left onto Boylston is an indescribable feeling. It is SO LOUD. I threw my hands up, rallying the cheers and trotted my way to the finish. I was so happy to be done.

I don't think I looked great through the finish area and they attempted to get me to go to the med tent a few times. I told them I would be fine and just wanted to find my family.

What would you do differently?:

Drink beer leading up to the marathon. I am sure that was the root of all my problems ;)

Nah, this is the crappiest part. I don't know. I was unable to run this to the best of my ability and therefore I don't have any of the feedback and adjustments I would normally have. It really makes me sad. I have to believe the fitness was there as I ran a PR HM, untapered as well as some other PRs along the way.

I was also really happy with the execution of the first 5K, the nutrition and for the most part, the hydration (it was just plain hot for me though.) I mean, honestly, the entire training block went really well. I felt prepared when I got to the start line. My body felt really healthy, no niggles even. I just failed to perform.

I don't mean for this to be a downer of a RR or just a bitch-fest. I really am proud of myself for finishing this thing. More proud that I am probably letting on. I'm just discontent.

But I am discontent enough to be rather hungry. Hungry for more. Hungry for a personal win. Whatever shape that takes.
Post race
Warm down:

BEER! So much beer and one of the most hilarious nights of my life.

At one point in the early afternoon I, intoxicated, stole a pickle from someone's plate a Cheers. And that was just the beginning ...

I got to eat a ton of great food in Boston and NY including dim sum, lots of Ramen a token Lobster Roll and also did Sam Adams again, checked out the Brooklyn Brewery and had a ton of other wonderful frosty beverages. If I had to pick an MVP beer I would have to go with the Sam Adams 26.2. Mainly because it's low alcohol content (and drinkability) allowed my lightweight/sick ass not make TOO much of a fool of myself.

I also got to meet two BTers MJ (hehe) and Brad! It was an absolute pleasure.

Because I didn't get to run this to my potential my legs felt pretty damn good afterwards. Sitting on (and getting off) the toilet? Check! Going down stairs unassisted? Check!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not drinking beer for a month and a half.

Not get sick ... probably some other things but I don't really know how to evaluate that given I couldn't run how I wanted.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:18:02 | 26.2 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 621/6979
Overall: 5932/36000
Performance: Bad
Course: Down down down, up up up, down.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-04-28 3:37 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Boston Marathon

2014-04-28 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4988466

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon

Great RR! I picked up the exact same sickness, just a day or two later than you. Sunday night I could feel my throat starting to hurt, Monday it was present but I don't think it affected my race, certainly not to the extent it did yours, but from Tuesday afternoon and on it's been all down hill. Finally starting to feel halfway normal again today. 

And yes, more beer prior next time. I gave it up (mostly) for 8 weeks leading in but had one or two here and the few weeks leading in  

2014-04-28 4:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Well managed given feeling poorly.  Awesomeness!

Love the differentiation between goals and expectations.

2014-04-28 7:06 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

No beer???  Are you crazy???  NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY. 

Your RR, as always, is funny and chock full of perspective.  Great race!

Looking forward to your summer of speed.

2014-04-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
I always love reading your RR. You powered through illness and heat to finish the marathon. You are one tough cookie! Congrats!!
2014-04-28 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
New York

As always, your race reports are just a pure joy to read -- even when you didn't have the exact race you wanted that day, there's always a good takeaway and genuine positivity through all the adversity. Congrats on your race. It was quite a feat, especially with that fever!

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: Adrienne, you are a true inspiration. You work so crazy hard. You're dedicated. You're talented. I don't doubt even for a second that you'll get that PR.

And I am so happy I got to meet you in Boston!

2014-04-29 9:21 AM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HOLY CRAP THAT was amazing Well done!

And I love the finish line shot!!
2014-04-29 10:09 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

After reading your incredible race report, I just want to give you a hug!  You are an exemplary person in your attitude, abilities and perspective.  And you are daaaamn fast, sick or well!  Sorry the race wasn't exactly as you hoped or planned, but I know you will find that personal win you are seeking.  And yeah, the no beer thing, what WERE you thinking?!   Great job, Salty, keep up the amazing 'work' ethic and attitude and good things will continue to fall into place.

2014-04-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I am so happy for you Adrienne.  You had the experience of a lifetime and it has been really great your sharing it with us.  I thought about you all day and wondered how you would be doing.  Congrats on your journey and nice altitude on the finish line!!  Hope to see you this summer.

2014-04-29 1:53 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by swishyskirt

As always, your race reports are just a pure joy to read -- even when you didn't have the exact race you wanted that day, there's always a good takeaway and genuine positivity through all the adversity. Congrats on your race. It was quite a feat, especially with that fever!

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: Adrienne, you are a true inspiration. You work so crazy hard. You're dedicated. You're talented. I don't doubt even for a second that you'll get that PR.

And I am so happy I got to meet you in Boston!

Awwww thanks MJ!!!! (it's sticking)

It was soooo great to meet you!!! I totally went to Levain Bakery BTW! Holy hell that was an amazing cookie. I took a picture and was going to send it to you but it looked like literal sh*t. Instagram fail  

2014-04-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by thebigb

Great RR! I picked up the exact same sickness, just a day or two later than you. Sunday night I could feel my throat starting to hurt, Monday it was present but I don't think it affected my race, certainly not to the extent it did yours, but from Tuesday afternoon and on it's been all down hill. Finally starting to feel halfway normal again today. 

And yes, more beer prior next time. I gave it up (mostly) for 8 weeks leading in but had one or two here and the few weeks leading in  

Thanks! I swear I didn't get  you sick

Maybe I'll see you during XC season!  I will eventually get into ultra as well but not quite yet. Maybe we can plan a rim2rim2rim in the future!

2014-04-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Well managed given feeling poorly.  Awesomeness!

Love the differentiation between goals and expectations.

Thanks, Judi! 

2014-04-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

No beer???  Are you crazy???  NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY. 

Your RR, as always, is funny and chock full of perspective.  Great race!

Looking forward to your summer of speed.

Christ on a crutch, no kidding right? Now I've got to make up for lost time

2014-04-29 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Awesome RR! Sux that you didn't feel well, but you pulled out the strength you needed for a decent finish anyhow! I'm glad you got to be there and experience the crowds, and the Sam Adams 26.2!  Monday morning we were driving to Moab and I was sitting in the passenger seat, screaming for MEB and watching as you moved along. So cool that you share these experiences with us. Thank you.

2014-04-29 2:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by thebigb

Thanks! I swear I didn't get  you sick

Maybe I'll see you during XC season!  I will eventually get into ultra as well but not quite yet. Maybe we can plan a rim2rim2rim in the future!

Nope, I know exactly who got me sick, that girl that was hacking on the T next to me on my way in from Boston College on Friday. 

Yes to XC and definitely R2R2R. 

2014-04-29 5:04 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

I'm blown away that you can run a 3:18 feeling like cr%p...that is awesome!  I can't wait to see what you can run when you're 100%.  Good luck the rest of the year.

2014-04-29 5:32 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Master
Orlando

I got stuck on the no beer for a month and a half!  That is just craziness

As always, you amaze me with your mad skills   Congratulations on a great race -even if not up to your expectations -oops, goals. 

2014-05-01 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Adrienne, as always, Great job. You fought through a real toughh one and came out the other side with your ever positive perspective. Thank you for sharing your journey and results with us. Double thanks for the insight into expectations and goals. No get to 100%, we wanna see that PR!!!

2014-05-01 12:35 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

I am so happy for you Adrienne.  You had the experience of a lifetime and it has been really great your sharing it with us.  I thought about you all day and wondered how you would be doing.  Congrats on your journey and nice altitude on the finish line!!  Hope to see you this summer.

Thanks, Steve!!! Some on down for an all-comers meet!!!!!! We could run the 4x4  

2014-05-01 2:41 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Great job Adrienne, that was a really sick pace you were able to maintain Great RR to sum up a great race!
2014-05-02 10:31 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sorry that you had the "sick on race day" experience.  We're so proud of you!

2014-05-02 5:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Isn't the marathon a beast?
She baits you into thinking the challenge is doable, the goal achievable and then RIPS out your heart...

Well, it wasn't really that dramatic, but it never feels good to run a race and finish below your potential...at least I always felt badly when I ran poorly and expected more. (Ironically, Boston '04 was one of those experiences for me, as I was the fittest I had been in my life at the time, but 86 degree heat and pushing the pace for a PR that day did me in...yeah, I learned to not ignore race day conditions on that day)

I am happy you finished the race and got to enjoy the re-celebration of the Boston crowd. I'll bet it was very emotional at times. I would have loved to have been there. I am happy you got to celebrate and spend some quality time with your family and many friends. It sounds like it would have been a great time, if not for sickness/illness.

It s*cks to get sick or injured prior to a race that requires so much time and effort in preparation, but it is always an 'X' factor. You did great to get out on the course and give it a shot, especially as it must have been pretty obvious within the first hour that your body was not cooperating. And yet, you gutted it out quite well. Good job, Adrienne. It takes some guts to do that.

I had fun following you on the athlete tracker, even if it was frustratingly slow. (Refresh...refresh...refresh...!@#!!%!!...refresh...)

Congratulations on a fine training block that will continue to push you higher in terms of fitness. That is another brick in the wall as you aspire to your own highest of heights. Your best is yet to come. I've told you this before and it is so true.

Enjoy a bit of downtime before you go out and zipp out a fast 5K to show you it's there, even if it wasn't proved at your desired distance, the M.
You'll be back to take her on again later...and she better watch out for you...
2014-05-03 4:55 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hot damn, hot girl gets hot and still hot dogs the race ...

Good stuff you've been sharing on expectations. They tend to lead to bitterness IME. Toxic, poison, bitter ... yup.

Staying in the moment leads to triumph and high-heel clicks. Proof.

I wanna know the shenanigans race report ... you think maybe booze mighta killed some of the sickies?

2014-05-04 6:19 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Well done esp sick.  Congrats on a great day........I think its funny you think 70 is too hot    We be wearing jackets here in FL if its 70 !!!

2014-06-11 6:48 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
wow, great RR, and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Boston Marathon

Started by verve500
Views: 2038 Posts: 1

2005-07-28 1:31 PM verve500

Boston Marathon

Started by [email protected]
Views: 952 Posts: 1

2005-06-27 12:55 PM [email protected]

109th BOSTON MARATHON

Started by amiine
Views: 2107 Posts: 11

2005-04-27 3:19 PM amiine

Boston Marathon

Started by ladavidson
Views: 1680 Posts: 7

2005-04-22 2:10 PM nikki

Boston Marathon

Started by jerry
Views: 1183 Posts: 3

2005-04-19 8:45 AM charles81
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.