Houston Area Trail Runners
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 21m 23s
Overall Rank = 48/77
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 38/62
Pre-race routine:

Drove over that morning and dropped my bag off. Just enough time to visit the bathroom before the start.
Run
  • 10h 21m 23s
  • 50 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This was intended to be test race #2 for me after my 100-mile DNF back in Feb. I'm hoping to do the Kettle Moraine 100 in June, and felt like a few long outings to make sure my medical issues are resolved would be a good idea. I ran the Hell's Hills 50-m three weeks ago and finished, but did not feel good about the race. For BB-50, I followed the pacing plan I had in mind and thought the day was an overall success.

No medical issues at all! My gaiters and the new shoes worked great. I did have a toe nail fall off last night, but overall the feet help up well and nutrition plan seemed to work with no issues.

Last half of the race was very hot and humid!

All in all this is a good race, and the terrain and trails through the park are much more interesting than one would think from the web site! Good Race and a great venue!
What would you do differently?:

I did find a couple issues that need resolution before KM.

1. Timing chip need to go on the outside of the gaiter. The strap left me with a few serious chafe cuts.

2. One handheld is not sufficient when it gets hot.For KM, I'm considering an amphipod fanny pack that would hold a extra bottle and some gels. Since I suspect I'll shed the shirt for a good part of the race, I don't want a vest. Other options? Two handheld would be okay, but wouldn't help much with the gels or wrappers.

3. Need a more convenient way to store a gel or two and empty packages.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Followed pacing plan. Still on plan at the end of the race with no real issues.

Event comments:

Good race! Small field, but a nice venue! Course is extremely fast, especially when compared to most ultras. The challenge here is the distance and the heat / humidity.

Last updated: 2014-04-22 12:00 AM
Running
10:21:23 | 50 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/62
Overall: 48/77
Performance: Average
Course: Three loop course around Brazos Bend State Park. The park is about an hour South-West of Houston. Pancake flat is a very accurate description. While this is a trail run, it is run on about the most gentle, non-technical trails you can imagine. No rocky single-track here! Depending on the weather, this course is set up to be FAST! There is an abundance of wildlife in this park. In the 2014 race, I must have seen at least 50 alligators. The race is safe....the gators didn't seem to have any interest in all the people, but it did make things interesting.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-28 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Brazos Bend 50-mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brazos Bend 50-mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago 50/50 - 50 Miler

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1922 Posts: 2

2008-11-03 7:15 PM enginerd

Solvang Prelude 50 Miles

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1138 Posts: 5

2006-11-07 12:00 PM van_paulus

MS COAST THE COAST BIKE TOUR 50 MILES

Started by JenBunn1e
Views: 943 Posts: 1

2006-09-02 10:26 PM JenBunn1e

Scripps Ranch Old Pros 50 mile bike ride

Started by joker70
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2005-07-06 7:24 PM joker70

Rosarito to Ensenada 50 mile bike ride

Started by joker70
Views: 970 Posts: 1

2005-06-14 11:27 PM joker70
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2012
author : tesselate331
comments : 26
Doing triathlons will help you re-energize your optimism about life and feel 30 again. I promise!

date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
A brief history on aero bar evolution with a review on the bars that I own and love.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.