General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New in CT Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-29 6:08 PM

User image

Subject: New in CT
Hello everyone. Thought I would introduce myself here as well. I am new to triathlon, hope to find a race this summer.
I would appreciate any advice on gear, training, and best first race for a newcomer. Anything to help me not look like a fool. Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric in Terryville

2014-04-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: egruettner

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: New in CT
Originally posted by egruettner

Hello everyone. Thought I would introduce myself here as well. I am new to triathlon, hope to find a race this summer.
I would appreciate any advice on gear, training, and best first race for a newcomer. Anything to help me not look like a fool. Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric in Terryville

Welcome Eric!
I don't often check out the state forums, but did notice this.

Triathlon is a blast and there are many choices for newcomers. The Lake Teramuggus series on Thursday nights is friendly and fun. The course is not too challenging and I would recommend that.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Terramuggus-Triathlon-Series/112...

What bike do you plan to use? What is your training plan? Do you have any S/B/R experience?
Have you read any books or done any scouting out articles?

Tell us more...
2014-04-30 6:13 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Lots of questions, and I have so many of my own. No formal s/b/r experience. I started running again after many years this past fall and have done races ranging from 5k to 7miles. I was training for a half marathon, when I hurt my foot last month I was stuck in the pool. That is when the loose idea of maybe one day became, I might actually be able to try a triathlon sometime this year.

My swimming is not pretty, alternating laps sidestroke to crawl but I make due, I believe I am up to about 1/2 a mile in the pool. I get a little better every time. The bike is my biggest problem right now as I do not currently have one. My father was going to lend me one of his old road bikes but it turned out to be much to large for me. He is trying to dig out and even older one now and get it into serviceable shape, at the same time I am trolling craigslist and garage sales hoping to find something I can afford.

For advice so far I have been defaulting to sites and forums such as this one, and I will probably try one of the beginner training plans once I get back to running and find a bike.

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to say hello. Hopefully I will get out to one this summer as it looks like a lot of fun.
2014-04-30 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by egruettner

Lots of questions, and I have so many of my own. No formal s/b/r experience. I started running again after many years this past fall and have done races ranging from 5k to 7miles. I was training for a half marathon, when I hurt my foot last month I was stuck in the pool. That is when the loose idea of maybe one day became, I might actually be able to try a triathlon sometime this year.

My swimming is not pretty, alternating laps sidestroke to crawl but I make due, I believe I am up to about 1/2 a mile in the pool. I get a little better every time. The bike is my biggest problem right now as I do not currently have one. My father was going to lend me one of his old road bikes but it turned out to be much to large for me. He is trying to dig out and even older one now and get it into serviceable shape, at the same time I am trolling craigslist and garage sales hoping to find something I can afford.

For advice so far I have been defaulting to sites and forums such as this one, and I will probably try one of the beginner training plans once I get back to running and find a bike.

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to say hello. Hopefully I will get out to one this summer as it looks like a lot of fun.

Here's my advice:
S-practice swimming so that you can swim freestyle/crawl-slowly and steadily; swim regularly, not fast, not hard-just steady and you will gain confidence that you can swim far; aim for 3-4x/week for 20-30 minutes-if able; then try to go very short distances a bit faster and focus on form with good technique; watch video; read some books and learn how to swim

B-find an entry level road bike and ride a lot; as much as you can; again just get some miles in and have fun; cycling is a blast! if you have $$ issues, PM me about some more specific details and I will help you out

R-jog some miles and you will improve; put some strides in and that is all you need to run; more is better
here's my blurb about running from just prior to my own crossing over to triathlon from running-due to injury and old age
http://www.kickrunners.com/a/dales-dissertations

overall, find a schedule that allows you to become a triathlete in training. put some time in and train the 3 disciplines and pick a race...once it's on your calander and you begin training, you are a triathlete!

if you decide to do a Lake T race, let me know, as I will try to be there if my schedule allows
2014-06-26 9:19 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Hello Eric,

I am new to tri's and this forum.. so little to offer at this time.

There are weekly events in Farmington - mountain bike and trail running.
http://www.windingtrails.org/index.php?id=315

I signed up for the "5 pack" - having completed one. Next one is July 1st (this Tuesday).

I am a BOP'er and just working on finishing and getting better...

There is another at Terramungus.

I just bought a mountaing bike from Newington Bike as they are great people and sponsor quite a few events. Shop is full of bikers and tri athletes.

http://newingtonbike.com/about/2014-triathlon-registrations-pg603.h...

Best,
-Dennis
2014-06-27 6:59 PM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

HI Guys -

Been watching - Im doing my first OLY 3 weeks! So pumped! I was running for a couple years, started doing races 2 yrs ago. Completed 3 FM with 4:28 as my PR (hilly course- warm day- I can beat this time!!!) - anyway - I started doing some bike rides last year, then also got the idea of doing a TRI when someone on run boards did one.

For ERIC -

Best thing I did was join the YMCA (and their TRI club) - I was able to start swimming regularly, got the kids into some classes. The TRI club does runs (but Im okay there on my own) they also do weekly bike rides with increasing distances. - They have done some Open Water Swims (OWS) which I would not have done otherwise. Lastly, they are great cheerleaders. They ran a "mock" sprint triathlon this week and they show up to a lot of local events with good enthusiasm.

Anyway -
I am getting really excited for my race. I did the mock tri, and my sighting was way off. I still dont have my wetsuit delivery yet, but not worried. Might plan to go without even when it does arrive. - Bought an entry level bike this year, Specialized Allez 2013. Thinking of adding some clip on aero bars before the race. - Thats about it. Im really happy with where I am in my training. I looked at last years results and a little afraid I might come in very near the back of the pack.

Recent 1/2 mile OWS 27 minutes - 15 mile bike 59 minutes - run 2.3 miles 21 minutes. Total 1:54.
Estimate for OLY - 45 minutes? 1600M - 1:45 25Mile - Run 59:00 6.2Miles. = 3:45?

Ive really been enjoying the posts on BT site. Only found this place a few weeks ago. Thanks for any advice for a newbie.

2014-06-28 10:20 PM
in reply to: BF JEFF

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Hello Jeff,

Good luck on your Oly! I will be keeping tabs to see how you are doing..

Best,
-Dennis
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New in CT Rss Feed