General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female Problem/Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-30 8:35 AM

Subject: Female Problem/Question
Erm...I feel a bit embarrassed about posting this, especially as it's my first post. Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong place (I never was very good at navigating forums).

Guys should look away now if you don't like reading about 'female stuff'.

I have recently started training for a triathlon (very recently) and I face the same problem as many ladies every month; the dreaded period. Unfortunately, I have another problem as well. Without going into too much detail, I can't 'insert' things. I've tried tampons and cups, but it is always far too uncomfortable for me and constantly irritates my erm...yeah (I certainly couldn't work out with anything 'in there').

I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on how to train with or around this problem, particularly when swimming. Is there anyway to deal with this or am I just going to have to face the fact that I can't train on 'those days'.

I'm nowhere near ready for a race yet (literally starting from scratch), but I'm dreading the day when I do feel that I'm ready as I know that my timing is going to be ‘off’ (sod's law).

Edited by Clueless 2014-04-30 8:36 AM

2014-04-30 9:54 AM
in reply to: Clueless

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Female Problem/Question

AAAAARGH I had a long reply written and it vanished!

Anyway Clueless, welcome to BT and triathlon! Always ask--we regularly discuss things like intimate saddle sores and peeing on ourselves. Truth.

- tried all-natural additive-free tampons? http://www.natracare.com Or sea sponges, which are very soft and bendy and are unlikely to be uncomfortable (and are inserted damp or wet, v easy) http://www.gladrags.com

- during menstruation, plan a bike and/or run focus--cheap bike shorts can act like a pad and you were gonna wash them anyway. They can also be run in (or run with a very soft pad, cloth is usually better for that).

- or do just the minimum necessary to maintain fitness--have a "pullback" time (these are recommended anyway) and/or focus on cross-training such as dryland swim cords (awesome ... http://www.sheilat.com re swim tubing), stair climbing, strength training, yoga, etc.

Good luck!

2014-05-02 9:48 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

AAAAARGH I had a long reply written and it vanished!

Anyway Clueless, welcome to BT and triathlon! Always ask--we regularly discuss things like intimate saddle sores and peeing on ourselves. Truth.

- tried all-natural additive-free tampons? http://www.natracare.com Or sea sponges, which are very soft and bendy and are unlikely to be uncomfortable (and are inserted damp or wet, v easy) http://www.gladrags.com

- during menstruation, plan a bike and/or run focus--cheap bike shorts can act like a pad and you were gonna wash them anyway. They can also be run in (or run with a very soft pad, cloth is usually better for that).

- or do just the minimum necessary to maintain fitness--have a "pullback" time (these are recommended anyway) and/or focus on cross-training such as dryland swim cords (awesome ... http://www.sheilat.com re swim tubing), stair climbing, strength training, yoga, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response.

Basically any kind of tampon and cup are out of the question. So I guess it's just a case of restricting what I do over 'those' days to bike and running.

I suppose it's not too much trouble to just schedule around it, although it could potentially be a problem if I ever get to the point where I want to do a race (but that's a long way off).
2014-05-02 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4989475

User image

New user
Not sure if this is an option for you but have you ever considered birth control pills? I take a bc pill every day and haven't had a period in 2 years. (With my doc's ok, of course) I skip the placebo week and go right into the next pack. Just another option. Hope you find something that works for you!
2014-05-03 7:25 AM
in reply to: Clueless

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Similar issues here. But I normally carry on as usual on "those days" with both training and racing. For bike and run, you can use pads--the super-thin maxi ones with wings work well. Wear dark shorts, maybe some compression shorts under regular run shorts if running to keep everything in place, black socks just in case. Biking should be less of an issue since there's a pad in the shorts anyway and you're sitting down. If using pads while training or racing, Body Glide or similar to prevent chafing is very helpful. As for swimming--many women naturally stop in the water, esp. if it's cold. Just arrange it so you have a very quick transition from changing area to pool. Occasionally if it's a very heavy day and the pool's warm, I might swap out that workout with a run or ride instead, out of respect for the pool, just in case!

Personally, in a race situation, I would just bleed and deal with it by wiping with sponges and throwing water over myself. (I usually race in the tropics, so a lot of that happens anyway!),Plus wear black tri shorts and socks! I spend way too much money and time on my races to pull out due to something short of serious illness/injury, and don't want to mess with my hormones simply for the sake of convenience. If you don't want to take the pill or be a bloody mess, most races have porta-potties in/near transition where you could put in a pad after the swim, and also some along the course where you could handle things as needed. Have never actually started a tri with my period, but have gotten it during a tri run and seconds before a marathon start,, and done all manner of other races, including a duathlon that took nearly four hours, and managed just fine. Everyone's body is different, but for me, it doesn't really affect performance. I do tend to be more sensitive to cold at that time and just before, but don't know if that's true for other women--I'm a cold-water wimp on the best of days. If you decide not to go the pill route, experiment in training and find what works best for you before it becomes an issue in a race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Female Problem/Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

51 year old knee problem questions

Started by k1banjo
Views: 882 Posts: 3

2012-08-30 10:02 PM k1banjo

Foot Problem cause Leg Problems?

Started by davidlbass
Views: 1223 Posts: 4

2012-01-16 2:47 AM jacksonema

Knee problems and solutions...really a question...

Started by ferretracer
Views: 2322 Posts: 12

2010-08-11 5:33 PM ferretracer

Females- GYN concerns

Started by runner
Views: 1503 Posts: 19

2009-05-26 8:45 PM TriToy

Gash on Chest (Female)

Started by TriAya
Views: 1541 Posts: 7

2008-02-16 8:09 PM VanderRyan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 16, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
What are all these new funny-shaped saddles all about? Are they more comfortable than older designs? Will they keep me healthier so I can train on my bike longer? Should I change my saddle?

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.