General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your go-to daily snack? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-02 2:47 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: What is your go-to daily snack?
Stuff that's easy to keep in a desk drawer.

Almonds, granola bars, power bars, apples and some popcorn.

I try to keep it simple for snacks. Leave the heavy lifting to my meals.

2014-05-02 2:57 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Trail mix. If my tank is low, bagel with butter and honey.
2014-05-02 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I like to make the vegan (i'm not a vegan) energy bars using the formula over at nomeatathlete.com
2014-05-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: japewang

Mid morning snack is fruit, blueberries and grapes lately. I'll also have a nut/fruit bar as a random snack.
2014-05-02 3:31 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Meathead

Originally posted by ajusf16
why not change your snacks for your kids and then your go to options won't be goldfish or m&ms

Because I don't want my children to murder me in my sleep & I also don't want them to grow up as those weird kids who eat alfalfa sprouts at Halloween.

Speaking as a mom of 2 growing boys(ages 6 and 9), here are the snacks that we have available in my house:

homemade trail mix - all raw nuts (no peanuts), raisins and some dried cranberries
homemade granola sweetened with honey
movie theater and olive oil popcorn from trader joes
hard boiled eggs
cut up carrots (not the baby carrots, but ones I have actually cut up)
apples, strawberries, watermelon

beef jerky and meat sticks - nitrate free and usually organic
almond and sunbutter (no sugar added)

I find that if I have crap in the house, we eat crap. I wouldn't feed myself processed, refined sugar snacks, I sure don't want my kids to eat them either.
90% of the time we eat well, so that the other 10% - at the movies, holidays, special occasions - we have what we want and no one complains.
2014-05-02 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Meathead
Originally posted by ajusf16 why not change your snacks for your kids and then your go to options won't be goldfish or m&ms
Because I don't want my children to murder me in my sleep & I also don't want them to grow up as those weird kids who eat alfalfa sprouts at Halloween.

^^^^ This for sure.

Go to snacks for me:

Raisins, yogurt, bananas, apples, Crunchy Cheetoes, Honey Nut Cheerios, Ice Cream, Buffalo Wings, Stuffed Crust pizza.....  Wow.  I think I'm hungry.

2014-05-02 4:03 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

NC
Originally posted by runspingirl

Get a $20 air popper and you can make any favor you want (and save a ton). One of my favorite kitchen tools.

2014-05-02 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Austin

my desk drawer always has Triscuts, almonds, sunflower seeds in shell. sun butter, and I make my own jerky almost every week. I also snack on some Hershey chocolate once in a while since the desk mate has a candy dish full of it.

In the freezer at home and work is organic mixed vegies and I make a cup or two a day of them as snacks also.

At home I try to eat sprouted grain bread with sun butter and jelly. But I always end up making a small plate of nachos it seems with organic corn chips and any kind of cheese we have in the house.

I can't do fruit, it gives me terrible heart burn.

Oh and granola, I eat tons of the stuff. no sugar, some sugar sticky doesn't matter.

Edited by jetsers 2014-05-02 5:15 PM
2014-05-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not a big snacker, as my schedule often leaves me no time to snack (train-teach-coach-train with zero breaks, just a few minutes to change clothes!) When I do have time, it's usually fruit (banana, apple, pomelo) and/or nuts or nut butter. In the US, I like apples with peanut butter, but it's hard to find good apples here. Or whole wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas. Or mangoes, eaten over the sink. I love almonds, but they're generally not sold here; when they are, ridiculously expensive and not fresh. I haul them in by the kilo from the US and Singapore, I ask them people bring them back for me when they travel. Another go-to snack when I'm in the US is plain Kashi with kefir, almonds, and berries.

Also love dark chocolate, but I'd consider it a dessert rather than a snack. I'm addicted to these pricey single-origin bars from a French chocolatier who grows his beans in the highlands here--at $5 a bar and up, a little square of it makes a nice dessert!
2014-05-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Goosedog

Originally posted by runspingirl

Get a $20 air popper and you can make any favor you want (and save a ton). One of my favorite kitchen tools.

x2! Family of 6 here and we air pop all the time. The gadget is cheap and easy to store, too.
2014-05-03 4:08 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jarvy01
Originally posted by runspingirl movie theater and olive oil popcorn from trader joes
x2! Family of 6 here and we air pop all the time. The gadget is cheap and easy to store, too.

I don't even use a gadget... just a pot with a lid on the stove.

Grapeseed oil and peanut oil are wonderful for popping corn. Let it heat up with some salt - test 3 or 4 kernels first in different parts of the pan to make sure the oil is hot enough. Then put in the rest of the kernels, lid on. Shake it around as it pops. So good.

2014-05-03 4:18 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by runspingirl movie theater and olive oil popcorn from trader joes

Grapeseed oil and peanut oil are wonderful for popping corn. Let it heat up with some salt - test 3 or 4 kernels first in different parts of the pan to make sure the oil is hot enough. Then put in the rest of the kernels, lid on. Shake it around as it pops. So good.

Man that's a blast from the past! I didn't think people still made popcorn in pans on the stove top, that's awesome.
2014-05-03 4:27 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
2014-05-04 5:00 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by lisac957

That's how we made it before we got the gadget
2014-05-04 8:00 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

I've started keeping Kind bars around. Taste pretty good.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is your go-to daily snack? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Going to the Bike show and I am ....

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1312 Posts: 16

2007-04-13 4:28 PM ChicagoMan65

I am going to see the Kona race !!!

Started by Z-dog
Views: 628 Posts: 4

2006-09-25 3:00 PM CitySky

Ummm...I am going 2 sound dumb...

Started by bballer2tri
Views: 1229 Posts: 18

2005-07-09 10:55 AM Machiavelo

another swim question, am I good to go?

Started by Tizzy
Views: 1173 Posts: 11

2005-02-18 12:48 PM autumn

Ok, I am going to ask again! Pages: 1 2

Started by Tribry262
Views: 2091 Posts: 30

2005-01-06 4:36 PM 3558
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Energy bars, gluten-free snacks, nut butters, ice cream, candy and vegetarian options for healthy snacking.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.