General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona area vacation advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-03 1:22 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Kona area vacation advice
Whoopie! Planning summer trip to the Big Island, Kona side. I have been there before, but we stayed in Hilo and just drove through Kona en route around the island at one point. Don't want to race, but will be training for an Olympic tri a few weeks later. Still looking at places to stay. Any advice on

*Good places to run/ride
*Places to rent bikes (doesn't have to be fancy, 75 year old Mom in tow)
*Best beaches for swimming--Is the Ironman route marked when the race isn't going on? (And where is it?) Are people out there swimming on a normal day? Would love to do part/all of it if feasible. I'm a strong swimmer and comfortable with ocean OWS (lived on Oahu for a few years, most of my races now are in the ocean), but would prefer to be at a beach with lifeguards and other swimmers. Any issues with sea life? I'm only familiar with Hapuna beach on the Kona side. Would conditions be similar?
*Anything else I should know?

2014-05-05 7:20 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Subject: RE: Kona area vacation advice

The Queen K generally has nice big shoulders, but there is a lot of other routes on the Big Island.  I would ask the bike shops and run shops.  They shouldn't be hard to find via google.  Bike Works is the shop most well known, but there are others.

The Ironman swim does have buoys out year round and people do swim there every morning.  They aren't the big orange ones but rather smaller white cylinders.  I don't think the last buoy goes all the way out to where the IM turn around is though.  That's pretty far...over a mile.  They have little cubby holes at the pier to leave some belongings in, but I wouldn't leave more than some flip flops and maybe a towel.  The only other place I have swam is Hapuna beach, but I'm sure there are others.  As with any area around Hawaii, waters are generally calmer in the morning.

Your time spent on Oahu should help you adapt to "island life."  Do know that they recently passed a law banning plastic bags, so best to pack some eco friendly grocery bags when you go shopping.

2014-05-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the info. Will probably be doing most of my biking with Mom, so not planning any super-long rides. Might try to see if I can join a group ride sans Mom one day if one is available at reasonable distance/pace, though, to get in some training. Will have to check out the IM swim. Can station Mom on the beach wearing something bright for sighting purposes--this is normal on our vacations. Stupid question, but where IS the swim? Is there only one pier? Nearby landmarks? Or does everyone in town just know? Will probably get in a swim at Hapuna as well. Not a Kona wannabe (though might have to do a run down Alii Drive), but I do like to swim and miss Hawaii.

We have the same plastic bag rule in my hometown in Oregon now, so have lots of those bags. Staying at a B and B about five miles out of town. It has a kitchenette so will do some of our own cooking if she can stand the sticker shock at the grocery store. (Had to give her a lecture about "paradise tax" at the grocery store on Maui a few years ago, and explain why cereal cost so much. Got her to eat sai min for breakfast but no go on spam musubi!
2014-05-08 8:19 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Everyone knows where the swim is.  Kona literally shuts down once a year for the race...the locals know.  Specifically though, the pier (it's a small pier) is where Ali'i drive and Palani connect right in front of the King Kamehameha hotel.  There is no beach there though.  She can sit on a rock wall, but if you have ever watched the Kona coverage and seen people coming out of the water and onto the stairs...that's exactly what it is like except the stairs aren't there and you sort of have to climb down a couple of walls that are about 2 feet high.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kona area vacation advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maui Vacation

Started by popsracer
Views: 1018 Posts: 6

2013-03-05 11:35 PM metafizx

Kona Vacation

Started by canadazw
Views: 1016 Posts: 1

2012-06-06 8:52 PM canadazw

Vacation in Kauai

Started by fireplug30
Views: 2261 Posts: 4

2011-07-07 12:15 AM tritwinmom

Vacation bike rental / routes?

Started by steves_training
Views: 1980 Posts: 8

2010-06-25 2:43 AM brandonperea

vacation

Started by ejshowers
Views: 2115 Posts: 5

2010-03-26 1:30 AM tri808
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
author : Coach AJ
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : October 20, 2008
author : Lora109
comments : 9
I got about a minute into it and, despite bracing myself against it for months, I panicked. I could not get my breath. I said, "I can't do this, I can't do this."

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
The transition area gets busy real fast!