General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Long Course - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Stillwater, Minnesota
United States
Tri Fitness
Total Time = 2h 03m 59s
Overall Rank = 33/65
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

Nothing all that special. Had my coffee and some carbs for breakfast. Got to the race and setup for my first duathlon.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up. I figured the the first 5k run would get things revved up just fine.
Run
  • 25m 59s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 12s  min/km
Comments:

I hadn't been training as much as I wanted for the race. It was also the opening race for my season. So I thought I'd just try and go out a little fast and see if by some chance I'd be able to break 2 hours in the race. So I ran the first 5k at a brisk pace for me. Not an all out 5k pace, but about 1 min/mile faster than my normal training pace.

The run went pretty well and I didn't feel that I pushed too hard where it would affect the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I was pretty happy with this part of the race. No changes.
Transition 1
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

I had a primo transition spot. So I was in and out of transition quickly.

nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 6s
  • 20 miles
  • 18.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills on this course were rough. There were 2 climbs on each loop where I really needed a lower gear. I was on my lowest gear and had to slow my cadence much lower than I like, which means I was having to push much harder than I like. So those would sap my energy pretty well. The second loop was worse than the first.

Somehow I was able to take advantage of the downhills and keep my average speed up at a respectable level for me. But the effects would become quite evident in the second run.

Get a different cassette for my bike? I think a lower gear where I could have kept the power output lower on the tougher climbs would have been the biggest help.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Another quick transition thanks to my spot.

nothing
Run
  • 30m 42s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 08s  min/km
Comments:

This run felt horrible from the beginning. About a quarter mile into it, I was seriously wondering if I'd be able to complete it without walking. The hills on the bike course just killed my legs.

Somehow I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and pushed through. The hills on the run course were much more of a struggle the 2nd time around.

Find a way to not kill myself on the bike so I could have some legs to run on.
Post race
Warm down:

I chugged a whole bunch of muscle milk samples that were being given out and chowed down on some tacos. Walking back and forth a few times between the race site and my car to pack my bike and enjoy some of the food was rough. But eventually I got back to semi-normal on the car ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

While I could have gone a little easier on the first run and a little slower in general on the bike, the hills were the big thing. I really needed a lower gear to spin in while I climbed those more steep hills so I wouldn't have to exert so much force just to keep moving forward. That had to have cost me 3-4 minutes on the second run.

Event comments:

It was a good race overall and a nice way to open the racing season in Minnesota. Assuming I get a new cassette (or significantly increase my bike fitness) I plan on making this a regular event.

Last updated: 2014-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:59 | 05 kms | 05m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 34/65
Performance: Good
Course: The running course was an out and back. There were some rolling hills to deal with.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:06:06 | 20 miles | 18.15 mile/hr
Overall: 35/65
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This was a 2 loop course. There were 2 shorter, but fairly steep climbs as well as a few more minor climbs on each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:42 | 05 kms | 06m 08s  min/km
Overall: 47/65
Performance: Bad
Course: same course as the first run
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-04 10:00 PM

User image

Subject: Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Short Course

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 572 Posts: 2

2013-05-06 5:18 AM qrkid

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Long Course

Started by nfinstad
Views: 652 Posts: 1

2012-05-07 10:23 PM nfinstad

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Long Course

Started by lakelandsledder
Views: 773 Posts: 1

2012-05-07 1:00 PM lakelandsledder

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon - Short Course

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 754 Posts: 1

2012-05-05 9:18 PM stevestenzel

Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon

Started by MNGopher
Views: 1137 Posts: 2

2010-05-11 10:43 AM MNHockey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.