Sarasota Storm Tri Club
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 71/172
Age Group = 39 & Under Clyd
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Kentucky Derby party Saturday afternoon and a Cinco de Mayo party Saturday night. Not the best day before a race nutrition. On race day I went with a Belvita Breakfast Biscuit and a glass of 1% milk. Seemed to work ok. As always, got to the race site early, 5:!5 am, went to packet pick-up, got into transition, set up on an end spot on the rack, waited to hear water temp. When it was announced it would be a wet suit legal race, I grabbed my suit and headed to the truck.
Event warmup:

With transition closing at 6:45 and my wave not starting until 7:50, I got out of the cool morning temps and sat in my truck. Set an alarm just in case I dozed off. Managed to get in a 30 minute nap. Woke up, headed to the porti-pottie, got on the wet suit and waited for my wave to be called.
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

While I had a great swim, it was not my favorite. Water was murky and very hard to see. Tried to draft but had a hard time judging the distance to the feet in front of me. Eventually got to the side and ended up passing him. I like the concept of the venue but I'm just not a fan of lake swims in south Florida, however, the presence of alligators seems to motivate me.
What would you do differently?:

Based off the time and overall placing, nothing. Very happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Very short run from swim exit to T1 entrance. Transition was very sloppy due to all the rain during the 2 prior days. Again, there was a very short run from T1 exit to the bike mount line. The transition zone itself was two long lines of racks, 1 for the sprint and 1 for the OLY. Only issue was how narrow it was, racks were parallel to the fences so there was no room to put bags by the fence. Everything had to be next to or under your bike.

NOT HIT STOP ON MY GARMIN!!! Not sure what I was thinking, but I hit the START/STOP button as I exited the swim instead of the LAP button. Fortunately, I realized what I did when I hit the same button as I got on the bike and my watch said to "start swimming." I quickly hit the Lap button twice and got back on track. Really need to find something to keep my sunglasses from fogging up while I'm swimming.
Bike
  • 31m 38s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Squirrelly! That's all I can say about that. The sprint was a single loop of a course that had multiple hard 90 degree turns, loose sand, rocks, two way bike traffic on the wrong side of the road, cobble stones, standing water, uncontrolled intersections, and a dismount area that was literally right where the runners were exiting from T2. There was one crash just ahead of me on the two-way section. Almost hit a volunteer when he stepped out in front of me without looking. Had 2 other close calls, one when a rider passed me just before the cobble stone section and then abruptly almost stopped to go over the cobbles, and one later when a car passed just before an intersection then attempted to make a right and entered into the bike lane. This course has some serious flaws that need to be addressed.

Other than redesign the course, not much. Felt very good on the bike. Speed on the straight sections was good, wish the turns didn't kill so much of my speed. Just need to keep riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

The dismount line was not very well marked and I was almost on top of it before I realized it was time to get off the bike. The dismount line was right near the exit of T2 which created a section of the course where you had cyclists and runners on the same stretch of road at the same time. Transition conditions had deteriorated to the point where it was now mostly mud and grass clippings. Took a few extra seconds to clean off the feet before heading out on the run.

NOT LOSE A CLEAT WHEN JUMPING OFF THE BIKE. Still not sure how that happened, but my left cleat popped off as I jumped off my bike. Had to stop, turn around and go back for it. Luckily, a volunteer had picked it up and handed it to me. My other dumb move was to run back to my bike and drop my empty gel wrapper, DUH!!! There are garbage cans at the water stations!
Run
  • 34m 8s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was long. The sprint was about a 3rd of a mile longer than advertised and those poor people doing the OLY ran well over an extra half mile! For a simple out and back, that is unacceptable.

Train, lose weight, and learn to accept the suck.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to find shade but the only place was inside of the registration tent and without a breeze it was too hot in there. Found the beer tent, grabbed a cold one, went back to the truck and used the water they handed me at the finish to rinse off and then changed into some clean and dry clothes. Headed back to the finish line area to cheer on some teammates that were racing in the OLY.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The layout on the bike course and the extra length on the run. Besides that, lack of training and attending 2 parties the day/night before a race.

Event comments:

Although this is a race that has been put on for many years by a local tri club, this is only the second or third year at this location. There are plenty of details to be worked out. I preferred the beach location versus the rowing complex. Not sure I will be doing this one again.

Last updated: 2014-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 400 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 26/172
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU - ST:2
Course: Straight 400 meter swim parallel to the beach. The start was from the floating dock at the end of the rowing course. You had to be in the water with one hand on the dock at the start. Even though we were only 25 feet from shore, it was a deep water swim. The turn from the last buoy to the exit was no more than 15 feet.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:38 | 10 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Overall: 50/172
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Sort of a modified lollipop route. Exited the small island over the bridge and headed south. Turned onto what looked like a service road/paved bike trail then made a left onto city streets for a loop that returned to the service road/bike trail before heading north back to the island on the opposite side of the lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:08 | 03.4 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 117/172
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the west side of the lake with 3 small bridges right at the beginning/end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-05-05 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: FIT Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course

Started by junthank
Views: 1143 Posts: 1

2012-05-13 7:39 AM junthank

Started by jimmy raybon
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2012-05-12 12:06 PM jimmy raybon

Started by RedCorvette
Views: 1122 Posts: 3

2011-05-16 8:48 PM cwpeters

Started by Karibu
Views: 1357 Posts: 2

2011-05-16 8:59 AM sport13

Started by cwpeters
Views: 1722 Posts: 6

2011-05-15 8:54 PM _Deb_
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.