General Discussion Race Reports! » Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Lifetime Fitness
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 53s
Overall Rank = 81/250
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/39
Pre-race routine:

4:20 wake up. The usual get ready routine and would've been out the door when the sitter came at 5...but forgot to pack a number belt and couldn't find mine. Hunted one down and left at 5:10. This delay made me miss out on pre-race coffee. Nooooooo! Ate a small Luna bar and a banana in the car, washed down with some water. My throat was still having issues, so drinking/eating hurt and I know I didn't have enough hydration.
Event warmup:

Transition closed at 6:15. Jason had to drop me off down the road because of parking garage jam. My warm up was a fast .3mi walk to the bathrooms, through markings, and finally to my bike for a quick transition organization. Funny how nervous all of this used to make me. Not many butterflies this morning. At 6;15 I met Jason near the start and he zipped me up and took a couple of lovely wetsuit/swim cap/goggles=alien pics.
Swim
  • 20m 57s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Sooooo...first open water wetsuit swim. I felt pretty invincible. The swim always scares me, but I didn't feel it this morning. I practiced in the pool with the suit all week. I had no panic moments, or constriction issues. I got as adjusted as I could and bobbed down a bit to get that going under feeling over with.
I'm not a good swimmer, barely average. My goals for this swim were to be more confident holding a line and to sight better than my last open water sprint. I certainly did that...a little too well. I swam into one of the buoys. Swimming an inside "line"(I use the term loosely here) when you're not one of the out front swimmers is a little like learning to drive a manual transmission car while in a washing machine, lots of stopping and going and stuttering and swerving and churning and bubbles. But I did have my trusty wetsuit to take the brunt of the elbows and feet.
Anyway, as I tried to be more aggressive than last year, I found myself kicked and bumped much more often. I took this as a good sign that I was where I needed to be instead of way outside. The first turn I did have to come back to the buoy a bit, but the others I was "spot on". It was hard to keep my head down and arms/legs moving, especially in the first few minutes with so much bumping, but I think I did a decent job overall.
As I got to the exit, I reminded myself to relax and let them help me out. Last year's races left me with bruises from trying to scramble up. Getting to the steps in a larger group this time, I had to pause a second to get a hand. Then I realized the lady in front of me was hanging on to the railing with both hands and not getting a pull out. So I graciously put my hand on her backside and shoved her up the steps. She was quite thankful for the help, and I could finally get out.

What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming more
Don't worry about bumping into people so much
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers...new experience. Will know for next time 1) don't keep running when I feel someone grab my suit and 2) lie down immediately. I'm just glad the first didn't cause the second this first go around.
Considering how long of a run it is from steps to bike, getting feet dried and into socks and shoes, plus helmet/sunglasses, I'm not unhappy with this time.

Don't make strippers chase me
Bike
  • 39m 59s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

As other races have shown, bike is my strength. I was so happy to get to riding after the swim. Unfortunately, my start was delayed at the mount line by people having issues clipping in. I didn't squeeze by them because I didn't want to cause a tip-over.
Once I was on the course, I fell into my rhythm pretty quickly. There was a lady in a pink t-shirt that I caught up to and rode near for a couple of miles. She made me chuckle as she yelled and cheered for everyone going the other way. Two or three aero bar/helmet tri club women blew past me, but for the most part I just picked people off little by little.
When I got to the first bridge crossing, Jason was there to yell, "Go get 'em!" at me because there were two women right in front of me. One of the ladies I played leap frog with for most of the course. She had passed me and yelled "Nice shirt!" because we both were wearing SOAS. We had a decent ride going, but she was very cautious in the turns and I slowed down near her several times when I needed to carry speed. At one turn about a mile before the second bridge crossing, I got around her enough at a corner so I could take off down the hill. I stuck a Gu in my mouth to take when I got to the top of the hill about 5min before transition.
Across the bridge I saw Jason again and then took the last few corners into dismount. I unclipped easily and ran past several people going into transition.

Maybe a little more water. It was really warming up. I had a drink every 10min or so. I find it hard to regulate when I've just gotten out of the swim.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Ran in and racked bike. Helmet and glasses off. Shoe change. Number belt on. Visor on.

Grab a quick drink
Run
  • 32m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 31s  min/km
Comments:

It was so slow coming off the bike. My legs weren't happy to run. Grabbed a quick drink at first station. Kept chugging along. Got passed....a lot. Passed a few. Going along I saw that all the return runners were above me. This meant, of course, that the turn around went up a hill. Blech! I also found out that there were 3-4 hills on the way back. My knees were really feeling them. At the second station I poured some water down my neck and the third station had ice.
At the last few hundred yards I saw Jason again. He gave me a little Ra Ra! to get moving and I caught and passed two women in the chute. It was little consolation for the overall cruddy run, though.
I did find that the visor was a great addition to my gear. I won't wear only sunglasses again.

Bricks. Do them.
Hydrate more the day before. I tried, but throat was so unhappy.
Post race
Warm down:

Took the water and electrolyte drink from finish line. Then I walked around to find Jason. Since I did the Sprint instead of Super Sprint like last year, the finish area was pretty crowded by the time I got there. I cooled down in front of misting fan for a minute while we talked about what to do til I could get Silver out of transition. We decided to take my bag back to the truck and walk to Starbucks instead of waiting in line for mimosas. The massage area was full and had waiting list, so a nice walk for coffee sounded good to me. "Coffee" ended up being a venti Java Chip frap. 80+ degrees post race made hot coffee not so appealing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not feeling good with sore throat and less hydration. Need to get some bricks in to get my legs thinking about coming off bike. I just didn't :/

Event comments:

I think they've done a good job getting this race together and marketing to women. It sold out this year. Jason mentioned how interesting it was to watch all the women of different shapes and sizes go by not broken up by male racers. I think it's a good starter race and they have quite a few race options with the addition of the Oly this year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:57 | 750 meters | 02m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/39
Overall: 135/250
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: rectangle out east, back west
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:59 | 12.4 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/39
Overall: 36/250
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Wind around course with more hills and tight turns than any races I did last year.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:32 | 05 kms | 06m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 23/39
Overall: 101/250
Performance: Below average
Course: Out on sandy/pebble trail. Back on rolling hill path
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-05 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course

2014-05-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4991767

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course

"Don't make the strippers chase me" is an awesome statement, especially out of context!!  Great first race, too bad you were feeling a little icky the day before.  That was a great bike speed/time, you quick chica!

2014-05-05 2:32 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice way to start of the season!  Way to go!

2014-05-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Great start to the season!

2014-05-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome start to the season!  
Being chased by wetsuit strippers?  Nice!!

2014-05-05 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Way to go! I know what it's like to run a 5k like that.

2014-05-06 8:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

Good job Erin!

2014-05-06 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nicely done, Erin! A good start to what looks to be a great season for you.

2014-05-06 11:39 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice job! Sounds like a great effort on a great course! I love the stripper quote too!

2014-05-06 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Why is it that when I see "don't make strippers chase me", I think of a CSI episode?? 

I guess one way to make sure you're on the swim course is to run into the markers! 

Great job!!  

2014-05-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

You were awesome!!  Even though you weren't happy with your run, you rocked the bike and the buoys, I mean swim.   Congrats!

2014-05-06 5:41 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando

Way to go!  Great race, especially considering it was the first race of the season, you weren't feeling your best and you were being chased by strippers!  As a bonus - your sighting has really improved

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Esprit de She Tri Naperville

Started by cloudlover
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2013-06-09 3:40 PM cloudlover

Esprit de She

Started by noodle67
Views: 1191 Posts: 2

2013-05-13 11:49 PM Mikeylee

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Sprint Course

Started by riorio
Views: 1414 Posts: 9

2013-05-06 6:06 PM 4agoodlife

Esprit de She Tri Tempe - Super Sprint Course

Started by 4agoodlife
Views: 2192 Posts: 18

2013-05-09 1:28 PM KansasMom

Festival Triathlon Esprit de Montreal - Sprint

Started by marcag
Views: 2053 Posts: 4

2009-09-13 6:51 PM tommytuscan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.