of 2

2014-05-08 12:45 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: The cost of smoking

Originally posted by Left Brain

I agree Aaron.  And I can tell you that I'm part of the problem. (along with many others)  I have always been well insured and couldn't care less what something costs.  All I care about is my out of pocket, which is also very small.  I don't go to the doctor very often because my work provides a yearly comnprehensive physical, to include complete blood work, stress test, etc.  The times I have needed a doctor for sugery, etc. it has nevber occured to me to even look at the bill........I just don't care because that's between the docs, the hospital, and th einsurance company and doesn't concern me at all.  Looking at your post I can see where that is part of the problem in health care costs.....I don't have to be responsible at all for them.

Yeah insurance seems to create this issue, not really sure how to have insurance and still solve the issue. 

I did the same thing once. I worked for the County for 2 years right out of college. They had premiere health insurance, dental, vision, the works. Co-pays were dirt cheap. Many of my co-workers went to the doc at least 2-3 times per month, any little sniffle and they were in there. Some went that often just to be checked up on. I never did use my insurance, until I was about ready to quit.

I was planning on putting in my notice, so before I did my wife and I did the whole gamut. Got our teeth checked, new glasses, went to the doc and got everything checked out, etc. Would not have done that if it wasn't almost free. Even though everything was preventative and probably a good idea since I hadn't been to a doc in 15 years, I still felt a little bad wasting that money.

But back to me menu board thing. If I knew I could get a yearly checkup and it would be $150 or whatever, and that would be it and I would get a clear bill and could just pay it, I would probably do it. But like Meh said, the cost is so murky these days that if you don't have insurance, you just don't go.

My brother in law recently got diagnosed with testicular cancer (he is 28 years old). He was uninsured. My sister lived a medical billing nightmare for a good many months trying to wade through and decipher all the bills. 

Upfront estimates would make the whole thing easier, just like taking your car to the shop. You could google average cost for a certain thing, just like a brake job on your car, then shop around for a doc. Currently any health care procedure is like sending someone who knows nothing about cars to the mechanic, they charge what they want and do what they want because you don't know any better.

2014-05-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Champion
Alabama

A highschool student, an 18 yo, is not ready for med school, even one with high test scores. The undergrad requirements are such that that is where they get their background in biology, chemistry, physiology, and critical thinking. Those things are not acquired in med school. You might be able to cut out all the "excess" stuff like humanities requirements and cut the course of study down to say 6 years but believe it or not that will impact the critical thinking skills that are still needed. In addition to the background requirements that is where people are weeded out who wouldn't be able to hack it in med school for a variety of reasons. Were that people were like toasters and we could just have our DRs be mechanics but it is not so. Humans are far more complex to diagnose and treat than that.

You are generalizing. While some (or even many) would not be able to handle it, many WOULD be able to handle it. You'd probably have a higher number of wash-outs having not gone thru the 4 year undergrad vetting process but so what?! There are students who come out of HS AP classes that know more chemistry than some with a 4 year degree and 2 or 3 college chemistry classes level classes. The point is, someone with 140 IQ that make a perfect 35 on his ACT and can pass the MCAT in the top 95% still cannot go to medical school!
2014-05-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Originally posted by Rogillio

A highschool student, an 18 yo, is not ready for med school, even one with high test scores. The undergrad requirements are such that that is where they get their background in biology, chemistry, physiology, and critical thinking. Those things are not acquired in med school. You might be able to cut out all the "excess" stuff like humanities requirements and cut the course of study down to say 6 years but believe it or not that will impact the critical thinking skills that are still needed. In addition to the background requirements that is where people are weeded out who wouldn't be able to hack it in med school for a variety of reasons. Were that people were like toasters and we could just have our DRs be mechanics but it is not so. Humans are far more complex to diagnose and treat than that.

You are generalizing. While some (or even many) would not be able to handle it, many WOULD be able to handle it. You'd probably have a higher number of wash-outs having not gone thru the 4 year undergrad vetting process but so what?! There are students who come out of HS AP classes that know more chemistry than some with a 4 year degree and 2 or 3 college chemistry classes level classes. The point is, someone with 140 IQ that make a perfect 35 on his ACT and can pass the MCAT in the top 95% still cannot go to medical school!

And you are talking about very few kids who would be prepped both with the necessary science requirements, AP courses or not, and the emotional maturity. That's like saying why can't kids just skip undergrad work and just go straight to grad school.
2014-05-08 3:25 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by Aarondb4

An issue that stands out to me is personal responsibility and with that malpractice insurance.

Malpractice insurance is a large expense for physicians, limits on lawsuits would help to reduce some of that cost and risk.

The biggest issue to me is people don't take responsibility for themselves and their decisions. An ideal hospital or doctors office to me would have a menu board out front with given costs for each thing. If I have a cold and think a doc can help I can look at the board and decide based on cost what is worth having done. 

Currently all of the responsibility for one's own person is placed squarely on the doctors shoulders. So they have to run every test and try every treatment there is because the patient does not want to make any decisions and they are not concerned about the cost. People are programmed to just go to the doc for any little thing, then the doc is pressured to fix it by any test or means possible.

My wife was born with a brain tumor that went undiagnosed until she was 12 when a dermatologist finally figured it out and the tumor was removed. She spent her entire childhood in the doc office getting every test there was. She is programmed to go to the doc for every little thing. It wasn't until she was on her own and had a not so Cadillac health plan that I was able to convince her to not go for a cold. She got a cold, went to the doc, he said she "had the crud, go home and sleep" then charged her $300 out of pocket. 

Since that incident (5 years ago) she has been twice, and she went in knowing what she needed and negotiating to get that at the lowest price possible. She did not go in as a fiscally unaware sheep like so many tend to do.

I recently had a medical issue that she wanted me to see a doc for. I chose not to because I don't have any insurance and the cost is almost impossible to determine upfront. If there was a menu board and I could choose which tests or advice I was willing to pay for I would have considered it. But I am not going to just walk in with a blank check and say do whatever you want doc. Instead I decided to wait and see, and things worked out on their own. Perhaps I am lucky but I have only been to the doc for broken bones. Now of course serious terminal illness would be different, but the health care industry is heavily abused by many IMO.

Small example of that, I was having severe chest pains (later determined to be a muscle spasm) and my then GF got freaked out and begged me to go to the ER. I sat in the waiting room for 3 hours and saw every little scratch and tummy ache in the city come through the door. I saw three different people who had sunburns and brought their whole families in with them to have the sunburn treated. It was ridiculous!  

Anyway, I think personal responsibility for decisions about one's person would go a long way to making a person realize the cost, limits on lawsuits of malpractice because a doc didn't do every test in the book would help. 

I wish they would just tell you the cost and let you decide if you want it or not. I TRIED that in the emergency room last year. I clearly told them I needed to know the cost of EVERYTHING they were doing, or else I didn't want them doing it. I didn't want to end up with a bill I couldn't pay and thus go to collections. 

I was mis-quoted the cost of my procedure, because they didn't actually call my insurance company to find out about my deductible. Instead of being charged $800 as I was quoted, I was charged $1500 out of pocket. Almost twice as much. Thanks @ssholes. 

This is why people don't pay for medical services. When you go in blind and then get a bill you weren't expecting, how is that fair to the consumer? But yet the consumer gets his/her credit dinged for it. BTW I paid the bill with my income tax return. 

Now days I don't go to the Dr. unless I absolutely HAVE to. It's a waste of time and money 90% of the time. Then if I do go, I never know if I'll get some bill after the fact charging me for something insurance didn't cover. 

Anyways, back on topic. I'm not sure how I feel about smokers getting charged more. Drinking does your body harm too. Should someone who has X ounces of alcohol per day/week/month pay more too? My grandmother smoked her entire life. She didn't have any major health issues or die from it. Dementia took her in the end. Not smoking. To say a smoker WILL have more health issues isn't really accurate or always true. Obese people are at a high risk for health issues too... why not charge them more? Where is the line drawn? 

2014-05-08 3:58 PM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by trinnas

And you are talking about very few kids who would be prepped both with the necessary science requirements, AP courses or not, and the emotional maturity. That's like saying why can't kids just skip undergrad work and just go straight to grad school.

LOL. 21 million students in college in the US and if only 5% of them were qualified that is still 1 million students!

It is my opinion that 4 years of medical school plus 2 or 3 years of medical school is more than enough! I would have no problem at all going to a bright young doctor who skipped 4 years getting an undergraduate degree in chemistry or life sciences and 'only' had 8 years of school and training. Again, my opion, but I think it's a exclusive club and the bar is set needlessly high to keep the club small and the salaries high.

2014-05-08 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

LOL. 21 million students in college in the US and if only 5% of them were qualified that is still 1 million students!

It is my opinion that 4 years of medical school plus 2 or 3 years of medical school is more than enough! I would have no problem at all going to a bright young doctor who skipped 4 years getting an undergraduate degree in chemistry or life sciences and 'only' had 8 years of school and training. Again, my opion, but I think it's a exclusive club and the bar is set needlessly high to keep the club small and the salaries high.

And if you think even a small fraction of those kids want to go through the rigors of medical school not to mention the cost, you're kidding yourself. But lets say for the sake of argument they are. Then by all means sure lets throw out all the excess baggage of English and humanities and all those other silly undergraduate requirements and only teach them how to do tonsillectomies and such. I mean the critical thinking and analysis skills they learn in those classes are worthless to a toaster mechanic... Err .. I mean a doctor.
You are still talking about the same amount of time and cost. You have made no substantive changes to either of those factors considering most people who plan to go to Med school take a Pre-Med course of study in their undergraduate work. All you've really done is change the name around a bit and set a lot of kids up for failure and huge student loan costs.

2014-05-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

LOL. 21 million students in college in the US and if only 5% of them were qualified that is still 1 million students! It is my opinion that 4 years of medical school plus 2 or 3 years of medical school is more than enough! I would have no problem at all going to a bright young doctor who skipped 4 years getting an undergraduate degree in chemistry or life sciences and 'only' had 8 years of school and training. Again, my opion, but I think it's a exclusive club and the bar is set needlessly high to keep the club small and the salaries high.
And if you think even a small fraction of those kids want to go through the rigors of medical school not to mention the cost, you're kidding yourself. But lets say for the sake of argument they are. Then by all means sure lets throw out all the excess baggage of English and humanities and all those other silly undergraduate requirements and only teach them how to do tonsillectomies and such. I mean the critical thinking and analysis skills they learn in those classes are worthless to a toaster mechanic... Err .. I mean a doctor. You are still talking about the same amount of time and cost. You have made no substantive changes to either of those factors considering most people who plan to go to Med school take a Pre-Med course of study in their undergraduate work. All you've really done is change the name around a bit and set a lot of kids up for failure and huge student loan costs.

I had a little less than one semester of pre-med......what ails you?

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-08 6:22 PM
2014-05-08 8:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Your opinion might not be in the majority. Most people want their physicians to be a few more years removed from high school I got my medical degree in 1997 and have been an attending physician since 2001 and I would estimate that 40% of my patients tell me that I am too young to be a doctor. I look at some of the youthful faces on our new physicians and I understand what they were/are talking about (and it makes me feel old).

I was intellectually ready to be practicing independently in 2001 but the emotional "seasoning" that I got in my first few years of practice were a big help to me. If you would have asked me if I was ready for medical school after my sophomore year of college I would have said yes. In retrospect, I wish I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get there. A fifth year of college would have been pretty fun.

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-05-08 8:54 PM
2014-05-08 9:44 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Your opinion might not be in the majority. Most people want their physicians to be a few more years removed from high school I got my medical degree in 1997 and have been an attending physician since 2001 and I would estimate that 40% of my patients tell me that I am too young to be a doctor. I look at some of the youthful faces on our new physicians and I understand what they were/are talking about (and it makes me feel old).

I was intellectually ready to be practicing independently in 2001 but the emotional "seasoning" that I got in my first few years of practice were a big help to me. If you would have asked me if I was ready for medical school after my sophomore year of college I would have said yes. In retrospect, I wish I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get there. A fifth year of college would have been pretty fun.

That culture would change if the AMA didn't require 12 years of schooling. I would much prefer a young computer-literate doctor who knows how to use computers to help diagnose and treat than some old fart that hasn't been to school in 30 years.

IMO, most doctors just treat colds....
2014-05-08 9:48 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

LOL. 21 million students in college in the US and if only 5% of them were qualified that is still 1 million students! It is my opinion that 4 years of medical school plus 2 or 3 years of medical school is more than enough! I would have no problem at all going to a bright young doctor who skipped 4 years getting an undergraduate degree in chemistry or life sciences and 'only' had 8 years of school and training. Again, my opion, but I think it's a exclusive club and the bar is set needlessly high to keep the club small and the salaries high.
And if you think even a small fraction of those kids want to go through the rigors of medical school not to mention the cost, you're kidding yourself. But lets say for the sake of argument they are. Then by all means sure lets throw out all the excess baggage of English and humanities and all those other silly undergraduate requirements and only teach them how to do tonsillectomies and such. I mean the critical thinking and analysis skills they learn in those classes are worthless to a toaster mechanic... Err .. I mean a doctor. You are still talking about the same amount of time and cost. You have made no substantive changes to either of those factors considering most people who plan to go to Med school take a Pre-Med course of study in their undergraduate work. All you've really done is change the name around a bit and set a lot of kids up for failure and huge student loan costs.

If you can use google, you can diagnose and treat 99% of what slid most people.
2014-05-08 11:06 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

If you can use google, you can diagnose and treat 99% of what slid most people.

-------------------------/----------------

I love when the guys come in who googled "how to remove your own appendix." Makes for lots of fun in the OR.

Not that there isn't a lot of good, and very accurate information out there.

If you are going to your doctor for a common cold then you are likely part of the problem when it comes to the costs of health care.

2014-05-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Alabama

If you are going to your doctor for a common cold then you are likely part of the problem when it comes to the costs of health care.

Amen to that! Unless I can't stop the bleeding or have a broken bone, I don't go to the doctor. I think our society has gotten soft and we expect every sniffle to be treated chemically. Unfortunately, doctors are partly to blame for prescibting drugs such as antibiotics when someone comes in with a cold.
2014-05-09 9:42 AM

Veteran

Amen to that! Unless I can't stop the bleeding or have a broken bone, I don't go to the doctor. I think our society has gotten soft and we expect every sniffle to be treated chemically. Unfortunately, doctors are partly to blame for prescibting drugs such as antibiotics when someone comes in with a cold.

I hear a second Amen to that.

When I lived outside the U.S. mainland, our insurance company had decent rates and low co-pays, BUT if you did not use the insurance, you received refunds on your premium. It was only $350, but a whole lot of people decided that cold, or tummy ache, or stubbed toe probably wasn't worth that $350 I could get back if I sucked it up.
2014-05-09 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Was much better in the good old days when it was a 5 mile run to "go fetch Doc Baker"!

Agree on the over use of anti-biotics. I have never had one and don't intend to unless things get really ugly. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-05-09 10:56 AM
2014-05-09 11:24 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Was much better in the good old days when it was a 5 mile run to "go fetch Doc Baker"!

Agree on the over use of anti-biotics. I have never had one and don't intend to unless things get really ugly. 

Our children have never had antibiotics and they are rarely sick, even when their school gets wiped out with a virus or infection or whatever.  I have no idea what one has to do with the other, but medication is never looked at as an answer in our house.

2014-05-09 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Our children have never had antibiotics and they are rarely sick, even when their school gets wiped out with a virus or infection or whatever.  I have no idea what one has to do with the other, but medication is never looked at as an answer in our house.

antibiotics won't help a virus anyway....

and who jacked up the formatting in here?!?!

Edited by mehaner 2014-05-09 11:30 AM

2014-05-09 12:13 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mehaner

I.

antibiotics won't help a virus anyway....

and who jacked up the formatting in here?!?!

IKR!?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The cost of smoking Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

FRANCE goes smoke free

Started by autumn
Views: 751 Posts: 23

2006-11-17 2:52 PM betsy

No smoking in condo Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 1292 Posts: 29

2006-11-17 12:24 PM GulfCoastSwimmer

Cold laser therapy for smoking

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 421 Posts: 1

2006-06-16 10:02 AM bmacmanus

Thank you For Smoking

Started by rbschlesinger
Views: 866 Posts: 10

2006-04-23 8:00 AM JBrashear

Anti-Smoking Snob? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by AlBearAngel
Views: 5723 Posts: 105

2005-06-01 7:35 AM taricha
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 3
Triathlon can cure smoking and drinking. Listen as to how taking up the multisport lifestyle has turned Dream Chaser's life around.

date : January 21, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Monty has kicked the habit and has been smoke-free for 5 years. Here's a discussion on how it has changed his life.
date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are organic products worth the extra cost? In terms of nutrition, some research suggests organic foods may have slightly more minerals and antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts.