General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Chicago ITU Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-07 8:37 PM

Subject: Question about Chicago ITU
So I'm pretty new to the sport, but the Chicago ITU Sprint triathlon seems like a pretty awesome experience that I'd love to do. So my question is, would it be a bad idea to sign up for this? Is this just for the pros and super serious triathletes who train specifically for this race, or can amateurs sign up too in the Age Group Registration? I just want to know what I'd be getting myself into; I don't want to come in like an hour behind everyone

-Stephen

2014-05-08 8:52 AM
in reply to: Jansport93

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Question about Chicago ITU
you might come in an hour behind me but I will probably start 4 hours ahead of you. Morning is for amateurs and afternoon is for the pros. The bike course looks kinda scary but it is once in a lifetime chance to experience an ITU race most likely.
2014-05-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: Jansport93

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I'm on the fence about what to say here, so I'll split the difference and give both positions.

If you see "age group" registration, feel free to throw your hat in. If they had a qualifier restriction, they would say so. So, on that aspect, go for it. As others have said, it's probably not going to come around here often, so if you like, use it as an opportunity to scratch it off your bucket list.

On the other hand, about ITU specifically, looking at the course, I personally am glad I didn't sign up because I think it's going to be a debacle. A ride on Lower Wacker with multiple U-turns is not my idea of fun and likely a precursor to carbon repair and medical attention. My bike skills are decent, but I have a fear that lots of others aren't.

Fairly or unfairly, it also reminds me of the Chicago triathlon - large number of participants, lots going on, and lots of "hurry up and wait." Especially for a first or second triathlon, you'll probably have a lot more fun at a local or smaller race (Pleasant Prairie, Big Foot, Twin Lakes, Crystal Lake, or any of the dozens of other events in the area), instead of the massive show at ITU or Chicago Triathlon.

2014-05-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon I'm on the fence about what to say here, so I'll split the difference and give both positions. If you see "age group" registration, feel free to throw your hat in. If they had a qualifier restriction, they would say so. So, on that aspect, go for it. As others have said, it's probably not going to come around here often, so if you like, use it as an opportunity to scratch it off your bucket list. On the other hand, about ITU specifically, looking at the course, I personally am glad I didn't sign up because I think it's going to be a debacle. A ride on Lower Wacker with multiple U-turns is not my idea of fun and likely a precursor to carbon repair and medical attention. My bike skills are decent, but I have a fear that lots of others aren't. Fairly or unfairly, it also reminds me of the Chicago triathlon - large number of participants, lots going on, and lots of "hurry up and wait." Especially for a first or second triathlon, you'll probably have a lot more fun at a local or smaller race (Pleasant Prairie, Big Foot, Twin Lakes, Crystal Lake, or any of the dozens of other events in the area), instead of the massive show at ITU or Chicago Triathlon.

Few more things to add in and make it an interesting conversation.

1. The multiple U-turns is nothing new in ITU.  I looked at London's race last year and it was 5 laps with 2 u-turns per lap, so only 2 less than here in Chicago.  And Auckland was the same way.  It isn't meant to be like a normal race.  It is meant to be different.  That being said, I do NOT like going underground, but it is what it is and I'm going to make the best of it.

2. I'm pretty confident that this will not be nearly as large as the debacle that is the Chicago Triathlon.  That thing has something like 8000 participants.  I thought I read somewhere that this is limited to ~3500-4000 max and possible less than that.  So I don't think there will be quite as much congestion nor waiting.  Then again, I could be wrong.

I'm doing it, only because it is hometown and will wrap up 3 weekends of back to back racing.  That and my dad is coming to town to watch.  

ETA: if this will be your first race, I would strongly recommend NOT doing it.  Not because of the competition, but because of the course.  If you do not have good bike handling skills it can be a recipe for disaster.

Edited by crowny2 2014-05-08 11:17 AM
2014-05-08 7:49 PM
in reply to: crowny2

New user
Peoria
I say just do it as it is likely to be a unique experience that you will never get a chance to do again.
2014-05-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: dspursusa

User image

Champion
Chicago
I did the ITU in London and it was CROWDED. London streets are narrower so Chicago shouldn't be as bad, but you still better have your head on a swivel, and don't take your bike with you when you look or you're liable to take out some peoples. Specifically, there was a person in front of me going about 18, I was doing about 20 and the guy approaching was doing about 25. He kept screaming for me to move but there was nowhere for me to go -- the person in front of me and several people next to me had me boxed in, and he's screaming his head off at me. Finally I told him to eff off and go eff himself and eff you buddy and such -- finally the person in front of me cleared, I got around them and cleared and he came up next to me, still screaming. I almost punched him! Anyway, that's how it is -- wheel to wheel racing. Fun and exciting yet scary as heckfire all at the same time.

2014-05-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4993237

User image

Champion
Tony

Did you do the Oly or the Sprint?

From what I can see, this course is slightly longer than London so hopefully it won't be as cramped.
2014-05-15 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by crowny2

Tony

From what I can see, this course is slightly longer than London so hopefully it won't be as cramped.

each lap having 3 turn around over 6 miles might make it cramped. If they use all 4 lanes it might not be too bad though. Chicago tri is tight but not too bad either. I am guessing they will have have the people there.
2014-05-15 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by crowny2

Tony

Oly ... the run was pretty empty. And nobody inthe finisher's chute. I can't help but wonder if I was DFL that day.
2014-05-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by crowny2 Tony Did you do the Oly or the Sprint? From what I can see, this course is slightly longer than London so hopefully it won't be as cramped.
Oly ... the run was pretty empty. And nobody inthe finisher's chute. I can't help but wonder if I was DFL that day.

LOL!  I doubt that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Chicago ITU Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago ITU Pages: 1 2 3

Started by dspursusa
Views: 4540 Posts: 65

2014-07-21 4:10 PM jcwise

Chicago to start hosting ITU Triathlons starting in 2014

Started by FurnaceM3
Views: 2269 Posts: 9

2013-06-18 8:58 AM chirunner134

Chicago Marathon Question

Started by miami9296
Views: 1301 Posts: 7

2011-06-20 9:04 PM chirunner134

Question for those in an around Evanston, N. Chicago

Started by GrantGannon
Views: 902 Posts: 2

2007-07-26 1:17 PM brick711

Question for the Chicago Folks..

Started by JTK
Views: 925 Posts: 4

2005-11-08 4:37 PM Mark6715
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : December 14, 2004
author : Team BT
Q&A with Siri Lagley, winner of the ITU President’s Cup racing series two years in a row and coach of Susan Williams, US Athens triathlete.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"