General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What have you done to get a workout in? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
Subject: RE: What have you done to get a workout in?
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Hmmm....I am not really that compulsive about training compared to a lot of people, but I don't give up my workouts, esp. my runs, without a fight. Top ones I can remember from 35 years of running and lots of swimming---

*Once I did two runs in one day--on two different continents, just to say I did it. It involved a pretty early AM run in China, and lots of coffee before a pre-dinner run back home in the US.

This is awesome! I would have to try this if I have the chance just to say I did which is a great reason.

Some inspiring responses in this thread. I like the creative uses for work time!

2014-05-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: Mtnwesttri

Did a 15 mile run on a crappy hotel treadmill while training for my IM. No real good run routes outside due to traffic/congestion/etc.

Have scheduled training runs to get home after dropping my 12-year old car off at the mechanic (or ran from home to the mechanic to get the car after it was fixed). This isn't really too "out there," however.

I was in a competition to do at least one 130 mile ride each month. On the last weekend of the month, after ten months in, a family commitment came up so I started the ride at 2am so I could be done and ready by noon. 8:30 total time from start to finish, maybe 7:30 riding time.
2014-05-08 4:28 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The infamous Day 7 of Tour of Sufferlandria this year had a back to back stage featuring Angels and The Hunted.  I noticed that this stage fell on a Friday and realized that my SO probably wouldn't like hearing that we couldn't go out Friday night because I had two hours of riding on the trainer to do.

So I decided to shift my ride times from the afternoon to the morning for the entire week.  I took time to select the stage where moving from afternoon to the morning would suck the least, which ended up being Tuesday.  I got up and suffered on the trainer first thing in the morning for the rest of the week, so that I would be available to go out on Friday night.

2014-05-08 6:29 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Denver, Colorado
When on a business trip in Woodcliff Lakes NJ, i went on 3-4 hours of sleep for a 4 days in a row. Worked 12 hours a day and i was close enough to NJ, PA, NY, & CT with 1-2 hrs drive so i drove to each state in my rental car just to run in a different state & central park NY... i have never been to these states other than for these runs!
2014-05-08 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4993259

Ran up and down my .18 mile street in the snow after my mom said the street/sidewalk was to dangerous just to get in 3 miles
2014-05-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
17 Miles in 0.53 mile loops around the perimeter of the hospital that I was "on call" for. I always figure this is kosher because I am never more than about 50 meters from a hospital door and can be back in and available faster than I could get there from the cafeteria.......

I always bring my bike and trainer and set it up in the call room in the hospital when I do over night call shifts. Sometimes when I am there on weekends I won't get called for anything for 24 straight hours. Strange, huh? I have done up to five hours on the trainer on a Saturday. Ouch. But good use of my time. Closest I will ever be to be a professional triathlete, getting paid to train.

Years ago I had the flu, max temp of 103 F. I felt like I was going to die. But for some reason my fever-addled brain thought I should get in a workout. My wife went out and I snuck flown in the basement and did 45 minutes on the elliptical. Not my smartest moment. Of course it helped cement my belief that training while sick us actually a good thing, but that is a topic for another thread.

2014-05-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Ran my first ever marathon less than 4 weeks after being diagnosed with Pneumonia.  I starting feeling like crap on Friday and went to the doctor on Saturday because I felt like I was dying.  Had fluid in my lungs and a 104 deg fever.  Took the rest of Saturday off and took a relax day on Sunday to get my prescriptions filled.  Went back to training the following Monday for my track workout/speed work.

Wife was not very thrilled I did the Marathon but I told her I had already paid and did not want to waste the entry fee money.

2014-05-08 8:14 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by wannabefaster 17 Miles in 0.53 mile loops around the perimeter of the hospital that I was "on call" for. I always figure this is kosher because I am never more than about 50 meters from a hospital door and can be back in and available faster than I could get there from the cafeteria....... I always bring my bike and trainer and set it up in the call room in the hospital when I do over night call shifts. Sometimes when I am there on weekends I won't get called for anything for 24 straight hours. Strange, huh? I have done up to five hours on the trainer on a Saturday. Ouch. But good use of my time. Closest I will ever be to be a professional triathlete, getting paid to train. Years ago I had the flu, max temp of 103 F. I felt like I was going to die. But for some reason my fever-addled brain thought I should get in a workout. My wife went out and I snuck flown in the basement and did 45 minutes on the elliptical. Not my smartest moment. Of course it helped cement my belief that training while sick us actually a good thing, but that is a topic for another thread.

Hey it came from a Doctor, I am going to tell my wife that when I get sick she needs to leave me alone and let me go run instead of sleeping....

2014-05-08 8:32 PM
in reply to: TriGuy05

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by TriGuy05

Originally posted by wannabefaster 17 Miles in 0.53 mile loops around the perimeter of the hospital that I was "on call" for. I always figure this is kosher because I am never more than about 50 meters from a hospital door and can be back in and available faster than I could get there from the cafeteria....... I always bring my bike and trainer and set it up in the call room in the hospital when I do over night call shifts. Sometimes when I am there on weekends I won't get called for anything for 24 straight hours. Strange, huh? I have done up to five hours on the trainer on a Saturday. Ouch. But good use of my time. Closest I will ever be to be a professional triathlete, getting paid to train. Years ago I had the flu, max temp of 103 F. I felt like I was going to die. But for some reason my fever-addled brain thought I should get in a workout. My wife went out and I snuck flown in the basement and did 45 minutes on the elliptical. Not my smartest moment. Of course it helped cement my belief that training while sick us actually a good thing, but that is a topic for another thread.

Hey it came from a Doctor, I am going to tell my wife that when I get sick she needs to leave me alone and let me go run instead of sleeping....

I am a huge, huge fan of training while sick. I know lots of people advise against it but I always train as hard as my body will let me when I am under the weather. But like I said, a topic for another thread. A thread will come up sooner or later and I will post the same thing in opposition the the majority opinion.....
2014-05-08 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4993728

User image

Nothing extreme, but:
On biz trip to New Zealand, had to wait until after a business dinner to run. Was close to midnight and I had only brought shorts and singlet, had forgotten they have opposite seasons to north of equator. 12 degrees celcius felt like minus but I was hell bent on sticking to my HIM schedule.

After 9 months of work to close a deal my CEO had flown in from Europe to sign the contract. Asked me out for dinner to celebrate. I declined honestly stating I had to run. Not sure how good that was for my career.

On honeymoon to US, just after arriving we realized there was LA Rock'n Roll half marathon the next day. Jet lagged and tired we rushed to sign up and blew our carefully planned agenda. Also ran on the Las Vegas Strip and every city we visited. Just to say we did it
2014-05-08 9:49 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
Worst I've done was run from HNL airport to the enterprise rental car place that was 8 miles away.... all while my wife waited at the airport... Oh, and I saved about $300 on rental car fees by not renting at the airport

2014-05-09 12:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
1. Ran more than a 5k in a regular bra because I forgot to pack my sport bra.
2. Mountain biked for 19 miles in running shorts because i forgot to pack my bike shorts.
3. Ran and biked without socks, which I can't stand because...
4. Asked for shorter hours in my work day for a month to get all my training in.
5. Dropped my car off for repairs and ran 9 miles home (Deployed husband makes you creative).
6. Ran 20 miles on a .5 mile strip of road. Down and back, down and back, down and back... (limited time and safe running courses make you desperate)

Edited by Blanda 2014-05-09 12:05 AM
2014-05-09 6:57 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Blanda 1. Ran more than a 5k in a regular bra because I forgot to pack my sport bra. 2. Mountain biked for 19 miles in running shorts because i forgot to pack my bike shorts. 3. Ran and biked without socks, which I can't stand because... 4. Asked for shorter hours in my work day for a month to get all my training in. 5. Dropped my car off for repairs and ran 9 miles home (Deployed husband makes you creative). 6. Ran 20 miles on a .5 mile strip of road. Down and back, down and back, down and back... (limited time and safe running courses make you desperate)

FORGET THAT!!!  That might be worse than a friend doing his 20 mile run on a treadmill the whole time.

2014-05-09 12:59 PM

I have ran 14 miles in a rain/snow storm between 10:30 and 1:00 am.... After a 3.5 hour trainer ride. I have a bad habit of stacking endurance days due to other commitments.

I pack my bike and trainer on any business trip that is is feasible.

I have given up on trying to swim in a hotel pool. I always search for a lap pool in towns I will be working in. I travel ~90% of the time.

I also am doing an IM traing plan around a job that averages 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week.

Work, train, Sleep. Eating is optional.
2014-05-09 10:33 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Ran a 5 mile loop around our hotel in Sonoma, California...after a day of wine tasting. My husband took a nap, and I thought I would get a workout in. When I realized that training while buzzed was NOT the best idea.
2014-05-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I recall a similar run downhill from way above Lake Berryessa, right after going wine-tasting with Mom shortly after turning 21. Wine-tasting, running, and heat are NOT a good combo!

2014-05-10 6:10 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by TriGuy05

Originally posted by Blanda 1. Ran more than a 5k in a regular bra because I forgot to pack my sport bra. 2. Mountain biked for 19 miles in running shorts because i forgot to pack my bike shorts. 3. Ran and biked without socks, which I can't stand because... 4. Asked for shorter hours in my work day for a month to get all my training in. 5. Dropped my car off for repairs and ran 9 miles home (Deployed husband makes you creative). 6. Ran 20 miles on a .5 mile strip of road. Down and back, down and back, down and back... (limited time and safe running courses make you desperate)

FORGET THAT!!!  That might be worse than a friend doing his 20 mile run on a treadmill the whole time.

It sucked.
2014-05-10 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleaning and organizing felt on the bottom of my priorities, way below working out and sleeping. In a result, my apartment is always messy and disorganized. It sucks because I love great, clean and organized places, but there are just not enough hours during the day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What have you done to get a workout in? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Having a hard time getting motivated, again

Started by brreems
Views: 2348 Posts: 24

2012-07-06 2:11 PM Meulen

Having a hard time getting it up...

Started by GoFaster
Views: 1927 Posts: 18

2010-06-01 1:00 PM triarcher

getting a bike fitting done

Started by rod23
Views: 875 Posts: 3

2010-02-18 9:37 AM jgerbodegrant

Tips for having fun in the pool, and wouldn't ya know it - getting in a good swim workout

Started by condorman
Views: 839 Posts: 8

2008-09-22 4:31 PM Donto

Getting chills after workout

Started by mazdageek
Views: 2433 Posts: 7

2006-12-02 9:51 PM DarrellC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!
date : February 18, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Getting ready for a long workout? Here are some nutritional guidelines on how best to fuel your body in preparation for that long workout.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"