New York Road Runners
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 17s
Overall Rank = 445/5707
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/430
Pre-race routine:

Jogged down to the start, dropped off my gear, got in line.
Event warmup:

Did a couple hamstring stretches in the corrals.
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Here it is broken down for you: how to run Mirjam's 4-mile PR...

1. Get to the VERY front of your corral, alternately cursing and envying the people in the 0-999 bibs in front of you as you wait for the race to start.
2. Try to start out too fast, but get foiled by some of the not-so-fast-after-all 0-999 bib people (silently curse them some more) -- Mile 1: 7:07
3. Pick up the pace. See a guy in front of you wearing the words "Sorry I just passed you" on the back of his T-shirt. Allow your moral outrage over jerky T-shirts at races to spur you on. Pass him. Mile 2: 6:55
4. Charge up the Harlem Hills. Let the heat get to you, get that terrible tingly hot/cold feeling down your back and consider if you're ok with puking for the first time ever during a race.
5. Decide you are not. Dial it back. Mile 3: 7:15
6. Get pissed off about the last split time and calculate how much puke half a cup of water and a GU gel could honestly produce. Decide it's really not that much. Re-f'ing-commit to the pace.
7. Watch some tiny girl sprint past you like it ain't no thang. Determine she has acceptable pace booty. Try to hang on. Mile 4: 7:00.

Final result: 28:17 -- 7:04 min/mile average and 8th in my age group! I actually made the "Award Winners" list (I don't think I win anything except the "permanent results on the Internet" thing -- which just totally made my day!)

This is also faster than the pace at which I did my first -- and only legit/measured/timed -- 5K race...

What would you do differently?:

All in all, a good race, a bit hot and I am totally coasting off of marathon training here,as I've done practically zero running since April 21st. I should probably actually try to train for a solid short distance PR. McMillan seems to think I'm a massive wimp and should be doing solid sub-7's on these.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to my gear bag, walked back up to Dan's apartment. Did not do nearly enough stretching.

Event comments:

This is a great race, especially for people with kids -- it's held on Japan Day in NYC, so lots of activities after the race to keep everyone happy -- face painting, music, food. There's even a kids race.

Last updated: 2014-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:17 | 04 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/430
Overall: 445/5707
Performance: Good
Course: The course is the four-mile Central Park "inner loop." Mile 1: Start on East Drive near East 68th Street and run north, ascending Cat Hill. Mile 2: Continue north and and pass Engineers' Gate (East 90th Street). Turn left onto the 102nd Street Transverse. Mile 3: Turn left on West Drive and run south through a series of three rolling hills as you pass the Reservoir on your left. Mile 4: Enjoy a downhill, then a flat section. Turn left onto the 72nd Street Transverse and finish just west of Bethesda Terrace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-12 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: NYRR Japan 4 Mile Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Japan 4 Mile Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NYRR Holiday 4-Mile

Started by LazyMarathoner
Views: 1927 Posts: 13

2008-12-16 1:55 AM eurydice79

NYRR Holiday 4-Mile

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 1494 Posts: 5

2008-12-15 10:32 AM mburkhart

NYRR Al Gordon Snowflake 4-Mile

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2008-02-23 10:34 AM swishyskirt

Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run

Started by benton4
Views: 1449 Posts: 1

2007-02-08 10:04 PM benton4

Hog Wild 5-Mile Run & 1-Mile Fun Run

Started by DarrellC
Views: 1204 Posts: 1

2007-02-03 10:31 PM DarrellC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.