General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sore hamstring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-14 12:05 AM

Shanghai, China, Unknown
Subject: sore hamstring
Hello,
I bought a new tri bike about 6 weeks ago (Specialized Shiv Elite) and noticed my left hamstring continues to get sore every time I ride. At first, I thought it might be due to my legs getting adjusted to the new bike, but this shouldn't be the case after 6 weeks. In fact, the hamstring seems to be getting sorer as time goes by

A little more information: I'm pretty new to biking; I usually ride 3 times a week, flat terrain, 1 to 3 hrs each ride; I'm in decent shape, 6' and 185lbs; Age = 40; no hamstring problem when swimming or running; I rarely stretch and have never been a particularly limber guy; I got a bike fit when I bought the bike and other than the hamstring the bike feels comfortable.

I'm not sure if it is related to the bike fit, an unnoticed injury that occurred around the same time, or something else. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

2014-05-14 6:55 AM
in reply to: robdmac167

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: sore hamstring
where does it hurt? Back of the knee?
2014-05-14 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4995860

Shanghai, China, Unknown
More in the middle area of my hamstring, and only on my left leg.
2014-05-14 7:28 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by robdmac167

More in the middle area of my hamstring, and only on my left leg.

I would venture to guess that you are "building" muscle. I will assume you are using clipless pedals, and if you are new to clipless you are most likely not used to recruiting your hamstrings and glutes in the whole motion.
2014-05-14 11:14 AM

User image

Do you favor the left leg over the right? Have you ever done any single leg drills to see if there are any imbalances? Personally I have a tendency to hammer when I make a new bike purchase or get it back from a tune up, and a new bike needs some riding time and normally a follow up adjustment. Could also just be a lack of proper warm up.
2014-05-14 7:28 PM
in reply to: CB3

Shanghai, China, Unknown
Thanks for the responses.

I've never done single leg drills (not even sure what they are)... I pretty much get out there and start riding. I usually use heart rate as my guide to push harder or ease up, normally I stay in Z2.

I seem to always notice the tightness in my hamstring ~30 minutes into the ride.

As for the muscle building theory... that would be nice, I just want to make sure I am not going down the path to injury.

Rob

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sore hamstring Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sore Hamstring

Started by axelle
Views: 1243 Posts: 3

2013-07-03 12:08 PM ligersandtions

Running: How sore is TOO sore?

Started by mcstrangelove
Views: 2433 Posts: 21

2010-10-09 6:43 AM newbz

Hurt, too sore, or just the right amount of sore..I need your wisdom

Started by pga_mike
Views: 961 Posts: 2

2009-10-07 8:37 PM jvanis

How sore it too sore?

Started by la_guerita
Views: 1516 Posts: 20

2006-02-10 6:54 PM element

Sore Hamstrings

Started by rock8888
Views: 3033 Posts: 9

2005-07-06 3:55 PM madeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 17, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.

date : April 14, 2010
comments : 1
I have been having a right hamstring issue over the last four weeks or so. I'm pretty sure I just pulled it pretty good but would like some advice. How long does it take for it to completely heal?
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : April 11, 2007
comments : 1
This is a “hip-butt” injury, which describes the location of the insertion of the hamstring tendon at the base of the pelvis on the ischial tuberosity very well. They are difficult to treat.
date : January 29, 2006
Apparently I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and will start PT next week. Are there drills/ strokes that I can do that won't keep my shoulder from healing?

date : January 1, 2006
I have a marathon scheduled for Dec. 4th but I woke up this morning and the tendon on the back of my leg (behind the Knee) is really sore.
date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.

date : July 17, 2005
Yesterday I was a little sore, and today, whenever I bend over to pick something up, standing up again hurts badly. Have I done some sort of permanent damage? What can I do to rehab this area?