BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2014-05-14 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Consistency Equals Success
GROUP FOCUS: Triathlon's of all distance with a strong focus on consistency in training. Without consistent training across all disciplines your potential will not be met.

NAME: Trisuppo / Mitch

STORY: Like everyone else - I am busy. Between a wife, three girls (ages 15, 11 & 4), a house, a job and a dog I feeling like I'm running on fumes a lot. Endurance sports have become my outlet that is supposed to help me maintain my sanity.

I got into triathlons about 6 years ago after getting 20+ pounds overweight and realizing that there were triathlons that weren't Ironman distance. My first love before triathlons was cycling - and I absolutely hated running. I have since become an avid runner and feed off of the runner's high. My wife can tell when I haven't run for a few days. I'm trying to embrace the swim and that is one of my challenges.

With the little one at home, the last few years have been tough from a training and racing perspective. I was mentored by Ernesto the last few seasons and he taught me to listen to my body and train smarter. In 2012, I PR'd an early season HM, was on my way to PRing a 2nd HM in June and ended up with a stress fracture. i spent the summer of 2012 doing some swimming and biking and started to rehab my leg in August. i ran a sprint tri in Sept, my first tri since 2009. I really live by the phrases "run a lot, mostly easy and sometimes hard" and "your easy is never easy enough and your hard is never hard enough". That shift in philosophy allowed me to increase my volume and increase my overall fitness. In 2013 life got in the way of my triathlon plans but I managed to run more than I ever have a PR'd my end of season HM by 5 minutes. My intent this year is to focus on all three disciplines in an equitable fashion and complete a HIM.

Additionally I am ex-Military for those who may enjoy that affiliation.

FAMILY STATUS: See above. My wife doesn't quite get my passion and thinks I go overboard at times. As long as my training doesn't impact the family too much she is fine. That requires me to get creative at times and to work out mostly in the mornings. I have a treadmill and bike trainer set up in the basement which is imperative due to living in Michigan. With the advent of Spring I am getting outside for runs more often and looking forward to cycling outside on the weekends.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am working on consistency in all three disciplines. I have bgun training with power on the bike for the first time and I completed a cycling foused block this winter. I also plan on following a modified Hanson's running plan for my run training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Battle of Waterloo Triathlon (August), Tawas HIM (early Sept), Detroit HM (Oct), Turkey Trot 10k (Thanksgiving).

WEIGHTLOSS: In early 2007 I weighed in around 183 (5'9"). I got down to 151 for my end of season HM and it was definitely a contributor to my performance. I would like to get to the high 140's and see how that feels.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've grown as an athlete over the last few seasons. I've overcome injury, my stubborn nature, and life's curve balls. What I've gained is an appreciation for our differences and the ability to listen and find an optimal path forward. I have an insatiable appetite for knowledge and am ready to share a lot of what I've learned with others. There are a group of us who have trained together via Ernesto's mentor group the last few years. Some of them plan to join this team and will supplement my knowledge. Some have completed Ironman races. Some are accomplished runners. What we have together is perseverance and a consistent approach to getting faster and stronger. This group is truly a team effort. All abilities are welcomed and I pledge that you will get out of his group what you are willing to put into it. I can't make you get up in the morning and head to the pool or lace up your running shoes. However, collectively we can give you the tools to make sure that when you do train you are doing it with eyes wide open and hopefully in an optimal fashion.

2014 GOALS: (1) Achieve consistency in training for Swim, Bike and Run; (2) Swim 3 times per week; (3) run healthy; (4) Bike four times per week; (5)Complete my first HIM;

2014-05-15 2:35 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Consistency Equals Success
Hi Mitch- I'm in will do my bio tonight.
2014-05-15 5:11 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Back again of course. Will post later tonight!
2014-05-15 6:28 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Name: Jim

Story: I am 48 and work as an attorney in rural Northern MI
I ran for fun when I was young but never raced. Then I got married, we had kids, I became distracted, and took a 15 year hiatus from all exercise. When I turned 40 I had an ugly physical. I was 30 lbs overweight. Everything that was supposed to be low was high and everything that was supposed to be high was low. I got mad at myself for letting this happen and decided to lose weight. I started with a diet revamp. I knew that with active kids and a busy life that a special diet would fail plus I really like food. So, I created the "Don't Eat Like a Pig" basically I ate the same foods, just not as much of it, ie: instead of eating half of a pizza I ate 1 slice and a salad. Then started walking, just a mile at first then 2. I lost 35 lbs doing this.
Then I got bored and started looking for something more. I tried softball, but found that the local leagues just used it as a reason to drink, and oh by the way hit a ball. There is a triathlon in our town and in 2009 we were driving through as the athletes were going to T1. I looked and my wife and said, next year I am doing that. She said ok. Then I asked her if she would teach me how to swim, she agreed to that too.
That night I looked up the distances, and the next day decided to run 3 miles. I ran/walked it, and just kept building, then I added biking and then the swim. I did my first tri in September 20010 and was hooked.

Family: Married for 20 years. We have 4 children all active in sports, 3 have tried triathlon and 1 competes with me. We have 3 girls aged 19, 17, 15 and a 13 year old son. The oldest is a freshman in college.

Training: I normally alternate day between run and bike at lunch, as my base and do this year round. This fall things blew apart between work, and family obligations. I did not put in my normal miles and am paying for it. I resumed strength training and add a second shorter workout in the evening to build up strength over the winter. I will do speed work on Saturday and a longer ride and Sunday I rest. My weakness is swimming. I don't have a pool available on a regular basis and it is too cold to swim in Lake Huron until May or June, depending on the Spring.

Races: Last year I did several 5 K's, a 10K, a 15 mile race, a marathon, an Olympic tri and an HIM.
This year will probably be the same, except I'm not going to run a marathon. I would like to do an IM, the question is going to be when and where. I have one more year of youth couching and the after 20 years of coaching various sports for my kids I will "retire" and I can focus on an iron distance race.

Why I make a good mentee: I love this sport and want to learn more, so I am always willing to listen and learn. I have been very active in past groups and want to share with other people interested in the sport. I have found that I do better, when I am involved with an active group. I love the new group mantra "Consistency Equals Success." Good call Mitch.
2014-05-16 11:30 AM

User image

NAME: Sisu13 / Bruno

STORY: I’m 31, typically a runner – but signed up for my first Tri this June. (June 15th, 2014) Detroit Olympic Tri with 3 Disciplines. During my freshman year of college I wanted to get out of my small dorm room therefore discovered running; I’ve been running ever since. I’m 6’4” and 170lbs – I eat like a cow and enjoy a high metabolism for now (ha).

I tend to do things in extreme, so after only running a Thanksgiving turkey trot – I signed up for the Chicago Marathon. After that, I was hooked. I enjoy group runs and charity runs. (currently running for an Orphanage in Thailand) This past Christmas, I decided to add cycle and swim to jump onboard the Tri. Needless to say – any advice is welcome… I’m green.

FAMILY STATUS: I was married in 2007 to the most amazing, patient woman! She loves me and therefore supports my crazy plans – such as decided in our first year of marriage that I would run a marathon (with only a 10k under my belt). She is an incredible cook, helping me fuel and stay healthy. We have a 2 year old daughter who loves life, adventure and I’m convinced a future swimmer.

CURRENT TRAINING: My best training involves getting ready for a race… so I am following a 18 week plan leading me up to the Tri. After June I plan to find another race to keep me motivated. I have a membership at a GYM with a pool and stationary bikes, so most of my training has been inside (because I live in Michigan). I am borrowing a friends road bike for now until I truly $ commit.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 10 mile run (June), Olympic Tri on Belle Isle, Detroit (June 15), perhaps the Detroit Marathon / Full or Half (October) Turkey Trot 10k (Thanksgiving).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am new and eager to learn everything there is to know about the 3 disciplines. I work well with challenges and accountability as well as being intentional about encouraging others along the way.

2014 GOALS: (1) Learn how to swim / February goal achieved! (2) Compete in my first Tri (3) Find a Tri for the Fall (4) Balance training with family and starting my Master’s degree.
2014-05-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: sisu13

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Garmin 910XT on sale!!

http://www.trisports.com/910xt-sale.html?trk_msg=CVK7IMVJFE4KBFRRSQ...

Bio later. I promise. Gotta go ride now!

2014-05-16 5:51 PM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
NAME: username: Meathead, First name: Drew

STORY: I'm from New Orleans originally & I've been living in Atlanta since 2001. I have always been naturally athletic, but not necessarily fit. I never worked out, rarely ate very well, but I could still go out & play in a softball league or walk 18 holes of golf without any trouble. On New Years day 2013, I weighed in at 225 which is the heaviest I have ever been. I decided to do something about it & I knew that the gym wasn't my thing. I had friends that ran & figured "I have shoes & a pair of shorts, I can go run!" As motivation, I signed up for my first half marathon which was less than 2 months away (some go couch to 5K, I went couch to HM). I got into running & fell in love. Last year I ran three half marathons & multiple 10K & 5K races. I had a friend who was in the same boat as me & got into tris. He went out & bought a P2, got a coach, a nutrition plan, & signed up for IM Augusta 70.3. I thought it was really cool & wanted to do it, but never made the commitment. Instead I decided to step up my half marathons to full marathons. This year I have run two full marathons and I joined the Atlanta Track Club which allows me to run in their Grand Prix race series (Woo! Free races!). As the weather heats up, running more than a 10K is less alluring in the Atlanta heat, so I decided to go ahead & get into sprint distance tris. I signed up for my first race at the end of the month (5/31) and I am in the midst of training up for it.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a Tennessee girl and we have two great kids ages 7 & 4. They keep us very busy, especially on weekends, which means I have to fit my training into time that is invisible to my family. That means a lot of 5AM & lunch time training sessions. My wife isn't opposed to my racing or training, but she isn't the cheerleader I wish she would be. But since I keep my training out of our family time & I only have the occasional race on a Saturday or Sunday, she doesn't really say much.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm loosely following a few beginner level training plans. I get to the Y pool at 5AM on MWF & swim 6000-7500 yards a week. I am on my trainer in the basement at 5AM 3 days a week on TThSa for about 3.5 hours total. I run at lunch 4 times a week Tuesday-Friday for 3.5-4 hours total.

KEY 2013 Races: Georgia Half Marathon (2:17:22), Atlanta 13.1 (2:06:12), New Orleans Jazz Half (2:03:06)

KEY 2014 RACES: Louisiana Marathon (4:11:58), Georgia Marathon (4:10:46), Tri The Parks Sprint (5/31/14), Allatoona Sprint Triathlon (6/29/14)

WEIGHT LOSS: I started all this because I was 225 lbs. I hadn't been under 200 since high school. By last Fall, I was down to 185. My lowest weight was 180. Right now I have gotten back up to 195, so I have a renewed mission to get back down to 175.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I'm obsessive-compulsive. I immerse myself into things. I did it with golf years ago. I did it with running last year, and now I am starting to do it with triathlons. I track the hell out of all my workouts & everything is currently stored in Garmin Connect (I can start moving that data over to BT shortly). I love to discuss the things I am passionate about in a community that understands & supports it. And I enjoy the support that the running/tri community provides each other. Everyone is passionate & encouraging. And while some may look down their nose at you for being slower than some, they are in the minority. I have had people who have run Boston more than 7 times give me a high five because I did two marathons this year. And even though they were both over 4 hours, they were convinced that one day I will run down Boylston St as a Boston qualifier. That's what makes the endurance community awesome.

2014 GOALS: Run 3-4 full marathons (2 in the books already), compete in 2-3 sprint tris and possibly an OLY, break 50 min at the Peachtree Road Race 10K in July, break 2 hours in a HM, break 4 hours in a full marathon, buy a road bike (I'm doing my races this year on a MTB), and begin training for a HIM next year.
2014-05-16 7:48 PM

User image

Conroe, Texas

NAME: username: Sawyer1206, First name: Dennis

STORY: I am 40 years old and reside in a suburb North of Houston Texas. My friends and family will tell you I am a very active person at home and at work. Despite being labeled active I still struggle with my weight and am finding it more difficult to maintain as I get older. In 2004 I weighed close to 300lbs and after realizing my current life style was not a healthy one I made a decision to change it. I decided to start a healthy diet and to take up running. One year later I finished the Houston Marathon weighing in at 180lbs.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with two teenagers at home. We are an active family with both kids participating in some sort of sport or physical activity year round. We enjoy our time together and we all share a passion for Wakeboarding which keeps us together and active on the weekends.

CURRENT TRAINING: After rebounding to 240lbs over the winter I decided to start running again in December to lose the weight. The running alone was too hard on my joints so my wife talked me into purchasing a road bike so I could alternate activities. Right now my current training consist of an hour and half in the gym in the morning either swimming, running, or spin bike and alternating strength training. I also ride the bikes 3 times a week with my wife with our average ride around 20 miles.

KEY RACES: I haven’t participated in any races since 2008. I broke my leg early in 2008 and never really got back into running until recent. Prior to breaking my leg I completed several 5K and 10K races, also as mentioned previously I completed the Houston Marathon back in 2005.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am 6’2” and 210lbs, I have struggled with my weight since I graduating High School. My life style back then led me to packing on the pounds and getting up to a whopping 300lbs. I currently weight 210lbs after losing 30lbs in the last 5 months.

WHY I WOULD MAKE A GOOD MANTEE: I am a goal driven person who never gives up, always 110 %. I will do whatever it takes to accomplish a goal and I prefer to work in a structured program with purpose and good planning. My wife tells me I’m a bit obsessive-compulsive at many aspects of my life but most particularly when it comes to my fitness goals. I am a true man of my word, I respect the opinion of others, and have no hidden agenda…what you see is what you get with me.

CURRENT GOAL: My current goal is to begin a training program that could help me complete a sprint Triathlon in August. If all goes well I would like to make Triathlon training part of my life style going forward in the next decade of my life
2014-05-17 12:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Hi Mitch, another transfer from the previous group.

NAME: Mark

STORY: I got interested in triathlons about 8 years ago while living in Chicago. Prior to that I was mainly running recreationally and cycling a bit for fun on weekends. After seeing the Chicago International tri I decided to sign up, together with my brother and we had a blast. We did few of those year after year. Looking for information and similarly minded people I discovered BT and started logging the workouts. This turned into a habit. I had a go at a sprint and 2x HIM distances in Racine. Being slow, speed doesn't motivate me much, just the distance. While in Chicago I also ran few 1/2 Marathons and one full marathon. Since my full marathon, running 1 marathon a year became a tradition I want to keep as long as possible. After relocating to Australia following the 2008 financial fiasco signed up for IM Australia in Port Mac and managed to complete it with very limited training, specially on the bike (the most important part). It was a great experience, I treated it kind of like a dare and pulled it off with the help of fellow BTrs and support of the family. This was in 2011 and since than my motivation somehow faded, however I am still relatively consistent in running, biking for fun on weekends and occasionally swimming. Once a week I like to paddle my kayak/surfski as well.

WEIGHTLOSS:I've been a vegetarian as far as I can remember, my weight has been almost constant since I was a teenager.

FAMILY: married to a beautiful Colombian girl, we have a 6 yo girl and are now residing on the Gold Coast, Australia, pretty much a perfect place for swimming, biking and running. Hard to find an excuse not to do it (although my wife is good at that). Btw, we even have a prime minister now who is an Ironman (IM Port Mac, 2010)!

THIS YEAR'S RACES? Local Gold Coast marathon (beginning of July) for sure and many Parkrun 5k races on Saturdays - this will catch on in US one day too, it is big here and free!
The rest will depend on motivation.

Edited by markz 2014-05-17 1:44 AM
2014-05-17 6:28 AM
in reply to: markz

User image

Expert
NAME: username: joepetto

STORY: Born and bred in Philadelphia and therefore a miserable sports fan. Lawyer by trade who reached 40 decided and decided that stress management through endurance sports was better than the alternatives. Never much of an athlete as a kid, but I started with the saddle and the reached for running shoes - problem was I couldn't swim. Wife encouraged me and at age 41 I learned to swim. This will be year 5 in endurance sports. Year one was remarkable in that I had meniscus surgery and still completed a number of races. Year 2 I completed my first HIM and Marathons. Year 3 I Pr'd every race, took 30' off my HIM PR and came with 3' of a BQ. Year 4 was marked with problems - both personal and sports related. I am on the way back from a heel spur and have raced a couple of road and Duathlon races.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married for 16+ years and the proud father of two beautiful girls (13 & 10)

CURRENT TRAINING: 6x per week with a focus on running, swimming at least 2x week and some cycling thrown in. I am somewhat prone to injury to I need to make it through a couple more races in decent shape and then start marathon training in July. Plan on getting a run coach.

KEY 2014 RACES: 2014 Philadelphia Marathin in pursuit of my BQ. Have a half Mary in June, and have raced 5Ks, 5 milers and a Duathlon so far in 2014. Not sure I will race a tri this year, but maybe.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'9, and currently 157 lbs - body fat at 9.3%. Lean, but muscular may drop a couple of pounds during the season.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I love to suffer.
2014-05-17 6:47 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hola Mitch and friends and thanks Mitch for creating the group again!

NAME: username: trigabe, First name: Gabriel

STORY: I'm from Guatemala, 45 yrs old. After living for over 13 years abroad (2 in Chicago getting my MBA and the rest in SF/Bay Area and Pasadena, CA) I'm now back in Guatemala City. After being totally sedentary and somewhat overweight for several years I did my first sprint triathlon 3 years ago and became hooked immediately. Since then I have been able to complete several HM's, 2 Marathons (Chicago and Antwerp) several 1/2 Ironmans and 2 full Ironmans (Texas 2012 and Cozumel 2013). So my plan is to keep active with triathlons and running races and to seek to improve my time/endurance at the different distances, while staying healthy and injury free.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a lovely Guatemalan woman (Estefania) and the proud father of two beautiful girls (Isabel 9, Ana Sofia 7) and a baby boy (Gabe Jr 22 months)

CURRENT TRAINING: After completing IM Cozumel in December I developed an ITB injury on my right knee and can't run yet. Now my main goals for 2014 are to complete my 3rd full Ironman race along with a couple of HM, HIM and the New York City Marathon in November. Due to the ongoing ITB injury I recently cancelled my registration for the IM distance Challenge tri in AC. If my ITB injury gets better, I will shoot for IM Maryland in August or IM Lake Tahoe in September.

KEY 2013 Races: Antwerp, Belgium Marathon (3:45, new PR), Vineman 70.3 triathlon (5:28), Guatemala City 1/2 Marathon (1:40), Ironmaya 70.3 tri (5:21 new PR), Ironman Cozumel (11:36 new PR)

KEY 2014 RACES: IM Maryland or IM Lake Tahoe?, Guatemala City HM, Ironmaya HIM, New York City Marathon (Nov 2)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'10, and currently 155 lbs close to my ideal race weight. I've lost 25 lbs since I started training 3 years ago.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I'm passionate about triathlons, running and racing and all of the benefits that come with a balanced lifestyle. I also enjoy all of the great people I have met throughout the sport and through BT. Realizing that one is always learning, I'm looking to improve the structure/effectiveness of my trainings, as well as sharing good stories, recommendations and support messages with other on this group.

Cheers, Gabe

Edited by trigabe 2014-05-17 9:50 PM

2014-05-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4996214

User image

Conroe, Texas
My wife and I spent some time at the IronmanTexas here in the Woodlands and man I got to say it was inspiring. To see faces of the runners as they cross the finish line and their names were announced as Ironmen as they came across...wow!! I have so much respect for the athletes who attempt such a feat. To all the Ironman here KUDOS to you.
2014-05-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4996214

User image

Conroe, Texas
My wife and I spent some time at the IronmanTexas here in the Woodlands and man I got to say it was inspiring. To see faces of the runners as they cross the finish line and their names were announced as Ironmen as they came across...wow!! I have so much respect for the athletes who attempt such a feat. To all the Ironman here KUDOS to you.
2014-05-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Originally posted by sawyer1206

Dennis, thanks!
No one would be doing this insane distance if it wasn't for people like yourself. The crossing of that line is absolutely magical. To see all the people wait so long for the finishers, screaming your name as you get in that chute, makes you want to embrace them all. Who wouldn't want to be called an Ironman in front of the big crowd when you really feel like you deserve it and can hardly walk?
2014-05-18 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
NAME: username: jackiep, First name: Jackie

STORY: I am 61 years old and reside in Austin, Texas, although I am currently a consultant in Tallahassee, FL. I started running in my 30s when I worked for the Department of Defense. I ran with SEALS and Rangers (it was their warm-up). Then I took about 15 years off. I started cycling around age 50. My eye doctor told me I should do a triathlon. I didn’t even know what that was. After I read about it, I thought it was worth a try. So at age 57, I did my first one.
I lived in the middle of nowhere and the closest pool was 40 miles away. But, I started swimming two to three times a week and started back to running. I joined BT and got in a mentoring group with Ernesto. He’s still in this group somewhere. He showed up in person at my first sprint triathlon and took pictures and cheered. I eventually did an Olympic and a half mary and the following year I did 5 or 6 races including my first HIM. In Feb 2013 while unemployed, I trained for and ran my first marathon trying to determine if I wanted to ever do an IM. I was well trained and qualified for Boston. After the bombs went off and more people qualified, I ended up missing the cutoff by 34 sec. I found myself wondering what I should do next and just didn’t have the desire to set any goals. I did race cyclocross last season. I love getting points for my team.

I have recently begun to reconsider if I want to do an IM. Since the swim is my weakest area, I have decided to concentrate on that for the near-term. I have a 19 year old swim coach who has been to Kona! He swims about 1:23/100. So far he has been a big help, after only 1 lesson.

FAMILY STATUS: Single with two grown daughters and an awesome son-in-law who are my biggest cheerleaders besides this group. My significant other is a very active cyclist and former marathoner and triathlete. It's nice to have someone to go to the pool or ride with even if you do your own separate workout.

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting lots of miles in on the bike, road and mountain. Did an unsupported century ride a few weeks ago. Running a trail series with local athletes. Getting swim coaching. Participating in the monthly forum challenge.

2011 RACES: A 5K, a 5-miler, 3 sprints, and an Olympic. Had a couple of podium finishes and set some PRs.

2012 RACES: A half mary, 4 sprints, 3 Olympics, a half iron and 2 long registered bike rides. Had a couple of podium finishes and set some more PRs.
2013 Cowtown Marathon (Ft Worth) PR and BQ

WEIGHTLOSS: 112 pounds dripping wet. I'm the one who was always to trying to put weight on in high school.

WHY I WOULD MAKE A GOOD MENTEE: I am very disciplined. I am open to other ideas. I am a student of the sport. I love to give back.

CURRENT GOAL: Ease back into triathlons. Become more efficient on the swim. Get faster and stronger on the bike. Maintain the run.
2014-05-18 5:33 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Expert
Gabe or any other Ironman veterans:

I'm contemplating moving up to the full iron distance. Help me out here.

IM Texas, IM FL, IM Cozumel (Gabe you've done two out of the three)

I'm weakest on the swim, but I'm working on that.

Also, for those of you that have trained for that distance, what does the typical training week look like in the middle of your plan?

2014-05-18 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Are we still doing the challenge?
2014-05-19 12:39 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Originally posted by jackiep

Also, for those of you that have trained for that distance, what does the typical training week look like in the middle of your plan?

Jackie, in my opinion there's no 'typical' here, because it all depends on your goal and level of fitness. If you regularly do century rides, can swim and only want to finish, then you don't really need to do anything, but that's rarely the case. Test yourself to know where you are ( in SBR + nutrition + motivation terms), define honestly what you want out of this IM (finish or sub ... something) and also how much you can/want to train without losing your job and family.
You are a very good runner (BQ!!!) and bike a lot. I don't know about the swim, but that's an insignificant part as long as you don't lose too much energy in that water. You are in perfect shape to sign up. We will provide the cheering!

Edited by markz 2014-05-19 12:40 AM
2014-05-19 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jackiep

Gabe or any other Ironman veterans:

I'm contemplating moving up to the full iron distance. Help me out here.

IM Texas, IM FL, IM Cozumel (Gabe you've done two out of the three)

I'm weakest on the swim, but I'm working on that.

Here's another 2 cents. I'm not an ironman, but I know about being a bad swimmer. Plus I've done a lot of shopping for an event. IM Florida is wetsuit legal the other two are not. If you are nor familiar with wetsuit swimming the added buoyancy gives your legs and torso a lift, so you are in a better swim position. It turn a bad swimmer into a good swimmer, a good swimmer into Michael Phelps, and Michael Phelps into Aquaman. Florida is down to charity registrations the other two are still open.
2014-05-19 7:54 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Carry the challenge forward.

Friday - 40' swim
Sat - 30' bike and 45' swim
Sunday - 25' run and 45' bike

Mark 14 58:46:00
Joe 17 16:48:09
Jackie 10 11:49:16
Jim 10 08:05:50
Bruno 08 10:10:00
Mitch 11 12:33:37
Lisa 8 11:20:32
Dennis 10 12:31:45
Drew 10 11:56:05
Gabe 4 4:00:00
-----
2014-05-19 8:04 AM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
@Jackie - agree with Jim. IMFL is probably your best bet. I've seen video from Cozumel and the current there can be brutal on the swim. Winds can also be tricky on the bike depending in which side of the island you may be on. Lastly, with my GI issues, Coz scares me.

So, I am now suffering from what I believe is some tendinopathy in my hamstring - it's not a pull or a tear, but a pain that is much closer to the gluteus. Going to go back to the PT and layoff running for a while.

I hadn't run in a week, but on Sunday, I had my 10 year old daughters 5K that she had been training for and quite frankly, my wife couldn't keep up with her. Well, not only did she deal my hamstring a beating, but she was first OA in a field of over 800 girls her age. The kid was just awesome - went out in 8:05, mile 2 at 8:00 and then put the hammer down at mile 3 and went 7:38. Finish line was in a stadium with lots of cheering people, the announcer called her name and it was just awesome to be a part of. It was worth the prolonged injury.

2014-05-19 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
I will add in 2 points for Thursday a swim 42:23 and a run 36:23, today a run 57:36 total time 2:16:22

Mark 14 58:46:00
Jim 12 10:22:12

Joe- Congratulations your daughter's success! Great role models get great results.
Now heal up, so you don't blow your season.

Edited by JBacarella 2014-05-19 12:48 PM
2014-05-19 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Adding 2 hr bike on Friday and 3 hr run on Sunday.

Mark 16 18:46:00

Edited by markz 2014-05-19 2:44 PM
2014-05-19 9:00 PM

User image

Conroe, Texas

Dennis 12 14:43:45
2014-05-19 9:54 PM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Expert
Jackie 13 18:04:12
Dennis 12 14:43:45

Joe, that is so awesome about your daughter's victory!! Get better now so you can chase her ;-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Consistency Equals Success Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2014
author : tri342
comments : 2
When I found out there was going to be a small sprint triathlon in a month, I signed up and I decided I would try to do my best.

date : February 27, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
To succeed in a multisport event is to sign the entry form and show up to the start. If you put but a toe in the water consider that a bonus. This sport is hard.
date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
comments : 0
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.

date : October 20, 2008
author : EnduRight
Training is often a lonely proposition and sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Finding good training partners can provide you with that extra external motivation to bring out your best.
date : July 3, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Take some time right now to think of at least three great reasons why your goal is worth achieving. Make them specific, powerful, exciting, and inspiring.

date : January 1, 2006
author : c.krishnan
We must all be aware that success attained in one single effort will have only a short span of life. Because success achieved without any strain or struggle cannot last long.
date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Your training plan is a guide but you don’t blindly follow it. You shouldn’t know exactly what you are going to do until the day you are to do it.