BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-06-20 11:14 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)
To those racing this weekend...good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes.

Are tempo rides meant to take place on a route that is flat? Today I had a 1:50 ride with 36' tempo (1,800' elevation). I ride at work (flat routes) and at home (hilly). Would it be better to keep those tempo rides at work on the flatter routes? At home I am going up and down the whole time, makes it hard to keep a groove on that tempo portion.

2014-06-20 1:59 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by cjhild To those racing this weekend...good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes. Are tempo rides meant to take place on a route that is flat? Today I had a 1:50 ride with 36' tempo (1,800' elevation). I ride at work (flat routes) and at home (hilly). Would it be better to keep those tempo rides at work on the flatter routes? At home I am going up and down the whole time, makes it hard to keep a groove on that tempo portion.

If its easier to target the wattage (as percent of your critical power) you want on the flats compared to your hilly route at home, then yeah, your first choice would be the flatter route.  If you are climbing a lot you will exceed the power output you want and the workout will turn into something you hadn't intended.  If you are going to be racing a hilly course then you would want to make sure you also have workouts that use your hilly home course to simulate the race course.

2014-06-22 12:27 PM
in reply to: hotalinge

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

I have a full Aqua/Bike coming up this weekend and I plan on doing a full change in T1 into bibs and bike jersey (just like I plan for IMMT). On the athlete guide it says "No Public Nudity" so my questions is this.....

When changing in T1, do I need to wrap a towel around myself to lube up with butt budder and then put my bibs on or do I just drop trowel, lube up and then put bibs on? I assume its like a big locker room in their but at the same time, I do not want to get myself in any trouble or make anyone mad by the inadvertent junk shot.
2014-06-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 QUESTION FOR THE GROUP: I have a full Aqua/Bike coming up this weekend and I plan on doing a full change in T1 into bibs and bike jersey (just like I plan for IMMT). On the athlete guide it says "No Public Nudity" so my questions is this..... When changing in T1, do I need to wrap a towel around myself to lube up with butt budder and then put my bibs on or do I just drop trowel, lube up and then put bibs on? I assume its like a big locker room in their but at the same time, I do not want to get myself in any trouble or make anyone mad by the inadvertent junk shot.

We'll be in an enclosed tent for T1, and trust me, there will be nudity.  I don't think anyone considers what goes on in the T1 tent as "public" so you'll be fine.

2014-06-23 3:10 PM

Hey all...just got home and wanted to send you a quick update....

Syracuse 70.3 race weekend was alot of fun - my daughter did the IronKids race on Saturday and I did the 70.3 on Sunday. Overall, I was fairly pleased with my time...definitely some things to work on, but fairly happy. My net time was 6:28. I'll write-up a race report later, but PR swim (at least I think it was, though I have to check to be sure), decent bike and ok run. I think I actually "undercooked" the bike, but more on that later. Prob could have pushed the run a bit too, but didn't want to drain myself too much - more on that later too.

Overall, happy with my performance and now it's 100% focus on IMMT training.

But first, laundry...
2014-06-23 4:48 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

I have a full Aqua/Bike coming up this weekend and I plan on doing a full change in T1 into bibs and bike jersey (just like I plan for IMMT). On the athlete guide it says "No Public Nudity" so my questions is this.....

When changing in T1, do I need to wrap a towel around myself to lube up with butt budder and then put my bibs on or do I just drop trowel, lube up and then put bibs on? I assume its like a big locker room in their but at the same time, I do not want to get myself in any trouble or make anyone mad by the inadvertent junk shot.

At IMAZ everyone was naked in the tent, not a big deal, you should be fine.

2014-06-23 4:51 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by LarchmontTri

I'll write-up a race report later

Can't wait, sounds like it was a good experience. I was thinking of you when I was reading the Slowtwitch breakdown of the pro race.
2014-06-23 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by cjhild To those racing this weekend...good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes. Are tempo rides meant to take place on a route that is flat? Today I had a 1:50 ride with 36' tempo (1,800' elevation). I ride at work (flat routes) and at home (hilly). Would it be better to keep those tempo rides at work on the flatter routes? At home I am going up and down the whole time, makes it hard to keep a groove on that tempo portion.

If its easier to target the wattage (as percent of your critical power) you want on the flats compared to your hilly route at home, then yeah, your first choice would be the flatter route.  If you are climbing a lot you will exceed the power output you want and the workout will turn into something you hadn't intended.  If you are going to be racing a hilly course then you would want to make sure you also have workouts that use your hilly home course to simulate the race course.

Copy that, thanks!

Any of you guys on Strava? If any of you have your profile public I'd like to follow, pm me if you don't want to post it here.
2014-06-23 6:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by cjhild

Copy that, thanks!

Any of you guys on Strava? If any of you have your profile public I'd like to follow, pm me if you don't want to post it here.

Just followed you.
2014-06-24 5:44 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro

I have to admit....I know nothing about Strava.   I'm currently in Washington,DC (Arlington, VA actually) for a work-related meeting this week.  Much warmer temps than back home but for DC in summer its actually not too bad.  I banged up some ribs a coupel weeks ago and I can now breathe without too much pain but it still is not too fun dealing with this injury.  Looking forward to reading some race reports.

2014-06-24 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Thought I would check in - I have been managing to ensure that I have a protein shake prior to bed for nights where I train late, and it seems to be helping, so thanks for the words of advice

As far as training goes, I had a great 11 mile run on sat where I was able to keep the entire run in low zone 3, while still managing a decent pace. Sunday was about as crazy as days get, so I had to take it as an off day, but managed to get in on a group ride last night. Normally we do around 30 miles, but we ended up hitting 50 last night, and we all kept the hammer down, which made for a tough ride, but it was a lot of fun. By the end of the ride you could see everyone was a little tired as there were fewer breakouts and the group was not as tightly packed as when we first started.

The other huge win from last night is last year, I would get dropped on almost all of the climbs, and through all of the strength work I had done in the off season (coupled with better fitness) it put me in a position to be able to either lead up the hills and to catch the normal climbers who usually break away, or to be able to hold a strong wheel all the way up the climb...based in all of my prior years of biking, climbing has been a HUGE limiter for me, and it is nice to see that I am able to climb just as strong on my tri bike as those who are riding road bikes!!

2014-06-25 6:34 AM
in reply to: benihana

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great Job at Syracuse Brian!
2014-06-25 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Strava is kind of fun, another way to follow your friend's training routines.

I did protien drinks when I first started triathlon, usually just doing the powder in some water, not a smoothie. I got away from it for a long time. I am back to it, trying out the Body Fortress (tastes pretty good) after my main workout of the day. Man that is totally filling, I struggle to eat the following meal, feel really full.

Jim- did you crash or something?

I am getting pretty nervous for my race Sunday. I have done this race a few times, know it well. It's not like it's a half or full or anything, no concern about making the distance. I feel like I have some decent fitness right now, want to have a good day. My goal is to go sub 2:15 for a PR at this race. My swim in recent races has been slower than I'd like, I've been satisfied with both the bike and run lately.
2014-06-25 2:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by cjhild  Jim- did you crash or something?

I am getting pretty nervous for my race Sunday. I have done this race a few times, know it well. It's not like it's a half or full or anything, no concern about making the distance. I feel like I have some decent fitness right now, want to have a good day. My goal is to go sub 2:15 for a PR at this race. My swim in recent races has been slower than I'd like, I've been satisfied with both the bike and run lately.

No, nothing related to training.  I stopped at the local small engine repair shop to pick up some chainsaw chains I had sharpened.  Someone had a utility trailer in the parking lot to haul a riding lawn mower and they had the ramp lowered to unload.  I wasn't paying attention as I walked by and tripped over the ramp.  It happened so fast I couldn't break my fall and I landed right on my chest.  No fractures (had it x-rayed) but probably tweaked some cartilage and muscles.  Totally painful to even breathe for a couple of weeks, and training was not fun at all.  If I had to cough or sneeze.....forget about it...   Anyway, I've been feeling much better the past couple of days but still a fair bit of pain.

Good luck on your race!!!

2014-06-25 11:19 PM

Hey all - I just posted my race report. Head over there if you're interested. BTW, sorry for the delay. As soon as I got back from the race, I was away on business and just returned home today.

Hope everyone is doing well.
2014-06-26 10:46 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Originally posted by LarchmontTri

Hey all - I just posted my race report. Head over there if you're interested. BTW, sorry for the delay. As soon as I got back from the race, I was away on business and just returned home today.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Brian, Great job on your race. After reading your report and others, this sounds like one hard, hilly course. I really liked your comment about the challenged athlete and drawing inspiration from it.

Hope everyone is having a good week. On track with my training and looking forward to the weekend.

2014-06-26 7:07 PM

User image

Greenville, South Carolina
hi all, i posted my race report from enka tri last weekend if anyone's interested. i was pretty happy with my race - 9th female overall and 2nd AG! felt smoother than i have in the past on the swim (and only 38th/84 women… getting there!) and pretty good on the bike and strong on the run. i'm really liking my run times lately… considering doing some running races after my big tri in sept.

had a tough training day sunday, though. the race was saturday and i still needed to get in some bigger distances than the 17.5 bike and 5k run in the sprint, so i did a 10 mi run sunday am and a 44 mile bike in the afternoon. it was HOT and i was pretty tired (and probably a little dehydrated by the end of the ride - just got an aero bottle so i'll be able to carry 74 oz instead of 40). thank goodness for recovery week this week!
2014-06-27 11:19 AM

User image

Justin, good luck on the SD race this weekend. I am confident you will break 2:15. Crush it!

Anyone else racing this weekend? I want to get in some longer bike miles tomorrow, maybe 75 or so.

Did a longer run yesterday, 7.25 miles. Was supposed to have a couple of speed intervals in the middle but my legs were just way to tired. Felt like I was running in molasses. Need some recovery today. Just a swim.
2014-06-30 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes, must have worked. Had a great race, couldn't have gone much better. My goal was to PR with a sub 2:15, came in at 2:09:14. I'll post back once I have my full race report up.
2014-06-30 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Race report is up if you'd like to take a look.
2014-06-30 11:30 AM

User image

Race report is up if you'd like to take a look.

Great race. I guess you have to now set a new PR goal...<2hr?

2014-07-02 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Thought I would throw an update out there. I managed to get all 3 in today. Hills on my lunch run, quick swim, and the kicker intervals on the bike

I manage to run a bit of the USAT Du Nationals course over lunch today, and while there is still PLENTY of water from the flooded Mississippi River at the race venue, the waters are receding nicely, and it looks like we should be good for the race in a little over two weeks

Hope everyone's training and racing is going well

2014-07-02 10:17 PM

User image

Name- Justin Hilderbrand

Story- I’m 38 years old and live/train in the Southern California desert.

where in southern cali? im in san diego
2014-07-02 10:21 PM

User image

Copy that, thanks!

strave is cool. lets you know how good your are doing (or how much you suck!) compared to others in your area doing the same rides.

my strava is under [email protected] or Ricardo Ramirez
2014-07-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: rramirez1

User image

Pro

Sorry for not checking in lately.  Last week began our busiest 6 weeks of the year at work.  2 solid weeks on the road later this month.  Training is going well.  110 mile ride on Saturday and 18 mile run on Sunday coming up.  We're thinking of a road trip to Montana next week so that will make training a little tricky.  Hope everyone has a great holiday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31