BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-07-18 7:30 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)
Good luck to all who are racing this weekend!!

I am less than 12 hours away from Du Nationals...it's going to be a good one!!!

2014-07-19 1:06 PM
in reply to: benihana

Originally posted by benihana

Good luck to all who are racing this weekend!!

I am less than 12 hours away from Du Nationals...it's going to be a good one!!!

good luck!
2014-07-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Well, I had a decent race at Nationals. I qualified for Team USA, but chose to not accept my slot, as I am still leaning towards doing IMWI next year, which would be in the same time frame

I have had a couple days to reflect on my race, and overall, I feel that I raced it pretty smart, and managed to redline the entire way. Looking back, I feel like I paced the initial run well, managed to stay on the gass about 90% of the bike, but lost focus a little during the ride, and that most likely cost me about 1-2 mins, as I was pacing off another guy, and once I lost focus, he was gone. The first lap of the 2nd run was ok, the 2nd lap I was deep into the pain cave.

Happy with how it all turned out

Now, I just have to decide if I am going to reg any more races this year, or if I am going to focus on more running races for the fall....decisions, decisions
2014-07-23 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by benihana Well, I had a decent race at Nationals. I qualified for Team USA, but chose to not accept my slot, as I am still leaning towards doing IMWI next year, which would be in the same time frame I have had a couple days to reflect on my race, and overall, I feel that I raced it pretty smart, and managed to redline the entire way. Looking back, I feel like I paced the initial run well, managed to stay on the gass about 90% of the bike, but lost focus a little during the ride, and that most likely cost me about 1-2 mins, as I was pacing off another guy, and once I lost focus, he was gone. The first lap of the 2nd run was ok, the 2nd lap I was deep into the pain cave. Happy with how it all turned out Now, I just have to decide if I am going to reg any more races this year, or if I am going to focus on more running races for the fall....decisions, decisions

Nice job Ben!  There will be other chances for qualifying for Team USA (especially with Apple Du being a frequent qualifier) so putting it aside for IM WI is a reasonable way to go if you will have a window available next year for IM training (especially with kids) then go for it. 

I'm on work related travel this week and again next week so its been hard to touch bases with the group here.  I had a good long ride/run of 122/16 last week, a 120/18 coming this weekend, then a 100/20 the week after that and then most of the hay will be in the barn for IM MT next month.  Getting ancy to toe the line.  Hope everyone's training is going well.

2014-07-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by benihana Well, I had a decent race at Nationals. I qualified for Team USA, but chose to not accept my slot, as I am still leaning towards doing IMWI next year, which would be in the same time frame I have had a couple days to reflect on my race, and overall, I feel that I raced it pretty smart, and managed to redline the entire way. Looking back, I feel like I paced the initial run well, managed to stay on the gass about 90% of the bike, but lost focus a little during the ride, and that most likely cost me about 1-2 mins, as I was pacing off another guy, and once I lost focus, he was gone. The first lap of the 2nd run was ok, the 2nd lap I was deep into the pain cave. Happy with how it all turned out Now, I just have to decide if I am going to reg any more races this year, or if I am going to focus on more running races for the fall....decisions, decisions

Nice job Ben!  There will be other chances for qualifying for Team USA (especially with Apple Du being a frequent qualifier) so putting it aside for IM WI is a reasonable way to go if you will have a window available next year for IM training (especially with kids) then go for it. 

I'm on work related travel this week and again next week so its been hard to touch bases with the group here.  I had a good long ride/run of 122/16 last week, a 120/18 coming this weekend, then a 100/20 the week after that and then most of the hay will be in the barn for IM MT next month.  Getting ancy to toe the line.  Hope everyone's training is going well.

Thanks Jim...that is kind of my thoughts as well...happy to have qualified, and look to training hard over the next few years in order to (hopefully) qualify again. Also, with Du Nats here again next year, that is always a positive

Impressive training BTW...excited for you to tear up the course
2014-07-24 9:29 PM

User image

Well, I had a decent race at Nationals. I qualified for Team USA, but chose to not accept my slot, as I am still leaning towards doing IMWI next year, which would be in the same time frame

Congrats on a great race! That has to feel nice!!

2014-07-27 10:02 AM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

User image

I did it! I finished my first half-ironman. It was a brutally hot day, people were DNFing all over the place -- it was rough, but also beautiful and amazing. Thanks for the support on here! Race report is up if anyone is interested!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Best of luck to everyone who is still prepping for their races! Can't wait to see how you all do!
2014-07-27 10:06 PM
in reply to: tiffanyosh

User image

Originally posted by tiffanyosh

I did it! I finished my first half-ironman. It was a brutally hot day, people were DNFing all over the place -- it was rough, but also beautiful and amazing. Thanks for the support on here! Race report is up if anyone is interested!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Best of luck to everyone who is still prepping for their races! Can't wait to see how you all do!

Great job in really tough conditions. Glad you are alright. My buddy did the full and couldn't even start the run. Was completely dehydrated and couldn't continue.
2014-07-28 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Great job and congrats on finishing your first HIM!! I know what you mean about hot. I was doing a 86 mile ride on Sunday and it was 92 degrees with 70% humidity!
2014-07-29 12:56 PM
in reply to: #5026277

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA
So, I've been trying to use the training plan that I got from beginner triathlete, but it's too easy. Anybody know how I can make it gear up the workouts? Btw, who else is training for Silverman 70.3? It's getting closer and I'm getting worried! Lol
2014-07-29 1:06 PM
in reply to: R-Star

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Originally posted by R-Star

So, I've been trying to use the training plan that I got from beginner triathlete, but it's too easy. Anybody know how I can make it gear up the workouts? Btw, who else is training for Silverman 70.3? It's getting closer and I'm getting worried! Lol

I would love to help anyway I can, but need a little more info.

Which plan did you get, and can you provide a week or two of the precribed workouts (along with your race date)? Can you be more specific on the plan being too easy? Is it the specific workouts are too easy?

2014-07-29 6:32 PM

User image

Several of us in this group are signed up for Silverman and I have a few other friends doing as well. Are you worried about being under-trained? I am no expert but the best advice I can offer for a 70.3 is to really focus on bike fitness. It will help your bike but just as important, will do wonders for your legs on the run. So with the remaining 11 weeks, I would concentrate your effort there.
2014-07-31 4:12 PM

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA

I would love to help anyway I can, but need a little more info.

Which plan did you get, and can you provide a week or two of the precribed workouts (along with your race date)? Can you be more specific on the plan being too easy? Is it the specific workouts are too easy?

I'd love some help! My race date is Oct. 4th, I'll post some of the workouts as soon as I figure out how to do it, lol. I did a custom plan for the race distance and put in my average times, pace, etc. For the most part the swim distances are way too short. I'm thinking I should just add some extra distance to the swim workouts, but I'm not sure in what form.
Thanks!
2014-08-01 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

I'd love some help! My race date is Oct. 4th, I'll post some of the workouts as soon as I figure out how to do it, lol. I did a custom plan for the race distance and put in my average times, pace, etc. For the most part the swim distances are way too short. I'm thinking I should just add some extra distance to the swim workouts, but I'm not sure in what form.
Thanks!

Just manually type in a few of the workouts...also, let us know how many hours you have available for training, and how many you are currently training....

As far as adding additional length into the workouts will work, but you need to look at the training plan as a whole, and not as an individual day. The purpose of each workout, and each week, builds on the previous, so if we change one, then we will need to account for those changes in your overall plan

Ben
2014-08-01 3:05 PM
in reply to: #5032111

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I made the last minute decision to add a sprint to my calendar...looks like perfect weather tomorrow

Anyone else racing this weekend?
2014-08-01 5:52 PM

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA

Thanks!

Just manually type in a few of the workouts...also, let us know how many hours you have available for training, and how many you are currently training....

As far as adding additional length into the workouts will work, but you need to look at the training plan as a whole, and not as an individual day. The purpose of each workout, and each week, builds on the previous, so if we change one, then we will need to account for those changes in your overall plan

Ben

Ok, here's two swim workouts, both only 1300 yards?! And the pace is way slow too. The first one is for today and the next is supposed to be my next swim on tuesday.

25m 1300.00 yards
Warmup: 500 yards
Pace: 02m 26s /100 yards +
Freestyle at recovery pace
Main Set:10m /550 yards
Set #1 400 yards
Drills
2x(50 Drill: Catch-up, 50 Freestyle),
2X(50 Drill: Finger Tip Drag, 50 Freestyle)
Set #2 150 yards
Threshold
Pace: 02m 07s - 01m 56s /100 yards
Cooldown: 250 yards
Pace: - 02m 26s /100 yards

25m 1300.00 yards
Warmup: 500 yards
Pace: 02m 26s /100 yards +
Main Set:10m /550 yards
Set #1 400 yards
Drills
2x(50 Drill: Closed Fist , 50 Freestyle)
4x50 Drill: Swim Golf with 20sec rest. Rest & count strokes. What combination of time and strokes gives you the lowest ‘score?’ (Ex: 43 strokes + 45” = 88).
Set #2 100 yards
Endurance
Intervals: 2x50' on 5' rest
Pace: 02m 25s - 02m 08s /100 yards
Set #3 50 yards
Endurance
Pace: 02m 25s - 02m 08s /100 yards
Freestyle at Endurance pace.
Cooldown: 250 yards
Pace: - 02m 26s /100 yards

I'd appreciate any help! I'm trying to decide what to swim today!

2014-08-01 5:58 PM

User image

New user
Paso Robles, CA
Originally posted by StevenC

Several of us in this group are signed up for Silverman and I have a few other friends doing as well. Are you worried about being under-trained? I am no expert but the best advice I can offer for a 70.3 is to really focus on bike fitness. It will help your bike but just as important, will do wonders for your legs on the run. So with the remaining 11 weeks, I would concentrate your effort there.

Good advice, and luckily I'm strongest on the bike! Ya, I'm a little nervous about being under trained. When I signed up I was doing really well with my running, but then I got derailed by shin splints. That set me way back. I've also been having trouble getting in enough training time while my kids are out of school. I'm just going to be happy to finish at this point
2014-08-01 7:18 PM

User image

Good luck with the sprint.

I have Pier to Pier swim on Sunday, 2.1 miles. Should be good conditions but the mass start always messes with me. 800 men and 500 women rounding the first pier in 2 waves it definitely gets a bit hectic. Hoping to finish right around 1 hour.

2 weeks until my first of three 70.3s so definitely getting amped up. I think training is in a good place.
2014-08-05 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I have Pier to Pier swim on Sunday

How were the conditions? You hit 1:46/100? I'd take that any day...but I'm slower than you.

I have been missing a few workouts and off the message boards lately. We are in the process of putting our house up for sale. Projects included but were not limited to new baseboards, installation of two new pre-hung doors, painting, patching, new carpet, new tile, various yard work...and the list goes on. We are close to listing so the projects are about done and I can get back to more consistent training. Hope that everyone is getting in good training right now.
2014-08-05 5:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by cjhild

I have Pier to Pier swim on Sunday

How were the conditions? You hit 1:46/100? I'd take that any day...but I'm slower than you.

I have been missing a few workouts and off the message boards lately. We are in the process of putting our house up for sale. Projects included but were not limited to new baseboards, installation of two new pre-hung doors, painting, patching, new carpet, new tile, various yard work...and the list goes on. We are close to listing so the projects are about done and I can get back to more consistent training. Hope that everyone is getting in good training right now.
[/QUOTE

Thanks. Pretty good swim, 1:06 for 2.15 miles. I actually swam pretty straight this year for a change. I was trying to stay relaxed and just go easy. Thought I was actually going faster than that and seemed like I was passing a bunch of people. Was trying to pretend that I had a bike and run after to see how fresh I could stay. It worked and I exited the water feeling great. Did 7 mile run a couple hours later. The top guy went 37:xx without wetsuit. That's 1:00 for 37 straight 100s. I cannot do one at that speed. Lastly, there were a couple juvenile whites in the water so that freaked a bunch of people out. Imagine 1000 swimmers in the water and 2 sharks. Kind of like a giant chum line.

Sounds like you have your hands buys with those projects. I guess there are only so many hours in the day. Figured since you were such an early riser you would get a bike ride in at 4a or something.

Edited by StevenC 2014-08-05 5:30 PM
2014-08-06 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

a couple juvenile whites

Did you see them??? That is creepy!

2014-08-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

a couple juvenile whites

Did you see them??? That is creepy!

I didn't but spoke to a bunch of people who did. My daughter's swim coach saw one and just keep swimming. You know it's getting bad when the lifeguards have named one of them. Bruce, like in Finding Nemo, "fish are our friends". But he never mentioned humans.
2014-08-09 12:42 PM

User image

Pro

Sorry I've been MIA....work-related travel the past couple of weeks.  Sounds like everyone is keeping busy with tris or things on the home front.   Today and tomorrow are my last workouts volume-wise.  3 hour ride today and short brick run, then 2 hour ride tomorrow and 1 hour open water swim.  We leave for IM Mont-Tremblant this coming Thurs and then will spend 3 more days there relaxing.  I feel fitter than I ever have for the past few years so we'll see what happens next Sunday.  Hope everyone's race prep is going well!!

2014-08-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Sorry I've been MIA....work-related travel the past couple of weeks.  Sounds like everyone is keeping busy with tris or things on the home front.   Today and tomorrow are my last workouts volume-wise.  3 hour ride today and short brick run, then 2 hour ride tomorrow and 1 hour open water swim.  We leave for IM Mont-Tremblant this coming Thurs and then will spend 3 more days there relaxing.  I feel fitter than I ever have for the past few years so we'll see what happens next Sunday.  Hope everyone's race prep is going well!!

What's your goal for the race?
2014-08-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Pro

What's your goal for the race?

Qualify for Kona, which likely means a top 4 in the M50-54 AG.....which will require a 10:00 to 10:15 finishing time.  I need to minimize losses on the swim, bike smartly, and if I have no nutrition issues and can get to the run in one piece I feel very strong on the run right now.  You take what the day gives you

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31