BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-08-13 12:56 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open)
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by cjhild

Sorry I've been MIA....work-related travel the past couple of weeks.  Sounds like everyone is keeping busy with tris or things on the home front.   Today and tomorrow are my last workouts volume-wise.  3 hour ride today and short brick run, then 2 hour ride tomorrow and 1 hour open water swim.  We leave for IM Mont-Tremblant this coming Thurs and then will spend 3 more days there relaxing.  I feel fitter than I ever have for the past few years so we'll see what happens next Sunday.  Hope everyone's race prep is going well!!

What's your goal for the race?

Qualify for Kona, which likely means a top 4 in the M50-54 AG.....which will require a 10:00 to 10:15 finishing time.  I need to minimize losses on the swim, bike smartly, and if I have no nutrition issues and can get to the run in one piece I feel very strong on the run right now.  You take what the day gives you

That is awesome. Have a great race and best of luck. Most importantly, enjoy.

I am in HI on vacation but doing a 70.3 race this Sat. Just been enjoying the week with family but did manage to preview the bike course and get 2 runs in. Also been surfing every day so I guess that's my swim work. Ocean has been too rough to swim. Thank goodness the race swim is on the other side of the island. Have to check my run gear tomorrow and will try to swim the course.

I feel very good about this race. Should be a lot of fun. Very small field and course should be fast. Flat bike with tailwind. Only issue is heat but it starts at 5:45am so hope to be done with run before too hot. My prediction is 5:15 (:35, 2:44, 1:49) and survive the run. Will report back with results after.

Aloha

2014-08-13 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Qualify for Kona

Epic goal...we're pulling for you. Good luck!
2014-08-13 6:27 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by StevenC

I am in HI on vacation but doing a 70.3 race this Sat.

Weather has been ok since they have had those storms? Best of luck on race day, I think you're ready.
2014-08-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

I am in HI on vacation but doing a 70.3 race this Sat.

Weather has been ok since they have had those storms? Best of luck on race day, I think you're ready.

been great, and hot. and with 2 storms north of us we have gotten some of the best summer surf ever.
2014-08-18 2:15 PM

User image

I will try to post race report later today for my 70.3 on Sat but here is a quick recap. Took a day or so to process. It was definitely a learning experience. This was only my second half race so I still have plenty to learn, particularly pacing.

Swim- was very windy morning so the water was extremely choppy. Since we were going with the current, it was also very fast. interesting course with 2 loops and a .5 run in between. I guess better than trying to swim against current. so 1.05 swim and .5 run and my time was 28.36 so no exactly sure what this means but I was fastest out of the water for M45-49

Bike- again, extremely windy day. first half was mostly cross and second was tailwind. very rough road for most of course but still fast course. I made the big mistake of keeping up with the faster guys. should have stuck with my game plan. definitely blew through all my HR goals. course ended up being a little long, 57.9. They said it would be. Again, I was fastest in my division, tied with the eventually winner at 2:44:20, 21.1 mph. Notice a theme here?

Run- Ok, here is where I paid for going out too hard. I felt ok for first 3.5 miles but legs never seemed to loosen up. by mile 4 both glutes and hamstrings were almost locked up. It was super hot and very windy which made it very hard. At that point I went into survival mode. For a couple miles managed mostly run and some walk but as the miles ticked off, it became more and more walk. Was shooting to go below 1:50 and missed that by over 30 min with a 2:23:06. I still think the rough road played a part but my pacing was most of the issue. Suffice to say, I was very disappointed. The div winner went below 5:00 but I would have been 2nd with even a halfway decent run.

Overall it was a great local race and the inaugural event. only 150 or so competitors and great volunteers. lots of military in the race, always cool to see the marine and navy kits. Hope to to this again next year.
2014-08-18 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Took a day or so to process.

Been waiting for the Strava or BT update! Congrats on the swim and the bike, those are both epic performances, good job. That crosswind had to take something out of you as well? What were the temps throughout the day? In the final analysis...you got to spend the day racing, you are on vacation in Hawaii, spending time with the family...that's a pretty good stuff. This is how my races usually go, hammer the swim and bike then blow up on the run (I'm a pretty poor runner anyway). I've got no words of wisdom for you on that front. But, I'd steal a kid's lunch money to post the times you did, even the run time! You are putting in a lot of hard work; I'm sure you will take away some good lessons from this one and apply those going forward.

2014-08-18 9:54 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Took a day or so to process.

Been waiting for the Strava or BT update! Congrats on the swim and the bike, those are both epic performances, good job. That crosswind had to take something out of you as well? What were the temps throughout the day? In the final analysis...you got to spend the day racing, you are on vacation in Hawaii, spending time with the family...that's a pretty good stuff. This is how my races usually go, hammer the swim and bike then blow up on the run (I'm a pretty poor runner anyway). I've got no words of wisdom for you on that front. But, I'd steal a kid's lunch money to post the times you did, even the run time! You are putting in a lot of hard work; I'm sure you will take away some good lessons from this one and apply those going forward.

Thanks. By the time we got to run it was probably 85 degrees. head winds were probably close to 20 MPH. but being hear a week I am pretty used to heat and humidity. I got too over confident and thought I can push beyond my plan. Was supposed to keep HR in low140s on bike and keep finding myself at about 150. that will do it. lesson learned the hard way. my legs were dead.
2014-08-22 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I've been MIA for far too long, but my IM race is in the books and I can get back to the mentor thread.  Who still has some big races coming up?  What are people's fall activities looking like?  I'll be happy to keep this thread going into the winter in case folks want to discuss off-season training, etc.

2014-08-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've been MIA for far too long, but my IM race is in the books and I can get back to the mentor thread.  Who still has some big races coming up?  What are people's fall activities looking like?  I'll be happy to keep this thread going into the winter in case folks want to discuss off-season training, etc.

Welcome back. I am back on mainland after 2 weeks in HI. Looking to amp up training the next month. Definitely helps to be out of the heat and humidity. I did 7 miles last night and it felt so much easier. I was concerned that it was my fitness.

I have a pretty busy fall schedule.

9/14 Malibu Sprint Tri
10/5 Silverman 70.3
10/26 Surf City 10 mile
11/16 Marvel HM
12/6 HITS Palm Springs 70.3

Edited by StevenC 2014-08-25 4:35 PM
2014-09-14 12:24 PM

User image

ok boys and girls...........

one week from today will be my first Olympic. san diego TriRock. well, actually it will be my first Tri altogether!!! i have felt pretty good in my training, but being one week away, i almost feel i should have signed up for the sprint as my first (thanks ego!)

quesitons for the vets:

thanks to YouTube, i consider myself an expert (ya, right!), but in any case, im asking you guys......... on race day, this being an olympic, what do i want to pack on my bike?

im guessing the essentials, i.e.
water
gel (taped to frame)
spare tube, pump and co2 (under seat bag)

seems too simple a list.

anything else you guys like to carry???
2014-09-15 9:32 AM
in reply to: rramirez1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rramirez1 ok boys and girls........... one week from today will be my first Olympic. san diego TriRock. well, actually it will be my first Tri altogether!!! i have felt pretty good in my training, but being one week away, i almost feel i should have signed up for the sprint as my first (thanks ego!) quesitons for the vets: thanks to YouTube, i consider myself an expert (ya, right!), but in any case, im asking you guys......... on race day, this being an olympic, what do i want to pack on my bike? im guessing the essentials, i.e. water gel (taped to frame) spare tube, pump and co2 (under seat bag) seems too simple a list. anything else you guys like to carry???

Tire levers for changing a flat. 

2014-09-16 7:57 PM

User image

Pro

Things are slowing down quite a bit with fall approaching.  I'd like to keep a mentor thread going and maybe re-title it to something like "winter build mentor group".  I would keep it open to anyone on BT.....any interest in something like that?

2014-09-28 9:44 AM

Me! I just found this! I am looking for an over winter program, just signed up for Honu after a long long break from tris and well, any activity at all. I need to ahem improve my body composition and basically start from scratch. I need all the help I can get. I guess the first step would to see my starting point, I'm thinking 20 mile bike ride at about 15mph, and 14 min miles for a 5k, 1:15 for LSD swimming. I just retired, so have time on my hands, this may be my last hurrah at an IM 70.3, no interest at a full anymore!
2014-09-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: Throwdownmyace

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Throwdownmyace Me! I just found this! I am looking for an over winter program, just signed up for Honu after a long long break from tris and well, any activity at all. I need to ahem improve my body composition and basically start from scratch. I need all the help I can get. I guess the first step would to see my starting point, I'm thinking 20 mile bike ride at about 15mph, and 14 min miles for a 5k, 1:15 for LSD swimming. I just retired, so have time on my hands, this may be my last hurrah at an IM 70.3, no interest at a full anymore!

Thanks for your interest.  Please post a short bio like the one that most folks in this thread did at the beginning.  I will probably re-name the title of the group to see if that sparks interest.  I have a feeling though that many people are burned out from racing season.  Its fine to take a bit of a break but the last thing you want to do is totally lose your hard-earned fitness.  Welcome to the group.

2014-10-09 4:44 PM

User image

Huntington Beach, California
Hi Jim
I just found Beginner Tri on the web...what a great resource! It looks like I'm a little late to the party for the Mentor program...any chance you are taking 'late comers'? Im 51, and just finished my first super-sprint. Im a former Football player and wrestler, and competed in Bodybuilding at the national amateur level. I've always been generally fit, but never had swim, bike or run as one of my 'core' sports. I had back surgery last year and started walking for rehab...early this year I started running with my Daughter and did my first 5K on the 4th of July here in Huntington Beach California...Well, one thing led to another, and here I am...I really enjoyed training for the super sprint and competing...but realized I don't really know what the heck I'm doing...

So, that's my story, I've got a ton of questions and I'm wondering if you might be able to help...I thought the idea of having a group to rely on would be kind of neat as well...but again, I'm guessing I might be too late for that?

would you let me know about your mentee group, or if you have a recco on a better path forward for me?

Thanks Jim

Don
2014-10-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: 3dhb

User image

I have been MIA from the forums for awhile, but have checked back and lurked sometimes. You guys are so great!
I had my first triathlon in September, an Olympic distance. It went amazing, I got 4th place in my age group and had a time of 2:58:58. That race was my practice for my 'A' race which was a 70.3 in October. I really felt like the distances at the Olympic were my peak performances so got pretty nervous about the 70.3.

My training since school started in August has been kind of horrendous. If the race could have been in August I would have been much stronger, but I let my fitness slide big time.

Anyways, last weekend was the big race. Swim went amazing, bike went amazing, fell apart on the run. If only I had kept up my training, this would have been a race that far exceeded expectations in every way. Anyways, my finish time was 6:16:14. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to improve on it.

I've started a blog if anyone wants to check out the full story. http://emilystrijourney.wordpress.com

My big question for all of you much more seasoned triathletes, how do you go about planning races? I can't wait to do more triathlons and improve, but am not sure how many races are realistic for a year.

Thanks in advance!
~Emily

2014-10-14 7:23 AM
in reply to: 3dhb

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3dhb Hi Jim I just found Beginner Tri on the web...what a great resource! It looks like I'm a little late to the party for the Mentor program...any chance you are taking 'late comers'? Im 51, and just finished my first super-sprint. Im a former Football player and wrestler, and competed in Bodybuilding at the national amateur level. I've always been generally fit, but never had swim, bike or run as one of my 'core' sports. I had back surgery last year and started walking for rehab...early this year I started running with my Daughter and did my first 5K on the 4th of July here in Huntington Beach California...Well, one thing led to another, and here I am...I really enjoyed training for the super sprint and competing...but realized I don't really know what the heck I'm doing... So, that's my story, I've got a ton of questions and I'm wondering if you might be able to help...I thought the idea of having a group to rely on would be kind of neat as well...but again, I'm guessing I might be too late for that? would you let me know about your mentee group, or if you have a recco on a better path forward for me? Thanks Jim Don

Hi Don    Yes, we are still open to new folks so start asking any questions you may have.  This mentor forum may get archived for the winter but there should still be a way to keep visiting this thread to ask questions and keep each other motivated over the winter.  Welcome!

2014-12-22 1:14 PM

User image

Pro

I'll be starting a new winter mentor group so anyone that wants to continue from the 2014 thread please join us in the new 2015 winter thread

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31