BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-09-12 6:58 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
Hey Cass

Good Luck for this weekend's tri.

Rod

2014-09-14 6:12 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Everyone seem to be doing well.
I was out all last week after my back went out. Strained muscle and pent up stress, etc.
Short walks then a longer walk on Sunday. Ran tonight oh so slowly, slight back pain for about 10 minutes almost half way through. After that I was okay.

Rebuilding slowly to a regular workout routine is my goal for September.

Sorry about the back as I know what you're going through, but u already know that. Yep getting back in a routine is always the hardest thing to do
2014-09-14 6:16 PM

User image

Hi Turtles

Bad Back must be contagious this week Lovey. I hurt mine doing some landscaping and had to nurse it all week so I could play golf on Sunday. Golf was enjoyable but I was pretty rusty as I hadn't played for 9 months. We came across a 1 metre black snake on the golf course, after that we didn't bother looking for any stray balls that went in the long grass.

Training during the week was very limited due to my back. I've just returned from a jog this morning and pulled up ok so I'll be training this week.

Anna, I had a great Fathers Day last week. My younger son is a personal trainer so I asked him to prepare a stretching program for me as a gift. My older son gave me a sand wedge and some golfing tips.

It's time for me to increase my training intensity in preparation for my first tri in 8 weeks.

Rod

2014-09-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hey Rod and Lovey, hope you heal up quickly and get back into the training groove soon.

I had my 2nd triathlon race this weekend. The race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

It was a great race with a lot of talented athletes. My overall swim was awesome - I averaged about 1 min 30 sec/100 yards. This is 30 seconds faster than my training pace! I cut my corners too tight around the buoys, which is something to think about in the future.

My biggest goof was during transition 1. I was so quick getting ready, it felt like I was at the top of the pack getting out on my bike... only to realize I forgot my helmet and had to go back. By the time I headed out again it was crowded. I must have lost 1.5 minutes.

My bike ride was good for the level of (or lack of) training that I go in. I averaged above 17 mph on a 15 mile hilly course. Definitely a lot of room for improvement during the bike segment in the future. My goal next year will be 20 mph.

My hands were numb during transition 2. I might want to get pull-string shoe laces in the future.

My run went OK. I averaged about 8 min 30 sec/mile. I really wanted to go faster, but my hamstrings were cramping from the bicycle ride.

Awesome, awesome, VERY CHALLENGING, but awesome race. I'm really glad I did it. And since it was in my old home town, a lot of family was there to cheer me on. A great end to my season of racing, but the training will go on!

Edited by cassowary 2014-09-15 9:24 AM
2014-09-15 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

Hey Rod and Lovey, hope you heal up quickly and get back into the training groove soon.

I had my 2nd triathlon race this weekend. The race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

It was a great race with a lot of talented athletes. My overall swim was awesome - I averaged about 1 min 30 sec/100 yards. This is 30 seconds faster than my training pace! I cut my corners too tight around the buoys, which is something to think about in the future.

My biggest goof was during transition 1. I was so quick getting ready, it felt like I was at the top of the pack getting out on my bike... only to realize I forgot my helmet and had to go back. By the time I headed out again it was crowded. I must have lost 1.5 minutes.

My bike ride was good for the level of (or lack of) training that I go in. I averaged above 17 mph on a 15 mile hilly course. Definitely a lot of room for improvement during the bike segment in the future. My goal next year will be 20 mph.

My hands were numb during transition 2. I might want to get pull-string shoe laces in the future.

My run went OK. I averaged about 8 min 30 sec/mile. I really wanted to go faster, but my hamstrings were cramping from the bicycle ride.

Awesome, awesome, VERY CHALLENGING, but awesome race. I'm really glad I did it. And since it was in my old home town, a lot of family was there to cheer me on. A great end to my season of racing, but the training will go on!

Sounds like a super strong showing from where I sit, especially with the injuries and lack of training due to them. What a freaking awesome swim average, I know that you would not have even thought that possible back when. Great Job again Patrick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014-09-16 8:22 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the site in forever. Life has been crazy busy! I did my second race this past weekend which I hadn't trained as hard as I'd liked because of my hectic life. They called it a modified Olympic (.5 / 25 / 3.1) my swim time was awful as was most because of very choppy conditions. I would have never expected the water to be like that and don't know how to train for it without doing open water swim practice in high winds. My last race was open water in a resivoir and very calm. This on took place in the ohio river and took me nearly 30 min to complete the .5 mile swim. I swam most of it on my back. If I tried to freestyle every 3rd of 4th breath a wave would hit me in the face. Oh well I survived it. 40 people started the race. I finished 25 out of 27 finishers. The 13 people who didn't finish bailed on the swim. There was a sprint and duathlon going on at the same time. I passed a dozen or more people on the bike and a couple on the run so I thought I was doing a little better than I was. If it wasn't for the choppy swim that I wasn't mentally or physically prepared for I felt prett good about it.

I will try to stay in touch more and plan I. Swimming a lot over the off season and doing one or two races next year.

2014-09-17 12:35 AM

User image

Great effort & results Patrick, particularly with the limited preparation.

Well done

Rod

Edited by AussieTurtle 2014-09-17 12:36 AM
2014-09-17 7:31 AM

User image

Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Hi everyone. I haven't been on the site in forever. Life has been crazy busy! I did my second race this past weekend which I hadn't trained as hard as I'd liked because of my hectic life. They called it a modified Olympic (.5 / 25 / 3.1) my swim time was awful as was most because of very choppy conditions. I would have never expected the water to be like that and don't know how to train for it without doing open water swim practice in high winds. My last race was open water in a resivoir and very calm. This on took place in the ohio river and took me nearly 30 min to complete the .5 mile swim. I swam most of it on my back. If I tried to freestyle every 3rd of 4th breath a wave would hit me in the face. Oh well I survived it. 40 people started the race. I finished 25 out of 27 finishers. The 13 people who didn't finish bailed on the swim. There was a sprint and duathlon going on at the same time. I passed a dozen or more people on the bike and a couple on the run so I thought I was doing a little better than I was. If it wasn't for the choppy swim that I wasn't mentally or physically prepared for I felt prett good about it.

I will try to stay in touch more and plan I. Swimming a lot over the off season and doing one or two races next year.

Nice job working through the swim. The bicycle and run segment can almost always be completed safely, because no matter how tired you are you can crawl along at a snails pace if need be. But the swim can really put your life on the line! As far as training for chop, I'm not sure. I've noticed that breathing on the side of your body that faces away from the oncoming waves helps me.

Edited by cassowary 2014-09-17 7:32 AM
2014-09-19 1:44 AM

User image

Hi Cass

I was re reading this post and wanted to congratulate you on your swimming. Great achievement to go from half a lap in a pool 12 months ago to 1000 yard open water swims and completing 440 yards in under 7 mins in your latest race.

I'm interested in your feedback regarding the use of a wet suit. Do you think if you used a wet suit in your last swim you'd be warmer from the outset and not experience the problems of being cold for the remainder of the race?

Rod
2014-09-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Hi Rod,

Thanks and great point. While I prefer swimming without the wetsuit, I do think it would have kept my body warmed up for the bike and run segment. I think I was the only one with chattering teeth before the race started. About 80% of the other triathletes had wet suits even though the pond was a warm 73F.

I also wonder if pedaling in a higher gear (higher cadence) would help prevent my feet from going numb. I've had trouble with numb feet on longer rides (>30 miles), but what I felt during this race was a bit extreme for 15 miles.
2014-09-20 5:03 AM

User image

Curious about the numb feet. It could be anything from bad fitting shoes to incorrect bike fit up.

Do you use clip less pedals or strap ins? I was thinking that you may have the straps too tight.

2014-09-21 3:43 AM

User image

Hi Turtles

I've had a good training week and I'm pleased to say my running is improving. I'm even starting to miss having a run on days when it's not on the plan. I need to knuckle down on the swim and bike now.

This week's highlight was signing up for the Gatorade Summer Series (5 races from November 2014 - April 2015). These are "beginner" races and the distance in each race increases each event. As I signed up early I'm entitled to join a training squad for the duration. I'm pretty pleased as the number of positions available was limited.

It's been quiet on the forum. I guess those in the northern hemisphere are starting to wind down. If that's the case what does everybody do in there off season?

Rod
2014-09-23 12:12 PM

User image

I seem to be training harder now during the off-season that I did all summer. Today I ran some nearby soccer fields to do some circuit training (pushups, crunches, lungs, etc...). It's kind of weird training so hard without an event on the horizon, but it feels good to keep pushing myself. Maybe I'll sign up for a 5K run next month to keep myself honest.
2014-09-24 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hey, just checking in.
I have been off all week nursing a sick child.
I did get out for a run on Sunday and Monday. Monday's run was really good and felt great.
Trying to get 3 runs in a week. Last week was a failure but this week seems to be on track.
2014-09-29 7:17 AM

User image

Hmmm, my training log has been erased. Anyone else have that problem today?
2014-09-29 7:38 AM

User image

, New York
Nope. Mine seems to be intact.

2014-09-29 8:28 AM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Mine is back, nevermind.
2014-09-29 10:53 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi everyone, dropping back in after an extended hiatus. Good to see so many people still active! Patrick, congrats on the race, it must feel fantastic to be finishing that one after all the injury issues. Rod, glad to hear the knee is behaving and the running's becoming really enjoyble. Corbet, welcome back, and Lovey, good to hear things are evening out again for you. 

I haven't done a great deal over the past month. A bit of running, a bit of swimming, some core and knee strengthening exercises. Starting to get more enthusiastic about it all again now.

2014-09-29 10:54 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi everyone, dropping back in after an extended hiatus. Good to see so many people still active! Patrick, congrats on the race, it must feel fantastic to be finishing that one after all the injury issues. Rod, glad to hear the knee is behaving and the running's becoming really enjoyble. Corbet, welcome back, and Lovey, good to hear things are evening out again for you. 

I haven't done a great deal over the past month. A bit of running, a bit of swimming, some core and knee strengthening exercises. Starting to get more enthusiastic about it all again now.

2014-09-30 12:21 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

My plan is to develop a strong running base during the off season. I ran 3.2 mi over the weekend and 3.7 mi today. By very gradually increasing my miles, I hope to be able to run a 10K comfortably before the new year.

Next year, I'd like to 1) stay healthy, 2) run an Olympic tri, and 3) run a half marathon.
2014-10-02 4:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well gang I started back at it yesterday and have finally decided where life, work, and finances are going to take me this upcoming year. After taking everything into consideration I have decided that this year is not the year for my first full. I really liked the only Olympic I have done so far and signed up today for one on April 12th. My plan is to do mostly Olympics with a few sprints this year and I will likely pony up the $75 to get into Buffalo Springs Half Ironman that I deferred last year because of my daughter's surgery. I plan on making my training all about racing Olympics, and will then just continue on and do the Half unless vacation plans or life don't allow it. Feel good about the decision and have promised myself that for the first time ever, I will actually find and follow a 20 week plan for the race in April, except when I'm Hunting. Gotta stay true to the other half of my User Name

2014-10-05 5:05 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Good to hear you've settled on a plan Todd. It always makes the road ahead seem clearer!

2014-10-05 5:41 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Hi Turtles

Just about to head off to the pool for my first swim in ages. It will be interesting to see how I go.

I went on a group ride on Saturday for 55 kms. It was a very windy day and the pace varied as our route took us through some isolated and then densely populated areas. I was happy with my ride and I felt a lot stronger than I did 6 months ago.

My running continues to improve and I owe this to my new Hoka running shoes. They have extra padding and absorb a lot of the shock which enables me to run on consecutive days; something I couldn't do before due to knee pain.

Hope you all had a good week.

Rod
2014-10-06 4:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My goal for September was to get back to consistent workouts regardless of distance. Some weeks were ok but I still missed a lot.
However, it did get my motivation up. So far, October is off to a good start and I hope to keep it up.

Keeping my running distance short for now, 3 to 4 miles and aiming for 3 or 4 runs a week, I am following Runkeeper's Running 4 Fat Loss 8 week program.
Swimming 2-3x a week. My Developmental Masters Swim class new year (season) started last Saturday so I am official back in the pool since I left in mid-July.
I will eventually start doing spin classes but right now, running and swimming are my focus.

I also just posted an "October PEACH Challenge" on the challenge forum for those who want to join me.

2014-10-06 2:00 PM

User image

Been awhile since I last posted, but finished my last tri of the season. 3rd tri overall. Man the weather was cold! Swim wave started at 8AM and temp was 39 F degrees at the start of the wave. Water was a brisk 66 F. The bike section was very tough and long for a sprint (21.5 miles) lots of hills and the run had an uphill section almost 1 1/2 miles. Finished in 2:31. Bike and run really suffered. I exited the water 12th overall and exited the bike 58 overall. Finished 59th out of 100 or so.
So with that, I need more saddle time and need to vastly improve my bike. I am getting the biked tuned up this week, and will ride when weather permits, but it it might be time to get a bike trainer and park it front of the TV and ride that during the winter. Once I get the bike squared away, this will improve my time, but I also need to start training for longer distances.
My goal at the beginning was to compete and complete a tri. Mission accomplished, now to move on to the Olympic and Half Iron distances with a goal to do a Half Iron in Sept.2015.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.