BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2014-05-14 5:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
GROUP FOCUS: Sprints, 5K, 10K, this group will be geared more towards those with limited to no experience to get you through your Sprint, 5K, 10K, group bike ride, or whatever challenge you issue to yourself.

NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd

STORY: I'm a 35-39 age grouper (38) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years). I used swimming, cycling, and running to help me through the cravings, and to improve my health. I completed my first Sprint a little more than two months later, then a fifty mile bike ride a month after that, a few more sprints, and then completed the Houston Marathon just a little after my one year smoke free mark. I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for over four years now, and will never even take a puff off another cigarette as long as I live. I have chosen to make Triathlon a life style and compete for the enjoyment. I'm not going to say that I never look where I finish, but I compete against myself and care more about the journey along the way. I am not a trainer nor a doctor, but do find great joy and satisfaction through the hard work and accomplishment of others.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 13 years, with one beautiful (Spoiled Rotten) daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Try my hardest to get in three swims, three bikes, and three runs per week. (short, medium, long)

2013 RACES: I completed my first Olympic in Dallas, and my first Half Ironman in Racine, Wisconsin. I also completed other running and cycling events as well but concentrated more on working towards the Half.

2014 RACES: I plan on completing what I call the Texas Triple, which consist of all three Half Ironman that are offered in Texas. (Galveston - April *Done 5:58:14), Buffalo Springs - June, and Austin - October) I will mix in some other events during the training year as well for motivation and training.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am lucky in this category and have never had an issue with my weight. I do want to lower my body fat % and become leaner, but that will come with training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: As stated above, I enjoy the accomplishments of others, whether they are small or large, because the accomplishment is relative to the individual and should be celebrated. I enjoy interacting with others to keep them motivated and positive about the goals they have set and the positive path they are on. I will make sure to answer any and all questions you have and if I do not know the answer I will do the research and get you the answer. I have been able to make friends through BT with very knowledgeable people who can help me if I need it. I will be there to send out inspires, challenge the group, and keep everyone logging and active. While I am not the most experienced, I am very passionate about this sport and people who are trying to make a change in their life.

Group Rules / Request: I am searching for those subjects that will participate in this group through logging their workouts, questions / comments in the thread, and by inspiring others in the group. No goal is to small for this group and will be celebrated as an accomplishment. We will all work to motivate each other and maintain a positive group. No arguments / discussion about Politics, Religion, Gun Control, and the like topics that tend to inflame others. You are free to take that to Cup of Joe. We can speak of things none Tri related but they should not be negative in any way. I just want a good group that communicates, works out, and enjoys the journey towards their goals.

In case you are wondering "Turtles" has to do with moving at whatever pace is necessary to accomplish the goals that are set. Speed is not an issue in this group, if you have it great, if you don't have it great, it makes no difference.

Note: There will likely be at least 4 or 5 from past groups (will not count towards the 15 or so in this group) that will pop in to say hi, motivate, inspire, and help push you towards your goals. Trust me when I say that they feel as I do about this sport and the journey it takes you on.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-06-02 1:22 PM

2014-05-16 8:11 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K)
Hi Todd

I'd like to rejoin Todd's Tri Turtles. I find the forum a great way to stay focused by learning from others and sharing experiences.

I made a new year resolution to complete a triathlon this year and I'm aiming to complete my first event in October. The Turtles are a great group and I hope the "regulars" rejoin.

I'm semi retired, working 6 months a year. When I'm working I find it difficult to find time to train when my work load peaks but I'm able to do 2 training sessions a day otherwise. I haven't been too active for many years but started cycling last year and completed a 100 km charity ride. I'm an ordinary swimmer and runner but slowly getting better/stronger/faster each week.

I really enjoy training and working up a sweat and can't wait to complete my first race.

Rod
(Aussie Turtle)
2014-05-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Todd

I'd like to rejoin Todd's Tri Turtles. I find the forum a great way to stay focused by learning from others and sharing experiences.

I made a new year resolution to complete a triathlon this year and I'm aiming to complete my first event in October. The Turtles are a great group and I hope the "regulars" rejoin.

I'm semi retired, working 6 months a year. When I'm working I find it difficult to find time to train when my work load peaks but I'm able to do 2 training sessions a day otherwise. I haven't been too active for many years but started cycling last year and completed a 100 km charity ride. I'm an ordinary swimmer and runner but slowly getting better/stronger/faster each week.

I really enjoy training and working up a sweat and can't wait to complete my first race.

Rod
(Aussie Turtle)

Of course you can rejoin and keep working towards that First Tri. Now we just need to get some other takers to come along with us.
2014-05-18 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Test post. I was informed that people are having problems posting.
2014-05-19 5:54 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi Todd, I'd like to sign up again too . I'll post a new bio once I prise my other half off the pc (yep, been having troubles posting from my tablet too).

2014-05-19 8:06 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great to have you back for another round.

2014-05-19 8:48 AM

User image

I'm interested in joining. I was in the gray guys/girls group the past 6 mths, but figure it can't hurt to mix it up a little.

My name is Kristen and I'm a new triathlete, as of this year. My triathlon age is 47
I'm married with 2 teens at home, work full time as a nurse and use my days off to workout 3-4 days a week.

I started running almost 4 years ago, going from a regular walker to a runner, and started racing from then on. Since then, I've competed in many 5k's, 10k's, a 15k, 6 half marathons, and one dualthon(run/swim/run) until 2014. This year I decided to decrease my running races and train for a sprint triathlon, which I completed in April. I met my goal of under 2 hours (1:59). I have progressed with my swimming, so that I feel adequate, but not fast. My bike is a still a fat tired mountain/hybrid bike, as I don't have money for a new road bike yet, and my running has been slowing lately-feeling a bit burnt out, so I've cut back some and tried to rest more when I feel like I need it. My run pace is anywhere from 10:20-11:20 avg.depending on the distance and temperature.
I am not registered for another sprint tri yet, but I intend to do another one later this summer or early fall. I live in Florida and the heat is already hitting hard.
I could use some help planning my training to possibly increase my speed in all 3 areas, without killing myself.
I'm not a big talker, so I don't post a lot, unless I have something to say, but I do post all my workouts in my training log and read the forum regularly.
I'd like to lean up some, meaning losing 5 pounds or so. I love to eat and it makes it hard to lose the last little bit. This past week i've been eating less carbs and it's working for me, but I feel drained by the afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting new triathletes, Kristen
2014-05-19 2:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kris67

I'm interested in joining. I was in the gray guys/girls group the past 6 mths, but figure it can't hurt to mix it up a little.

My name is Kristen and I'm a new triathlete, as of this year. My triathlon age is 47
I'm married with 2 teens at home, work full time as a nurse and use my days off to workout 3-4 days a week.

I started running almost 4 years ago, going from a regular walker to a runner, and started racing from then on. Since then, I've competed in many 5k's, 10k's, a 15k, 6 half marathons, and one dualthon(run/swim/run) until 2014. This year I decided to decrease my running races and train for a sprint triathlon, which I completed in April. I met my goal of under 2 hours (1:59). I have progressed with my swimming, so that I feel adequate, but not fast. My bike is a still a fat tired mountain/hybrid bike, as I don't have money for a new road bike yet, and my running has been slowing lately-feeling a bit burnt out, so I've cut back some and tried to rest more when I feel like I need it. My run pace is anywhere from 10:20-11:20 avg.depending on the distance and temperature.
I am not registered for another sprint tri yet, but I intend to do another one later this summer or early fall. I live in Florida and the heat is already hitting hard.
I could use some help planning my training to possibly increase my speed in all 3 areas, without killing myself.
I'm not a big talker, so I don't post a lot, unless I have something to say, but I do post all my workouts in my training log and read the forum regularly.
I'd like to lean up some, meaning losing 5 pounds or so. I love to eat and it makes it hard to lose the last little bit. This past week i've been eating less carbs and it's working for me, but I feel drained by the afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting new triathletes, Kristen

Kristen, welcome to the group and a few new friends / virtual training partners. I noticed that you do a great job of logging and are consistent with your workouts. Be quite when you wish and vocal when you wish.

As far as increasing speed, the simpliest / best advice I can give is to add time / distance slowly to each and you will see your speed increase. I found that for me especially with cycling the single biggest thing that helped me with speed / endurance on the bike was training by heart rate. The more I trained the better my heart rate got, which allowed me to work harder, which in turned raised my speed and greatly improved how I felt coming off the bike for the run.

Again, welcome to the Turtles

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2014-05-19 2:13 PM
2014-05-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi Todd

I'd like to rejoin Todd's Tri Turtles. Here is my bio again with some updated info.

NAME: Lovey/Tracy

STORY: I was in this group last two rounds of mentoring. I can't say enough about the support and encouragement I received.
Over the past 5 years, I have done maybe 3 triathlons, 1 duathlon and dozens of road races (5ks, 10Ks, 10 milers, half mary's and 1 marathon). I was pulled from my first sprint triathlon but that just motivated me to finish that race the following year. Running is my preference. I started this journey to get in shape and found my love of running. I took most of 2012 off after shattering my ankle in a bike crash. After surgery, 8 screws and a plate in my ankle, I took 2013 to start my journey over. Running a mile was an accomplishment!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys, 15 and 11 years old who are super active.

CURRENT TRAINING: I was following a custom BT training plan but plan to revamp my training plan to be swim focused since I suck at it. Also working on being consistent with my workouts.

2013 RACES: After getting back into running slowly, I did one road 5K, one trail 5K (hated it), a 10K and 5 miler.

2014 RACES: Completed a sprint triathlon (pool swim) in April 2014 and did an OWS (open water swim) practice early May where we swam about 1100 yards. Currently registered for a sprint duathlon and triathlon (open water) both in August.

WEIGHTLOSS: I race as an Athena and will likely stay there. However, I would like to be a smaller Athena. Goal is to eat healthy, get lean and lose 30 pounds. I use My Fitness Pal to track my eating and lost 20 pounds over the 12months. I stopped tracking and so did my weight loss. I will start tracking again.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Accountability. I want to both give and receive encouragement and support.
I started this year scared to get on my bike without a panic attack. Garnering support from this group and its awesome mentor (Go Todd!), I gained the courage to not only move past my fear but complete a sprint triathlon. I signed up 3 days before the race! Reading every ones posts about accomplishments and disappointments makes you take a step back and look at your own plan. Doing so made me realize I can run without running a half marathon and so decided to stay with the shorter mileage (10K) at least for the foreseeable future. We learn so much from each other. We push each other sometimes even without knowing.

2014-05-19 8:43 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Hi Todd and other Tri Turtles:

About 5 years ago I thought about doing a tri, except that I'm not a swimmer. I talked myself out of it. After the events of the past year, I was forced to get into the pool and learn how to swim. Then, I volunteered at IronMan WI. The entire time I kept thinking, "I might be able to do this someday!" Considering I've never done a tri and I'm not a strong swimmer, that's kind of a pipe dream. However, we all have to start somewhere. I'm thinking this is the perfect time for me to get my feet wet, literally and metaphorically.

NAME: GimpyRUNR/Jenni

STORY: Last April, while running the London Marathon, I slipped on a discarded water bottle and landed hard on my left hip. I jumped up and continued running with some pain, but thought it was just a pulled muscle. Wrong. It was a fractured greater trochanter. I managed to run another 5 miles or so before the pain became unbearable. I did not want to quit, but they had to carry me off the course...I didn't fly all the way over there to not make it to the finish. I made it to mile 13. Grrrrr...

Long story longer, I flew home and had three screws put in my left hip. I rehabed that and was finally ready to start a return to running program last December. Wrong! One of those screws managed to work its way out of my bone and my IT band was being plucked like a guitar string with every step. Bursitis reared its ugly head and I limped my way through day to day life for a few months. Had surgery 8 weeks ago to get the screws removed. Great decision! My hip finally feels normal. No running for six months, though. That means I need to cross train and take it easy while I rebuild my strength. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to train for a tri! I head back to the doc tomorrow for x-rays and a check up. I'm hopeful that he will clear me to up the exercise a bit.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 14 years with one daughter (age 11).

CURRENT TRAINING: A little power walking, light weight training, and core work, but nothing consistent.

Pre-2013: Completed several duathlons (run-bike-run), shorter road races, numerous half-marathons and 3 marathons; completed the Birkie Classic in 2009 (never again...childbirth was easier).

2013 RACES: Failed attempt at the London Marathon.

2014 RACES: Need to choose a mini-sprint or sprint and register!

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight is up and down, especially with the seasons. All this sitting on my buttocks has resulted in about a 10 pound gain and I can't seem to shake it with diet alone. I'd love to lose 10-15 pounds, but more importantly, be able to fit into my clothes that no longer fit correctly.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Advice, camaraderie, encouragement, accountability :-)

Jenni
Update 5/20/2014: Doc says my hip x-rays look great and I can start adding more exercise. He says if I want to start a "slow return" to running in another month, he'd thinks I will be just fine. At this point, I think I'll stick to power walking and see how it feels through the summer. Don't want to take any chances, but it really is tough not to break into a run when I'm out walking.

Edited by GimpyRUNR 2014-05-20 9:28 PM
2014-05-20 12:24 AM
in reply to: #4996333

Grand Junction, Colorado
Completed my sprint on Sunday! Thanks Todd and everyone for the help and tips. Next up... Olympic I spose!

2014-05-20 8:53 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Hi Todd

I'd like to rejoin Todd's Tri Turtles. Here is my bio again with some updated info.

NAME: Lovey/Tracy

STORY: I was in this group last two rounds of mentoring. I can't say enough about the support and encouragement I received.
Over the past 5 years, I have done maybe 3 triathlons, 1 duathlon and dozens of road races (5ks, 10Ks, 10 milers, half mary's and 1 marathon). I was pulled from my first sprint triathlon but that just motivated me to finish that race the following year. Running is my preference. I started this journey to get in shape and found my love of running. I took most of 2012 off after shattering my ankle in a bike crash. After surgery, 8 screws and a plate in my ankle, I took 2013 to start my journey over. Running a mile was an accomplishment!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 boys, 15 and 11 years old who are super active.

CURRENT TRAINING: I was following a custom BT training plan but plan to revamp my training plan to be swim focused since I suck at it. Also working on being consistent with my workouts.

2013 RACES: After getting back into running slowly, I did one road 5K, one trail 5K (hated it), a 10K and 5 miler.

2014 RACES: Completed a sprint triathlon (pool swim) in April 2014 and did an OWS (open water swim) practice early May where we swam about 1100 yards. Currently registered for a sprint duathlon and triathlon (open water) both in August.

WEIGHTLOSS: I race as an Athena and will likely stay there. However, I would like to be a smaller Athena. Goal is to eat healthy, get lean and lose 30 pounds. I use My Fitness Pal to track my eating and lost 20 pounds over the 12months. I stopped tracking and so did my weight loss. I will start tracking again.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Accountability. I want to both give and receive encouragement and support.
I started this year scared to get on my bike without a panic attack. Garnering support from this group and its awesome mentor (Go Todd!), I gained the courage to not only move past my fear but complete a sprint triathlon. I signed up 3 days before the race! Reading every ones posts about accomplishments and disappointments makes you take a step back and look at your own plan. Doing so made me realize I can run without running a half marathon and so decided to stay with the shorter mileage (10K) at least for the foreseeable future. We learn so much from each other. We push each other sometimes even without knowing.

Of course you are welcome again. It just wouldn't feel right to have a group without the 2 Tracy's. I am also very proud of you that you have come to the realization that your success / accomplishments are not measured by distance. Keep working hard.
2014-05-20 8:57 PM
in reply to: GimpyRUNR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GimpyRUNR

Hi Todd and other Tri Turtles:

About 5 years ago I thought about doing a tri, except that I'm not a swimmer. I talked myself out of it. After the events of the past year, I was forced to get into the pool and learn how to swim. Then, I volunteered at IronMan WI. The entire time I kept thinking, "I might be able to do this someday!" Considering I've never done a tri and I'm not a strong swimmer, that's kind of a pipe dream. However, we all have to start somewhere. I'm thinking this is the perfect time for me to get my feet wet, literally and metaphorically.

NAME: GimpyRUNR/Jenni

STORY: Last April, while running the London Marathon, I slipped on a discarded water bottle and landed hard on my left hip. I jumped up and continued running with some pain, but thought it was just a pulled muscle. Wrong. It was a fractured greater trochanter. I managed to run another 5 miles or so before the pain became unbearable. I did not want to quit, but they had to carry me off the course...I didn't fly all the way over there to not make it to the finish. I made it to mile 13. Grrrrr...

Long story longer, I flew home and had three screws put in my left hip. I rehabed that and was finally ready to start a return to running program last December. Wrong! One of those screws managed to work its way out of my bone and my IT band was being plucked like a guitar string with every step. Bursitis reared its ugly head and I limped my way through day to day life for a few months. Had surgery 8 weeks ago to get the screws removed. Great decision! My hip finally feels normal. No running for six months, though. That means I need to cross train and take it easy while I rebuild my strength. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to train for a tri! I head back to the doc tomorrow for x-rays and a check up. I'm hopeful that he will clear me to up the exercise a bit.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 14 years with one daughter (age 11).

CURRENT TRAINING: A little power walking, light weight training, and core work, but nothing consistent.

Pre-2013: Completed several duathlons (run-bike-run), shorter road races, numerous half-marathons and 3 marathons; completed the Birkie Classic in 2009 (never again...childbirth was easier).

2013 RACES: Failed attempt at the London Marathon.

2014 RACES: Need to choose a mini-sprint or sprint and register!

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight is up and down, especially with the seasons. All this sitting on my buttocks has resulted in about a 10 pound gain and I can't seem to shake it with diet alone. I'd love to lose 10-15 pounds, but more importantly, be able to fit into my clothes that no longer fit correctly.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Advice, camaraderie, encouragement, accountability :-)

Jenni

Welcome to the group Jenni and know that I am glad to have you. I hope that all went well at the Doc and he lets you pick things up, but if he doesn't don't get discouraged. Do what you can and it will come with time. You can do a sprint and your Marathon experience will carry you a lot farther then you might think. You can do the swim and will complete your first sprint. There are tricks to use and certain events that are better then others for a person in your situation. First tip is to start looking for a triathlon with a pool swim. You only have to swim one length at a time, the walls and ropes are always there, and you have the knowledge that help is always right there. You will gain confidence with each and every swim workout you complete. Again welcome to the group and the ride.
2014-05-20 9:00 PM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbrassette

Completed my sprint on Sunday! Thanks Todd and everyone for the help and tips. Next up... Olympic I spose!

Congrats on the Tri. You put in the work and you earned it and I know you can knock out an Olympic if you set your mind to it. I mean it is only double the distance of what you just did. Do you care to share your experiences at the Tri with the group? Thoughts, went you were surprised by, what went well, what didn't, what you learned, what you know for next time?
2014-05-20 9:24 PM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

Great job on completing your first tri on Sunday.

Love to read all about it , look forward to your race report.

Rod
2014-05-20 9:55 PM

User image

, Ontario
Hi Todd,

I am interested in joining your group.

Background: Married 47 yr old mother of 4 (3 teenagers and one tween) working full-time in heath care education, and am currently finishing a graduate degree. I have always been active... and an on again off again gym member... an occasional runner... but have let things slide the last several years as I've been busy spending my days working and my evenings driving kids to their competitive sporting and other activities (leave the house at 7am and don't arrive back at home until 930 most evenings). But alas... their seasons are winding down... and I now have free time opening up and I can once again pursue my interests and goals (yay!!!).

Me: I tend to be a positive, optimistic, overachiever, straight shooter, peacemaker type of person. My background in critical care has made me a very pragmatic, realistic and forgiving person!

Fitness: Sadly not a lot happening these days. Currently I do a one hour spin class 2-3 times a month, yoga 2-3 times a month, run (run/walk) a few times a month. I have always wanted to do a triathlon... and have always planned to start with a sprint. I do have some weight to lose... so perhaps this can be a side benefit (I am a good 40 lbs from my weight at my most fit - 20 years ago ... but my primary goal here would not be weight loss... that would simply be a happy coincidence). I am looking at the 12 week couch to sprint plan.

Races 2013: 5 Km race for The Cure (like a fool I did not train for this ... finished in just under 48 minutes)

Race Plans 2014: Sprint Triathlon end of August, beginning of September (Either Guelph or Wasaga Beach... depending on kids sporting schedules)

What I hope to get from belonging to the Turtles: A group to be accountable to. Some feedback and maybe guidance, encouragement... and to share the same. I want to complete my first sprint in late august or early September.

I hope you will consider letting me jump aboard!

Jean

Edited by jardella 2014-05-24 11:28 AM

2014-05-21 8:10 AM
in reply to: jardella

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jardella

Hi Todd,

I am interested in joining your group.

Background: Married 47 yr old mother of 4 (3 teenagers and one tween) working full-time in heath care education, and am currently finishing a graduate degree. I have always been active... and an on again off again gym member... an occasional runner... but have let things slide the last several years as I've been busy spending my days working and my evenings driving kids to their competitive sporting and other activities (leave the house at 7am and don't arrive back at home until 930 most evenings). But alas... their seasons are winding down... and I now have free time opening up and I can once again pursue my interests and goals (yay!!!).

Me: I tend to be a positive, optimistic, overachiever, straight shooter, peacemaker type of person. My background in critical care has made me a very pragmatic, realistic and forgiving person!

Fitness: Sadly not a lot happening these days. Currently I do a one hour spin class 2-3 times a month, yoga 2-3 times a month, run (run/walk) a few times a month. I have always wanted to do a triathlon... and have always planned to start with a sprint. I do have some weight to lose... so perhaps this can be a side benefit (I am a good 40 lbs from my weight at my most fit - 20 years ago ... but my primary goal here would not be weight loss... that would simply be a happy coincidence). I am looking at the 12 week couch to sprint plan.

What I hope to get from belonging to the Turtles: A group to be accountable to. Some feedback and maybe guidance, encouragement... and to share the same. I want to complete my first sprint in late august or early September.

I hope you will consider letting me jump aboard!

Jean

Welcome to the Turtles and back to a healthier lifestyle. Please don't be a one and done Last group I think I had 6 people make there first post into the group and then never even log back into BT much less post to the group. I need you to break that trend Jean. On a more serious note, your time table and choice of a training plan seems to be very reasonable. Also, you are right about the weightless, because consistent workouts will certainly lower you weight. Again welcome to the group.
2014-05-21 9:32 AM

NAME: Shane Hurley

STORY: Last summer I weighed in at 244. I felt terrible and was disgusted with myself. I started dieting and counting calories. I use fitday.com to track my calories. I bought a fitbit and tracked the amount of steps per day. Eventually walking turned into running and I started to enjoy it. I was at the gym one day after running on the treadmill and saw a poster advertisement for a local triathlon. I figured why not. So I bought a bike, and started to swim too. So here I am today. I started actually training like a triathlete about a month ago. It feels good so far, just need to increase speed and distance. Ohh, I am I am 37 years old.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids (11,6)

CURRENT TRAINING: I derived my own training routine from looking at routines on this website. I currently swim 4 mornings a week (I had never really swam before a month ago), bike 2-3 times per week and run 2-3 times per week. My current run pace is 10.15 per mile. The most I have ran is 6 miles. My bike pace is about 15-16mph over 24 miles. The hills of East Texas get me. I don't know my swim pace. I can swim 250m without stopping now, and I currently do about 800m total per morning and increasing it every few weeks.

2013 RACES: My wife and I did a 5k but walked it.

2014 RACES: I would like to do a sprint tri this year. and work towards doing an Oly. sometime afterwards (maybe next year)

WEIGHTLOSS: I currently weigh 180 so weight loss is not a goal. I am 6'0 tall.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Training ideas, support, and just a community. I have never joined a group like this so I am really unsure. I hope a lot!!!!!

So if you would have me in the group, I would love to join. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Shane

Edited by shanehurley497 2014-05-21 2:22 PM
2014-05-21 11:13 AM

User image

, New York
Hi Everyone,

NAME: Matt

STORY: I'm 43 and am trying to be more conscious regarding my health. My "claim to fame"? Not everyone can say they have something in common with Lance Armstrong - but I do! Unfortunately it was the same type of cancer. :-0 That was in 2012 and I can say that I'm better shape now than I was then. At 5' 6" tall I'm still a bit portly at 163 pounds (winter was rough in central new york) but have made some great progress since getting "back on the wagon" this spring. I've never done a tri before but I grew up swimming all summer in local lakes, tried the HS swim team for a while and even got my life guarding certificate. Biking has never been my thing (unless it had a motor)... raced some motocross and harescrambes as teen and loved it. I NEVER thought of myself as a runner but my wife started 4 years ago or so with her sister so I started too and really enjoyed each new distance I achieved. While I have never competed in a 1/2 marathon I've run up to 14 miles and lived to tell about it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two teen age daughters - and am just getting to the point where there's time enough to do something silly like a tri.

CURRENT TRAINING: Used the dreadmill intermittently during the winter. Been running consistently 3x per week since the beginning of April. Joined a local tri training program through FleetFeet in late April. Currently I am running about 18 miles/week (3 five mile runs plus one more after a bike ride), swimming 3 times a week (lap swimming ~ 2400 yards and one night with the fleet feet group doing drills) and biking about 28 miles/week (one hard/hilly 18 ride by myself and one training session with FF).

2014 RACES: Have not picked one out yet. Probably going to go with the Cazenovia Tri for my 1st race (http://cnytriathlon.org/cazenovia-triathlon/).

WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah, not much. I've dropped from 165 to 163 since April. :-/

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Inspiration!
2014-05-21 2:12 PM

User image

Hi Todd, I'd like to rejoin your group please!

STORY: I am a married 33-year old father of two girls (Molly =10 months and Nora = 4.5 years) and I live in Rhode Island. I started training for a triathlon in January of this year and my first sprint tri is in 10 days! I'm very excited, but I'm also worried as I'm still recovering from a calf injury. And today the sole of my bicycle shoe tore off completely during my ride - Ha, so I have my ups and downs, but I love to keep going.

CURRENT TRAINING: Alternate swim, bicycle, and running workouts 5 days per week.

2014 RACES: At least two sprint triathlons, and maybe 1 Olympic triathlon.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Tips and techniques, but most of all camaraderie.
2014-05-21 2:19 PM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Hello all:

I would like to join if still open.Some background:

My name is Mike and I am 43 years old and married with no children.

Last March I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and weighed in at a whopping 288 Lbs. My BP was measured at that time at 160/110, and I had high cholesterol levels. My doctor gave me 2 choices: Insulin and Metformin, or diet and exercise. I choose the latter, and have currently dropped 115 Lbs, and have normal BG levels and a BP of 89/56. I always remember watching highlights of IM Kona as a kid and always wanting to do a triathlon. Now that I am living my "second life", that goal is a reality.

I have signed up for my first sprint tri in June, but have been training since January. I am looking for training tips and what others have done to prepare and also to get better once I hopefully catch the bug (I don't want to be a one and done either). Admittedly I am bad at logging my workouts, but I want to improve that as well, since it will help me in the long run (no pun intended).

Thanks and look forward to hearing from everyone in the group.

2014-05-21 6:44 PM
in reply to: shanehurley497

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by shanehurley497

NAME: Shane Hurley

STORY: Last summer I weighed in at 244. I felt terrible and was disgusted with myself. I started dieting and counting calories. I use fitday.com to track my calories. I bought a fitbit and tracked the amount of steps per day. Eventually walking turned into running and I started to enjoy it. I was at the gym one day after running on the treadmill and saw a poster advertisement for a local triathlon. I figured why not. So I bought a bike, and started to swim too. So here I am today. I started actually training like a triathlete about a month ago. It feels good so far, just need to increase speed and distance. Ohh, I am I am 37 years old.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 kids (11,6)

CURRENT TRAINING: I derived my own training routine from looking at routines on this website. I currently swim 4 mornings a week (I had never really swam before a month ago), bike 2-3 times per week and run 2-3 times per week. My current run pace is 10.15 per mile. The most I have ran is 6 miles. My bike pace is about 15-16mph over 24 miles. The hills of East Texas get me. I don't know my swim pace. I can swim 250m without stopping now, and I currently do about 800m total per morning and increasing it every few weeks.

2013 RACES: My wife and I did a 5k but walked it.

2014 RACES: I would like to do a sprint tri this year. and work towards doing an Oly. sometime afterwards (maybe next year)

WEIGHTLOSS: I currently weigh 180 so weight loss is not a goal. I am 6'0 tall.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Training ideas, support, and just a community. I have never joined a group like this so I am really unsure. I hope a lot!!!!!

So if you would have me in the group, I would love to join. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Shane

Welcome to the group and congrats on the weight loss and work you have already put in. From one Texan to another it's about to get hot, which makes those hills worse, but makes you stronger!
2014-05-21 6:49 PM
in reply to: mbcoulter

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbcoulter

Hi Everyone,

NAME: Matt

STORY: I'm 43 and am trying to be more conscious regarding my health. My "claim to fame"? Not everyone can say they have something in common with Lance Armstrong - but I do! Unfortunately it was the same type of cancer. :-0 That was in 2012 and I can say that I'm better shape now than I was then. At 5' 6" tall I'm still a bit portly at 163 pounds (winter was rough in central new york) but have made some great progress since getting "back on the wagon" this spring. I've never done a tri before but I grew up swimming all summer in local lakes, tried the HS swim team for a while and even got my life guarding certificate. Biking has never been my thing (unless it had a motor)... raced some motocross and harescrambes as teen and loved it. I NEVER thought of myself as a runner but my wife started 4 years ago or so with her sister so I started too and really enjoyed each new distance I achieved. While I have never competed in a 1/2 marathon I've run up to 14 miles and lived to tell about it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two teen age daughters - and am just getting to the point where there's time enough to do something silly like a tri.

CURRENT TRAINING: Used the dreadmill intermittently during the winter. Been running consistently 3x per week since the beginning of April. Joined a local tri training program through FleetFeet in late April. Currently I am running about 18 miles/week (3 five mile runs plus one more after a bike ride), swimming 3 times a week (lap swimming ~ 2400 yards and one night with the fleet feet group doing drills) and biking about 28 miles/week (one hard/hilly 18 ride by myself and one training session with FF).

2014 RACES: Have not picked one out yet. Probably going to go with the Cazenovia Tri for my 1st race (http://cnytriathlon.org/cazenovia-triathlon/).

WEIGHTLOSS: Yeah, not much. I've dropped from 165 to 163 since April. :-/

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Inspiration!

Welcome to the group Matt. What you've already beat is much harder then Triathlon and I'm sure has given you an outlook that most can't obtain. Work at it and you'll be knocking out a Tri in no time. Again welcome .
2014-05-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

Hi Todd, I'd like to rejoin your group please!

STORY: I am a married 33-year old father of two girls (Molly =10 months and Nora = 4.5 years) and I live in Rhode Island. I started training for a triathlon in January of this year and my first sprint tri is in 10 days! I'm very excited, but I'm also worried as I'm still recovering from a calf injury. And today the sole of my bicycle shoe tore off completely during my ride - Ha, so I have my ups and downs, but I love to keep going.

CURRENT TRAINING: Alternate swim, bicycle, and running workouts 5 days per week.

2014 RACES: At least two sprint triathlons, and maybe 1 Olympic triathlon.

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Tips and techniques, but most of all camaraderie.

More then welcome in again, and how pumped are you for next weekend. You can't be upset about the shoe because now the wife cant get mad about you getting a new pair
2014-05-21 6:56 PM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Mr10670

Hello all:

I would like to join if still open.Some background:

My name is Mike and I am 43 years old and married with no children.

Last March I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and weighed in at a whopping 288 Lbs. My BP was measured at that time at 160/110, and I had high cholesterol levels. My doctor gave me 2 choices: Insulin and Metformin, or diet and exercise. I choose the latter, and have currently dropped 115 Lbs, and have normal BG levels and a BP of 89/56. I always remember watching highlights of IM Kona as a kid and always wanting to do a triathlon. Now that I am living my "second life", that goal is a reality.

I have signed up for my first sprint tri in June, but have been training since January. I am looking for training tips and what others have done to prepare and also to get better once I hopefully catch the bug (I don't want to be a one and done either). Admittedly I am bad at logging my workouts, but I want to improve that as well, since it will help me in the long run (no pun intended).

Thanks and look forward to hearing from everyone in the group.

Mike welcome to the group and congrats on the weight loss and changing your life. Logging while a pain can help to motivate you and tell you where you are. It also gives you a sense of accomplishments when you look at your monthly totals. For training, look at what others do, and look at multiple plans and you will find what works. Again welcome
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.