BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 23

2014-11-02 4:48 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed
Hi Turtles

In my home town of Melbourne we have a saying: "If you don't like the weather wait an hour because it will change". The weather here this week has varied a lot from warm, sunny spring days to cold, windy winter like days. This really impacts training, particularly the open water swim. On Thursday we trained in the bay in fairly choppy conditions but if you race in it you must train in it. We had another swim scheduled for Saturday but it was too rough so we went for a run and practiced T1 drills. I'm training with a group now and I'm doing more & training smarter. It's a real benefit.

The challenge I have is that I need to build my endurance and balance that with adequate rest between sessions so I don't get to the starting line feeling tired or stressing out my body. Has anybody else been through this? If so, how did you find the right balance?

Rod

2014-11-03 7:15 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

I set a new 5K PR over the weekend with a time of 22 min 27 sec. It was a great race. The first half was trail running, which was new to me, but a lot of fun darting around trees and over bridges. I felt like my pace (7 min 14 sec/ mi) was fairly solid throughout. I think this will be my last run of the year - but I plan to keep the daily training up.

Rod - I doubled my training time last month and I'm building up my endurance as well. I noticed that I had notably less energy per workout over the first couple of weeks, so I adjusted my pace accordingly. For instance I usually run 8 min miles, but instead I as running 9 or 9.5 min miles. Now I'm feeling a lot stronger. Keep up the great workout routine.
2014-11-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
First off Patrick congrats on the PR but then again I called it before you told us

Rod, what Patrick said is very correct. Not everything needs to be at or near high intensity. Some of training just strictly needs to be about covering a distance / time with limited effort. A lot of this is why I do so much training by heart rate. It is amazing how much your heart rate can tell you about the current condition of your body.

As far as rest days, I can tell you the biggest thing is to learn the difference in your body needing to take a day off and your mind / body just not really feeling like working out. I know it sounds goofy but it is true. Some of the best advice that I have ever been given about rest days is this: You can have a rest day and still have worked out every day that week. How? By planning your training schedule to maximize recovery. ie. Schedule - Long Run Monday 6:00 a.m., Tuesday - Medium Swim 7 p.m. you have now had a break of over 24 hours between workouts and therefore have basically got a rest day. What I / he was saying is that if you play with the times of your workouts and mix up how and what you put where (intensity / discipline) you can give your body a recovery without an entire day off. I am not telling you to ignore your body, if you need a day or two off by all means take it, I am just trying to give you some options on how you can approach things.
2014-11-05 2:17 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Bronze member
Thanks for the tips Patrick & Todd

Just back from a run. No timing / technology, just a slow steady run. I surprised myself at the distance I was able to cover non stop with a slow jog rather than the run / walk method I've been using. It was a confidence booster and I also feel a lot better after the run.

Rod
2014-11-09 3:51 PM

User image

Bronze member
Hi Turtles

Had another solid week of training with sessions covering swim, bike, run & transitions.

The training group I'm in has some great coaches and we've been focusing on technique in all disciplines by doing a lot of drills. We spent an hour practicing the flying mount we had some hair raising moments but it looks like a time saver. I've also ordered some elastic laces for my runners and tri shoes for the bike. Looking forward to using the tri shoes on the bike as my current riding shoes take forever to get on and off at any time .

The coaches have echoed Todd & Patrick's advice about slow & steady and focusing on technique.

I was out of bed at 5:15 to go swimming this morning. Nearly didn't go but I'm so glad I did as I learned so much.

Rod
2014-11-10 4:00 PM

User image

I'm not sure when I'll be ready for a flying mount, but that's awesome you guys are practicing that. I got up at 5AM to day for spin class. After about 4 weeks of spin class I'm noticing a big change in my leg strength and stamina. Since I'm fighting a cold, I'm going to skip the pool this week and stick with light workouts on the treadmill and bike.

New Thread
BT Mentor Program 2014 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 23

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 1
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 11
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.