BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-07-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
I got 3,500 in the pool this morning, and felt every second of it! I went to the gym last night, and I can still feel the after-effects of that, combined with last week's training load. I was very glad when it was over, although I felt like it was a good workout. I'll get in an hour run sometime today, but there aren't any intervals in it, thankfully!

On the issue of running, and getting back into form, IMTalk had a great interview with Scott Molina on a recent podcast. If you don't know who he is, he won Kona in '88, so he's no slouch. However, since he's no spring chicken anymore, it was interesting to hear him talk about running injuries, and how the body ages. He also talked a lot about an ultramarathon he did in S. Africa, which really humbled him. It's interesting to hear an elite athlete talk about getting passed by runners while walking a race course. It was a great interview.

2014-07-15 12:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by slornow

Tennis ball drill......I swear this is something Stuart dreamed up to torture all of us trying to become better swimmers.  I

Just one of the fun offerings I like to share!
2014-07-15 12:01 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I got 3,500 in the pool this morning, and felt every second of it! I went to the gym last night, and I can still feel the after-effects of that, combined with last week's training load. I was very glad when it was over, although I felt like it was a good workout. I'll get in an hour run sometime today, but there aren't any intervals in it, thankfully!

On the issue of running, and getting back into form, IMTalk had a great interview with Scott Molina on a recent podcast. If you don't know who he is, he won Kona in '88, so he's no slouch. However, since he's no spring chicken anymore, it was interesting to hear him talk about running injuries, and how the body ages. He also talked a lot about an ultramarathon he did in S. Africa, which really humbled him. It's interesting to hear an elite athlete talk about getting passed by runners while walking a race course. It was a great interview.

I caught that as well. I agree that was a great interview. They have some good guests on that show. Speaking of triathlon podcasts, what are same of the ones you guys listen to? (If you do) Right now I listen to IM Talk, Endurance Planet and Marathon Talk. Any other good ones out there?
2014-07-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Stuartap

Tennis ball drill......I swear this is something Stuart dreamed up to torture all of us trying to become better swimmers.  I

Just one of the fun offerings I like to share!

I'm assuming this is something related to the fist drill, which I absolutely hate. 

2014-07-15 3:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Randy, your swim cancellations are contagious...thunderstormed out here today.  I should be able to reschedule for tomorrow...weather is looking better.

Got in some speed work at the "track" today, 3 x 400 on 4:30 or so (walk/jog recovery), coming in the low 1:40s (about 6:30 pace - which is my VDOT "R" pace).  Felt great.  Got in a good lower body strength training session afterwards...gonna be sore tomorrow!

2014-07-15 3:56 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Well, just signed up for IM Raleigh 70.3 in 2015, so I guess I'm not quitting this triathlon thing for at least another year-this might start being a lifestyle if I'm not careful!

2014-07-15 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Hi, guys! I got hammered at my game the weekend before and had to take almost a week off. Knee took a blow and I was dealing with pain and swelling for a few days. Thought it was another half a year out of the game, but I rested and it's much better now. Still swells a bit after a workout, but better every day.

Great races results and happy belated birthday, Randy!!

Last weekend was my first ever time trial. I was clueless how the start was supposed to go. I heard that we'd all take off one at a time. I went to the back of the line thinking that slower riders started there. Looked around and saw all the speedy guys. They saw me and did a double take, and I had no idea why. They were very sweet and I got a bunch high fives and surprised "good morning!"s, but one of the who's quite comfortable with me rolled up and said "You're back here, Blanda?!", hahaha! Then I realized that I was probably supposed to start up front, but I thought the looks on the guys faces in the back were hilarious after I realized what was going on. We all had a good laugh, and I love them for being so polite. :D

Anyway, that went better than I thought. Hills for daaays, but survived. Another bike race this weekend. 20 each 1 mile laps. Ugh.

Happy training!

Edited by Blanda 2014-07-15 8:58 PM
2014-07-16 6:34 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by skibummer

Did a Midnight Moonlight in Vermont 4 mile race last night.

Where in VT was this race? Sounds like something I might put on the calendar for next year!!

Pownal, VT, Just outside of Bennington.
It is put on by the Battenkill Valley Runners who put on several events all year.
They have a sprint tri later this Summer.

Swim/Run last night instead of swim/bike.
Hissing geese were the highlight.
Thought I was going to have to punt goose.

Did a mini mini mini tri with my kids the other day and they LOVED it.
50 yd swim, 1 mi. bike 0.5 mi run.
2014-07-16 7:29 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I had a spectacular swim the other day. I was as fast or faster in the pool than I had ever been......

That evening, over dinner, I was 'bragging' about swimming back to back 200s in 2:50 each and how fast that was for me......

My daughter looks up at me with a quizzical look on her face (remember, she is 4' 11" and weighs 90 pounds) and asks, "how fast did you swim those 200s?" I replied, beaming with pride.

"Ummm, dad, you know that I swam a 200 hundred the other day in 2:33 and I wasn't even trying that hard."

Well, that was deflating But at least my daughter rocks!

I ran this morning. Intervals. 4 x 200, 4 x 400, 2 x 800, all at 5K pace. It was too soon. I did it and felt good doing it but now I'm hobbling around work. I don't think I am quite recovered enough from last weekend to be doing 2.5 miles at 5K pace. Oh well.

I said that I would answer Randy's question about how I feel about the season after Muncie. The race showed that I have a pretty good barometer on my training. It went really well but I still was not as fast as I want to be and think that I can be. If Muncie is the fastest I go all year I will still be happy and satisfied. But, I don't want Muncie to be the fastest I go all year so I have some real motivation to keep hitting the training hard. Plus, with the slot at 70.3 WC, the field will be really fast and I don't want to be bringing up the rear at that race. The bike was the fastest I have ever averaged for a HIM and I think I am making slow progress there. Now I need to put that kind of bike together with a sub 1:30 run. It can be done, I know it.

Jamie. Glad to see that the triathlon community has you for at least another year.

Blanda. Sorry about the knee but I'm happy to hear that it is recovering nicely. Funny story about the TT. I suspect that I would have made the same mistake.

Edited by wannabefaster 2014-07-16 7:41 AM
2014-07-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-sounds like you are raising a good relay partner!   Until then limit you competition with your daughter to biking and running. I'll be doing the run intervals this afternoon. I like doing run intervals on the track. Problem is that the track is black, radiates heat and I usually start them around 4:30pm when it is really roasting.....at least it is a little easier on my legs than running on pavement.

What is everyone up to today?

Swam at lunch and run intervals tonight.

2014-07-16 2:07 PM

Originally posted by wannabefaster

• Well, that was deflating But at least my daughter rocks!

That's me and my daughter with running... In fact, it's how we learned that she can run decently. One day my wife was in need of a break and told me (no she did not ask, she TOLD me) that "if you are going to run today, you need to take C with you... I need a break!"

Well, it was my long run day and I wasn't really feeling up to it, but I was going to go anyway so I told her to get ready she was going to go run with Dad. (And in the interest of being totally honest, I was thinking, "She won't be able to run 6 miles, she hasn't run at all, this will be a good excuse to cut my run short...")

Well, she outran me from the get go. I finally got tired of trying to keep up and just told her to "Run ahead to the next bend in the path, then turn and run back to me, just don't turn where I can't see you anymore."

I think she ran 7.5 - 8 miles while I ran 6!

2014-07-16 3:19 PM

What will make me a good mentee?: I love this sport and love to learn so this group was invaluable to me on this journey. A truly great group of people. Then there is the swimming where I hopefully can help you.

I have also taught swimming to all ages from the Rocks, the 4-5 year old kids you put in the pool and they just sink, to 60 year old adults. Some of my methods you will definitely find odd but they work. Happy to field any questions and help any way I can.

Looking for some swim advice... When I was a kid I was a strong swimmer. I never competed officially, and I was never fast, but I could swim for hours without stopping. The longest measured distance I ever swam was over 2 miles. I don't remember my time, but I remember it was just shy of one mile around the lake on the walking path and I swam around the lake about 20 feet from shore just shy of three times when the sun ducked behind the trees and I had to get out of the water.

Fast forward only a few years to my late teens... While visiting family in California, I went for a swim in the Pacific. I was swimming about 50 yards from shore, parallel to shore, when I was hit by a huge wave. I spent what seemed like a lifetime trying to find the surface and when I did, I was greeted by another wave. When I finally got to the surface again, I was gasping for breath, totally disoriented. When I spotted the shore it looked miles away. (The lifeguard to whom I am eternally grateful said I was probably a quarter mile away from the shore, but it sure seemed farther than that!) Lessons learned: Undertow can be incredibly powerful! Never swim directly parallel to the shore.

Thing is, after that experience, I pretty much quit swimming. I didn't do it on purpose, but looking back, that was pretty much the defining moment for my loathing of beaches, and over time, pools as well.

Fast forward 30 years to today... I swam for the first time in years about 8 months ago when my son challenged me to do the Chicago Triathlon next month. I completely panicked. I couldn't swim one lap in any stroke. My breathing was completely out of control, and my muscles seemed to forget what I wanted them to do the moment I put my face in the water. Breast stroke and sidestroke became my go to strokes because at least I could keep moving and breathing. I then managed to add backstroke to my routine, and just recently have begun a front crawl again.

Initially, I feel great when I am swimming, especially when I am crawling. From what I've been told, my form isn't horrible, my body seems to have remembered pretty well. My problem is, I can't swim more than 200 yards in a front crawl. I have gone from a half a length to a full length, to a full lap, to two full laps, to four laps, but somewhere in the fifth lap I start hyperventilating and sucking water. I then have to resort to Breast stroke for a few laps to regain my breathing.

My times are 20 seconds faster per 50 yards when I crawl, so obviously this is the stroke I want badly to do again.

So. I think the bottom line is this. My issue is not a mechanical issue, but a mental one. What can I do to keep my brain calm, relaxed and not panic? Are there any breathing exercises that will help me overcome this hurdle?

Another crazy thing is, I don't think about my near drowning incident when I am in the water, at least not consciously, but I am convinced that has a lot to do with my situation.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated... I quoted Stuart here but I'll take advice from anyone who has any to give!
    2014-07-16 6:07 PM
    in reply to: PaulPerger

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    Paul,

I think the answer would be to not swim more than 200 yards. At least not now.

Structure your swim workouts so you are doing 50 yards at a time x 10-20 repeats on a fairly significant rest so you can catch your breath and not feel that panic.

Do 100 yard repeats x 5-10 (or more repeats), again on long rest intervals so you aren't feeling oxygen starved.

Occasionally throw in a 200 yard interval. When you finish the 200 yards, take a couple minutes to think about your form, catch your breath, center yourself, and if you feel good enough, do another one.

If you want variety, do 10 x 50 yards, 5 x 100 yards, 2 x 200 yards in the same workout. (My main set tomorrow is 3 x 300, 3 x 200, 6 x 100--the ways you can break up a swim workout are only limited by your imagination).

By doing it this way you break your swim workout up in to manageable chunks. You never get to the point of panic. You build your swim skills and get stronger in the water. Your fitness will increase. I suspect that a month in to a regimen like this you will suddenly realize that you have gotten strong enough to swim past 200 yards and it is no longer an issue.

For me, it has been purely a volume issue. I have swam so many thousands of uneventful yards in the pool that I have developed a comfort in the water that I never thought would be possible. I was only about 60% sure that I would make it out of the water when I went in for my first triathlon. I was terrified. This last weekend I lined up in the front center and got the absolute snot beaten out of me in the first 200 yards but I was so comfortable that I was actually enjoying it. Six years ago a swim start like that would have had me turning around and wading back to shore.

You can conquer this. Don't try to do it a thousand yards at a time. Start small and work your way up.

Any one else have thoughts on this?
    2014-07-16 7:03 PM
    in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
    Skibummer: Getting the kids involved is so much fun!

Jason: You want the truth, ask a kid, haha! I wish my kids took to swimming so we could train together.

Got in a run on the treadmill last night, and had twinges. Switched to walking. Bummer! Tried again this morning and had to slow down again. Grrr. No running Friday-Sunday and see what's up. It may have been from the treading I was doing Tuesday while swimming with the kids. I felt a little achy when I got out of the water. Hmmm.

Soccer has really done a number on my poor knees.
    2014-07-16 7:26 PM

User image

New user
    New Hampshire

Jason-sounds like you are raising a good relay partner!   Until then limit you competition with your daughter to biking and running. I'll be doing the run intervals this afternoon. I like doing run intervals on the track. Problem is that the track is black, radiates heat and I usually start them around 4:30pm when it is really roasting.....at least it is a little easier on my legs than running on pavement.

What is everyone up to today?

Swam at lunch and run intervals tonight.

Track intervals for me this a.m. 6x800 leaving on the 4:30. Hehe see how I used my new swim lingo there.
    2014-07-16 7:38 PM

User image

Master
    South Alabama

Paul-I agree with Jason. I think you have to become a "comfortable" swimmer before worrying about becoming a faster swimmer. My experience with swimming is very much like Jason's. Many early triathlon swims were focused on just making it to T1.

One thing to consider is your breathing pattern. How often are you breathing? When I breathe bilaterally every third stroke I get short of breath within 150-200 yards. I would encourage you to breathe as often as possible if it keeps you from hyperventilating. You can still breathe bilaterally....maybe breathe to the left on the way down the pool and to the right on the way back.  If you are not getting enough oxygen it can cause shortness of breath and a panicky feeling. The other thing people sometimes forget to do is to breathe out underwater before turning to get a breath. If you are holding the air after taking a breath and then trying to exhale and inhale as you turn for a breath then you are not getting a full breath as you are spending part of the time breathing out rather than the whole time breathing in.

Even when I warm up there is a point usually 3-4 laps in where I feel a bit short of breath....its just my HR picking up. Lasts only for a few seconds and then my body/mind recognize that I'm fine and can then settle in to a rhythm. SLOW DOWN.......see how slow you can go for 3-4 laps and see if that allows you to go further.

Hope you find the trick....it comes eventually but getting there can be tough.

Well, my Garmin was dead when I turned it on for my run. Made it kind of tough to pace the track intervals until I realized I have a pace clock app on my phone that I sometimes use at the pool. So, I ran the last two 800s with my iphone in my hand so I could accurately time my 800s.....the strange crap we do.   

2014-07-16 8:07 PM

User image

Well I feel like I've been gone forever once again......Freaking working so many hours these last two weeks. Hopefully the work load will fade a little. I have my first Oly distance race coming up this Sat. and I'm very worried LOL The swim has me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs! I know that I can swim the distance, but for some reason I just cant shake these butterflies! Once I am outta the water I will be Ok, I will not be the fastest but at least I will finish. Looking back on this last year and half of my life its hard to believe how far I have really come. If you would have told me two years ago that I would be trying my hand at triathlon I would have laughed. Well anyhow hope everyone is having a great week
    2014-07-16 8:22 PM

User image

Master
    South Alabama

Originally posted by AkABuzz Well I feel like I've been gone forever once again......Freaking working so many hours these last two weeks. Hopefully the work load will fade a little. I have my first Oly distance race coming up this Sat. and I'm very worried LOL The swim has me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs! I know that I can swim the distance, but for some reason I just cant shake these butterflies! Once I am outta the water I will be Ok, I will not be the fastest but at least I will finish. Looking back on this last year and half of my life its hard to believe how far I have really come. If you would have told me two years ago that I would be trying my hand at triathlon I would have laughed. Well anyhow hope everyone is having a great week

Steve-your training looks great. Really solid. You will be fine. Keep it easy on the swim then kill it!

Edited by slornow 2014-07-16 8:23 PM
    2014-07-16 8:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Silicon Valley
    Paul there is some excellent advice from Jason & Randy. My take would be very similar.

First thing is to slow down. Concentrate solely on form and rhythm. My sense is you have that mark of 200 yards in your mind and you are living up to that expectation. For a warm up just get in the water and swim. Breathe in whatever form you are comfortable with. If that means only one side, fine.

Think about your form and try to find a comfortable rhythm. Think about your kick but DO NOT kick hard. The legs set the tone while the arms do the work. With some practice you will find that spot where you feel like you can swim as long as you want. It will not be fast. However, once your body gets comfortable with that rhythm you will find some very nice gains in speed.

In swimming, especially distance swimming, form trumps strength every time. Let us know how is goes and jump back in with any questions.
    2014-07-17 7:16 AM

Originally posted by wannabefaster
    Structure your swim workouts so you are doing 50 yards at a time x 10-20 repeats on a fairly significant rest so you can catch your breath and not feel that panic.

By doing it this way you break your swim workout up in to manageable chunks. You never get to the point of panic. You build your swim skills and get stronger in the water. Your fitness will increase. I suspect that a month in to a regimen like this you will suddenly realize that you have gotten strong enough to swim past 200 yards and it is no longer an issue.

You can conquer this. Don't try to do it a thousand yards at a time. Start small and work your way up.

I will commit to doing this. I have never really thought about structuring what I’m doing in the pool. I generally get in and just swim, trying to get in as many laps as possible in the amount of time I have to swim. I am a bean counter and when I get in the pool, I am paying to be there and pausing for a minute or two seems like a waste of time that I have paid for, but, your advice makes a lot of sense. I need to change the way I am using my time in the pool.

I think you have to become a "comfortable" swimmer before worrying about becoming a faster swimmer.

One thing to consider is your breathing pattern. How often are you breathing?

I would encourage you to breathe as often as possible if it keeps you from hyperventilating. You can still breathe bilaterally....maybe breathe to the left on the way down the pool and to the right on the way back. If you are not getting enough oxygen it can cause shortness of breath and a panicky feeling.

The other thing people sometimes forget to do is to breathe out underwater before turning to get a breath. If you are holding the air after taking a breath and then trying to exhale and inhale as you turn for a breath then you are not getting a full breath as you are spending part of the time breathing out rather than the whole time breathing in.

SLOW DOWN.......see how slow you can go for 3-4 laps and see if that allows you to go further.

Hope you find the trick....it comes eventually but getting there can be tough.

Becoming a “comfortable” swimmer again is exactly what I am after. That is a perfect description of my current issue. I have become comfortable with a breast stroke, but I am still very uncomfortable in a crawl, yet it is obviously a much more efficient stroke.

I breathe every third stroke, and I do exhale under water. I have become very conscious of exhaling everything in my lungs before turning for my inhale so I am not exhaling out of water.

Paul there is some excellent advice from Jason & Randy. My take would be very similar.

First thing is to slow down. Concentrate solely on form and rhythm. My sense is you have that mark of 200 yards in your mind and you are living up to that expectation. For a warm up just get in the water and swim. Breathe in whatever form you are comfortable with. If that means only one side, fine.

Think about your form and try to find a comfortable rhythm. Think about your kick but DO NOT kick hard. The legs set the tone while the arms do the work. With some practice you will find that spot where you feel like you can swim as long as you want. It will not be fast. However, once your body gets comfortable with that rhythm you will find some very nice gains in speed.

In swimming, especially distance swimming, form trumps strength every time. Let us know how is goes and jump back in with any questions.

I will slow down. My legs are by far where my strength lies, so kicking lightly will take a conscious effort, but I will do that.

THANK YOU so much for all of the advice. I hereby commit to SLOW DOWN, Kick Less, and structure my swim workouts with breaks.

2014-07-17 1:32 PM
    in reply to: PaulPerger

User image

Master
    ann arbor, michigan
    Paul.

Just to let you know that most swimmers rarely ever do long continuous swims. They get in the pool and do structured sets with predetermined rest intervals. As you get faster/fitter you can shorten the rest or lengthen the interval. It is not wasting time. Taking short rests to catch your breath allows you to start over and not have your form break down. This actually maximizes your swim performance and allows you to swim with good form instead of swimming until your technique breaks down. If I start to feel myself falling apart wrt form I will lengthen my rest so that I can continue to swim well. At my level of swimming I need to make sure that I am maintaining my form. I expend a lot of mental energy concentrating on my form and how I am moving through the water, lap after lap after lap.

Your comment about your legs is interesting to me. I have always swam entirely with my arms with almost no kick. I am trying to incorporate kicking in to my technique. I find that when I kick I have to be very careful not to kick too hard. If I do I get very out of breath very quickly. Those huge muscles in your legs use a lot of oxygen so you have to meter out their performance. A sprinter can kick like crazy but us endurance athletes need to use our legs wisely in order not to get too far in to oxygen debt.

2014-07-17 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Collierville, Tennessee
    Paul, I agree with everyone else on two main points: 1. Familiarity comes with volume. I started triathlons after having trained to run a half marathon, and I thought I was in pretty good shape. Well, I got into the pool and couldn't swim to the end and back without stopping to take a breath. That was three years ago; I kept up the training, and I'm definitely not a great swimmer now, but I can swim for a long time with no problem. Also, I think that the hardest part of any triathlon is a mass swim start: you start out a swim with a high heart rate, get kicked and punched by a bunch of other people, and then swim out into the middle of a lake, ocean, or big river. For me, it's all about confidence: I no longer worry about making a distance, or fending off other swimmers-and that's all about the confidence that comes from swimming lots and lots. 2. Structure your swims. For awhile, I just got into the pool and swam, and that worked, but I really saw improvement when I started breaking up my swims into sets. After all, a triathlon is a set: sprint beginning with lots of chop and arms and legs, then a steady long set, then a finish where you might be trying to lower your heart rate. Structure helps a lot.
    2014-07-17 2:23 PM
    in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
    Originally posted by AkABuzz

Well I feel like I've been gone forever once again......Freaking working so many hours these last two weeks. Hopefully the work load will fade a little. I have my first Oly distance race coming up this Sat. and I'm very worried LOL The swim has me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs! I know that I can swim the distance, but for some reason I just cant shake these butterflies! Once I am outta the water I will be Ok, I will not be the fastest but at least I will finish. Looking back on this last year and half of my life its hard to believe how far I have really come. If you would have told me two years ago that I would be trying my hand at triathlon I would have laughed. Well anyhow hope everyone is having a great week

I have my first oly on SUNDAY! YAY FOR US!!

And I feel exactly the same way as you about the swim Just go slow, take your time, ignore the other people (best you can) and do your own thing - at least this is going to be my strategy

So YESTERDAY I went to see a Chiro who is a tri coach now and we went over my bike fit. Apparently, my right side is kinda messed up (actually this is not news to me but I never thought about how it affected my pedal stroke). He said:
    "Yes, you have a moderate forefoot varus on the right, and that causes your subtalar joint in the rearfoot to have to over pronate. Both of those things cause too much movement of the knee toward midline and too much internal rotation of the lower extremity from the hip down. This occurs on the bike and in your gait. I suspect this has contributed to many of your right- sided maladies."

and now I have a shim in my right cleat.

I told my PT and he wants to see me to figure out a course of action/exercises to try to fix this rather than use the shim as a band aid solution - sounds pretty good I guess Maybe this will make me faster on the bike!!

Have a good rest of the day all. I'm headed off to cheer for friends at a local tri series tonight (I'm saving my energy for Sunday).
    2014-07-18 6:47 AM

User image

Happy Friday everyone! GREAT swim advice from you guys thank you.

Good luck on Sunday Randee! any other people racing this weekend?

Edited by AkABuzz 2014-07-18 6:48 AM
    2014-07-18 8:22 AM
    in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Master
    South Alabama

Good morning all-so, its time to do our race round up. We have Randee and Steve/Buzz racing this weekend. Good luck! Anyone else?

This afternoon I'm headed to the in-laws place at the beach for the weekend. Looks like it may be a washout. I have a "race ready" bike/run workout tomorrow that I would really like to get in and a bike workout on Sunday.  Maybe the forecast will be wrong.  Was able to get in a 5 mile run this morning before a busy day here at work.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 19501 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 2, 2007
    author : docgill
    comments : 0
    Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
    author : EndurancePlanet
    37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
    date : November 10, 2006
    author : Valdora Cycles
    comments : 1
    Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
    author : mikericci
    This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
    date : January 29, 2006
    author : Rich Strauss
    comments : 2
    The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
    author : acbadger
    Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.