BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-07-20 4:10 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Randee,

I think you are right on for calories. You have heard my 4-6 calories per kg per hour while on the bike mantra. I think 270 calories will be just fine for your Olympic bike ride.

How long do you project that you will be on the bike? If it is anything much more than an hour, consuming 26 ounces with 270 total calories sounds pretty good to me. You probably don't need that much fuel but I don't think it will hurt you either and it will have you tanked up for the run. If it is hot (and 80 is pretty hot as far as I'm concerned) you may want just a little water to supplement.

I would try to be pretty much finished with whatever you are going to take in with 10-15 minutes left until T2. That gives your stomach a short while to empty before it starts bouncing around on the run. Sips in the last 10-15 are fine but not too much volume.

When I get to the run I don't really want too much. I just pour in as much water as I can tolerate whenever it is offered. If there is coke, I take that too.

I have a little sticky on my desk at work with your 4-6cals per kg per hour and the conversion to lbs We decided to go with about 200cals with skratch and supplement with gels as needed. Since this is my first we are erring on the side of fewer calories. Like you said, don't want want to be to full on the run!

and Stuart, get 23s. I just picked up a set of Conti tires and have the back on right now. I tell you what, I can't tell bad tires.....but I can sure tell GOOD ones!!

My favorite tires are Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp - and they are on sale right now http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/vredestein-fortezza-tricomp

but I'm giving the Conti's a shot because the price was right.

2014-07-20 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randee I did just as you and others suggested. I had planned on ordering some GP4000II's because the place that had them on sale was supposedly out at my local store. I was going to drive up to another store and get a set of inexpensive tires to get me through the week and then to keep for emergencies. So as I am driving I hear a traffic report that the route I had to take was jammed up and at a complete stop. So I make a last minute decision to go to the store with the sale and see if I can get a cheap set there instead.

So when I get there the GPs are not only in stock but they has 6 of them. So long story short, I picked up a set without having to get a stop gap set. Now I can watch the sales for a back-up set at my leisure.

I didn't get to mount them yesterday, our daughter took my wife and I to see Jersey Boys (the play not the movie) and then to dinner. So today they go on and I am up and running again.

Thanks to all for the advice.

BTW Randee if you want some Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp - they are on sale right now at only $29.00 at http://www.competitivecyclist.com/vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-tire?...

Edited by Stuartap 2014-07-20 10:30 AM
2014-07-20 11:56 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

BTW Randee if you want some Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp - they are on sale right now at only $29.00 at http://www.competitivecyclist.com/vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-tire?...

I do.....but I'm trying to behave....we just had our well DUG UP and fixed $$$

LOL

First oly DONE!! Success, I'd say. Report to follow with official results. Beat my estimate by 10 minutes or so and missed my WOULD BE SO AWESOME GOAL by 5 minutes I think - but, I did stop to pee on the run so...... yeah.

gotta go find FOOD!
2014-07-20 12:19 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

LOL

First oly DONE!! Success, I'd say. Report to follow with official results. Beat my estimate by 10 minutes or so and missed my WOULD BE SO AWESOME GOAL by 5 minutes I think - but, I did stop to pee on the run so...... yeah.

gotta go find FOOD!

Sounds like another awesome job from the team, great work. Looking forward to the RR.

As for the tires, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a set as my back-up. The reviews looked good, the price was good, and they came in orange!

2014-07-20 1:11 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

LOL

gotta go find FOOD!

Sounds like another awesome job from the team, great work. Looking forward to the RR.

As for the tires, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a set as my back-up. The reviews looked good, the price was good, and they came in orange!

Wow. Orange tires! I'm tempted just because I think that would look so cool......

Randee. Sounds like you did awesome. Great work.
2014-07-20 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Well done, Randee!

2014-07-20 7:27 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job on your first olympic race Randee. Sounds like you had a good day.

2014-07-20 7:50 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Just got home from a nice weekend, Figured I'd check in here for a min. Congrats Randee on your first oly and beating your estimated time to boot!
I had a great time at my race on Sat. and after all that worrying the swim was a piece of cake LOL. I finished in 2:44:34 I will post a full report tomorrow.
2014-07-20 8:18 PM
in reply to: AkABuzz

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by AkABuzz

Just got home from a nice weekend, Figured I'd check in here for a min. Congrats Randee on your first oly and beating your estimated time to boot!
I had a great time at my race on Sat. and after all that worrying the swim was a piece of cake LOL. I finished in 2:44:34 I will post a full report tomorrow.

Steve,

Great time. I'm glad to hear that the swim went well. I often think that the swim occupies most of our worries about a race but, if you are prepared, it is often the easiest part of the day.
2014-07-21 4:35 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by AkABuzz

Well done!!!

RR is up. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2014-07-21 5:59 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by AkABuzz Just got home from a nice weekend, Figured I'd check in here for a min. Congrats Randee on your first oly and beating your estimated time to boot! I had a great time at my race on Sat. and after all that worrying the swim was a piece of cake LOL. I finished in 2:44:34 I will post a full report tomorrow.

Great job Steve!

2014-07-21 6:29 AM

Had a dog try to get me while OW swimming. Same dog 2x.

First time the owner said "If he follows you into the water just splash him". Sounds like a known problem.
Splashing didn't work and my HR skyrocketed as I tried evasive actions. Ended up having to push him away and all the way back to shore.

Second time he snuck up from behind and scratched my leg on my second .5 mile. Scared the shirt out of me. Had to stop and push him away.

If I were a small child, he would have drowned me. Owner and dog were gone by the time I finished.
2014-07-21 6:34 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by skibummer

Had a dog try to get me while OW swimming. Same dog 2x.

First time the owner said "If he follows you into the water just splash him". Sounds like a known problem.
Splashing didn't work and my HR skyrocketed as I tried evasive actions. Ended up having to push him away and all the way back to shore.

Second time he snuck up from behind and scratched my leg on my second .5 mile. Scared the shirt out of me. Had to stop and push him away.

If I were a small child, he would have drowned me. Owner and dog were gone by the time I finished.

was he wearing a collar? if it happens again try to get some of the info off the collar and call animal control when back on shore. that sucks.

ok here's a question: in the CT forums, there's a guy that started a thread about the tri I did yesterday. His name is BFJeff. Well I figured out who he was when I BLEW buy a BAREFOOT RIDER. WHY would you do that? How much power do you lose by not having your foot connected to the pedal? Some people are just crazy
2014-07-21 2:07 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nice change....was able to get my swim in at lunch despite some weather that looked like it may cut it short.

I have an exciting weekend ahead. (Yeah, I know its only Monday). There are about 10 of us from my tri team that are doing a road trip. Leaving Pensacola early friday morning to drive down to the Tampa/St Pete area to race. We are doing the Top Gun sprint Saturday morning. Then we will clean up a bit and drive a couple hours north for the Nature Coast Twilight Sprint that evening. Not sure about racing twice in one day. Sounds crazy to me (sorry Jason). But, it also sounded like the trip would be fun and too good to miss. Quite a cross section going from age 17 to 57. The team is made up of guys from all along the coast from Gulfport to Pensacola area so it will be fun to hang out with some of the guys on the trip. I'm sure this type of trip will generate some good stories.     

2014-07-21 2:20 PM
in reply to: #5028139

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randee...I can't imagine doing much of anything barefoot (except swimming)
2014-07-21 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Ok guys, help me out here. I bought the GP4000SIIs on Sat but didn't get time to mount them. So yesterday I pulled the back wheel off and since I had it off, did a complete cleaning. Degreased the cassette and chain, cleaned the derailleurs and lubed it back up. Then I put on a new tube (same brand I had on there) and tire. I didn't change out the front tire yet. However a fundraising event for the ADA meant I didn't have to do anything but have my LBS check them to make sure I seated them right: no ride.

So today I roll out for the first time with the new tire on the back and I actually stop to make sure everything is ok since it feels so sluggish. Everything checks out. So off I go and to say it felt horrible would be too kind. It felt like the bike was heavy and slow.

I rode the same route I do at least three times a week. The one I have been trying to break one hour on. The last six rides have been between 1:00:05 and 1:00:45. Well today it felt so sluggish I cut 1.5 miles off the route and came in at 1:06:28. I can't remember when I rolled that slow on this route.

I can't imagine even the worst tire making that big a difference much less a tire that is so highly thought of. I didn't ride on either Sat or Sun so my legs are not tired. In fact, no run or swim either. Just a few dog walks and an evening three mile walk with my wife, both of which we do every day.

Is there something I could have done to the bike when I cleaned it that made it so sluggish? I triple checked the brakes to make sure the pads were clear. All I know is I am very frustrated.

Any ideas?

2014-07-21 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by glfprncs

What!!! You're supposed to swim barefoot?
2014-07-21 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Great races from Steve and Randee, definitely some good athletes in this group!

Randy, your weekend plan sounds fun/tiring! I'm jealous, as I've only done two races this whole summer-I'm going through withdrawals!

I had a relaxing weekend at the lake, but now it's back to training! It was really, really nice to have two days off from training, but had to get back on the horse with a 90 minute brick workout this morning. It's been awhile since I've done a brick, and my legs definitely let me know that! I hope everyone's week is starting off well!
2014-07-21 3:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Stuartap Ok guys, help me out here. I bought the GP4000SIIs on Sat but didn't get time to mount them. So yesterday I pulled the back wheel off and since I had it off, did a complete cleaning. Degreased the cassette and chain, cleaned the derailleurs and lubed it back up. Then I put on a new tube (same brand I had on there) and tire. I didn't change out the front tire yet. However a fundraising event for the ADA meant I didn't have to do anything but have my LBS check them to make sure I seated them right: no ride. So today I roll out for the first time with the new tire on the back and I actually stop to make sure everything is ok since it feels so sluggish. Everything checks out. So off I go and to say it felt horrible would be too kind. It felt like the bike was heavy and slow. I rode the same route I do at least three times a week. The one I have been trying to break one hour on. The last six rides have been between 1:00:05 and 1:00:45. Well today it felt so sluggish I cut 1.5 miles off the route and came in at 1:06:28. I can't remember when I rolled that slow on this route. I can't imagine even the worst tire making that big a difference much less a tire that is so highly thought of. I didn't ride on either Sat or Sun so my legs are not tired. In fact, no run or swim either. Just a few dog walks and an evening three mile walk with my wife, both of which we do every day. Is there something I could have done to the bike when I cleaned it that made it so sluggish? I triple checked the brakes to make sure the pads were clear. All I know is I am very frustrated. Any ideas?

Stuart-that is strange. Things I thought of included brake pads, which you checked, and tire pressure. I suspect you would have noticed wquickly if the tire pressure was off. Cleaning the drivetrain should not cause a problem. Can you put it on a stand and make sure everything is working correctly. The ContiGP4000s, that I use, are a directional tire with a small arrow pointing the proper rotational direction. Not sure about the Conti4000IIs but can't imagine it would make much if any difference if mounted in the opposite direction of the recommended rotation.

2014-07-21 3:12 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by glfprncs

What!!! You're supposed to swim barefoot?

oh no - swimming he wore shoes. LOL Ok probably not.

and on the tires here are my thoughts - when you put the wheel back on did you make sure it's sitting squarely in the dropouts? 1. Make sure it's not crooked 2. make sure the brakes are not rubbing 3. what PSI are you running 4. did you possibly pinch flat the tube when you put the tire on the rim?
2014-07-21 3:52 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Randee ansd Steve- Great job this weekend!

Stuart- I agree with Randee make sure the wheel is seated in the drop outs correctly. If you lift the wheel off the ground and spin it by hand does it spin freely? It is possible to over tighten the skewer. Here a good video about the proper tehsion on the skewer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8fB5ySntcA.

Pretty good weekend for me. I got a ten mile run in Saturday and a 40 mile bike in on Sunday. Time to taper!

2014-07-21 6:57 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks to all for the feedback on the tire.
1. When you put the wheel back on did you make sure it's sitting squarely in the dropouts? **Checked and on correctly.
2. Make sure it's not crooked. **Centered properly.
3. Make sure the brakes are not rubbing. **Checked before I rode and again now, no rub.
4. What PSI are you running? **120 psi as I did on my old tires.
5. Did you possibly pinch flat the tube when you put the tire on the rim? **I had the techs at my LBS check it before I put it on the bike just to make sure it didn’t explode in my face when I fully inflated it.
6. If you lift the wheel off the ground and spin it by hand does it spin freely? It is possible to over tighten the skewer. **Seemed to spin OK. I did loosen it just a bit. Will see how it rides tomorrow.
7. The ContiGP4000s, that I use, are a directional tire with a small arrow pointing the proper rotational direction. Not sure about the Conti4000IIs but can't imagine it would make much if any difference if mounted in the opposite direction of the recommended rotation. **Don’t know if there is one or not. Where should I be looking for that?

I know the store will take them back but I don’t want to run them a lot, or mount the front tire, if I am going to return them. My Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp’s will be here before the end of the week. If I am not any happier by then I will throw those on and see if they are any better.

2014-07-21 7:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-I have not used the 4000SII so I can't say whether they are directional and where the indicator is located. On the original 4000S there was a directional arrow on the tire sidewall. It can be hard to find as it is just molded into the sidewall. A dab of whiteout makes it easier to find in the future. Can't imagine it would make that much difference though. 

2014-07-21 8:47 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Ok guys, help me out here. I bought the GP4000SIIs on Sat but didn't get time to mount them. So yesterday I pulled the back wheel off and since I had it off, did a complete cleaning. Degreased the cassette and chain, cleaned the derailleurs and lubed it back up. Then I put on a new tube (same brand I had on there) and tire. I didn't change out the front tire yet. However a fundraising event for the ADA meant I didn't have to do anything but have my LBS check them to make sure I seated them right: no ride.

So today I roll out for the first time with the new tire on the back and I actually stop to make sure everything is ok since it feels so sluggish. Everything checks out. So off I go and to say it felt horrible would be too kind. It felt like the bike was heavy and slow.

I rode the same route I do at least three times a week. The one I have been trying to break one hour on. The last six rides have been between 1:00:05 and 1:00:45. Well today it felt so sluggish I cut 1.5 miles off the route and came in at 1:06:28. I can't remember when I rolled that slow on this route.

I can't imagine even the worst tire making that big a difference much less a tire that is so highly thought of. I didn't ride on either Sat or Sun so my legs are not tired. In fact, no run or swim either. Just a few dog walks and an evening three mile walk with my wife, both of which we do every day.

Is there something I could have done to the bike when I cleaned it that made it so sluggish? I triple checked the brakes to make sure the pads were clear. All I know is I am very frustrated.

Any ideas?

Stuart

That is really strange. When I put my Vittoria tires on the bike it rolls noticeably smoother. Like Randee said earlier, I don't notice bad tires but I can totally feel it when the good rubber is on.

The only thing I can think of is if somehow the cleaning did something to the bearings and they aren't rolling as nicely....? I was expecting to hear a report about how great the bike felt and that you finally broke an hour. Something is up. Either you had the best tires ever already on the bike and the Contis are a downgrade or something is rubbing or dragging somewhere.
2014-07-21 8:49 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
The direction shouldn't matter much at all. I read somewhere that they put a directional arrow on the tire because they got tired of being asked which way to mount the tire.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19322 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.