BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-07-31 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
I had to giggle on the "cheap sunglasses" comment. I actually bought a sweet pair of Tifosi cycling/running sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. I've coveted them for months. At "only" $70, they weren't cheap, but far cheaper than my prescription ssunglasses.

Stuart, I like TriSlide better than Glide. Definitely on your neck. If your wetsuit is sleeveless, lube your biceps. They tend to chafe on the arm openings. Plastic grocery sacks are great for sliding hands & feet through the arms and legs of a dry wetsuit. I'd get your suit wet at home and practice the best way of getting it on wet. Good luck!

2014-08-01 5:12 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Well I guess I am officially back in the game. I just signed up for the My Way Or The Tri Way race in Aurora, CO in three weeks. The 5700' elevation will be challenging compared to my home elevation of 200' but I chose it because I can do a Swim-Bike-Swim.

So with that in mind a have a few questions:

1. As a scuba diver I have put on a wetsuit hundreds of times. I have never had to worry about getting one off quickly however. My one and only tri back at the end of 2012 had the swim cancelled due to bad water conditions and my accident was just two weeks before my planned second event. So I have Body Glide but not at all clear on where the key areas are to use it.

2. I am finding myself in between gears on the flats right now. One gear is slightly too low and the cadence jumps too high and the next higher gear is a struggle to keep a fast cadence. So do I spin faster or spin harder?

3. The ride is only 20k so I am thinking I will not carry anything to drink. I think it makes more sense for me to slam down a quick something in transition between the two 750 meter swims. Does that make sense since I am not quick at getting a drink on the move?

4. Socks? I really do not like to ride without them but I know it adds time to both transitions. Do I just suck it up and forget it for the short ride or take the time since that is what I am comfortable with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I agree with everything Rene said - but I'll add to that - I always wear socks. I like, I'm comfortable in them and there you go. I figure I'm not winning or losing races for the extra 20 seconds in transition putting them on

Have fun!

Who's racing this weekend? I've got an international distance on Sunday! WOOT! Last year there were only 2 women in my AG so.........here's hopin!!

2014-08-01 9:54 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Who's racing this weekend?  I've got an international distance on Sunday!  WOOT!  Last year there were only 2 women in my AG so.........here's hopin!!

Get out there and crush it! Hope you have a great race.

Anyone else racing??

2014-08-01 11:57 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Catwoman

Originally posted by Stuartap Well I guess I am officially back in the game. I just signed up for the My Way Or The Tri Way race in Aurora, CO in three weeks. The 5700' elevation will be challenging compared to my home elevation of 200' but I chose it because I can do a Swim-Bike-Swim. So with that in mind a have a few questions: Stuart, I'm so glad to see you racing again!! I'm sure everyone else will have better answers to add to your questions. I'll add my opinion in here..

1. As a scuba diver I have put on a wetsuit hundreds of times. I have never had to worry about getting one off quickly however. My one and only tri back at the end of 2012 had the swim cancelled due to bad water conditions and my accident was just two weeks before my planned second event. So I have Body Glide but not at all clear on where the key areas are to use it. Body Glide- neck and around your wrists, ankles. If you wetsuit is really tight around the wrists and ankles you can cut it. Just don't cut it too short. I spray Tri Slide around my ankles to help get the wetsuit on and off.
Since it is so hot where I live we normally only wear wetsuits for out of state races. Everyone else may be able to help you more with the wetsuit stuff. There are also videos online that show how to get the wetsuit on and off quickly.

(I think everything Rene said is right on. At American Triple T this year I had to put on a wetsuit while sweaty from the bike. Your best friend when putting on a wetsuit is a plastic grocery bag over your feet and over your hands. Using the grocery bag your extremities will slip right through the opening without getting stuck. Try it and see what you think. Also, the youtube video rec is great. It is nice to have the visual on how someone puts on and takes off a wetsuit the right way. Taking it off should be seconds.

I am not a big body glide guy. I just put a little bit on the back of my neck where my wetsuit gives me a little hickey and don't really use it anywhere else.)

2. I am finding myself in between gears on the flats right now. One gear is slightly too low and the cadence jumps too high and the next higher gear is a struggle to keep a fast cadence. So do I spin faster or spin harder? I always choose the gear that feels the best at the time. I tend to like a certain amount of pressure on the pedals and gravitate to the harder gears. But that is just personal preference. I would suggest climbing in the easier gear and spinning more. The once you hit the crest of the hill shift into a harder gear and work the hill on the way down. It really just depends on what you prefer.

(Awesome advice. I swing back and forth between spinning and mashing. I find spinning to be more cardio intensive and mashing to be more muscle intensive. Sometimes it just depends on how your are feeling at any point in time)

3. The ride is only 20k so I am thinking I will not carry anything to drink. I think it makes more sense for me to slam down a quick something in transition between the two 750 meter swims. Does that make sense since I am not quick at getting a drink on the move? I personally always carry a bottle of water or nutrition at short distances.  You never know when you're going to want something to drink. 20k doesn't seem like you'd need water/nutrition but you do. You probably normally don't swim before and after you ride 20k.

(Agree completely. I would want a water bottle on my bike, "just in case" I got thirsty. Just my 2 cents)

Also you have to remember that you won't be drinking on the swim. Look at it this way:

Breakfast 4:30, Drive to and arrive at race site , Set up transition, bathroom, take in more nutrition, stop nutrition/GU about 20+ min before race, Swim 750 meters, T, Ride 20k, Swim 750 meters.

Then if you slam water down in transition it may make you feel sick on the bike and swim. Unless you're doing a beer mile slamming liquid in T isn't going to be your best idea. Most people normally wait a few minutes on the bike to start drinking water/nutrition and then they will stop drinking 10+ minutes out from T2 . Another reason to always have water on the bike is that you never know if you're going to need it to dump it on your head (heat), wash off blood, urine (hopefully not at the sprint/oly distance) or who knows what.

Are you comfortable drinking on the bike?

4. Socks? I really do not like to ride without them but I know it adds time to both transitions. Do I just suck it up and forget it for the short ride or take the time since that is what I am comfortable with? Thanks in advance for the help.

Socks- your feet aren't going to be dry. Unless you take time to dry off your feet really well you're going to be riding in wet socks. Next time you go to the pool take a pair of socks. Hop out of the pool and try to put them on. Even if your feet are dry the water from your suit is going to drip down your legs and get the socks wet.

IF you choose to wear socks try this tip. The night before your race put on your socks and wear them for about 5 minutes. Then roll the sock down like a condom with just the toe area unrolled. Stick your foot in the sock and roll it up to get it on quickly. You can also pre-squeeze Aquaphor in your socks if you're prone to blisters or if its going to rain for the ride/run. Personally I'd skip the socks. You probably won't notice that you don't have them on once you get going.

XX

(For me, Olympic or less, typically no socks. Anything over 25 miles, I'm putting socks on. I agree with Randee that the 20 seconds for socks is unlikely to make or break the race. The socks being wet is not really an issue for me. Either my socks are wet or my shoes are wet. Either way, I've got wet feet.

Sorry the formatting is all screwy. I'm not as good at this as Rene is.
2014-08-01 1:42 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Rene thanks for the great response. Only one comment, that being on wet socks. I spent 6 years swimming over 300 days a year so rushing off somewhere or post an event, putting socks on wet feet is something I have done more times than I would like to admit.

I will try sockless again and see how it feels but may default to Randee’s position, I am not winning anything so an extra 20 or 30 seconds isn’t going to kill me.

Jason I will not be putting the wetsuit back on for the second swim. Everyone doing a swim leg 2nd or 3rd doesn’t bother. Not sure I’d want to try that anyway. However, that has raised a new question in my mind…what to wear?

Given that I am doing a S/B/S is a tri suit the best option given I will be swimming the second swim with no wetsuit? When I have seen pix from pool swims I don’t see many tri suits. Would I be better off with:

1. Tri shorts under my wetsuit, throw on a jersey for the bike and take it off for the second swim.
2. Tri shorts & shirt under my wetsuit, and take the shirt off for the second swim.
3. A pair of jammers under my tri shorts for either option above and strip down to just those for the final swim.
4. Stick with the tri suit and forget about it.

2014-08-01 1:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Just wear a SPEEDO for the entire race!

If you choose to go the Speedo route make sure you Manscape everything!! I still have horrible nightmares from seeing a non-manscaped guy wearing a speedo in the aero position last year. That was probably the fastest that I've ever passed anyone on the bike in my life. TMI

Wear the tri suit and be done with it.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-08-01 1:58 PM

2014-08-01 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

If you choose to go the Speedo route make sure you Manscape everything!! I still have horrible nightmares from seeing a non-manscaped guy wearing a speedo in the aero position last year. That was probably the fastest that I've ever passed anyone on the bike in my life. TMI

There was a day I looked good in a Speedo. This is not that day, or even in the same century for that matter.

I am going to do a swim or two in the tri suit and see how that goes.

2014-08-01 5:34 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I trisuit isn't exactly a good look for a man either LOL
2014-08-01 7:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

[

I trisuit isn't exactly a good look for a man either LOL

Hmmmm... I've seen lots of men who look really nice in a tri suit. You need to come and race in the South.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-08-01 7:06 PM
2014-08-01 9:13 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I put a new giant fan in the basement today. It was amazing how much better my trainer ride was with the increased ventilation. Sorry Rene, I had no idea how bad my two little box fans were until today. Now I know.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend. I'm up next weekend so I have to do some heavy duty training as prep work.
2014-08-02 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Just did my longest ride since my accident, just under 31 miles in a respectable (for me) 1:45. I added a 3.3 mile jump over a hill. It's about 2.5 climb over and a short shallow decent down the back side. Then I turn around and go back over. The return trip is a lot of fun.

Feeling good about hitting my weight target by race day as well. I broke 204# this morning and dropping right at 2# a week. If I can hold that I hit 200# a week before the tri. At 200# the wetsuit and tri suit fit a lot better.

I am taking a rare Sunday off tomorrow for our 40th anniversary. Were going to a concert in the park tonight and then heading to Monterey/Carmel for the day tomorrow.

Everybody racing this weekend have a great time and crush it!

2014-08-02 1:47 PM
in reply to: slornow

I SWAM WITH AN OLYMPIAN!!!!

He is a local guy who xc ski races for the national team. He competed in Sochi.

His mom is tapering for a tri and they were at my local swimming hole.

I was thinking about how good and fast I am in the water,
BUT
He and his mom FKN SMOKED me on a half mile swim.

They both had wetsuits and I didn't, but I think that made very little difference.

Very cool people.
2014-08-02 2:16 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I agree with the race dressing advice, except that I've never been able to go sockless, not even for a mile. I wish I could, but every time I've tried it in training, it's an immediate blister! I would if I could though, and I don't wear them on the bike during a race, although I do during training, just to keep my shoes from smelling worse than they do.

I just finished up a 90-mile ride, and I'm toast. This week, and last weekend, has really taken it's toll! The end of September seems so far away when I think about how many workouts I have between now and then, and then so close when I remember I have to do an IM that day.
2014-08-02 2:50 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall
The end of September seems so far away when I think about how many workouts I have between now and then, and then so close when I remember I have to do an IM that day.

My big race this year is in November. There is a lot of training to be done between now and then. It is very daunting if I think about it too much.
2014-08-03 8:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart--

Happy Anniversary.

Wow, 40 years is a long time. Congratulations. May you have 40 more
2014-08-03 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
What a beautiful day for training. Was supposed. To rain all day; instead, the sun was out, nice breeze, temps in upper 70s. Rode 46...two loops of Range Rd, so lots & lots of climbing. Short 2 mile run after. Bike felt good, run felt good....this sofa feels even better!

2014-08-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning-sorry for being absent over the weekend. I had a hard workout Sat. morning then drove to Birmingham, AL to pick up our son Saturday evening. He had been doing a study abroad program in July. Felt like crap on my run yesterday morning and as the day went on it became clear that I was starting to have a raging head cold.  Hope I got in front of it as I am leaving Wed. morning early to start the drive to Milwaukee for AG Nats. I am not racing until Sunday so hopefully I will be 100% by then.  Right now I am not worried about working out just trying to get through the day at work.......UGH!

2014-08-05 9:32 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It looks like things are a bit slow with the group this week. I have been up in Northern Michigan the past three days, training my rear off. The biking up here is phenomenal. I am putting some serious bike riding miles on my legs. Some how it is easier to turn myself inside out while riding outside with the beautiful scenery than it is on the trainer.

I feel like my mini bike focus is starting get to pay dividends. It makes me think like Randy and ask a group question.... what is your triathlon weakness? What are you doing to fix it? Do you think that your weakness could ever become a strength?

I have some thoughts on my weaknesses and what I am doing about them. Tomorrow I will try to post an answer to my question. When you have this many weaknesses it can take a very long time to get them all fixed.....
2014-08-06 9:22 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

It looks like things are a bit slow with the group this week. I have been up in Northern Michigan the past three days, training my rear off. The biking up here is phenomenal. I am putting some serious bike riding miles on my legs. Some how it is easier to turn myself inside out while riding outside with the beautiful scenery than it is on the trainer.

I feel like my mini bike focus is starting get to pay dividends. It makes me think like Randy and ask a group question.... what is your triathlon weakness? What are you doing to fix it? Do you think that your weakness could ever become a strength?

I have some thoughts on my weaknesses and what I am doing about them. Tomorrow I will try to post an answer to my question. When you have this many weaknesses it can take a very long time to get them all fixed.....

HI KIDS!

Been very busy the last few days! Stu - congrats on the anniversary! That's great!! We are at lucky 13 and 40 seems so far away but I'm sure it'll go by like a blink of an eye!

Sunday I had an international tri which was really good! For some reason this event doesn't draw a huge crowd which is OK by me so with 4 people in my AG I came in 2nd. It's my first official podium! WOOT!! RR is somewhere in the RR forum.

Then last night was my weekly off road tri. I was tired and had no expectations going in. I guess there is something to be said for being relaxed and just going go have a good time! I pr'd overall, and my bike and my run! Of course, DH attributes the run to just being in better shape and I attribute the bike to knowing the course like the back of my hand. On a technical off road course this is such a huge advantage over other riders! Knowing where the corners are and where to shift ahead of time is clutch!

Anyway, woke up with a headache today so I'm all hopped up on aleve and feeling a little better.

Now to answer Jason's question - I have two weaknesses - the swim AND the run. And no, I don't think I can ever turn either in a strength because, for me, my bike is just too strong IMO.

Ok, off to "work." LOL

Have a great day.

OH one more thing - I ordered the Cobb RANDEE saddle. Should be here Friday
2014-08-06 5:10 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

About to put some money down on a used Kona Zing for stupid cheap.
This will be the nicest thing I own.

I will treat it nicer than I treat my kids.

But...after I shell out the initial down payment I'll still have to figure out how to afford the rest of it.
2014-08-06 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by skibummer

About to put some money down on a used Kona Zing for stupid cheap.
This will be the nicest thing I own.

I will treat it nicer than I treat my kids.

But...after I shell out the initial down payment I'll still have to figure out how to afford the rest of it.

I ride a 2012 Kona King Zing and I love it. Picked mine up on ebay from a guy that bought the wrong size. Got a really good deal on mine as well. It was vast improvement over my 30+ pound mountain bike.

Enjoy the ride.

2014-08-06 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Ok Jason, I will take a shot at your questions:

1. What is your triathlon weakness? ...Running by a wide wide wide wide (getting the idea) margin.

2. What are you doing to fix it? ...Trying to learn a new way of running so less wear and tear on my surgically repaired knee and replacement hip.

3. Do you think that your weakness could ever become a strength? ... Never!

Since I have a short shelf life as a triathlete on doctors orders I will be happy to get my run to an efficient speed and endurance. No illusions of ever being fast.
2014-08-07 5:55 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by skibummer About to put some money down on a used Kona Zing for stupid cheap. This will be the nicest thing I own. I will treat it nicer than I treat my kids. But...after I shell out the initial down payment I'll still have to figure out how to afford the rest of it.

Enjoy the ride! I was not familiar with Kona bikes but looks like a sweet bike. New bike is a great excuse to get in more bike miles.

I'm on my way to Milwaukee for AG Nationals. Should get in sometime this afternoon. Felt like crap early in the week so went to the doctor Tuesday to see if he could help. Turns out I have a sinus infection that is causing some respiratory issues. Doctor said he would "over medicate" me to try to get me ready for my race on Sunday. Shot, antibiotics and an inhaler. Definitely feeling better but I have not exercised since a short run Sunday morning. I may try to get a short run in this evening when I get in town to see how I feel. Stinks to be sick the week before my "A" race. Hopefully, I will conitinue to improve over the next couple of days. 

2014-08-07 6:50 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Originally posted by skibummer About to put some money down on a used Kona Zing for stupid cheap. This will be the nicest thing I own. I will treat it nicer than I treat my kids. But...after I shell out the initial down payment I'll still have to figure out how to afford the rest of it.

Enjoy the ride! I was not familiar with Kona bikes but looks like a sweet bike. New bike is a great excuse to get in more bike miles.

I'm on my way to Milwaukee for AG Nationals. Should get in sometime this afternoon. Felt like crap early in the week so went to the doctor Tuesday to see if he could help. Turns out I have a sinus infection that is causing some respiratory issues. Doctor said he would "over medicate" me to try to get me ready for my race on Sunday. Shot, antibiotics and an inhaler. Definitely feeling better but I have not exercised since a short run Sunday morning. I may try to get a short run in this evening when I get in town to see how I feel. Stinks to be sick the week before my "A" race. Hopefully, I will conitinue to improve over the next couple of days. 

GOOD LUCK!!
2014-08-07 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by slornow

Sorry you're not feeling better. Hopefully the few days and meds will get you back to normal. Good luck!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19403 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.