BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-08-13 12:05 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by Catwoman

Bike ride? Bike race? Triathlon?

Just a 20k...

Tri with a twist - Swim/Bike/Swim (700m-20k-700m).

2014-08-13 7:26 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Stuartap

Rene I have a Shimano CS-5700 12-25 cassette with a 53/39 chaniring. I don't use the smaller ring up front because it feels like I am dropping between two and three gears so I have to upshift the cassette to make it feel like anything resembling a normal transition.

Jason thanks for the input. I will try to maintain cadence even if it means I am crawling uphill and see how it goes.

Does it make any difference that the ride in two weeks is just a 20k? I understand the concept of consistent power over a longer distance but does that still hold for a short race?

Thanks again to all for the input!

When I have to shift to the small ring up front I have to do the same thing as you, upshift several in the back. If I don't do that I really end up spinning out like crazy. It takes some practice and I still don't always do it exactly right. I find that on hills where I have to switch to the small ring up front that it isn't long until I am shifting to the big ring in back.

Yes, it does make a difference that the ride is only 20K. The negative sequelae on the run from a 'poorly paced' short bike ride is not that much. That is why you see people going max effort/all out in Sprints and close to max in Olympics. The longer the ride (and subsequent run) the more important it is to not have those huge effort spikes on the bike.
2014-08-13 7:30 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Just a 20k...

Since it is a bike with no run and it is 'only' 20k, I think I would go max effort/tolerate power spikes.

If I were doing this race I would really push the bike as hard as I thought I could maintain for the distance. Maybe with a half mile left I would ease up a little bit on the effort to give me 90 seconds or so to try to get the heart rate under control before hitting T2 and running back in to the water.

Your comfort level in the water may not require that 90 seconds of 'recovery'.
2014-08-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Just a 20k...

Since it is a bike with no run and it is 'only' 20k, I think I would go max effort/tolerate power spikes.

If I were doing this race I would really push the bike as hard as I thought I could maintain for the distance. Maybe with a half mile left I would ease up a little bit on the effort to give me 90 seconds or so to try to get the heart rate under control before hitting T2 and running back in to the water.

Your comfort level in the water may not require that 90 seconds of 'recovery'.

Thanks Jason. I say "only" 20k because at under 12.5 miles it is shorter by a long shot than any ride I do multiple times a week. My short ride is 18 miles and my long rides are 30. Hopefully the hills and altitude won't blow me up.

While I have been around the group for quite a while, this is still only my second race so I have a lot of experience yet to gain in a race situation. Looking at the entrants list as of last night I am the oldest male in the S/B/S by over a decade. I am going with the same goals as my first race 20 months ago...finish, do my best and have fun.
2014-08-13 10:09 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee so what your saying is if I want to get better at the hills I need to ride the hills. I know, I know.

OH So you're a masher!

Learn to be a spinner Much easier to get up the hills.

And use your small ring in the front. If you need to re-gear it, go to the LBS and talk to them about it and see what they recommend.

As for next week, you'll be in full on race mode and a little mashing is ok over short distance
2014-08-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Steelhead Race Report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Again, nothing ground breaking. I like writing them so I can go back in a year or two and read how things went. It can be fun

2014-08-13 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
OK guys, I made it a point to maintain a steady cadence throughout the ride today, including uphill. I did a fairly good job save a small part of one hill. Fastest ride I have had since my accident! Now in the interest of full disclosure I am dialing in on some nutrition options in advance of my race but I can't argue with results.

I have a few more rides before I start to back off for the race. I will keep it up and see how it goes.

That's why you guys are the best. Thanks,

2014-08-14 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Following the steady cadence routine and another faster than average ride today. Almost like you guys knew what you were talking about!

Jason thanks for the posts on the tire options. So let me re-ask the question with the Conti's instead of the TriComp's. Any suggestion on psi for racing?

2014-08-14 1:01 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Following the steady cadence routine and another faster than average ride today. Almost like you guys knew what you were talking about!

Jason thanks for the posts on the tire options. So let me re-ask the question with the Conti's instead of the TriComp's. Any suggestion on psi for racing?

Well, they aren't conclusive and vary a little bit between charts....

For me, at 150 pounds I typically run 105-110 PSI and have always been very happy with that. Last weekend I was closer to 115 PSI, which is too high according to the charts, but I really liked how fast the tires seemed to roll at the higher pressure.

Were I you, which I am not , I would likely run my tires at 115-125 PSI. If you have a chance to take the bike out for a spin this afternoon I would do a couple mile loop at 115. Come home, pump them up to 125 and do another couple mile loop. Come home, pump them up to 130 and take them for a spin. See if one of those feels better/smoother/faster to you and go with that pressure.

I don't think that I would go much above 130 even though the sidewall says you can go higher.
2014-08-14 2:17 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Well, they aren't conclusive and vary a little bit between charts....

For me, at 150 pounds I typically run 105-110 PSI and have always been very happy with that. Last weekend I was closer to 115 PSI, which is too high according to the charts, but I really liked how fast the tires seemed to roll at the higher pressure.

Were I you, which I am not , I would likely run my tires at 115-125 PSI. If you have a chance to take the bike out for a spin this afternoon I would do a couple mile loop at 115. Come home, pump them up to 125 and do another couple mile loop. Come home, pump them up to 130 and take them for a spin. See if one of those feels better/smoother/faster to you and go with that pressure.

I don't think that I would go much above 130 even though the sidewall says you can go higher.

psi also is dependent on the rims you are running. what are your wheels?
2014-08-14 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randee I have a Mavic Ksyrium Equipe Wheelset.

Jason, an excellent idea to test different psi. But I thought the max psi on the Conti was 120.

2014-08-14 2:45 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

max pressure 130

http://www.mavic.us/wheels-road-triathlon-ksyrium-equipe-s#.U-0RNPk...

2014-08-14 3:25 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Jason, an excellent idea to test different psi. But I thought the max psi on the Conti was 120.

ok this is really weird but those wheels are on chainlove right now!

http://www.sacalerts.com/

edited - OOPS - GONE!!! They'll be back though!

2014-08-14 4:59 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

My set of Conti GP 4000S tires are still folded up in the box. If you say 120 then I believe you. I might see how 120 feels.....
2014-08-15 5:43 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all! I am finally feeling close to 100%....or as close as someone can feel to 100% at age 52.

Here is a funny cycling video. Jason, is that you in your basement riding?

http://www.vingle.net/posts/449194-Tour-de-Basement?cyc

2014-08-15 7:11 AM
in reply to: slornow

Right knee is hurty.

Did a 1:30 long run, but I think it's because I need new shoes.

Sprint tri next weekend. B/S/B/R.
HM in 3 weeks.

Hoping to do a HIM sometime in between that.

2014-08-15 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
9.25 mile run after work at the end of a long work week. Went much better than expected. It was slow, but consistent with a negative split. Weather was relatively cool at 89 degrees and lower than normal humidity. My first long run in Altras (been doing short runs in them to transition to zero drop). I like them a lot, though they are a little heavy.
2014-08-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nice run Nancy.

Did a little over 40 on the bike with a team mate this morning. Heart rate way high for effort level....so, that makes me think I'm not fully recovered yet. Took my last antibiotic this morning so maybe that's part of the problem.

Here is a video from last weekend on how to remove those pesky "Tri Tatts" that some races use. I was videoing and my team mate was the guinea pig. Definitely only want to try this method if your legs are shaved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsPQNQnRsC0&feature=youtu.be

2014-08-16 5:28 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Randy...that's actually GREAT!!! I had to work the morning after Augusta 70.3, and literally spent a full hour in the bathroom trying to get mine off. Used hand sanitizer, then a loofah, then body scrubs. My skin was raw afterwards. The packing tape is quick and efficient!
2014-08-16 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I got out for a late ride today. The good part, sunshine! The bad part 86 degrees when I left and 90+ by the time I finished. 30 miles of sweat and warm water in my bottle by the time I finished. I am going to put a bottle in the freezer about 25% full of water. Tilt it over about 60% so there is no chance of it rupturing. That should stay cold a little while longer.

My race is one week from today. I don't think its supposed to be 20 months between your first and second tri. Can't wait to get back to it.

Edited by Stuartap 2014-08-16 5:52 PM
2014-08-17 3:15 PM

User image

62 mile bike ride around Clark's Hill Lake (only had one flat tire, one lost rear water bottle cage mount, one sick cyclist and one injured cyclist (who never should've started because he has a bulging disk in his back)). First 2 hours were great...things were pretty rough the last 15 miles in. Regardless, I did a short 2 mile brick run over the dam and back (where I could really feel and enjoy the 96 degree temperatures).

The best part was jumping in the lake afterwards.

Now I'm off to grade papers. I graded 180 yesterday, and have 26 more to do today.

2014-08-17 4:02 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

My race is one week from today. I don't think its supposed to be 20 months between your first and second tri. Can't wait to get back to it.

LOL I was totally scratching my head at first - Stuart made a funny!

Went to VT this weekend. My cousin talked me into doing a small 5K - about 100 people. We EACH won our age groups! LOL Next year she'll be in my AG so then I'll be 2nd

Today was my last long workout before my 70.3 and tomorrow is registration day for IMMT. I'm going for it. One minute I'm excited and the next I want to throw up.

I hope I'll be ready for this...... my new slogan is: Run, walk or crawl; all legal!
2014-08-17 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Nancy the 62 mile ride sound like fun (sans the flat tire, lost cage mount etc.), the 2 mile brick run NOT, but the jumping in the lake at the end would be great fun!

Randee so you are excited one minute and want to throw up the next. Go ahead and throw up, you’ll feel better and have that behind you. Then just focus on the excited part. I’d be lying if I said I never threw up before an event. Always swam well afterward though.
2014-08-17 5:34 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Back Up North again. I did a local Olympic tri this morning. I did the same race two years ago, four minutes slower, and won my AG. Today, faster, better, more complete tri and I was third AG, seventh OA. Fifth through tenth were all male 40-44. Some fast guys in my AG. I'll post more about it when I'm not doing it from the phone.

Having a great time with the family. I could get used to this life of leisure thing
2014-08-17 5:39 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Ps. I almost caught the guy who was second in my AG but ran out of real estate. Bummer. Another 0.5 miles and I won have got him
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19322 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.