BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-08-17 7:15 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by Stuartap

Nancy the 62 mile ride sound like fun (sans the flat tire, lost cage mount etc.), the 2 mile brick run NOT, but the jumping in the lake at the end would be great fun!

Randee so you are excited one minute and want to throw up the next. Go ahead and throw up, you’ll feel better and have that behind you. Then just focus on the excited part. I’d be lying if I said I never threw up before an event. Always swam well afterward though.

Stuart, the good news is that NONE of those things happened to me! I actually had a pretty decent ride. I lost my mojo a bit miles 25-33 as I stayed behind the rider with the bad back and helped him gimp to the nearest town where he could hang out at a gas station while waiting on a ride from home. After riding that slowly (like 10-12 mph), it was hard to get my legs jamming again. That poor guy...he was as white as a ghost. He's been a paratrooper for 15 years, and he says he's done one too many jumps.

Randee...my mantra always is, "If I sign up, I will train." I think it's pretty normal to have those excited pukey feelings.

2014-08-18 12:36 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Randee...my mantra always is, "If I sign up, I will train." I think it's pretty normal to have those excited pukey feelings.

There's no going back now!
2014-08-19 2:51 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I had a goal of getting under 200# for this tri. Just weighed in this morning at 199.3! Feels a lot better than the 220 I was at in early June. Got another 10 to go before I get to where I was when I had the accident but happy with my progress.

I have a short ride today then an easy 2000 yards in the pool tomorrow to relax everything. Thursday morning we leave for CO.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2014-08-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: slornow

Knee is still wonky. Bought new shoes, went for a run, kinda feels better but got a blister.

Going for a run tonight and then hammer out a long trainer ride.
My training tanked the last two weeks because I put in a 50 hr work week with weekends and had the knee twinge.

Maybe a sprint tri this weekend if I can convince the Mrs. to let me have $50 and the knee says ok.

AND I've also been eating way too many cookies with ice cream this week.
They knew my one weakness.
2014-08-19 7:50 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Stuartap I had a goal of getting under 200# for this tri. Just weighed in this morning at 199.3! Feels a lot better than the 220 I was at in early June. Got another 10 to go before I get to where I was when I had the accident but happy with my progress. I have a short ride today then an easy 2000 yards in the pool tomorrow to relax everything. Thursday morning we leave for CO. Anyone else racing this weekend?

Nice job Stuart....crushed that 200 goal! I hope you have a great race. You definitely deserve it. I suspect just getting back out there will feel like a victory. Don't forget to have fun and appreciate all you have accomplished just to get to the starting line.

I'm signed up to race a longish sprint Saturday in Destin Florida. Still not quite 100% but its always a fun race and a good party on a beautiful stretch of the Gulf. Hottest week of the Summer so far with heat index 105+. Race starts at 6:30 so it will only be around 85 then.

2014-08-19 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks Randy. Yes just being able to compete again is a win in my book.

Have fun at the race on Sat. It's always doubly nice when the event is for a good cause.

2014-08-21 6:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Stuart- You're going to have a great race this weekend. I can't wait to hear all about it. Congrats on the weight loss.

Things are a little busy around our house with school starting back up next week. It's always hard to get back in the swing of trying to fit in work, life and training after having the summer off. I teach elementary PE which is the best job in the school! Actually the most important class in school as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-08-21 6:33 AM
2014-08-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Getting ready to head out the door to drive to CO. Long drive today, shorter drive on Friday.

Just got an update from the RD. They had to change the bike route due to a road chip seal project. A bit shorter now.

Also, the water temp today is 72. It is wetsuit legal. I know this topic has been hashed out many times but at that temp not sure I want to wear one for the first swim. What do you guys think for a 700 meter swim?

Thanks again for all the support. I will be checking in late tonight or tomorrow.

2014-08-21 10:35 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-72 isn't bad. Depends on the air temp as well. For me, I try to wear a wetsuit whenever possible. For a real swimmer probably not a big deal. Safe travels!

2014-08-21 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Stuart...have a fantastic weekend!
2014-08-21 10:43 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart- If I had your swim skills I would probably skip the wetsuit for a 700 meter swim in 72 degree water. Good luck and have fun with your return to multisport.

Randee- I saw your tt thread about where to stay at MT. My 2 cents is that you should do everything you can to stay in the village. Arend (Axteraa), stayed at a place that was very centrally located if I recall correctly. I think he posted it to your thread. Part of the real charm of that race for both my wife and me was that we parked the car when we arrived and then didn't drive again until we left. It was so nice to be right there in the village. I wouldn't do it any other way.

2014-08-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow, looks like it is going to be super hot for IM Louisville this weekend. I know a few people doing it. Jamie, I bet you are glad you are not headed back this year. IM Chattanooga should be cooler....I hope.

I'm headed to Destin, FL this afternoon for a sprint tomorrow morning. Dang, it is hot. This morning I checked the Destin Weather and it was 80 degrees with a heat index of 90 at 5:30am. Race starts at 6:30am but I'm in a late wave so in the water by 7:00am and hopefully finishing around 8:30. Going to be a hot one. It feels like I've lost a good bit of fitness over the last month....guess we will see tomorrow.    

Edited by slornow 2014-08-22 10:32 AM
2014-08-22 10:23 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Stuart- If I had your swim skills I would probably skip the wetsuit for a 700 meter swim in 72 degree water. Good luck and have fun with your return to multisport.

Randee- I saw your tt thread about where to stay at MT. My 2 cents is that you should do everything you can to stay in the village. Arend (Axteraa), stayed at a place that was very centrally located if I recall correctly. I think he posted it to your thread. Part of the real charm of that race for both my wife and me was that we parked the car when we arrived and then didn't drive again until we left. It was so nice to be right there in the village. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Thanks - I've found a bunch of condos just off the village on the mountain side that I think will fit the bill nicely

So anyone ever try a dash saddle? OMG THE MOST COMFORTABLE SADDLE EVER except it's $400. Really? How about some ti rails instead of carbon :D Anyway, I had a retul fit and we made some changes and we put on a Specialized Ruby saddle - hopefully, I won't hate it and go buy the Dash

Stuart - have a good time buddy! and I'd probably skip the wetsuit on swim 2. I can't imagine trying to put on a wet wetsuit! But I see some people do it! Maybe practice first!
2014-08-22 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Randee...interesting on the Dash. Which one did you try? A few guys in our tri club ride in them. I've never seen them anywhere that you could try one.
2014-08-22 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Wow, looks like it is going to be super hot for IM Louisville this weekend. I know a few people doing it. Jamie, I bet you are glad you are not headed back this year. IM Chattanooga should be cooler....I hope.

I'm headed to Destin, FL this afternoon for a sprint tomorrow morning. Dang, it is hot. This morning I checked the Destin Weather and it was 80 degrees with a heat index of 90 at 5:30am. Race starts at 6:30am but I'm in a late wave so in the water by 7:00am and hopefully finishing around 8:30. Going to be a hot one. It feels like I've lost a good bit of fitness over the last month....guess we will see tomorrow.    

Yeah, I would be terrified if I were doing Louisville this weekend. I just talked with a teammate who signed up for it this week, sort of on a whim. He wanted some advice from me since I'd done it, and I told him what I could, but I really just had to say good luck. To me, it would be all about survival when it's 100 degrees and you're starting the marathon!
2014-08-23 6:18 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee...interesting on the Dash. Which one did you try? A few guys in our tri club ride in them. I've never seen them anywhere that you could try one.

LOL I don't even know. I told them - DON'T PUT THAT ON because I'm not buying it. DAMN EVERYONE! LOL

I took a pic while I was there

(IMG_20140820_152422666.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140820_152422666.jpg (3786KB - 3 downloads)

2014-08-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

11 miles this morning. Kept a nice, steady pace for the first 8 miles with a decent RPE, then the wheels fell off pretty quickly. Didn't help that it was in the mid 90s by the time I finished. The last 3 miles were REALLY rough. My heartrate was through the roof and I couldn't run slow enough to keep it down, so lots of run/walking the last bit.
2014-08-23 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Good luck, Stuart! I hope you have a great race, you've earned it.

Just finished up my long ride of the week, about 102mi. I had to get a really early start to beat the heat; it's about 94 right now, and I finished about 1/2 hour ago. All in all, other than being tired toward the beginning, it was a really good ride. I'm feeling good about nutrition for once. Salt pills at the bottom of every hour, Gu or oatmeal creme pie at the top, and I never drink water. I've been using Perform and it works well. I kept that routine the whole way and feel just fine now that I'm all through. Good times!
2014-08-23 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5042595

User image

Jamie...I realize IMChoo is hosted by Little Debbie, but Oatmeal Creme Pies would have me barfing rather quickly. You must have an Iron gut
2014-08-23 7:04 PM

User image

Master

Randee- love that Dash saddle. I bet it's well worth $400.00

Jamie- nice ride today. Glad to hear your nutrition is working out.

I had a bike/run brick today. The first 1:30 of the bike workout was a lot harder than it should have been given the watts. Got off the trainer and discovered a huge bulge in the tire that had been rubbing the brakes and thumping the entire time. If the IPod wasn't cranked up so loud I would have probably heard the thump earlier. Changed the tire and got back on the bike to finish up the other 1:20 of the workout. It was almost 11 by the time I started out on the run which is way too late to be running here at this time of the year. Made the mistake of taking a late (long) nap this afternoon and woke up at 5. It's going to be hard to get to bed early tonight. I need to be out on the road between 5-6 in the morning before it really starts to heat up for my long run.

School starts back up on Monday. I'm in the process of cooking and packing meals and snacks for the week. Hubby has learned over the years that I'm normally exhausted the first few weeks of school. He has conveniently scheduled a business trip out of town for the week.  

2014-08-23 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Jamie...I realize IMChoo is hosted by Little Debbie, but Oatmeal Creme Pies would have me barfing rather quickly. You must have an Iron gut

I know; I thought it was crazy at first, too! The first time I tried them was for reasons of principle. When they announced their sponsorship, so many people complained about it-loudly. However, when I looked at them, it turns out they're a good company with a strong presence in the community. Then I saw a nutritional comparison between the OCPs and a Stinger Waffle...and they're pretty similar. I figured, why not? Now I can say they're crazy cheap, I stomach them well, and they're good hot or cold. I don't eat more than one or two, but they're a nice change from Gu's.

2014-08-23 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Catwoman

Randee- love that Dash saddle. I bet it's well worth $400.00

Jamie- nice ride today. Glad to hear your nutrition is working out.

I had a bike/run brick today. The first 1:30 of the bike workout was a lot harder than it should have been given the watts. Got off the trainer and discovered a huge bulge in the tire that had been rubbing the brakes and thumping the entire time. If the IPod wasn't cranked up so loud I would have probably heard the thump earlier. Changed the tire and got back on the bike to finish up the other 1:20 of the workout. It was almost 11 by the time I started out on the run which is way too late to be running here at this time of the year. Made the mistake of taking a late (long) nap this afternoon and woke up at 5. It's going to be hard to get to bed early tonight. I need to be out on the road between 5-6 in the morning before it really starts to heat up for my long run.

School starts back up on Monday. I'm in the process of cooking and packing meals and snacks for the week. Hubby has learned over the years that I'm normally exhausted the first few weeks of school. He has conveniently scheduled a business trip out of town for the week.  

I've done the same thing on my trainer. It felt a little off, but I didn't notice the small pile of accumulating rubber until I was nearly done. I just counted it as riding uphill!

As far as school goes, I'm getting ready to start my 3rd week teaching, so I know how it is to start a school year! The fact that I'm in peak-IM training and starting out the school year at my new school is why I haven't been on in awhile. I'm feeling at least 1% more comfortable now, so I had to catch up on entering my workouts, etc.
2014-08-23 9:41 PM
in reply to: #5042780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Well I finished. The good news is it could have been worse. No wait...it could not have been worse.

First we had people in the room next to us that liked their tv loud and slept with it on all night.

Then something I ate did not agree with me and I HAD to use the bathroom at 2:30am. Then four more times before we left for the event. It took everything out of me. Well figuratively speaking but not literally. I hit the facilities another three times before the race, twice after at the event and again back at the hotel!

Because I was feeling so bad I ate almost nothing. So no fuel and completely wiped out before the race began.

Next the swim was a 200 yard dash from transition. I was in the middle of the pack at the start but by the time we got to the water I was way towards the back. The buoy you had to turn at was yellow and directly in the line of the rising sun. You could not see it. Plus I simply could not catch my breath and felt like I was going to throw up thru the whole swim. I ended up swimming mostly backstroke. Then of course the 200 yard WALK back to transition.

The bike was slow since I still wanted to throw up and still couldn't catch my breath, even on the downhill runs. The combination of how I was feeling and altitude just killed me.

The the long walk back down for the second swim, awful swim, long walk back to transition and finally a 100 plus walk to the finish.

I was feeling so bad other than the two trip to the bathroom we went straight to the car. Don't know what my time was but I do know the two swims were my worst ever. Ok maybe when I was 5 or 6 years old I swam slower.

Not sure doing a race report is of any value! But I did finish it and will hit the training even harder when we get home next week. Heading to AZ to see my dad.
2014-08-23 10:33 PM

User image

Master

Stuart, sorry to hear that you were sick at your race. That makes for a miserable day. Are you feeling better yet? On a positive note a bad race is a hell of a lot better than not being able to race at all. I bet your worst swim is better than anything I could ever do in the pool or OW.

2014-08-24 3:47 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Yeah, what Rene said.

It sounds like a rough day but that you weathered the storm and got it done. Weaker folks might have just folded up and come back another day. I know you have waited a long time to get back to this and that it would have taken a lot more than a stomach bug to sideline you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19415 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.