BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-08-24 5:44 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
I agree with everyone else, Stuart. A weaker person would've called it a day before the race started, so good job pushing through and getting to the end.

Now I'm off for my long run. This 99% humidity is going to feel great...

2014-08-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Staurt-YOU FINISHED! Appreciate what you accomplished in spite of feeling ill. The more I do triathlons the more I realize/appreciate it is a process....especially on race day. Don't guage your success by how things went yesterday.....think about what you have gone through over the months to get to the point that you could get back out there. Sure, it wasn't the race you wanted to have but you are back at it and sounds like you have even more motivation. Hang in there.

I had my first DNF yesterday at Sandestin. I'll have to admit that I felt pretty burned out heading into and during the race. I had a pretty good swim and kept the bike pretty moderate to allow for the heat. Headed out of T2 and about 300-400 yards into the run my hamstring locked up. Walked a bit and it wasn't getting any better. So, I walked back to the finish and turned in my chip. I suspect that if this had been an early season race I would have tried to push through.....but the hamstring kind of gave me an "excuse" to quit. Of course now I'm pissed at myself for not being stronger mentally. 

OK, some self analysis. My season started in early April and I was pleased with my results all the way through my races at the end of July....7 races. I was sick heading into AG Nationals and feel like I have lost alot of fitness due to a combination of the illness/medication and minimal training. Now, when I'm training or racing I'm still guaging my effort/performance against where I was at my strongest in late July rather than my current fitness level. That's just stupid and likely why I feel that I am "burned out."  I have two more races left this year.....a sprint in 2 weeks and another sprint in October. The race in two weeks is a short sprint that I'm doing with a buddy who has only done a couple of races....so it will be a "fun" race. 

I have not decided what my schedule will be next year but given the long race season down here I'm thinking of breaking it up into two "mini" seasons. April through early June 3-4 races. June and July modderate training and then August-October 3-4 races. I'm thinking a little break from the intensity of hard training and racing in late June and July might make it easier to stay motivated through October. Of course this sounds reasonable right now but whether I will take my own advice remains to be seen.

I've been kind of bummed since yesterday and thinking alot about it so just wanted to try to put it into words. Not likely helpful to anyone but me but I guess the moral of the story is that we can't always have the race we want or think we "deserve" based on our training but we have to mentally recognize what we can give physically that day and go with it.  Sometimes I think our mental effort level is more critical on race day to having a good race than our physical readiness.

Have a good day folks!      

2014-08-24 8:42 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master

Riding on the bulge in my tire yesterday royally pissed off my knee. It was swollen and locking yesterday after my nap. Still swollen this morning but I thought it would loosen up during my run. Ran 3 miles this morning and it wasn't getting any better and felt really tight. Decided it would be STUPID to continue to run 8 more miles on it at this point in my IM build cycle. A part of me thinks that I should have been able to push through it. But having done that in 2013 and losing a season to being stubborn I decided to try to be smarter this time. 

2014-08-24 11:12 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, sorry to hear about the DNF. I know that throwing in the towel couldn't have been easy. I think it's a different kind of persistence and tenacity to pull the plug when you know you need to, so hats off to you!

It sounds like we're all dealing with mid/late-season ailments/bumps/bruises, etc. I finished my run this morning, which was really hot and really, really long. My foot has been bothering me; I think my bungee laces were too tight and it bothered the top of my foot, which has just stayed bothered with accumulating mileage.

Anyhow, during my Friday run I slowed down and let me pace go easy and it felt better. So, this morning I let my pace sit at a number I usually don't like to see, but I made myself take it easy. Well, a couple hours later it all paid off: my foot was hurting a little, but it was manageable and my last mile was faster than my first, which means that I paced it right, I think.

This is probably good advice for us all: my run was today's run. It wasn't the run I ran last month, or later this Fall, and my foot hurt some. I just had to run with the legs I had, in the weather that was forecasted. You can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
2014-08-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Stuart, while your body didn't give you the race that you wanted, you just banked extra in the mental fortitude department. Chin up. It doesn't seem that long ago you were hobbling around on crutches.

I rode 50 miles today, and for the first time, rode solo. The "Wildwood Games" were this weekend, so most of my tri buddies were participating in a 10K, half, full or ultra marathon trail run. While I like being with other people when I ride my bike (for safety reasons, mainly), I must say that I rode a hell of a lot harder without them. The last 30 miles were into a pretty decent headwind that only got worse the closer I got to my car. Legs were pretty shot at 45 miles, but I got it done.

Riding today was a much better decision versus yesterday. Yesterday was 98 degrees and high humidity. Today, when I got back to my car at 11:00, it was only 83 degrees. Score one for me.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-08-24 11:47 AM
2014-08-24 8:02 PM

Keep your head up Randy.
You toed the starting line and gave it your best.
Think of the damage you could've done had you decided to tough it out.
I think you know you did the smart thing.

Today I DIDN'T DO a local sprint tri.
The reg fee jumped from last year, and I decided to save some money for a HM and my 10 yr wedding anniversary next week.
Talked to a guy who participated and some volunteers.
I'm kinda bummed about not racing, but it's over and done with.

So instead I swam laps at the pool (last day of the season) and ran home.
Oh...it's only a little 10K run, with one serious unrelenting continuous climb the entire f'n way.

I'm back feeling good and starting the training up again.
I've decided a homegrown HIM is probably the only tri I'm doing.

My wife is a graphic designer so I'll get her to make me a logo design and I'll post it here.

2014-08-25 10:03 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Sounds like a rough weekend all around.

Stuart so sorry to hear about the stomach upset. I think that's even worse than a muscle pain etc because it totally kills every event! Way to tough it out though!

Randy - rough day too! Sorry about the hammy.

Weekend was pretty good. Rode the roadie 65 miles on Saturday and Sunday ran with a friend in her first 10K.

Just under 2 weeks to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
2014-08-25 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Registration opens today for IM Louisville...Decisions, decisions. It would be nice to have a rematch with my nemesis, but I'm also unsure about tackling another full for the 3rd year in a row. Hmmmmm...

Well, that's that. I pulled the trigger. Here we go again...

Edited by WoodrowCall 2014-08-25 11:48 AM
2014-08-25 12:11 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Registration opens today for IM Louisville...Decisions, decisions. It would be nice to have a rematch with my nemesis, but I'm also unsure about tackling another full for the 3rd year in a row. Hmmmmm...

Well, that's that. I pulled the trigger. Here we go again...

LOL That didn't take long!

Congrats
2014-08-25 1:55 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Registration opens today for IM Louisville...Decisions, decisions. It would be nice to have a rematch with my nemesis, but I'm also unsure about tackling another full for the 3rd year in a row. Hmmmmm... Well, that's that. I pulled the trigger. Here we go again...

HaHa! How does that Kool Aid taste? Just kidding. Hats off to all of you IM folks. Not sure I have it in me to do the work through a long hot Summer to stay motivated for a Fall IM. Although I do understand that you have a score to settle in Lousiville. Go for it!

2014-08-25 5:20 PM

User image

Master

Jamie- Do you think the swim is fast at IMLOU compared to other IM's?

2014-08-26 4:55 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Catwoman

Jamie- Do you think the swim is fast at IMLOU compared to other IM's?

Randy, the Koolaid is apparently pretty addictive. I wasn't 100% I wanted to do another, but there were some factors that convinced me: 1. the GF wanted to do it, which is cool. 2. her brother signed up, and it'll be his first. So that's a potential training buddy nearby. 3. I definitely have a score to settle with IM Louisville, plus I can tell everyone there that I did it when it was hard! haha

As far as the swim goes, I think it is fast. I did it in 1:14 last year, and I am NOT a fast swimmer. You go upstream for a ways, and then turn into the current, which definitely adds speed. I really liked the swim.
2014-08-26 7:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Holy cow!

I just finished five days in a row of working over night. Usually I will get some reasonable sleep one or two of those nights but not this stretch. I was pretty much up all night long every night. It crushed my will to live. I tried to train through it and failed horribly. Yesterday I sent my coach an email to tell him that I was not going to do 70.3 WC and that I was thinking very seriously about bagging IMAZ as well. He called, we talked, and he got me off the ledge. Plus I slept for eight straight hours and feel like a human again.

So, yes, I am going to go do 70.3 WC. I may pull back just a little from suicide pace and try to enjoy the event just a little bit more..... Of course I have said that before and never really manage to do it on race day.

Jamie-- Awesome on Louisville. I have sworn that I am not doing an IM next year but Louisville in October is very enticing. Don't tell my wife I said that......
2014-08-27 9:39 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Holy cow!

I just finished five days in a row of working over night. Usually I will get some reasonable sleep one or two of those nights but not this stretch. I was pretty much up all night long every night. It crushed my will to live. I tried to train through it and failed horribly. Yesterday I sent my coach an email to tell him that I was not going to do 70.3 WC and that I was thinking very seriously about bagging IMAZ as well. He called, we talked, and he got me off the ledge. Plus I slept for eight straight hours and feel like a human again.

So, yes, I am going to go do 70.3 WC. I may pull back just a little from suicide pace and try to enjoy the event just a little bit more..... Of course I have said that before and never really manage to do it on race day.

I really don't know how you do that work schedule and stay sane!! Glad you're off the ledge.

Meanwhile my mother is putting ME out on a ledge because she thinks I'm going to drop dead training for IMMT. She sent me a random article in the Internet written by an ophthalmologist that says training at high intensity all the time is bad. DUHHHHHHHHHH It also leads the reader to believe that endurance training causes coronary artery disease. It's going to be a very long year..........
2014-08-27 10:19 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
So I am back home after the whirlwind trip to CO. Seeing my Dad (age 85 who regularly shoots his age on the golf course) and my aunt & uncle (both age 89) really gave me some perspective about my miserable race this past weekend.

Randy you are right, it is a process. I’m in it for a long ride so I will take the finish and move on. Thanks to all for your words of encouragement.

Randy sorry about the DNF. Being ‘stronger mentally’ and pushing on might have been the worst thing you could have done. A bad hamstring injury would have put you in far worse shape than any one race is worth.

Jason there was a day when I would push myself so hard I would only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night. Then about every 5-6 weeks I would completely crash. I would fall into bed when I got home on Friday night and sleep until dinner time on Saturday. NOT GOOD. You should try to nap at least to give the body some rest.

Out now to walk the dogs and then a ride later this morning.
2014-08-27 5:18 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuart, I am actually a world champion napper. I can fall asleep any time, any where, with pretty much anything going on around me. It is one of the few benefits of chronic sleep deprivation. The only problem is if I take my nap too late in the day it screws up my evening sleep.

I had a very nice swim and run today. My swim was pretty hard with almost no rest between intervals. It was really too hard for me to make some of the intervals. I was finishing the last interval after the 'send-off' of the next interval. It almost made me wonder if I got the wrong athlete's swim workout for the day. It was challenging. I was doing 200s almost as hard as I could go and then starting my next one with 3-6 seconds rest. It built up some mental fortitude for sure.

My run was on the treadmill for various reasons but for the first time in days my legs felt pretty darn good.

Overall a good day and a nice rebound from the depths of despair on Sunday and Monday.

2014-08-27 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason I too love to nap. I can nap for 15 or 20 minutes and be ready to go again. My wife on the other hand can only sleep. If she naps she is more tired than if she didn't bother.

I was planning on riding early today but my scheduled got jammed up and I didn't get out until 2:00. When I rolled out it was 95.3 degrees and 99.2 when I rolled back in an hour later. In a word...HOT. Other than losing three pounds to sweat it was a decent ride. Nice to get out on the road after several days of driving.

Now I need to ramp up the running just a little with the ADA Step Out Walk to Stop Diabetes coming up in 7 weeks.

2014-08-28 9:36 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
My wife can't nap either. She gets a "nap hangover" and is pretty much useless after a nap. It's full on bedtime or nothing for her.

I had another nice swim this morning. 3,700 yards done by 6:10. I'm not getting much faster but I feel like my ability to maintain my pace is getting better. The longer sets aren't quite as intimidating and don't hurt as much. I was playing around with my stroke, trying to pull harder through the back half of the stroke to see if it made me faster. Maybe a little bit but not much. I'm still having a hard time kicking efficiently and regularly. If I stop thinking about it for even a second I forget to kick. If I think about the kick too much, my arms get all wonky So many little things to try to fix that a natural/compeitive swimmer does unconsciously.

I would like to set up a camera so I can see what I am doing in the water. I'm not sure the gym would approve. They seem to have a lot of concerns that no one take pictures of any one at the gym........ Believe me, I don't want to take any photos of the water aerobics folks in the lane next to me. My eyes, my eyes!
2014-08-28 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason when you say if you stop thinking about kicking then you stop kicking, is that entirely accurate? What often happens is your kick may slow down, which is something you can actually use to refine your kick or does it actually stop?

If it stops then yes you have a problem. More often though the kick slows to a two beat shallow kick. This provides you with the balance and rhythm you need but little propulsion. This is OK. Once you get the balance/rhythm kick as part of your muscle memory you can slowly increase the power and speed in that order. This will be particularly helpful in longer swims.

I know I sound like a broken record but if you want to work on your kick, especially getting more power from your kick, do some kick drills on your back, hands fully extended above your head. Focus on the upkick for power, not necessarily speed. Kicking too fast with throw off your timing. Getting more power from your kick will allow you to maintain your form but get more push from your kick.

If you can get that video of your kick I would love to see it.
2014-08-28 7:40 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It feels like I stop kicking but my daughter says that I am still kicking but very slow. Probably closer to that two beat kick you described. It is interesting that I have a little 'hitch' in my kick when I breathe to the left that I don't seem to have when breathing to the right but I am also consistently overall faster and smoother breathing to the left. I think I have gotten close on the balance and rhythm. I am not really trying to get too much power out of the kick, just to have a nice easy six beat kick that doesn't sap too much energy and 'drives' my stroke a little bit instead of just being an afterthought..

I did 300 yards of kicking on my back in the streamline position today. I did use fins but I really tried to get the lower leg to whip forward for power.

I'll see if I can find a video that has my kick in it to show you.
2014-08-28 7:42 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Anyone have big plans or races for the holiday weekend?

I am working overnight tonight but that gives me the day off tomorrow and then a four day weekend.

No real plans for me. Just going to hang out with the family, get in some training and maybe try to knock out some of the chores that I have been ignoring all summer.

2014-08-28 8:08 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Pretty quiet weekend planned here. Solid weekend of training on the schedule. Definitely looking forward to watching some college football. Both of the kids are back at school so getting back into empty nest mode. Kind of glad to have a long weekend at home.

2014-08-28 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Just a long ride on Saturday for me. Then my wife and I are going to try to teach our 30 year old lawyer daughter how to ride a bike. She just never had any interest as a child. This should be interesting.

I had a different ride today. Usually I have a small headwind out and a tailwind on the return. Today the wind was turned around and blowing a bit harder than usual, 10-12 mph. So with my tailwind I zipped out the end of my long straightaway (11 miles out) in record time. Unfortunately I had to turn around and do the 12.4 mile return route with the biggest climb towards the end in the headwind. 30 minutes out, 49 minutes back in low 90 degree weather.

When I walked in the door from hanging up my bike in the garage my wife says to me "Are you supposed to look like that when you finish a ride"? I looked like I had been beat up as bad as I felt. A shower and a bite to eat and I looked and felt a lot better.

Tomorrow is a rest day so a short 10 miles round trip ride to my PT. No therapy, just a quick visit to set up some time to use the weight machines for a few weeks.

2014-08-29 9:02 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Only workout for today was 3000 swim. Got up early and got it done as weather looked iffy around lunch time. Hopefully, my legs will appreciate a rest day and be ready for bike and run both Saturday and Sunday. Trying hard to regain some fitness I lost.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2014-08-29 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Anyone have big plans or races for the holiday weekend?

I am working overnight tonight but that gives me the day off tomorrow and then a four day weekend.

No real plans for me. Just going to hang out with the family, get in some training and maybe try to knock out some of the chores that I have been ignoring all summer.

I don't have a race, but I've got a heavy training weekend, actually my heaviest yet. I have a 6-hour planned for Saturday, and a 3-hour run on Sunday. The GF and I are going to try and get to her parents' lake house sometime, but I doubt we'll make it the way my training schedule looks.

Man, I'm ready for the race to get here; this peak volume training is getting old! I feel like a zombie.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19488 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.