BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-08-29 9:22 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Man, I'm ready for the race to get here; this peak volume training is getting old! I feel like a zombie.

yep. The peak of IM training is brutal. But just think of how you are going to crush this race like a bug!

2014-08-29 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I had a big training weekend planned...alas, 3 weeks around 8th graders and my sinus crud from earlier this week has settled in my chest. My coughs are at least productive. I'm going to take a few easy days & see where I stand. I'm 4 weeks from Augusta and certainly don't want to end up with bronchitis or pneumonia.
2014-08-29 6:06 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs I had a big training weekend planned...alas, 3 weeks around 8th graders and my sinus crud from earlier this week has settled in my chest. My coughs are at least productive. I'm going to take a few easy days & see where I stand. I'm 4 weeks from Augusta and certainly don't want to end up with bronchitis or pneumonia.

Good call. A few easy days to recover then back at it. Hope you feel better!  

2014-08-30 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Nancy, I hope you feel better soon. Go to the doctor and see if they can give you something before that crud settles into your chest.

Today was the first day that I've been able to sleep in in a long time. Since I only have a bike (3 hours) on the schedule there was no need to get up at 5 to get started. Not having to factor in running in the heat made a huge difference in the plans. Slept in until 7. Wow! Is this what the rest of the world does?

I'm still having problems wrapping my head around the fact that I have a HIM in 2 weeks and an IM coming up in November. I spent such a long time training with AG Nationals as the focus that it has been hard to make the mental shift over to the upcoming races.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. It's raining here this weekend.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-08-30 8:29 AM
2014-08-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: slornow

My training has taken a huge nose dive.

3 weeks of nearly 50 hrs at work and I am spent.
I have a HM next weekend that I hope to PR, but my S and B has really just dropped out.
Had a good second wind but fell flat rather quickly.

At least I'm putting on my own HIM and not a sanctioned race.
I think that has taken the urgency out of training though.

Still waiting on my wife for the logo.
It will be cool I think.

Going to do some riding and running today. Even if it kills me.

2014-08-30 3:51 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Its been hot in the afternoons so I got out early for my 30 mile ride. Decided to punish myself a bit so I did my usual 18 mile ride which has one hill at the front and back end but then added 12 miles of all hills. I hate hills. But I did manage to pass two solo riders and one pair on the climbs. It doesn't really mean much but makes you feel a little better when you see a little progress. In the past I was always the guy getting passed on the hills.

I am playing around with nutrition a bit. What do you guys do on a 2-3 hour ride? Next weekend I have a 50 miler mapped out which I expect to be around 3 hours give or take. It will be my longest ride since returning post accident. Any favorite nutrition tips?

Thanks in advance..

2014-08-30 4:48 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Stuart-for a 2-3 hour ride, I usually go with liquids (Gatorade, Perform, water), and maybe a couple Gu's if I'm feeling hungry. You might have different needs based on whether you feel hungry or not, or whether you like Gu's at all.

For my part, I feel like I'm finally knowing what I'm doing, at least a little bit. I had a 109 mile ride this morning, and my legs felt really tired to begin. However, it went really well, and I feel like I'm getting the hang of my nutrition. Salt on the bottom of the hour, no water, Gu's (Espresso and Salted Caramel) at the top of the hour, and alternate those with a new addition: Larabars. I tried them this morning and really liked them. I got done with the ride, and I was certainly tired, but I did a test brick run of three miles and, while it was of course slow, my stomach felt fine and I felt well-hydrated. It was rainy this morning, but really humid, so I made sure to drink plenty throughout the ride and run.

I'm feeling really good about where I am with Chattanooga less than a month away. Now, if I can only survive tomorrow's three hour run and one more week of peak training, I'll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
2014-08-30 5:24 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-if you want something solid but nothing substantial some GU Chomps gives you some calories, caffeine with certain flavors and a little something solid in your stomach. 50 miles is a good while to be on the bike so calories and fluids are definitely needed....even more so in the heat.

Dang it was hot here this morning. Yeah, its South Alabama so no shocker there. Garmin showed 94 degrees at 9:00am and no doubt the humidity was high. I had a decent workout with a series of bike/run intervals. Unfortunately, the battery in my PT hub died about an hour in on the bike so it is hard to judge power on intervals without it......although I know my effort level was good as my HR was high. Got home and washed and waxed my car....not ideal for recovery.

Now its time for football. Roll Tide......not to encouraged by their performance thus far.   

2014-08-30 10:45 PM

User image

Master

Stuart, I tend to only use liquid (UCAN) and Gels on the bike. Nutrition every 15 minutes with a GU at the top of the hour. I always keep Honey Stinger waffles on the bike in case of emergency. 
When I was a roadie we would stop a gas stations for snacks on 50+ mile rides. My favorite go-to food was a Mountain Dew, lime salted peanuts, Payday candy bars.. But that was when I wasn't running off the bike.

Today my legs were trashed during the bike workout.  Sucked down every bit of nutrition in the house during the workout. Then at 8:50 tonight remembered there weren't any GU's left in the house for my long run early tomorrow morning. Jumped in the car and rushed off to the store. I sat at a light for over 5 minutes. Finally got tired of waiting and ran the red light.. Yeah.. you can probably figure out where this story is going. Out of nowhere a cop pops up and pulls me over. He didn't seem impressed by my urgency to get GU's for my long run as a legitimate excuse to break the law.

hmm.. Tomorow's run is going to be one of the most expensive runs that I've done in a while.. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-08-30 10:49 PM
2014-08-31 6:48 AM

User image

Rene...that just stinks!

Stuart, like Rene, I use Ucan. If I'm only riding, and not doing a brick run after, I tend to drink my 2-3 scoops before my ride, and then just drink water, eat 2 peanut butter filled pretzels every 15 minutes (they store nicely in a bag in my top tube) and a saltstick tablet every 45 minutes. If I'm running after, I'll drink less Ucan before and carry a serving on the bike that I'll drink just past the midpoint on the bike.

I also carry a Bonk Breaker or a Birdie Bar with me just in case.
2014-08-31 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Well, all-time high volume this weekend for me. I hit 20 miles for my long run this morning, which is the farthest I've ever gone, other than IMLou. It wasn't easy, which I guess goes without saying. My legs were pretty sore from yesterday, but luckily it was raining throughout the morning so the worst of the heat didn't hit until I was done. I had a rough mile around Mile 10, but I took a Gu and felt better almost immediately. Overall, I'm happy. I was really consistent with my pacing, and my last few miles were as fast, or faster, than my first three miles, so I guess I did something right. Feet up the rest of the day, and recovery day tomorrow! Only one more week of this Peak volume nonsense!

2014-08-31 6:03 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-that's great. Sounds like training is going well and the nutrition is getting dialed in. How is the new job going? Getting much time in on the road bike?

Nancy-you feeling better?

Rene-you post bail and get your run in?

I had an hour run this morning followed by an easy hour on the bike. Legs definitely felt yesterday's workout on the run. Bike was really just an easy spin but even then I could feel it after the hour. The rest of the day has been relaxing......love having a 3 day weekend. 

2014-08-31 7:17 PM
in reply to: #5045354

User image

Randy, thanks for checking on me. I'm pretty much a sneezing, hacking mess. It probably didn't help that I decided that today was the day to really rid the bedroom of dog hair (walls wiped, furniture moved, everything vacuumed, curtains washed, blinds dusted, EVERYTHING was cleaned). I'm pretty wheeze, but I'm coughing crud up, so that's good.

I also learned that my co-teacher and I were" Rickrolled" by a student on Friday. I'd never heard of it before...I just thought my 8th grade boys liked Rick Astley' s song, "Never Gonna Give You Up."
2014-08-31 7:19 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy-I'm loving the road bike. It's really nice to be able to switch it up during the week. I pretty much ride the road bike during the week since my rides are 90 minutes, or so. Then I use the tri bike for the long stuff on the weekend. It was also nice last week when I had to take the tri bike in for a new brake cable; I still had a bike to ride!

As far as the job goes, I love it, but it is an adjustment. My last school was rural and basically poor, and my new one is now in the suburbs and its annual tuition is more than I paid for my car. The kids are great, but it's definitely demanding. We had our parents' Open House last Thursday evening; the parents walk through their kids' schedule, with 7-minute classes, and my instructions were as follows: Show them, in 7 minutes, why their tuition is worth it. That wasn't daunting at all! It went well, though. So, overall, I really love it and I feel fortunate to have gotten the position. They said around 200 people applied for the position.
2014-09-01 1:21 AM

Did a fun oly length workout today.
The S and B were a little over distance.

The bike course was hilly as eff and burned up my legs.
The 10K seemed like it would never end.

I fell asleep around 7:30 and now I'm wide awake at 2 AM.
2014-09-01 10:28 AM
in reply to: #5045533

User image

It's official. I'm really sick. Heading to the urgent care doctor. So much for a strong 2 weeks of training before race day at the end of the month.

2014-09-01 10:46 AM

User image

Master

Nancy, hope they will be able to give you something that will clear all of this up. I'd go for a shot and a steroid pac if they'll give you one!

2014-09-01 3:31 PM

User image

Apparently I have bronchitis. I'm not on an antibiotic, some claritin D (OTC) the dry up the fluid in my head/ears and some sort of cough syrup with a narcotic in it to knock my out at night (so if I do cough, I'll only wake up my husband and not myself).

Jason...if you're around in the next day or so, I have a medical question (and I realize your an anethesiologist, but I value the opinion with anyone with true medical knowledge). They put me on levoflaxacin (500 mg twice/day). As an endurance athlete, would you ask for a different med based on the tendon issue side effect of this class of antibiotic? I'm just not sure how 'bad' the risk really is.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-09-01 3:32 PM
2014-09-01 3:58 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Apparently I have bronchitis. I'm not on an antibiotic, some claritin D (OTC) the dry up the fluid in my head/ears and some sort of cough syrup with a narcotic in it to knock my out at night (so if I do cough, I'll only wake up my husband and not myself).

Jason...if you're around in the next day or so, I have a medical question (and I realize your an anethesiologist, but I value the opinion with anyone with true medical knowledge). They put me on levoflaxacin (500 mg twice/day). As an endurance athlete, would you ask for a different med based on the tendon issue side effect of this class of antibiotic? I'm just not sure how 'bad' the risk really is.

I'm not a dr and I can't speak to the ATB but here we like mucinex (guaifenesin) to get the crap out of your chest. Just drink LOTS of water. All claritin D does for me is keep me awake

Sorry your sick but hopefully after a week on the meds you'll be ready to rock!! Rest up my friend!!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-09-01 4:00 PM
2014-09-01 4:39 PM

User image

Randee...I should own stock in mucinex, I think. Sadly, it's not cutting it at this time.

I'm trying to stay positive. I figure that at this point in time, my long runs are up to 11 miles, 60+ on the bike is fine, and I'm overly confident on the swim. I already know the run is going to suck regardless. So, if I miss two weeks of hard training, I'll be in no worse shape than I was last year (where my longest run had only been 10 miles and the swim still concerned me). I just want race day to arrive and I'll be 100%. Last year I developed an ear infection and cold the week before the race, so maybe I'm getting the crap done ahead of schedule. It's been a rough year with my body/health/infections/etc.

BTW...did you ever try the Randee saddle??? I thought you'd mentioned that Cobb was sending you one to try, but then I saw you were in the Specialized Ruby someplace else.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-09-01 4:42 PM
2014-09-01 6:46 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Yes. I probably would ask if there was an alternative antibiotic that would have similar coverage.

The likelihood of tendinopathy or tendon rupture is probably much less than 1% but the effect of the floxin antibiotics can last much longer than just the time you are on it. If someone later on decides to put you on a steroid dose for your bronchitis then the risk goes up significantly.

Again, the risk is incredibly low but if there is something else I would probably rather be on it. Especially because they are likely just empirically treating you without actually identifying a bacteria that they are treating.

If you decide not to switch I am pretty sure you will be ok but you asked what I would do......

2014-09-01 7:50 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-when I recently had my sinus infection my doctor put me on a different antibiotic than levoquin(sp?) as he was aware of the risk, although very small, of potential tendon issues. Sure hope you get to feeling better.  

2014-09-01 8:11 PM

User image

Thank you, Jason. Your thinking correlated nicely with mine.
2014-09-02 7:11 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee...I should own stock in mucinex, I think. Sadly, it's not cutting it at this time.

I'm trying to stay positive. I figure that at this point in time, my long runs are up to 11 miles, 60+ on the bike is fine, and I'm overly confident on the swim. I already know the run is going to suck regardless. So, if I miss two weeks of hard training, I'll be in no worse shape than I was last year (where my longest run had only been 10 miles and the swim still concerned me). I just want race day to arrive and I'll be 100%. Last year I developed an ear infection and cold the week before the race, so maybe I'm getting the crap done ahead of schedule. It's been a rough year with my body/health/infections/etc.

BTW...did you ever try the Randee saddle??? I thought you'd mentioned that Cobb was sending you one to try, but then I saw you were in the Specialized Ruby someplace else.

I did try the Randee saddle and it was too wide and too long so it went back.

THEN I went up North of Boston and spent 6 hours and nearly $500 of my life on a NEW FIT session from the ground up. Yep, I'm on the Ruby Specialized and have been on it 3 times now. I think it's a keeper. What a process though

Hope you're feeling a little better today!
2014-09-02 10:02 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Stuartap

Its been hot in the afternoons so I got out early for my 30 mile ride. Decided to punish myself a bit so I did my usual 18 mile ride which has one hill at the front and back end but then added 12 miles of all hills. I hate hills. But I did manage to pass two solo riders and one pair on the climbs. It doesn't really mean much but makes you feel a little better when you see a little progress. In the past I was always the guy getting passed on the hills.

I am playing around with nutrition a bit. What do you guys do on a 2-3 hour ride? Next weekend I have a 50 miler mapped out which I expect to be around 3 hours give or take. It will be my longest ride since returning post accident. Any favorite nutrition tips?

Thanks in advance..

Stuart,

It is never too early to start training like you race as far as nutrition goes. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I subscribe to the K. I. S. S. school of nutrition. I only take in liquid nutrition. Sports drink mixed to about 400 calories per bottle for me. I would go through about two bottles on a 50 mile ride plus probably an additional bottle of straight water. Juggling solids and liquids and gels and whatnot just got to be too much for me and my gut was never totally happy with all of those solids in it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19332 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.